My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gfy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Legacy Of BP Oil Spill: Eyeless Shrimp And Fish With Lesions

Shrimp with no eyes, fish with lesions, and clawless crabs.

Scientists believe that shrimp, fish, and crabs in the gulf have been deformed by the chemical released to disperse oil during the spill. Fishers in the area say that they’ve been noticing deformities on their catches since. Al Jazeera reports:

“At the height of the last white shrimp season, in September, one of our friends caught 400 pounds of these,” [Louisiana commercial fisher Tracy] Kuhns told Al Jazeera while showing a sample of the eyeless shrimp.

According to Kuhns, at least 50 per cent of the shrimp caught in that period in Barataria Bay, a popular shrimping area that was heavily impacted by BP’s oil and dispersants, were eyeless. Kuhns added: “Disturbingly, not only do the shrimp lack eyes, they even lack eye sockets.”

“Some shrimpers are catching these out in the open Gulf [of Mexico],” she added, “They are also catching them in Alabama and Mississippi. We are also finding eyeless crabs, crabs with their s s soft instead of hard, full grown crabs that are one-fifth their normal size, clawless crabs, and crabs with s s that don’t have their usual es … they look like they’ve been burned off by chemicals.” [...]

The dispersants are known to be mutagenic, a disturbing fact that could be evidenced in the seafood deformities. Shrimp, for example, have a life-cycle short enough that two to three generations have existed since BP’s disaster began, giving the chemicals time to enter the genome.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...-with-lesions/

In other UCA poison-for-profit and -the-planet news, Monsanto wants to use an Agent Orange poison on US crop land, now that round-up for Monsanto's GM crops has spawned a generation of round-up resistant super weeds.

thinkprogress quoting Al Jazeera?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Al Jeezera? More credible that Fox Repug Propaganda network.

why not copy here Fox's in-depth reporting on how bad BP ed up the Gulf (and got away with it)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you watched it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    are you secretly in love with Fox News, boutons? You can't stop talking about it and you do get do so emotional sometimes...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    did Fox do a great bit on this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do the eyeless shrimp fill up the superdome yet? If not then get back at me when they do. Also, consensus that oil spills are bad could be overturned tomorrow. I mean look at stomach ulcers.

Given the information that there aren't enough eyeless shrimp to fill the superdome and that ulcers are caused by bacteria (plus I know Al Gore is behind this somehow) I can only rule that things have in fact been overblown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are morally and intellectually superior. Congrats!
    Why, thank you.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    How many of these deformities were there before the spill?

Oh that's right... Probably no comparison available. nobody saw it as a story angle then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one of the scientists cited in the al jazeera article was studying it beforehand and had a pre-blowout statistical baseline, didn't you notice?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    one of the scientists cited in the al jazeera article was studying it beforehand and had a pre-blowout statistical baseline, didn't you notice?
    No.

I'm guilty this time of dismissing the source article. Like CC said:

thinkprogress quoting Al Jazeera?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gotcha. so you dismiss what all those fishermen willingly said for attribution?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol this time

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    gotcha. so you dismiss what all those fishermen willingly said for attribution?
    No, my instinct is this is more hype. Yes, I could be wrong, but I don't care to look for solid facts on this either.

Too many times in my life have I seen articles written by the "boy who cried wolf."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care to look for solid facts

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Typical Chump. Taking a statement for one event, and thinking he smart by manipulation of the context.
    Yes, I could be wrong, but I don't care to look for solid facts on this either.
    Chump...

Are you dumb, or just an antagonistic bully?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    instinct, huh?

no need to weigh the facts when your spidey-sense is tingling? how convenient for you...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It can pretty much be applied to any topic you happen to be discussing.

Enlightening tbh.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    instinct, huh?

no need to weigh the facts when your spidey-sense is tingling? how convenient for you...
    No, I only care to focus on a limited number of topics that require leaning more. I don't have the time... or should I say, I have better use for my time than looking up topics that don't interest me much.

I gave my impression, and admitted I could be wrong.

Isn't that enough?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    more than generous, I would say

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

BP's Corexit Oil Tar Sponged Up by Human Skin

The persistence of Corexit mixed with crude oil has now weathered to tar, yet is traceable to BP's Deepwater Horizon brew through its chemical fingerprint.

The program uses newly developed UV light equipment to detect tar product and reveal where it is buried in many beach areas and also where it still remains on the surface in the shoreline plunge step area. The tar product samples are then analyzed…to determine which toxins may be present and at what concentrations. By returning to locations several times over the past year and analyzing samples, we've been able to determine that PAH concentrations in most locations are not degrading as hoped for and expected.

Worse, the toxins in this unholy mix of Corexit and crude actually penetrate wet skin faster than dry skin (photos above)—the author describes it as the equivalent of a built-in accelerant—though you'd never know it unless you happened to look under fluorescent light in the 370nm spectrum. The stuff can't be wiped off. It's absorbed into the skin.

And it isn't going away. Other findings from monitoring sites between Waveland, Mississippi, and Cape San Blas, Florida over the past two years:

The use of Corexit is inhibiting the microbial degradation of hydrocarbons in the crude oil and has enabled concentrations of the organic pollutants known as PAH to stay above levels considered carcinogenic by the NIH and OSHA.
    26 of 32 sampling sites in Florida and Alabama had PAH concentrations exceeding safe limits.
    Only three locations were found free of PAH contamination.
    Carcinogenic PAH compounds from the toxic tar are concentrating in surface layers of the beach and from there leaching into lower layers of beach sediment. This could potentially lead to contamination of groundwater sources.

http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2...xit-dispersant

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care to look for solid facts
    (poke poke)

(edit)

Whoops, looks like someone beat me to it. To be clear: I know this is out of context, but it just looks funny, so I couldn't resist a minor poke in the ribs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No.

I'm guilty this time of dismissing the source article. Like CC said:
    Ad hominem logical fallacy.

Thinkprogress quotes al Jazeera, who quotes actual people interviewed:

"The fishermen have never seen anything like this," Dr Jim Cowan told Al Jazeera. "And in my 20 years working on red snapper, looking at somewhere between 20 and 30,000 fish, I've never seen anything like this either.
    Tracy Kuhns and her husband Mike Roberts, commercial fishers from Barataria, Louisiana, are finding eyeless shrimp.

"At the height of the last white shrimp season, in September, one of our friends caught 400 pounds of these," Kuhns told Al Jazeera while showing a sample of the eyeless shrimp.

According to Kuhns, at least 50 per cent of the shrimp caught in that period in Barataria Bay, a popular shrimping area that was heavily impacted by BP's oil and dispersants, were eyeless. Kuhns added: "Disturbingly, not only do the shrimp lack eyes, they even lack eye sockets."

Eyeless shrimp, from a catch of 400 pounds of eyeless shrimp, said to be caught September 22, 2011, in Barataria Bay, Louisiana [Erika Blumenfeld/Al Jazeera]

"Some shrimpers are catching these out in the open Gulf [of Mexico]," she added, "They are also catching them in Alabama and Mississippi. We are also finding eyeless crabs, crabs with their s s soft instead of hard, full grown crabs that are one-fifth their normal size, clawless crabs, and crabs with s s that don't have their usual es … they look like they've been burned off by chemicals."
    Before and after

But evidence of ongoing contamination continues to mount.

Crustacean biologist Darryl Felder, in the Department of Biology with the University of Louisiana at Lafayette is in a unique position.

Felder has been monitoring the vicinity of BP's blowout Macondo well both before and after the oil disaster began, because, as he told Al Jazeera, "the National Science Foundation was interested in these areas that are vulnerable due to all the drilling".

"So we have before and after samples to compare to," he added. "We have found seafood with lesions, missing appendages, and other abnormalities."

Felder also has samples of inshore crabs with lesions. "Right here in Grand Isle we see lesions that are eroding down through their s . We just got these samples last Thursday and are studying them now, because we have no idea what else to link this to as far as a natural event."

According to Felder, there is an even higher incidence of s disease with crabs in deeper waters.

"My fear is that these prior incidents of lesions might be traceable to microbes, and my questions are, did we alter microbial populations in the vicinity of the well by introducing this massive amount of petroleum and in so doing cause microbes to attack things other than oil?"

One hypothesis he has is that the waxy coatings around crab s s are being impaired by anthropogenic chemicals or microbes resulting from such chemicals.

"You create a site where a lesion can occur, and microbes attack. We see them with big black lesions, around where their appendages fall off, and all that is left is a big black ring."

Felder added that his team is continuing to do ent the incidents: "And from what we can tell, there is a far higher incidence we're finding after the spill."

"We are also seeing much lower diversity of crustaceans," he said. "We don't have the same number of species as we did before [the spill]."

, this is some pretty damn good journalism. They cite three different scientists, fishermen themselves, then provide the following at the end of the article.

Read more about the scientists in this article, and their findings:

Dr Darryl Felder, Department of Biology, University of Louisiana, Lafayette. Runs a research lab that studies the biology of marine crustaceans. Dr Felder has been monitoring the seafloor in the vicinity of BP's blow-out Macondo oil-well both before and after the oil disaster began. He was studying samples from the seafloor in the Macondo area pre-spill via funding from the National Science Foundation, which provided him a grant to log the effects of all the drilling in the area. His funding now comes from the Gulf Research Initiative (GRI), which is funded by BP. Read his full biography here.

Dr Jim Cowan with Louisiana State University's Department of Oceanography and Coastal Sciences has been studying Gulf seafood, specifically red snapper, for more than 20 years. Funding is through the State of Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. Read his full biography here.

Dr Andrew Whitehead, LSU, his lab conducts experiments and studies on Evolutionary and Ecological Genomics. He recently published "Genomic and physiological footprint of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill on resident marsh fishes" in the National Academy of Sciences. Much of his funding also comes from the Gulf Research Initiative. Read his full biography here.

Brief summary of scientists' findings/studies:

Felder: Studies carried out from January 2010 to present in BP's Macondo well area. Found abnormalities in shrimp post-spill, whereas pre-spill found none.

Cowan: Studies carried out from Nov 2010-present, from west Louisiana to west Florida, from coast to 250km out. Found lesions/sores/infections in 20 species of fish, as many as 50 per cent fish in some samples impacted. Pre spill levels were 1/10 of one per cent of fish.

Whitehead: Species such as the Gulf Killifish, in and around the Gulf of Mexico, will continue to be subject to negative effects of the BP oil spill disaster of 2010. The Killifish, which researchers consider a good indicator of water quality in the Gulf of Mexico, is showing signs that the oil spill is having a negative impact on its health. Tracked killifish for the first four months after spill across oil-impacted areas of Louisiana and Mississippi.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fea...318260912.html

You won't see this kind of thoroughness at Fox "news".

Thread Information