Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs Sign Gary Neal
    Courtesy: Athletic Media Relations
    Release: 07/22/2010
    TOWSON, Md. - Gary Neal, who broke 14 Towson records during his two-year career with the Tigers, has signed a three-year contract with San Antonio following an eye-opening NBA Summer League performance last week when he led the Spurs to a 5-0 record in the Las Vegas session.

Neal becomes the second Tiger to play in the NBA. Kurk Lee, who led the Tigers to their first NCAA Tournament appearance 20 years ago, played one season with the New Jersey Nets before enjoying a successful career overseas.

"I can't express how happy I am and how proud all of us are here at Towson for Gary," said Tigers head coach Pat Kennedy. "I have had several players play in the NBA and I can say undoubtedly that Gary is one of the hardest workers and most determined young men I have ever worked with. I believe he will have a long career in the league."

"In one of the most brilliant Las Vegas shooting displays this side of the famed Gun Store," wrote Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News, "Neal made six 3-pointers and scored 25 points - including 13 in the game's first 2:45 - to pace the Spurs to a 78-64 victory in their league finale."

Neal finished the championship game with 25 points. He led the Spurs in scoring for the five games with a 16.0 average. He made 17 of 30 from beyond the NBA arc.

Four days later the former Tiger penned the contract.

Unlike Lee, Neal played overseas before joining the NBA ranks. He made the most of his overseas experience. In three seasons he led two leagues in scoring.

Neal went undrafted after his collegiate career ended in 2006-07. He played 2007-08 with Pinar Karsiyaka, leading the Turkish Basketball League with a 26.5 average before his contract was bought by FC Barcelona in the Spanish League.

For the past two years he has played for Benetton Treviso of the Italian League, earning All-Italy and All-Euroleague honors. He averaged 19.4 in 2009-10 to lead the Italian League in scoring. He finished out the season playing in 10 games for Spain's Unicaja Malaga in the ACB League where he averaged 12.6 points

Neal scored 1,254 points in less than two full seasons at Towson. He was among the top five scorers in the nation each year. He transferred to Towson from La Salle where he scored 1,041 points. He was named Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year in 2003.

In his senior year he led the Colonial Athletic Association in scoring with a 25.6 average and was a first team All-CAA selection. He holds the league record for career scoring average.

Neal scored 810 points in 2006-07 to break Kurk Lee's single season scoring record of 805 points. He became one of only three players in college basketball history to score 1,000 points at two different Division I schools. He was the 427th player in NCAA history to score over 2,000 total career points, ending his collegiate career with 2,295 points.

http://www.towsontigers.com//ViewArt...CLID=204970368

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JMcDonald_SAEN
    Staffer most enamored by Gary Neal's SA workouts: Shooting coach Chip Engellend. "Chip was really impressed," RC Buford said. #spurs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In fairness the coaches, including Pop, and the players have stated before each season that they are going to try and get back to that. The just have not had the second big and perimeter defender to really pull that off.

Its really a question of what they want to do versus what they actually can do.
    If they want to get back to defense, why sign RJ and Bonner to 4 year contracts? Does one expect to get different results if one keeps doing the same thing over and over again?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You forget TD does not dominate the paint anymore, 4 shooters does little against good teams, you need at least one slasher and another big that can move with 2 shooters then you have something.
    He still forces double teams.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well there's no better expert at shooting than chio engeland. now if he indeed is imoressed, then this definitely was a good signup.

neal has a very quick release and has a style that appears difficult to block.

let hope he doesn't choke come playoffs like rmj.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He still forces double teams.
    Actually he doesn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless you're the Timberwolves. This is akin to the myth that Bonner is respected by good teams and they all run to him in the corner, thus spacing the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He did until we ran him ragged by midseason then he started resorting to that floating jumper across the lane bull . Certain teams have always been able to single cover him. Horry and Wallace used to do it all the time. He still drew plenty of double teams last year.

Der Willis der Spurs wird siegen! FlAVaK's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well there's np better exoert at shppting than chio engeland. now if he indeed is imoressed, then this definitely was a gppd signuo.

neal has a very quick release and has a style that aooears difficult to blpck.

let hpoe he dpesn't chpke cpme olaypffs like rmj.
    FIFY. "But change must always be balanced with some degree of consistency."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And furthermore, Duncan was the reason that Dampier did not play at all in the Dallas series after the first couple of games. Duncan was owning his face and they had to bring the double team as soon as Duncan got the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And furthermore, Duncan was the reason that Dampier did not play at all in the Dallas series after the first couple of games. Duncan was owning his face and they had to bring the double team as soon as Duncan got the ball.
    I'm pretty sure the fact Damp scored 5 points the entire series, those coming in the first game has a lot more to do with Haywood getting the bulk of the minutes more than anything. Damp actually did a better job on TD than Haywood defensively, but he was completely useless on offense.
    And if you actually go take a look at the games, the Mavs actually tried for the most part to use single coverage with both Dampier and Haywood. They only mostly crowded when Tim put the ball on the floor.
    TD started on a rampage that series, but he faded after the first 3 games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs Sign Gary Neal
    Courtesy: Athletic Media Relations
    Release: 07/22/2010
    TOWSON, Md. - Gary Neal, who broke 14 Towson records during his two-year career with the Tigers, has signed a three-year contract with San Antonio following an eye-opening NBA Summer League performance last week when he led the Spurs to a 5-0 record in the Las Vegas session.

Neal becomes the second Tiger to play in the NBA. Kurk Lee, who led the Tigers to their first NCAA Tournament appearance 20 years ago, played one season with the New Jersey Nets before enjoying a successful career overseas.

"I can't express how happy I am and how proud all of us are here at Towson for Gary," said Tigers head coach Pat Kennedy. "I have had several players play in the NBA and I can say undoubtedly that Gary is one of the hardest workers and most determined young men I have ever worked with. I believe he will have a long career in the league."

"In one of the most brilliant Las Vegas shooting displays this side of the famed Gun Store," wrote Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News, "Neal made six 3-pointers and scored 25 points - including 13 in the game's first 2:45 - to pace the Spurs to a 78-64 victory in their league finale."

Neal finished the championship game with 25 points. He led the Spurs in scoring for the five games with a 16.0 average. He made 17 of 30 from beyond the NBA arc.

Four days later the former Tiger penned the contract.

Unlike Lee, Neal played overseas before joining the NBA ranks. He made the most of his overseas experience. In three seasons he led two leagues in scoring.

Neal went undrafted after his collegiate career ended in 2006-07. He played 2007-08 with Pinar Karsiyaka, leading the Turkish Basketball League with a 26.5 average before his contract was bought by FC Barcelona in the Spanish League.

For the past two years he has played for Benetton Treviso of the Italian League, earning All-Italy and All-Euroleague honors. He averaged 19.4 in 2009-10 to lead the Italian League in scoring. He finished out the season playing in 10 games for Spain's Unicaja Malaga in the ACB League where he averaged 12.6 points

Neal scored 1,254 points in less than two full seasons at Towson. He was among the top five scorers in the nation each year. He transferred to Towson from La Salle where he scored 1,041 points. He was named Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year in 2003.

In his senior year he led the Colonial Athletic Association in scoring with a 25.6 average and was a first team All-CAA selection. He holds the league record for career scoring average.

Neal scored 810 points in 2006-07 to break Kurk Lee's single season scoring record of 805 points. He became one of only three players in college basketball history to score 1,000 points at two different Division I schools. He was the 427th player in NCAA history to score over 2,000 total career points, ending his collegiate career with 2,295 points.

See! There is a Summer League Championship....and WE won it!

Hang that in the rafters!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Book of wisdom? What is wrong with you, fruitcake?

Temple and Hill aren't indentical and I think you would have a hard time getting any reasonable individual to agree with you on that one. Temple obviously is more experienced running the point than Hill. I'm not saying he is more talented or that he is a better player, just more experienced at the position. What makes you think that Neal is going to get PT over either one of those guys?
    Temple has played one season and appeared in 27 games for a total of 334 minutes. Hill has played two seasons and appeared in 155 games for 3546 minutes. He has played several positions but primarily has worked at PG.

I don't think your statement that Temple is more experienced holds water.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See! There is a Summer League Championship....and WE won it!

Hang that in the rafters!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was the 427th player in NCAA history to score over 2,000 total career points, ending his collegiate career with 2,295 points.

That might NOT be a milestone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Temple has played one season and appeared in 27 games for a total of 334 minutes. Hill has played two seasons and appeared in 155 games for 3546 minutes. He has played several positions but primarily has worked at PG.

According to Ohmy Hill's defenitely not a point guard. Never mind he did all the things point guards normally do, but he is NOT a point guard. Garret Temple IS a point guard, however. He was clear on that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, it looks like the Spurs are going to have to choose to move on with either Hairston or Gee. Anderson isn't going anywhere, Neal ain't going anywhere with that contract, and Temple is way too good at defense and playing different positions to be released. No way we let him go.

The way I see it, either Hairston or Gee is at the end of the road. I would say its Hairston, and not only because his contract is up, but because out of all the players I just mentioned in this post, he is the only one that really can't shoot for .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, it looks like the Spurs are going to have to choose to move on with either Hairston or Gee. Anderson isn't going anywhere, and Neal ain't going anywhere with that contract. Temple is way too good at defense and playing different positions to be dropped.

The way I see it, either Hairston or Gee is at the end of the road. I would say its Hairston, and not only because his contract is up, but because out of all the players I just mentioned in this post, he is the only one that really can't shoot for .
    Neal can go to Austin. BTW, Hairston's a better shooter than Gee and Neal unless you refuse to look at stats. You obviously do, since Gee shot 31 percent from three point range last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neal can go to Austin. BTW, Hairston's a better shooter than Gee and Neal unless you refuse to look at stats. You obviously do, since Gee shot 31 percent from three point range last season.
    C'mon OV you know Malik was only 2-11 from long range last year in sporadic garbage time.., sorry but that's defenitive proof Hairston can't shoot.

Also didn't exude any willingness to lazily chuck 3's at 1st opportunity, instead actually had the nerve to dribble the ball toward the hoop (some call this "driving the ball"). Putz was actually trying to get higher % shots. Can you imagine?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Are you taking pre NBA experience into consideration?

"Passing is an area that he certainly excels in, producing a nice assist to turnover ratio and assist numbers fairly uncommon for someone standing 6'6."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you taking pre NBA experience into consideration?

"Passing is an area that he certainly excels in, producing a nice assist to turnover ratio and assist numbers fairly uncommon for someone standing 6'6."
    Agreed. Hill was not a point guard, and for the most part, still isn't a point guard. Pop loves him so much that they're in the process of making him a point guard, but Temple will get some extra looks due to his actually having experience as a point guard prior to coming to the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. Hill was not a point guard, and for the most part, still isn't a point guard. Pop loves him so much that they're in the process of making him a point guard, but Temple will get some extra looks due to his actually having experience as a point guard prior to coming to the Spurs.
    Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thread...I was at Summer League and got to watch Neal up close. It was obvious to everyone he could shoot. It was also obvious that he would have an uphill battle on the defensive end.

As a few have mentioned, he isn't terribly athletic, but when I was watching him it never effected his ability to get his own shot off. That was also with him being the creator as well.

He is playing lights out and as long as the shots keep falling he will have minutes.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neal can go to Austin.
    I suppose that's still technically possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suppose that's still technically possible.
    Chump: Context. Context: Chump. I don't think the two of you have met.

Thread Information