Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes the irony doesn't escape you. I just thought it was funny that a 4th string sg is getting so much attention. This thread absolutely exploded in 30 minutes. Mark it down: this is going to be the longest thred Neal ever gets, EVER, in this forum.
    I'm just in here because my spirit is broken from all the RJ threads.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well ginobili will sit some games out just like tim and dice so temple will get playing time

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The kid can shoot but man getting minutes at PG and SG is going to be a .

SG: Manu, Anderson, Hill, Neal "Jerrells will be released"

PG: Tony, Hill, Temple

Now at SF the question is Hairston and Gee which probably won't be answered until training camp is over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have two serious questions? who is going on the inactive list? and who will be on the active list? as the roster is constructed now we only have two active spots but all togather we have five open spots. but gee, hairston and temple are going to be pretty disappointed if there going to be on the inactive list. we know that out five big man will be there. hill, parker, manu, RJ, james anderson. those are the given that will be on there and only twelve players can be active so that leaves gee, hairston, temple, neal, having to fight for two active spots on the roster, but everyone can be on the roster, that not the problem, but pop said that temple is his new favorite player, so he has to play, they gave neal a guaranteed contract so he has to play, what about alonzo gee and malik hairston, this is confusing.
    I think training camp is going to have a lot to do with it. Gee is still eligible for the Toros I believe while Hairston isn't so Gee could see some time down there and with the spurs in a suit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jerrells is gone for sure. I don't think Temple is a lock to stay either even with pops recent comments but who knows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't talking about guys getting cut, I was talking about guys who's roles just became obsolete.

Temple is now officially obsolete. The spurs might still have him sitting behind the bench in a suit as insurance but I don't really see how he fits with the current rotation now unless one of Parker, Hill, or Ginobili misses games.
    The only hole in your theory is that Hill and Ginobili aren't really point guards.

Ridding the world of Alien Scum...Relentlessly. Man In Black's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't just play for Benetton Treviso. The dates listed in the link below show that he also played for Unicaja Spain.
    http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp...PlayerID=99289

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the record, a first round draft pick does not automatically get a contract with the team that drafted them. If they do get signed, they are guaranteed the rookie scale - more or less. The contract can be for as little as 80% of the rookie scale, or as much as 120%.

If the team decides they don't want the drafted player, they can renounce his rights, and he becomes a free agent. (The Bulls renounced Travis Knight after they drafted him.)

Theoretically, if the team and the player can't agree on a deal, the team retains his rights until the next draft. Then the player can enter the next year's draft. (If he decides to play overseas, the meter stops running.)

If the Spurs don't want to sign him, they could renounce him and he would be free to sign with anyone. I suppose they could also offer him 80% of rookie scale. He could refuse to sign for that, and wind up entering next year's draft, so long as he sat out the entire season.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now at SF the question is Hairston and Gee which probably won't be answered until training camp is over.
    The answer to that question might just be "neither". If the Spurs inked Neal with the intention of him actually being a part of things then it looks like they're thinking Anderson can play some SF.

RJ got big bucks. Anderson is going to be guaranteed some bucks. Neal got some guaranteed bucks. Gee is guaranteed some small bucks. Hairston is guaranteed no bucks. Not looking good for Malik right now.

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Dude has one stud game in Summer League and earns himself a three-year gig. Not a bad days work.

Something else to keep an eye on, I suppose. Temple certainly isn't resting as easy tonight.
    Temple's fine. He's got something the other 6'5" - 6'6" players don't: PG skills. He's also Pop's new "favorite player". Temple will have to play his way OFF the team. Hairston should be ting. He has no more Toros options. If the Spurs don't think he's a rotation player getting floor time, he's not worth keeping. He can't be sent down to keep his skills sharp and learn more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    aight look hariston and temple will make this team they have to much spurs in em to not make it and plus they are apart of the future gee and jerrels are gone

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only hole in your theory is that Hill and Ginobili aren't really point guards.
    Hill is a point guard now and for the rest of his career. Get over it. He is definitely not a NBA sg and he is a decent pg. So if he is better a pg than sg what position does he play coach?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool i like the signing, but really now, that's all that needs to be said.

lol 5 pages on Gary Neal

lol 260 users viewing this thread

When I first saw le...I thought we signed Shaquille O'Neal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    aight look hariston and temple will make this team they have to much spurs in em to not make it and plus they are apart of the future gee and jerrels are gone
    Hariston? He's the worst player to ever play basketball. A scrub

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't consider Anderson a true SG? I agree with the rest: Hill and Temple are combo guards and Hairston and Gee are wings, but Anderson I see as a true SG (even though he'll more than likely split time between the two positions on this team, more out of necessity than anything).
    I do, but he's still a true rookie with no experience beyond college. Neal has several years of overseas experience playing lots of minutes in a big role...which makes him more NBA ready at this point. He's decent, cheap insurance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hill is a point guard now and for the rest of his career. Get over it. He is definitely not a NBA sg and he is a decent pg. So if he is better a pg than sg what position does he play coach?
    He is a combo guard and his skills don't really favor one over the other. I think he is a natural SG who is learning the PG position on the fly and doing a pretty good job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good for neal....hopefully he can maintain his consistency

Motivation for me... Stringer_Bell's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Impressive game, looks like a hard worker and he knows how to deal with adversity (La Salle scandal and going undrafted). I'm going out on a limb here, but I wouldn't be surprised that he's effective in the minutes he's used and could grow into a helpful offensive threat and play some defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so thismeans mason is not coming back

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Pretty surprising. Who's gonna play behind RJ now. Are they planning on sliding Manu or Anderson over to the 3? That might pose a size problem once again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They do most of the ballhandling which in fact does mean they are performing point guard duties. I'm not sure what your point is, other than getting into a semantic debate. Temple might have had a tenuous hold on a roster spot before the Neal signing as a kind of jack of all trades combo guard who might see some action at the 2, but it appears the spurs are going to give Neal those minutes.

Rugged like Rwanda SpursNextRomanEmpire's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It might go something like this:

Aw naw but yeah the spurs! they ain't gon win now cuz they jus throwed the championship away and got rid of they best player that i'm gonna go punch a speeding UPS truck upside it's grill ! i'm out y'all!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hariston? He's the worst player to ever play basketball. A scrub
    Hoose the bestest players in yore opineons?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, that came out of nowhere...as someone once said, "This s#it just got real" (on behalf of Hairston/Temple/Gee)...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They do most of the ballhandling which in fact does mean they are performing point guard duties. I'm not sure what your point is, other than getting into a semantic debate. Temple might have had a tenuous hold on a roster spot before the Neal signing as a kind of jack of all trades combo guard who might see some action at the 2, but it appears the spurs are going to give Neal those minutes.
    Garrett Temple is a point guard. It's not a semantic argument. We have no idea what kind of minutes Neal is going to get. The Spurs may have signed him to keep him off the market and as insurance. I would be willing to bet that Temple has a spot on the roster opening night.

Thread Information