Page 1 of 73 123451151 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    I was actually impressed at the amount of knowledgeable US fans here so maybe we can actually have a running news thread much like the MMA forum does. And really, since there isn't much to look forward to as a US MNT fan outside of the world cup ( ing Euros have all the fun) there is the LOLGOLD cup and Copa America if we go again.

In any event, I guess I'll get things started with how I think the team will look in four years

Assuming Davies recovers fully I think we'll have as good a set of forwards as we've ever hard. Altidore and Davies will obviously both still be in their primes, but the rest of our forwards will likely be too old and I don't see them hitting a much higher ceiling anyway. Findley is the only other young forward but he was pretty damn bad this WC so I don't expect much out of him anyway

Midfield looks great. Will probably still have Dempsey and Donovan but the youth movement is incredible. This WC will be remembered as Donovan's but really it was pretty close to being Bradley's. He was simply amazing and was the most consistent US player for me. Edu and Feilhabar both showed great signs and should be in their primes come Brazil in 2014. Allthough Torres didn't look very good in his one game he's definitely got a bright future and I'm looking forward to him. Don't laugh, but I still hold out faith in Freddy Adu developing into something worthwihle. He definitely has the talent and although most label him as a bust its worthwhile to remember the guy is only 21 years old. If he can find a work ethic to match his talent he may turn into a quality player.

Defense wise, we're losing the old guard of Bocanegra, Demerrit and Cherundulo but I think Gooch will still be around. Can Spector ever develop into a quality player?

My Team
    Uruguay
    Post Count
    no love for Onyewu?

Post Count
    Adu must actually be like 28 years old....dude needs to take a bone density test. He just got released by his Greek club Aris. It's safe to say I'm not holding my breath anymore. He just can't seem to getting consistent playing time at any club he plays for. I have more hope for Eddie Johnson now. In retrospect, Johnson should've been there instead of Findley. Quite frankly, I was shocked Buddle made the final 23. He shut me up when he scored against Australia but he's just not a international player. He has a horrible first touch, below par soccer IQ and less than stellar speed. Eddie Johnson has all of that (except IQ) and a finishing touch. He plays for Greek club Aris and has been scoring. As far as forwards, I hope Altidore, Johnson, and Davies can gain more experience in Europe and we get couple more youngsters. 17 year old Jack Mcinerney played really well in the U20 national team and is now with Philadelphia Union. It still stings that New Jersey born Guiseppe Rossi decided to play for the Azzurri. LOL ITALY. I could only begin to think what he could have done for us.

Midfield is definitely our biggest strength. Bradley's team BMG will getting some calls for his services I think. He's a great ball hawk. US played their best soccer when he was partnered with Edu. It allowed Bradley to play in a more advanced role to get into the attack. Clark has more speed than Edu but that's pretty much it. Edu seems more composed and showed class in his ball movement. Midfield wise, USA could be striking gold if Charles Renken and Joseph Gyau can develop their world class ability. They also played in the U20 national team. They impressed so much that they were picked up the Hoffenheim academy in Germany. Michael Hoyos is also a very talented 18 year old playing in Argentina right now and there's Mix Diskerud of Stabek in Norway. We are very deep in the midfield. Dempsey and Donovan should still be around to lead the next wave of US players.

As for defense, it is still worrying. Bocanegra/Demerit played decent at times but they are still average. Their lack of speed showed against Ghana and it sucked to give up easy goals. Demerit plays for Watford in the championship and hasn't exactly played against WC talent. Gooch is a good player but Bradley just didn't have confidence in him since he was coming back from injury. All of the back 4 are getting up there in years. Bocanergra and Demerit will certainly be out next time around in Brazil. Cherundolo is 31 so he's probably out too. Bornstein played well but I hope we get a better left back. I have zero confidence in Spector. If we can pick up Daniel Williams for the right back, that'd be awesome. He was born in Germany but he has an American father and he's only 20. He plays for Freiburg in Germany. It'll be interesting to see if we can pick him up because I don't think he's crack into Germany's lineup. As for other prospects, there is some promise in Gale Agbossoumonde who plays for Braga in Portugal, Ike Opara, Orozco, Eric Lichaj of Villa, Omar Gonzalez

Manny,
    Gold cup 11(winner qualifies for confed cup of 13)
    Olympics12(enough said)
    Confed cup 13(hopefully)
    World cup brazil 14

Big tourney each year till world cup. Cant ask for more amigo!

Plus we have a friendly in NJ against Brazil August 10th
    and a poland friendly TBD by end of year.

Since Bradly has taken the reigns The USA has been playing more games than ever before.

All in favor of a Dedicated USA Soccer forum say Aye!! AYE!

Kori please second this motion and lets get it up
    Last edited by The_Worlds_finest; 06-28-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    Post Count
    LMAO Freddy Adu. I feel bad for the kid, but that was a clear case as a kid developing faster than his peers but then around age 17 to 18 everyone else caught up. He's nothing but a bit player in weak leagues.

The US had a very good midfield but had two problems - no striker quality to finish and horrible back 4 who f'd up consistently. Fix that back line and you may have a contender or near contender.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    The problem is that outside of Davies and Altidore we really have nothing coming up the pipeline strikerwise. Just gotta pray that Altidore and Davies both improve to a solid pair because our Midfield looks damn good for 2014. `

Post Count
    The problem is that outside of Davies and Altidore we really have nothing coming up the pipeline strikerwise. Just gotta pray that Altidore and Davies both improve to a solid pair because our Midfield looks damn good for 2014. `
    Hopefully Altidore can develop into that world class striker by 2014 by playing in one of the top world leagues. If you look at it, every big world cup contender has that world class striker/finisher - Messi, Ozil/Close, Robinho, David Villa, Robben, etc. It's just something contenders have to have.
    Last edited by Whisky Dog; 06-28-2010 at 12:42 PM.

My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    Hopefully Altidore can develop into that world class striker by 2014 by playing in one of the top world leagues. If you look at it, every big world cup contender has that world class striker/finisher - Messi, Oziel/Close, Robinho, David Silva, Robben, etc. It's just something contenders have to have.

Ozil, Klose, David VILLA

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    I agree that the U.S are 1 or 2 strikers away from being a very scary team, but they will also need to have future replacements for their midfielders

Donovan and Dempsey (Demp is a miedfielder, right?) are in their prime, so it's important to think ahead of the 2014 WC

My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    I agree that the U.S are 1 or 2 strikers away from being a very scary team, but they will also need to have future replacements for their midfielders

Donovan and Dempsey (Demp is a miedfielder, right?) are in their prime, so it's important to think ahead of the 2014 WC
    I'm not sold on their defense, I think they have a good midfield with Dempsey and Bradley... but let's think about this for a second.

Tim Howard is 31....

Who can replace Howard? He didn't look too good in this World Cup.

I still think the USA has a long way to go.

Bob Bradley might be on his way out. The article talks about our lack of strikers.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901?ver=us

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    You're right that after the England game Tim Howard didn't look outstanding and that was extremely disappointing. One of the biggest reasons the US was able to get to the Quarters in 02 was because of Brad Friedel and if Tim Howard's head isn't up his ass on the first Ghana goal then maybe we're in the quarters again.

We have good keeper talent and we always have though. The midfield has a lot of solid prospects even outside of Bradley and Edu so I think we'll be fine there. I agree our defense looks week and a lot of our future hopes are currently riding on Altidore and Davies up front.

My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    You're right that after the England game Tim Howard didn't look outstanding and that was extremely disappointing. One of the biggest reasons the US was able to get to the Quarters in 02 was because of Brad Friedel and if Tim Howard's head isn't up his ass on the first Ghana goal then maybe we're in the quarters again.

We have good keeper talent and we always have though. The midfield has a lot of solid prospects even outside of Bradley and Edu so I think we'll be fine there. I agree our defense looks week and a lot of our future hopes are currently riding on Altidore and Davies up front.
    I agree, Bradley and Edu are solid. Torres hasn't shown much, but didn't get much of an opportunity.

You should be worried about Mexico though

Not to mention Franco and Blanco are just about done...
    We have a great young goalkeeper in Ochoa, and Dos Santos, Chicharito, Barrera, Guardado, and Vela who are all still improving. We also need some work with our defense, our guys are getting older and a few positions on our midfield.

Overall I think we're on good track with lots of options.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    And I don't think a 35 year old Howard necessarily needs replacing. That isn't really old for a keeper.

Gulati had good and bad things to say about Bradley. I think he's still got a hard on for Klinnsman, though. Some of Klinnsman's comments this past weekend were pretty harsh towards Bradley but he's been very supportive of him in the past.

It will be interesting to see how MLS will now feel about releasing players for smaller compe ions like Copa America and the Gold Cup because after this WC they have to see how their biggest avenue to fan base growth is going to be through the national team. Getting these guys exposure will only serve to help the MLS so I hope they stop being short sighted.

My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    And I don't think a 35 year old Howard necessarily needs replacing. That isn't really old for a keeper.

Gulati had good and bad things to say about Bradley. I think he's still got a hard on for Klinnsman, though. Some of Klinnsman's comments this past weekend were pretty harsh towards Bradley but he's been very supportive of him in the past.

It will be interesting to see how MLS will now feel about releasing players for smaller compe ions like Copa America and the Gold Cup because after this WC they have to see how their biggest avenue to fan base growth is going to be through the national team. Getting these guys exposure will only serve to help the MLS so I hope they stop being short sighted.
    Bradley didn't make too many mistakes, with the exception of the Ghana game where he started Clark. I've always feared him as a coach, he has exposed Mexico a lot of times in the past. Getting rid of him will be a mistake.

Aggieland Spurs Fan LoneStarState'sPride's Avatar
    Post Count
    I know it's been beat to death, but the keyword is "strikers." Strikers, strikers, strikers. Midfield has been a strength, but we don't have anyone to legitimately strike fear into opponents on D.

I'm still confident in Altidore though--give or take a few inches, we'd still be alive in the WC and talking about Jozy with 2 goals in 2 wins for the USMNT.

I agree, Bradley and Edu are solid. Torres hasn't shown much, but didn't get much of an opportunity.

You should be worried about Mexico though

Not to mention Franco and Blanco are just about done...
    We have a great young goalkeeper in Ochoa, and Dos Santos, Chicharito, Barrera, Guardado, and Vela who are all still improving. We also need some work with our defense, our guys are getting older and a few positions on our midfield.

Overall I think we're on good track with lots of options.
    Worried about mexico? LOL USA has left Mexico in the dust. What has it been the last decade 7-3-1? Worried about mexico HA! You guys should be worried about Honduras

Post Count

Ozil, Klose, David VILLA
    LOL my stupid iPhone changes Villa to Silva and I didn't notice. What are the odds it changes the name to another guy who is actually on the team, freaky.

I'm sensing a goal from David Silva tomorrow, the gods are fortelling it LOL

My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    Worried about mexico? LOL USA has left Mexico in the dust. What has it been the last decade 7-3-1? Worried about mexico HA! You guys should be worried about Honduras
    This Mexican team is nowhere near close to any of the teams in the past decade... even a homer like you should realize that.

My Team
    USA
    Post Count
    There is a lot of young talent coming through the MLS academies - the first batches just hitting the league now. We'll see what they bring.

I agree with everything else. Midfield will remain a strength. Holden going to Europe will get him some good experience too.

GK we shouldn't have to worry about. Even without Howard, we have lots of talent there.

Striker and defense. Must improve greatly.

Post Count
    I'm not sold on their defense, I think they have a good midfield with Dempsey and Bradley... but let's think about this for a second.

Tim Howard is 31....

Who can replace Howard? He didn't look too good in this World Cup.

I still think the USA has a long way to go.
    Brad Guzan of Aston Villa is pretty good. He's only 25

My Team
    USA
    Post Count
    Rumors are that Man City and Chelsea are both interested in Landon. I think the Galaxy can pretty much kiss him goodbye at this point.

Will be interesting to see what teams go after Bradley as well. I think Howard's performance this cup will leave him in Everton.

My Team
    USA
    Post Count
    PS: I love this thread too. Hopefully we can get it stickied. On another note - how about a dedicated Soccer/Football/Futbol forum?

Post Count
    PS: I love this thread too. Hopefully we can get it stickied. On another note - how about a dedicated Soccer/Football/Futbol forum?
    I'm down with that. Between Premier, La Liga, Champions League, etc there's plenty of things going on all the time.

Post Count
    US Soccer Prez Gulalti said he US soccer didn't meet expectations and he expects to have a meeting with Bradley very soon. I couldn't be happier. Bradley will probably be canned.

Thread Information