Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As Neal has not played in the NBA before, his minimum salary in 10/11 is $473,604.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q11

I would be surprised if he got much more than that guaranteed.
    Will count as 854K against the luxury tax.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q16

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he got minimum guaranteed with his contract going up to 1-1.5million.

Spurs Fan Since '76 bigbendbruisebrother's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reminiscent of the Memorial Day Miracle shot....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who wants to put money down that neal will be better than bonner this season
    Different position. But I can see if given PT and he produces, that GN will be playing during clutch time when a 3pt shot is needed.

Duncan
    Anderson
    Ginobili
    Neal
    Hill

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have two serious questions? who is going on the inactive list? and who will be on the active list? as the roster is constructed now we only have two active spots but all togather we have five open spots. but gee, hairston and temple are going to be pretty disappointed if there going to be on the inactive list. we know that out five big man will be there. hill, parker, manu, RJ, james anderson. those are the given that will be on there and only twelve players can be active so that leaves gee, hairston, temple, neal, having to fight for two active spots on the roster, but everyone can be on the roster, that not the problem, but pop said that temple is his new favorite player, so he has to play, they gave neal a guaranteed contract so he has to play, what about alonzo gee and malik hairston, this is confusing.
    Cm'on guys...let's get organized.
    This is the Gary Neal thread.
    Start another thread for roster theories.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't talking about guys getting cut, I was talking about guys who's roles just became obsolete.

Temple is now officially obsolete. The spurs might still have him sitting behind the bench in a suit as insurance but I don't really see how he fits with the current rotation now unless one of Parker, Hill, or Ginobili misses games.
    After his performance in REAL games last year, how he started off before the sprain in SL, versatile 6'6" players like Temple don't become obsolete. If anything, should Hill & Temple progress further, and that is not beyond the realm of possibility, he makes trading TP for a better fitting piece and draft picks even more imaginable come next February.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does this include Kerr? IIRC he got us past Dallas after riding the pine.
    If Neal's shooting % turns out to be close to Kerr's, he'll probably get more PT since his (Neal's) D will most likely be more tolerable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reminiscent of the Memorial Day Miracle shot....

good stuff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JMcDonald_SAEN
    Source outside #spurs org believes Neal deal indeed fully guaranteed. Thinks Neal could take Roger Mason minutes from last season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pops Wet Dream:

On the floor

PG - Hill
    SG - Neal
    SF - Anderson
    PF - Bonner
    C - Duncan

4 Shooters to surround Duncan
    Where's Ginobili? You can bet he'd replace Bonner in the playoffs. As for the reg season, if you're needing to get back into a game in the second half and need 3PT, you're going small ball...which leaves out Bonner and his Ole' defence -- thank heavens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Far too many doomsayers getting around here. Relax people....I'm fairly confident that that Spurs know what they are doing. It's not like they've plucked him out of nowhere. He's been with the team for a few weeks now and the Spurs will know him fairly well.
    "Fairly" confident?

As for Neal, it isnt' like he appeared out of nowhere. Spurs invited him to the SL roster so he's obviously been on the FO radar longer than a few weeks, which is what it took for GN to take advantage of his opp.

I see a "rags to riches" story somewhere down the road.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the contract details?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two words: Steve Kerr.

They hope

...but with better potential to play Spurs D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...btw. Neal brings pretty much every quality the Spurs could expect from Anderson. (Anderson is a bit taller, but it's not that he brings in above average size for the SG).
    Anderson isn't signed yet. any chance Spurs still explore what they could get for his rights?
    Someone had compared Anderson to a young Michael Finley. And since he dropped down to the Spurs (thanks for/to the hamstring injury), he's going to be around awhile. But thanks for anyway.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pg-Parker,Temple
    Sg-Manu,Hill,Neal
    Sf-Jefferson,,Anderson
    Pf-Blair,Dice,Bonner
    C-Duncan,Splitter

Active Roster....whats the big deal??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Calm down. This is just like Marcus Haislip of last season. Neal wont play either

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neal at a glance: undersized guard, rapist, no defense... humm nice

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Kerr was the backup at point for most of that season. Speedy got hurt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Calm down. This is just like Marcus Haislip of last season. Neal wont play either
    Haislip wouldn't have done as well in Summer League as Tyler Wilkerson did. I'm just sayin...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do, but he's still a true rookie with no experience beyond college. Neal has several years of overseas experience playing lots of minutes in a big role...which makes him more NBA ready at this point. He's decent, cheap insurance.
    Oh, you meant experience wise.

Cool!!! Glad the Spurs snagged Neal!

As was stated in the Memphis Summer League game blog and elsewhere, Neal is more than just your average D-Leaguer. He was the Italian League scoring leader. He showed that he was strong, savvy and could really score with no fear of putting the ball up.

It was going to take a decent commitment to bring him in. I'm much happier about this signing than I was with the Marcus Haislip signing last year.

Anderson replaces Mason
    Neal probably replaces Bogans
    It was. Even though he's eligible, I can't see him leaving Europe, where he's a got-go guy, to go to the D-League. I expect he'll be a regular member of the active roster and competing with Anderson for rotation minutes as the designated wing shooter off the bench.

I think Neal replaces Mason and Anderson replaces Finley.

I could be wrong, but I presume Anderson and Neal are competing for one spot in the rotation and Hairston and Gee are competing for another spot.

The Spurs need someone off the bench to guard top opposition wings and Anderson and Neal aren't cut out for it. That's why I suspect Hairston has a good chance to not only make the team, but be, if not entirely in the rotation, at least on the fringe of it.

Here's the other thing that this signing signals (even though it was fairly clear already given that they were focused on adding shooting and made no mention of looking for another defender): There's a good chance Jefferson will often draw the assignment of guarding top opposition wings.

The Spurs are going to have to fill that role by committee out of necessity. Jefferson, Hill, Ginobili and Hairston (I'd add Gee, but I suspect he'll spend the vast majority of the season with the Toros) will all likely have to play a part.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeff McDonald JMcDonald_SAEN

Spurs announce signing of Gary Neal. See? Summer League does pay. #spurs

----

I guess we will see something official on spurs.com soon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs

Spurs Sign Gary Neal http://bit.ly/arK3NY

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JMcDonald_SAEN

Spurs' attraction to Gary Neal began at June mini-camp. Buford: "He came into our gym and was one of the best shooters there."

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popovich: "He looked like a tiny Anthony Tolliver. I almost cried."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popovich: "He looked like a tiny Anthony Tolliver. I almost cried."

Thread Information