Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Score one for American know-how. Californian exports beer to Germany.

--------------------

Some Germans thought Greg Koch was courageous. Others considered the
    Californian crazy.

In one of the world’s biggest beer drinking countries, already saturated with 1,388 breweries and 5,000 brands of beer, the entrepreneur from San Diego was determined to establish an American-style craft beer brewery.

It took courage, craziness — and chutzpah.

But a year after Koch opened his now-thriving brewery, beer garden and restaurant in the Mariendorf section of south-central Berlin, Germans are no longer laughing at the 52-year-old executive chairman and co-founder of Stone Brewing Co.

It is a cavernous temple to beer built out of the ruins of an abandoned gasworks plant dating to the turn of the last century. About half of the splendidly refurbished 34,000-square-foot factory floor in the red brick building was turned into the brewery that will produce 925,000 gallons of beer this year for Germany and export to 24 European countries — especially Britain, Sweden and the rest of Scandinavia.

The beer styles are, for the most part, the same as those Stone produces in the United States, including Stone IPA and Stone Ruination Double IPA.

The other half of the former gasworks, separated from the tropical temperatures in the brewery by a spectacular floor-to-ceiling glass window, is reserved for the relaxed, California-style restaurant for up to 1,100 people. It has a bar that features 75 beers on tap and, for German standards, uncommonly friendly service staff.

http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/...808-story.html

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Stone is amazing, by far my favorite brewer in the world.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Stone Ruination seasonal IPA FTMFW

..and baseline bum don't sell yourself short thinking Stone brews the best beers

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Knee Deep Breaking Bud smells good enough to fap to IMO

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Good for him. German beer is still the best. Too bad much of it is not imported here.
    Uber Alles

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Stone is amazing, by far my favorite brewer in the world.
    I'm not worthy.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Good for him. German beer is still the best. Too bad much of it is not imported here.
    Uber Alles
    What? There are a lot of German beers here in America... German beer is extremely popular.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    What? There are a lot of German beers here in America... German beer is extremely popular.
    Only a handful of big-name german brews available in most places I see in SA (Specs, total wine, etc). The best selection I've seen is that beer advent box at Costco that comes out once a year.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    Oregon micro-brews FTW!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Only a handful of big-name german brews available in most places I see in SA (Specs, total wine, etc). The best selection I've seen is that beer advent box at Costco that comes out once a year.
    Drive a few extra minutes up to New Braunfels?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Not a fan of vast majority of IPAs, there I said it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Wake Forest Demon Deacons
    It's like grinding up a bunch of grass and painkillers and making a drink out of it. There are a few I enjoy, but don't like most of them myself. More of a stout/porter guy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    It's like grinding up a bunch of grass and painkillers and making a drink out of it. There are a few I enjoy, but don't like most of them myself. More of a stout/porter guy.
    Very partial to Belgian Style Ales. Yeah, the whole MOAR HOPS craze in N.A. for me got out of hand where many ty beers were masking their flavor with the wave. Still some gems to be had, and of course to each his own.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Drive a few extra minutes up to New Braunfels?
    HEB central in downtown has a pretty decent selection. Unfortunately, you're more likely to find a wider variety of tacos than German beer in New Braunfels these days.

Best solution is to visit Germany. If one is a beer fan, this is an absolute must. Beer mecca. Nothing can touch it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    HEB central in downtown has a pretty decent selection. Unfortunately, you're more likely to find a wider variety of tacos than German beer in New Braunfels these days.

Best solution is to visit Germany. If one is a beer fan, this is an absolute must. Beer mecca. Nothing can touch it.
    Belgium > Germany, imho. Germany got the Hefe and Dunkel on lock. Belgium wins for variety, complexity and strength of their ales. I almost never left Belgium when I went 4 years ago.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Belgium > Germany, imho. Germany got the Hefe and Dunkel on lock. Belgium wins for variety, complexity and strength of their ales. I almost never left Belgium when I went 4 years ago.
    thank goodness you did, the muzzies are terrorizing it and civilians are dying in droves there now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green

Whaaaaaaaaat? That's no good. That's no good. I mean I like Hispanic culture and Mexican food too, but they shouldn't touch Germantown. I have German heritage and pride. I do see a lot more German than Mexican things still when I go up/down 35 going in and out of SA.

I don't have a passport, unfortunately, nor the funds or balls to go there if I could.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Very partial to Belgian Style Ales. Yeah, the whole MOAR HOPS craze in N.A. for me got out of hand where many ty beers were masking their flavor with the wave. Still some gems to be had, and of course to each his own.
    Yeah I'm right with yas. Pale ales is usually as far as I'll go in the hoppiness scale.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    in I feel ya. Went there and the Netherlands last year. Netherlands are pretty good as well, they're like Belgium lite when it comes to beers. Plus they also have the ganja.
    Last edited by 140; 08-12-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    A matter of taste. Belgium ales don't do anything for me. That whole sweet thing...naah.
    I prefer es most of all.
    In my view it's German or UK, or I'm not bothered.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I don't have a passport, unfortunately, nor the funds or balls to go there if I could.
    No funds I understand, but balls? Germany is incredibly easy to get around and safe.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    No funds I understand, but balls? Germany is incredibly easy to get around and safe.
    Terrorists. Merkel let 'em all in like The Who's Tommy.

Thread Culburn369 can attest.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    A matter of taste. Belgium ales don't do anything for me. That whole sweet thing...naah.
    I prefer es most of all.
    In my view it's German or UK, or I'm not bothered.
    Maybe you mean not super bitter, since many Belgian styles aren't really sweet...Lambic, Amber Ales, Tripple/Quadrupel, Saisons....But yes it's a matter of taste, I mean I can drink a certain style of beer to my liking from any country, tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Terrorists. Merkel let 'em all in like The Who's Tommy.

Thread Culburn369 can attest.
    I was there for a few months in 2012-13 before the refugee crisis. Even then, the middle eastern profile is noticeable in the bigger cities. Something I hadn't expected. Frankly, I enjoyed getting off the grid into the smaller cities and villages, where it's still mostly German.
    Despite their reputation for being stern and joyless, I found the Germans to have a greater joy of life than Americans. They enjoy their beer (which is consumed constantly, everywhere...no open container laws in Germany), their culture, festivals, public spaces, the outdoors, etc.
    For beerlovers, there's nothing like German Beer gardens. Talk about friendly. I was shocked to have total strangers sharing their snacks with me.
    I don't see how the refugees fit into all of that. Talk about a culture clash.

In short, go see it while you can, if you can. Funds are an issue - it ain't exactly cheap. I have a friend who lives over there & therefore I saved quite a bit on accommodation.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I was there for a few months in 2012-13 before the refugee crisis. Even then, the middle eastern profile is noticeable in the bigger cities. Something I hadn't expected. Frankly, I enjoyed getting off the grid into the smaller cities and villages, where it's still mostly German.
    Despite their reputation for being stern and joyless, I found the Germans to have a greater joy of life than Americans. They enjoy their beer (which is consumed constantly, everywhere...no open container laws in Germany), their culture, festivals, public spaces, the outdoors, etc.
    For beerlovers, there's nothing like German Beer gardens. Talk about friendly. I was shocked to have total strangers sharing their snacks with me.
    I don't see how the refugees fit into all of that. Talk about a culture clash.

In short, go see it while you can, if you can. Funds are an issue - it ain't exactly cheap. I have a friend who lives over there & therefore I saved quite a bit on accommodation.
    Correct. Vacationing in Thailand -- now that's the definition of cheap. The most expensive part is the flight & it's not close.

Thread Information