Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans

I've just about had it with me arms and legs. I saw a picture of myself on facebook from Easter in a sleeveless shirt and it was just plain ole gross (don't go trying to find it..I untagged that sucker).

I know I'm never going to be a perfect 110 lbs 5'3 girl without getting some type of Heidi Montag style surgery. That was shortly after I started the new job and now that I'm all settled I know I have some time to fit in some type if fitness routine in there.

I know a lot of you guys go to the gym and work out a ton (so maybe the same stuff you do isn't what I'm looking for). What type of stuff do you all do just to get started? How long did it take you to finally get into the "I have to go to the gym every X amount of times a week" mentality? I'm looking for something light to moderate and preferably no running involved (I'm a bad runner and crap out at like 1/2 a mile) to get toned and to lose some weight (thinking like 20-30 eventually).

I haven't taken the plunge into getting a gym membership yet....but maybe soon (I was actually thinking Planet Fitness since there are two close to my office and 1 close to home and it's only $20 a month). I was thinking like yoga/pilates, dance like tapes and stuff to see if I'll stick it out because knowing me I'll be all "workout work out work!" for a few weeks and then by mid June give up...

What do you think?

Too weird to live, and too rare to die. midgetonadonkey's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've lost 40 lbs just from calorie counting. In order to lose more I will have to start walking at least.

Good luck!

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I know the muscle heads will disagree, but I've found that a group aerobics class is a good start. Believe me I've started there many times Look around at continuing ed brochures, community rec centers. If you like dancing, aerobics is fun and fast, the hour is up before you know it. You'll meet women of all sizes and ages---there's a real sense of comraderie and support. It's a very motivating place to start, then you can move up to other things.

Master of Information Dr. Gonzo's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    TAMU-CC Islanders
    Damn. wrong account.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    we're all dead in 2012 you waited too long sweetie

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't know what advice to give for a girl Maybe look into P90X? It is the real deal and will work pretty fast.

The only advice I can give you is to research and experiment until you find a program that works and one which you can track progress. That's why lifting weights is easier to stick with rather than running in circles; you can track your lifts and see yourself getting stronger. I guess you can do that with running times, but with lifting you literally have like 20+ different lifts to keep it interesting. As long as you aren't doing heavy 5 rep sets, you will not bulk up either. Don't be afraid to lift weights as a girl. It will re-shape your body in a nice way a lot faster than cardio.

Lots of people want to complicate losing weight, but it scientifically comes down to one simple concept. Burn more calories than you consume in a day. i.e., If you are burning 2500 calories a day, eat 2000 calories. The only good thing about healthy food is it has no taste so you will not be tempted to eat too much of it. Small portions fill you up fast compared to huge portions of unhealthy food.

At first, working out will suck. Finding time in your schedule will suck. If you do it first thing in the morning, getting out of bed will suck. The key is to stick with it until it finally clicks and you literally cannot stop going to the gym. I went about 8 months before I started getting that natural high from working out. Now it is pretty much the only good part of the day.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    You're not going to like it, but running is amazing for losing weight and becoming healthier. Plus, it strengthens what is by far your most important muscle: your heart. If you crap out jogging half a mile, you just gotta keep doing it until you only crap out at 1 mile, then 2, and so on. It's really hard at first, but gets a lot easier after a few days, and the benefits are quickly noticeable the first few weeks. You don't have to sprint to gain enormous benefits. A quick jog every other day for 45 minutes to an hour plus cutting out junk food and sodas can do wonders.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    You're not going to like it, but running is amazing for losing weight and becoming healthier. Plus, it strengthens what is by far your most important muscle: your heart. If you crap out jogging half a mile, you just gotta keep doing it until you only crap out at 1 mile, then 2, and so on. It's really hard at first, but gets a lot easier after a few days, and the benefits are quickly noticeable the first few weeks. You don't have to sprint to gain enormous benefits. A quick jog every other day for 45 minutes to an hour plus cutting out junk food and sodas can do wonders.
    I'd love to be able to run. I'd love to do 5ks and half marathons and all that. And maybe I will work my way up to running/jogging....I tried it in college. It was the worst work out I've ever done. There was one time during my internship in Dallas when I was able to run more than half a mile and it was only because it was either go to the gym or punch all the co-workers in the face.

All the other times I ended up almost unable to walk with horrible shin splints even after half a mile and then there's the fatty exercised induced asthma. That's why I'm looking for something other than running to start out with. Maybe the end goal will be running, but right now..not so much.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you are starting out running, I recommend doing a 1 mile jog/walk (jog until out of breath, then walk to catch breath, repeat). If you do this every other day, you will quickly build up to a 1 mile jog, then work up to whatever distance you want dependant on your knees, feet, hips, etc.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'd love to be able to run. I'd love to do 5ks and half marathons and all that. And maybe I will work my way up to running/jogging....I tried it in college. It was the worst work out I've ever done. There was one time during my internship in Dallas when I was able to run more than half a mile and it was only because it was either go to the gym or punch all the co-workers in the face.

All the other times I ended up almost unable to walk with horrible shin splints even after half a mile and then there's the fatty exercised induced asthma. That's why I'm looking for something other than running to start out with. Maybe the end goal will be running, but right now..not so much.
    That's why I love aerobics, great starting point that led me to kick boxing and running. Both of those are real tough for girls to jump right into--- but it's true there is nothing better than running to drop weight fast.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah. When I got serious about working out my shins were like "woah...f*** that dude." I would just run a couple times a week until they hurt too bad. Then I'd take a week off and do it again the following week. I didn't bother icing them or anything like they always recommend. Just let the small fractures in the bone heal back up and they will be stronger than the last time. I would also get that thing where the lactic acid built up so much in my legs I would have to stop walking for a couple minutes You just have to let the body heal and pound away at it again the next day/week. Start crawling until you can walk and so on.

The main thing is just calories/nutrients. Whatever active stuff you do is just to help your metabolism fire up and help get the ball rolling. I think jogging a mile only burns like 200 calories which is basically a slice and a half of bread. Like baseline said though, running strengthens your heart and also gets the body to redirect blood vessels and all kinds of other crazy things to be a lot more efficient.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    drink water for the rest of your life and nothing else. do cardio, the aerobics thing is a good idea. do it daily. stick to grilled chicken and fish. do this for 2 months and you are set. problem is sticking to it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    In the past year I've gone from 258 to 186 just from going to the gym, eating less, and picking healthier food options (wheat over white, grilled over fried, more fruits and veggies, etc).

I haven't been to the gym in the past couple of weeks due to it being the first thing to suffer as the semester draws to a close and work piles up, but by just maintaining healthy eating habits, I can maintain my new weight.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Start on a treadmill. That will get your legs in shape and your heart pumping. Stay on the treadmill at least 35 minutes. Start at a level you feel comfortable with. Then after a couple of weeks you can adjust the intensity and incline. Before you get on the treadmill work on some weights first to get your heart rate up plus a trainer told me the weights burn the sugar first.

Watch what you eat. Remember losing weight is all about burning more calories than you take in. Eat smart.

The biggest key is that first 7-10 days. Once you have gone to the gym most of those days you will have lost some weight and inches and have some momentum to keep working.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    Go to a gym with hot people. That motivates you to lift. If you get looks then from a hot ass girl then it motivates you more to lift so you can bang them.

Thats all there is to it.

You do know who you're responding to, right?

Thanks to everyone else for being so helpful with the push towards running/jogging. Hopefully I'll get there sometime soon.

These aren't the droids you're looking for jman3000's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    calorie count, don't eat a couple hours before going to bed, and staying somewhat active (whether it be jogging, dancing, swimming) are all pretty basic things to start out with. Just don't lose so much weight that your boobs disappear.

Scarlett our Goddess4ever
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    If you're a girl you'd better not do much exercising as a means of weight losing. I think girls need to start with a healthier diet if they indeed want to lose weight. Doing too much exercise may possible help combust some adipose but the collateral effects will include overeating as a result of a bigger need for calorie, which 90% ends up converting a thin&lovely girl into a stout woman like Becky Hammon. It's up to your choice though, if you consider Becky lovely/feminine/luscious... it's fine you do whatever he does.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you HAVE to eat junk food just try different options like say the baked line verses the fried chips. Instead of ranch dip, use salsa. Sodas and high sugar drinks are really the hidden killer when it comes to calories. And fast food is pretty much the death to any diet. Actually any fried food period isn't good. And running is alot easier if you invest in a good pair of shoes. I run daily on the treadmill about two and a half miles, I found it to be a breeze once I got a good pair of shoes. But if you can't run start out with the bike and build your endurance there, then move on to actually running.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Drop high caloried drinks if you haven't already (try coke zero or minute maid lemonade light)

Jogging/running would be great, but start out just walking, try to get in about 2 miles everyday or every other day. Once you feel like you've got a good thing going, jog at your leisure. Just work up a sweat whatever you're doing.

I lost a lot of weight those ways myself.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    If you HAVE to eat junk food just try different options like say the baked line verses the fried chips. Instead of ranch dip, use salsa. Sodas and high sugar drinks are really the hidden killer when it comes to calories. And fast food is pretty much the death to any diet. Actually any fried food period isn't good.
    Cookies are my downfall. If I see a cookie I'll eat it. It's horrible. And it doesn't help that my co-workers bake cookies on the weekends and then put them in the break room. As far as snaking goes, I've been eating those stringy cheese stick things for a while, trail mix and bananas for some time. Another downfall is that the girls in my office go out for lunch..all the time. I know there are healthy alternatives when going out, it's just choosing them.

And you, not eating fried food? That's sacrilegious!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Walking is fine, and you will stick to it.

Set realistic goals.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The wedding dress hanging on the back of my closet door motivates the heck out of me. I've been doing a good balance of weights and cardio and have had very good results. The more lean muscle you build, the more calories you burn even at rest. And unless you're a 'roid user you're a girl ... you won't bulk up like a guy. And as you lose weight, you'll have really nice definition to your muscles (arms!).

If you can push yourself to workout at least 4 days a week ... After about 2 weeks you'll start feeling crappy when you skip.
    Last edited by SpursWoman; 05-02-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    The aerobics are a good idea. If you are interested in weights, be sure to do less weight and more reps with minimal rest in between sets(start at 1 min rest and work down to around 30 sec as you can tolerate it). This will give you more tone than size. Free weights are the best. You can almost every muscle group in your body with a set of dumbbells.

If you really want to get a good leg workout with your cardio I'd suggest finding somewhere that has nice long sets of stairs you can walk up an down or walk up and down bleachers at a local high school. Bleachers helped me get in the best shape of my life a few years back and I've been thinking about going back to them.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Rofl at p90x. what the IS that? Sounds bogus and like another "quick fix".

WeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaAaAaaaaKkkkkkkkk

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Rofl at p90x. what the IS that? Sounds bogus and like another "quick fix".

WeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaAaAaaaaKkkkkkkkk
    What a ing re .

Thread Information