Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abroad

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...os-wh-2222012/

(Note: White House press secretary Jay Carney began today’s briefing by praising journalists who have died covering the unrest in Syria: Marie Colvin and Rémi Ochlik as well as Anthony Shadid.)

TAPPER: The White House keeps praising these journalists who are — who’ve been killed –

CARNEY: I don’t know about “keep” — I think -

TAPPER: You’ve done it, Vice President Biden did it in a statement. How does that square with the fact that this administration has been so aggressively trying to stop aggressive journalism in the United States by using the Espionage Act to take whistleblowers to court?

You’re — currently I think that you’ve invoked it the sixth time, and before the Obama administration, it had only been used three times in history. You’re — this is the sixth time you’re suing a CIA officer for allegedly providing information in 2009 about CIA torture. Certainly that’s something that’s in the public interest of the United States. The administration is taking this person to court. There just seems to be disconnect here. You want aggressive journalism abroad; you just don’t want it in the United States.

CARNEY: Well, I would hesitate to speak to any particular case, for obvious reasons, and I would refer you to the Department of Justice for more on that.

I think we absolutely honor and praise the bravery of reporters who are placing themselves in extremely dangerous situations in order to bring a story of oppression and brutality to the world. I think that is commendable, and it’s certainly worth noting by us. And as somebody who knew both Anthony and Marie, I particularly appreciate what they did to bring that story to the American people.

I — as for other cases, again, without addressing any specific case, I think that there are issues here that involve highly sensitive classified information, and I think that, you know, those are — divulging or to — divulging that kind of information is a serious issue, and it always has been.

TAPPER: So the truth should come out abroad; it shouldn’t come out here?

CARNEY: Well, that’s not at all what I’m saying, Jake, and you know it’s not. Again, I can’t — specific –

TAPPER: That’s what the Justice Department’s doing.

CARNEY: Well, you’re making a judgment about a broad array of cases, and I can’t address those specifically.

TAPPER: It’s also the judgment that a lot of whistleblowers’ organizations and good government groups are making as well.

CARNEY: Not one that I’m going to make.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which journalist are they suing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Kiriakou, most recently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    also, Bradley Manning

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here are the six

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Kiriakou, most recently.
    Not for his journalism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    true, but Tepper never said so. referred to whistleblowers, I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    true, but Tepper never said so. referred to whistleblowers, I think.
    Kind of apples and oranges. While the Espionage Act might be too blunt of an instrument to be using, the state does have an interest in keeping classified material classified.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we were s ing journalists and inducing asthma attacks in them, I'd jump on the bandwagon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the equities cut both ways. the public has an interest in knowing about official fraud, waste and wrongdoing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the equities cut both ways. the public has an interest in knowing about official fraud, waste and wrongdoing.
    Sure, but the devil can be in the details. For example, did they need to know the names of operatives involved in the waterboarding in addition to the fact it was happening?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact it was happening, yes. (As with any clear crime committed under color of official duties.) The names of operatives, certainly not.

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so is darrins pro-msm? or still anti-msm? it's hard to keep up with all of the flip flopping

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so is darrins pro-msm? or still anti-msm? it's hard to keep up with all of the flip flopping
    The MSM carries the water for their messiah. Jake Tapper does not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so then you disagree with the Obama's prosecution of whistleblowers, like Jake Tepper?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The MSM carries the water for their messiah. Jake Tapper does not.
    Jake Tapper is a member of the mainstream media.

What the is wrong with you idiots?

Veteran
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    Jake Tapper is a member of the mainstream media.

What the is wrong with you idiots?
    Chump....it's only mainstream if the individual referring to mainstream actually reads or watches it.......otherwise, it's just media......

duh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chump....it's only mainstream if the individual referring to mainstream actually reads or watches it.......otherwise, it's just media......

duh.

Jake Tapper prints leaflets on a mimeograph machine in his basement and tacks them to bulletin boards in the quad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of apples and oranges. While the Espionage Act might be too blunt of an instrument to be using, the state does have an interest in keeping classified material classified.
    Yeah, but you can't stretch what this admininstration is doing that far. One of the guys was a whistleblower. The NSA gave a contract to a company to create software (for online monitoring) for $1.2 BILLION. The project could have been completed in-house for $3-5 Million. A whistle-blower told a reporter, and the reporter reported it. Obama's people charged him with espionage. For the record, they eventually found that the whistleblower was right. All they could stick him with was a nuisance charge of improper use of a government computer. But they sent a message to other whistelblowers, didn't they?

When you consider what is tolerated in this country, and the fact that the Espionage Act has only been used 3 times ever to go after reporters, the fact that Obama has used it 6 times seems more than a little suspect. Especially since it appears that they are using it to discourage whistleblowers. Not exactly what he said before he got elected.

One more thing - they have recently caught people smuggling out of secure facilities, and done nothing to them. Two of them were strongly associated with countries that are not especially friendly toward the U.S. these days. (i.e. outright spies) No charges of espionage for them. Like it or not, it all says a lot about the priorities of the administration, as well as their willlingness to punish dissent. I don't care what political party you favor, that's not good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had hopes, but I don't think so now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As disappointing as Obama is, he can't come anywhere to being as disastrous as dubya with dubya's misgovernment (cocaine parties at MMS, Medicare donut hole/Advantage, estate tax cuts) , two bogus/botched wars.

Barry's disappointments are proof that America, even when voting for someone who was supposed to be the anti-dubya/anti-Repug, is really and truly ed and un able.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    "Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward by your Father who is in heaven"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your new schtick is odd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Beware of eating your spaghettis with Alfredo sauce, for then you will get no reward from your pasta father who's in heaven"

Thread Information