Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They had to hand a guaranteed deal if they wanted to keep Neil though. He simply could have made more money in Europe than staying in the Toros.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Temple's ability to guard three positions and run the point gets him on this team.

His regular season performance trumps summer league.
    Yeah, I was thinking Neal was a point as well but stand corrected. As long as he stays healthy, I think Temple will get a shot as a backup PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another NBA team would have snagged Neal for sure. The Spurs obviously like his shooting and potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This makes me think Hill will see playing time both at the two and backing up RJ at SF. When he goes to the wing, Manu will be the PG and you'll have one of Anderson or Neil playing SG. This is while Tony rests.

It just doesn't look good for Temple, Hairston or Gee, IMO.

I think Jerrels is history.
    Jerrells I never even saw in the equation.

But I don't know what the to think about Hairston and Gee at this point.

All I know is I've got a bag that easily travels (as long as it's hidden from plain sight ).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does this mean bad news for Anderson since he hasnt signed yet?

Hopefully Neal doesnt turn out like a Tolliver signing.
    Speaking of which, if the Spurs needed another shooter why didn't they just go out and resign Tolliver? He's taller and a better passer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gary "All Aboard" Neal? Come on ride the train, and ride it. Come on it's the choo choo, come on it's the choo choo train.

Spurs are doing some odd things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Snip snip for Hairston and Jerrells, I'm guessing.
    Naw I disagree. I agree Jerrells is out though. I don't think Pop would disown Hairston though without getting a better look at him. He was just saying how Hairston's play through the last years SL earned him that signing. What I think will happen is Hairston and Gee will play for that last spot in training camp, and if Hairston wins out he will get more of a chance to play and I think Gee will get stashed in the D-league for another year. If Gee outplays him then I think they will cut their loses with Hairston and see what Gee can bring.

That's my feeling anyways/

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm surprised. Didn't see this coming. Wow, I wonder if a trade is in the works. I think Neal is the replacement for last year's draft pick (what's his name?)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I was thinking Neal was a point as well but stand corrected. As long as he stays healthy, I think Temple will get a shot as a backup PG.
    Temple should be fine - especially since he's Pop's "new" favorite player this year. Personally, I'm worried about Gee and Hairston.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever it is, the youth movement is coming strong... Gone are the days of looking at the bench and seeing Jacque Vaughn and Damon Stoudamire... (well, at least in the case of Jacque, in an uniform)...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm surprised. Didn't see this coming. Wow, I wonder if a trade is in the works. I think Neal is the replacement for last year's draft pick (what's his name?)
    Jack McClinton?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neal is not exactly a youngster. Dude is seasoned. I am on the fence w him. He seems to have an NBA shot. He is not very athletic, but he still gets his shot off.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jack McClinton?
    yeah, thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, that's a lot of cheese for 5 games...but it was said that he had to have a bunch of guaranteed money on the table to leave Europe. There it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Naw I disagree. I agree Jerrells is out though. I don't think Pop would disown Hairston though without getting a better look at him. He was just saying how Hairston's play through the last years SL earned him that signing. What I think will happen is Hairston and Gee will play for that last spot in training camp, and if Hairston wins out he will get more of a chance to play and I think Gee will get stashed in the D-league for another year. If Gee outplays him then I think they will cut their loses with Hairston and see what Gee can bring.

That's my feeling anyways/
    Sounds like a good assumption. Judging from the way the Spurs "pounced" immediately on Gee, after Washington let him go, I doubt the Spurs let him get away a second time. Especially now that after his stellar performance im Summer League. Besides that, Pop's comments at the SL, seem to indicate that they WANT Gee in the program.

As for Hairston, he's must be ever-improving and he's certainly earned a place because of his continued progression.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyways, this is probably a worthy risk by the Spurs. Neal was one of the best players in Europe and very likely could have made a lot more than the Spurs gave him. He doesn't seem to fit right now on paper but for a small contract, Neal is a good deal.

Out of Anderson and Neal, the Spurs should have one rookie shooting guard that can help next season. Neal also has two seasons of Toros eligibility, so even if he struggles at first the Spurs have options to help him grow.

Surprising signing but a quality one. We'll see if his lack of size and lack of athleticism is too much to overcome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the ? I thought this guy was just a summer league stand-out but a 3 year contract? Probably not guaranteed but damn

The FO must know something we don't. Either that or Pop was drunk.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs trying to get an Eddie House a la 2008 Celtics in 2010 just as they tried to implement some defensive schemes from the 2008 Celtics instead of sticking with what they do best is beyond me especially when they were the defending Champs at that time yet they still trying to copy something from that formula, I always shake my heaad at that. They should just get younger and fins a real Sf one of these years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is anyone worried about Anderson?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Little Engine That Could can have a few meanings when describing this guy now

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. I'm guessing only the first season is guaranteed.

Pretty damn shocking since the Spurs have a lot of depth at shooting guard. Where does Neal fit with Ginobili, Hill and Anderson getting time at shooting guard? Plus, Temple, Gee and Hairston could potentially also play the two.

I liked Neal in summer league but an unathletic 6-foot-4 shooting guard has an uphill climb to make the NBA.

Congrats, Choo Choo.
    The way it reads is as if all three years are guaranteed. I find that hard to believe though.

You've summed it up perfectly. What a perplexing signing.

I'm not going to pretend to know a ton about Neal other than he's a good shooter, but checking his three-point shooting stats from last season on draft express, his percentages aren't great.

I suspect, like Anderson, he was burdened with a lot of ball handling/play making responsibilities as his team's got-to player and with defenses keyed to stop him, he didn't get a lot of open, spot-up looks, like he'll get with the Spurs.

Based on his limitations and the glut the Spurs have at shooting guard, he needs to be verging on being a great shooter for this to make sense. He doesn't have to be Morrow, but just being fairly good isn't good enough to justify this.

Snip snip for Hairston and Jerrells, I'm guessing.
    Actually, I think this increases Hairston's chances, if not makes him a lock. There's a realistic - good chance that the Spurs are done this off season, which means no backup SF/established defender will be brought in. The player on the roster with the best chance of filling that role is Hairston.

With the glut of shooting guards on the roster, I suspect the Spurs view him as strictly a small forward. Given his build and lack of ball skills, this makes sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More worried for Hairston/Gee than I am Anderson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe James Anderson playing as a SF in the Spurs ?

Really didn't expect Neal to be signed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of strange him not being signed yet, but it still a tad early to start to wander to much into it I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trying to sign another pure shooter. It's obvious the FO thinks they are in dire need of some solid 3 point shooting to spread the floor. Extra insurance in case some others don't deliver.

Thread Information