Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, don't know why I didn't realize that. So, with the exception of # of years, the Spurs LLE is now has more money left than their MLE. However, I don't expect them to use either at this point, and the current roster could be very close to the final roster.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs dig up a vet min guy sometime between now and the start of the season. But that's probably about it. Depending how much Neal is going to get paid there might be enough MLE left to beat a vet min contract and that could come in handy after the trading deadline when guys start getting bought out.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs dig up a vet min guy sometime between now and the start of the season.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't surprise me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs dig up a vet min guy sometime between now and the start of the season. But that's probably about it. Depending how much Neal is going to get paid there might be enough MLE left to beat a vet min contract and that could come in handy after the trading deadline when guys start getting bought out.
    While I think either a vet big man or vet swing would make a lot of sense for this team, I don't know that they can swing it financially without going over the luxury tax line and/or giving up on 3 of their 4 young (non-guaranteed) prospects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nando better pay attention and step up his game overseas
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure when Nando will make sense now to bring over. With the glut of SG's and shooters that the team has brought in, when will we see a De Colo jersey in San Antonio?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure when Nando will make sense now to bring over. With the glut of SG's and shooters that the team has brought in, when will we see a De Colo jersey in San Antonio?
    At this rate the SPurs will end up cutting most of their young players to make room for Neal and Bogans and Jefferson, so they can start over fresh next year and dump Nando in another year for nothing.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I think either a vet big man or vet swing would make a lot of sense for this team, I don't know that they can swing it financially without going over the luxury tax line and/or giving up on 3 of their 4 young (non-guaranteed) prospects.
    I think it's pretty much a certainty that the Spurs are going to cut loose at least 3 guys out of the Temple/Hairston/Gee/Jerrells group. Maybe even all 4 if they find a vet min guy to their liking. That should keep them far enough away from the LT line to add someone late in the season. If they don't like any of the buyout victims then they can always bring one or two of those guys back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    any indication as to the salary?

will it be the minimum (for Neal that's 885k I believe)? or have we used the rest of the MLE (the only way we can pay him more I believe)
    As Neal has not played in the NBA before, his minimum salary in 10/11 is $473,604.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q11

I would be surprised if he got much more than that guaranteed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't surprise me.
    Would surprise me. We have so many small players on contract (or obligation to contract) already

Parker, Hill, Neal, Temple, Manu, Anderson, Hairston, Gee...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hairston and Neal have very different skill sets so i don't really see this signing as something that pushes Hairston down/out of the roster. I'll be surprised if the Spurs keep both Gee and Hairston. And considering the time they've put in to developing Malik, i can't imagine the Spurs favoring Gee.
    This.

Malik's Block per game average is very good and IMO he'll have the most minutes / better shot at being a 15 minutes contributor than anyone else.

His absence on SL and the Spurs declaring that they know what they have with Malim pretty much tells just that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at this Neal signing and seeing how the Spurs hoped for, but missed out on Wesley Matthews, I just wonder who is going to defend on the perimeter for this team?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would surprise me. We have so many small players on contract (or obligation to contract) already

Parker, Hill, Neal, Temple, Manu, Anderson, Hairston, Gee...
    If the Spurs sign Bogans, it's a sure signal that Hairston, Gee and Temple are all on the way out.

If the Spurs are bound and determined to grab a useless vet, they'll sign Morrisson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    supersmallball!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs dig up a vet min guy sometime between now and the start of the season.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at this Neal signing and seeing how the Spurs hoped for, but missed out on Wesley Matthews, I just wonder who is going to defend on the perimeter for this team?
    That ship has sailed. The Spurs for 2-3 years now have been looking to out-score folks. This signing continues the trend. This guy will be a situational player, sort of like Steve Kerr when he was with us years ago.

The fact is Neal is a scorer. We have very few true 'scorers' on this team. It's a welcome signing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, I'm a little late to the party, but here are a few thoughts from my end:

-This is a good signing for the Spurs, both basketball-wise and financially. Neal was a very good player in Europe, so he has a nice track record, but is still young enough (26 this fall) to have a little upside.

Financially, I felt the Spurs had a much better chance of staying under the luxury tax back when everyone thought they were going to sign Richards (rookie minimum, very cheap contract). Contract-wise, they got Neal to replace him. Time will tell if the Spurs intend on staying under the luxury tax, primarily indicated by whether they use their LLE or remaining MLE. While I think this means that only 2 of Temple/Hairston/Gee/Jerrels will make the team now, whereas before 3 looked like a decent chance, don't rule out this possibility: Spurs keep a 14 or 15 man roster most of the year, then salary dump the least promising player at the trade deadline like they did Ratliff last year, thus getting a fuller evaluation while not paying luxury tax.

-The one thing that most people are missing on Neal is that he's not just a spot-up shooter. I know that's primarily what he did in summer league, but the dude is a flat-out scorer. He can drive, finish at the rim, penetrate-and-dish, has a nice mid-range jumper off the dribble, and will work well in pick-and-roll sets. He's a very efficient scorer inside the arc (often shooting near-or-above 50% on FGs in Europe), and honestly his biggest question mark shooting-wise was whether he was a good enough 3-point shooter for the NBA. In that way, I think the Spurs and Spurs fans will be somewhat disappointed; unless he's improved tremendously in the offseason, expect his 3PT% to be near 35%, not the 50% he shot in summer league.

-The big question mark for Neal on this Spurs team is defense. At previous levels, he hasn't shown much interest and/or skill at defending. However, in summer league he appeared to me to have put on some muscle, and could turn out to be a hard-nosed defender if he so chooses. While turning him into a defender won't happen overnight, he may gain some serious motivation when Pop gives him the "play defense or don't play at all" speech. If Neal ends up getting sent down to Austin, defense is the #1 thing they'll want him to work on, with perhaps passing being a distant 2nd.

-The bottom line for the Spurs in this signing is that they felt they had found some true talent through the summer league, and didn't want to let him go. While they aren't the same player, I think a good comparison is Anthony Morrow. The Warriors found Morrow on their summer league roster and didn't let go, even though he was probably getting offers left and right from several NBA teams after tearing up Vegas and Salt Lake City. Similarly, the Spurs did the prudent thing and locked up Neal despite competing offers from Europe and perhaps other NBA teams. Morrow played two very good seasons with Golden State, but when he signed a 3 year, $12 million offer sheet this summer, the Warriors had to let him walk away due to financial reasons. While I don't expect Neal to come close to replicating Morrow's numbers, if he does break-out in the NBA, the Spurs have him locked up for 3 seasons in contrast to Morrow's 2.
    Excellent write up!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That ship has sailed. The Spurs for 2-3 years now have been looking to out-score folks. This signing continues the trend. This guy will be a situational player, sort of like Steve Kerr when he was with us years ago.

The fact is Neal is a scorer. We have very few true 'scorers' on this team. It's a welcome signing.
    Knowing what you've stated is true, it's really funny for me to continue hearing the NBA analysts (studio and game), on the various networks laud the Spurs and Pop, for their supposed "defense first" mantra. A recent example occurred during summer league action. When referencing the Spurs summer league squad, many of the analysts proclaimed "if you're going to make this Spurs team, you'd better be concerned with playing defense first because that was Pop demands and that's what they've built their foundation on".

Really?

Spurs still have the masses fooled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knowing what you've stated is true, it's really funny for me to continue hearing the NBA analysts (studio and game), on the various networks laud the Spurs and Pop, for their supposed "defense first" mantra. A recent example occurred during summer league action. When referencing the Spurs summer league squad, many of the analysts proclaimed "if you're going to make this Spurs team, you'd better be concerned with playing defense first because that was Pop demands and that's what they've built their foundation on".

Really?

Spurs still have the masses fooled.
    In fairness the coaches, including Pop, and the players have stated before each season that they are going to try and get back to that. The just have not had the second big and perimeter defender to really pull that off.

Its really a question of what they want to do versus what they actually can do.

Don't lose. You're cool. Canibspur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. I'm guessing only the first season is guaranteed.

Pretty damn shocking since the Spurs have a lot of depth at shooting guard. Where does Neal fit with Ginobili, Hill and Anderson getting time at shooting guard? Plus, Temple, Gee and Hairston could potentially also play the two.

I liked Neal in summer league but an unathletic 6-foot-4 shooting guard has an uphill climb to make the NBA.

Congrats, Choo Choo.

think theyre trying to work some behind the scenes magic and trade a couple of our 2s to upgrade our 3??

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neal was very good last year in Europe, so Spurs very likely had to offer either guaranteed money and a number a bit higher than the minimum of 473K.
    even considering Euro teams no longer can pay what they used to pay in the last years, I assume he got some better offers there. (maybe close to 1 million Euro?). so, even if he gives the Spurs a discount because he wants to get into the NBA, I do expect they gave him something close to a million $.

btw. Neal brings pretty much every quality the Spurs could expect from Anderson. (Anderson is a bit taller, but it's not that he brings in above average size for the SG).
    Anderson isn't signed yet. any chance Spurs still explore what they could get for his rights?

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guy definitely looks like a pure shooter. Something we had but disappeared when we started last season. Not bad pickup, low risk high reward if he manages to make an impact in the rotation.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neal was very good last year in Europe, so Spurs very likely had to offer either guaranteed money and a number a bit higher than the minimum of 473K.
    even considering Euro teams no longer can pay what they used to pay in the last years, I assume he got some better offers there. (maybe close to 1 million Euro?). so, even if he gives the Spurs a discount because he wants to get into the NBA, I do expect they gave him something close to a million $.

btw. Neal brings pretty much every quality the Spurs could expect from Anderson. (Anderson is a bit taller, but it's not that he brings in above average size for the SG).
    Anderson isn't signed yet. any chance Spurs still explore what they could get for his rights?
    Could a possibility be that Anderson's injury is more serious than actually believed? Perhaps hes going to miss sometime during the regular season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe we can bring Finley back as a player-coach to mentor Neal on basketball ethics.

Spurs Fan Since '76 bigbendbruisebrother's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's the postgame interview from the Grizz game (with highlights). I couldn't get it to embed for some reason...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr6VPwFL8-8
    Last edited by bigbendbruisebrother; 07-22-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Spurs Fan Since '76 bigbendbruisebrother's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe we can bring Finley back as a player-coach to mentor Neal on basketball ethics.

Lesson one: When the going gets tough, beg to be released so you can sign with a contender.

Thread Information