Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, asshole, I've heard of the EV1 from screwed-up, ossified GM, but it was never marketed to general public like the Volt.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hey, asshole, I didn't say, if you were honest rather than a boutons stalker, that Clarity was feasible, nor scaleable. It's Honda learning how pure hydrogen cars and drivers work out. The solar refueling stations are another very cool idea, esp if they are off the grid, or very low electric consumers (apart from the hydrogen production).

If it weren't for evil corporate lies and conspiracies, we should have been doing this stuff 25+ years ago.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I still cant figure out why some of you are upset about Chevy making an electric car again…The whole idea is to put an end to fossil fuel dependence…The only problem I see is the anemic tax credit…Obama should make the credit 15k instead of 7.5k…People from Los Angeles who will be buying these cars are en led to this…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll admit, I know little on recycling these batteries. Still, my concern is that I don't believe these to be the future. Battery cars at some point, YES. Just not at our technological level. No reason that we cannot achieve such goals. I just know we aren't there yet.
    It's ok to have an alternative from gas. Technologically it allows us to remain compe ive with the rest of the world. Looking down the road, it also removes the dependency from foreign oil.
    When gas was $4+ some people were ing how far back we were technologically and how dated was our infrastructure to support an alternative to gas. Well, now we're investing in that R&D and investing in deploying that infrastructure.

How much do these these batteries cost, and with how much of a life? these batteries lose storage capacity over time of usage. 40 mile range today, maybe 37 after a year, then 35, etc... they also increase in resistance (source impedance.) Acceleration will also notable decrease with time.
    Depends on the battery type, temperature in the region, etc. NMh are cheaper than Li-Ion, take longer to lose their storage capacity (no rare to see them last over 10+ years), but some suffer from memory loss effects and can't pack as much energy. Li-Ion on the other hand normally last about 3 years at near peak efficiency, don't have memory loss problems and can pack and deliver much more energy.

I believe the battery in most of these cars are NMh. Li-Ion will make sense if their longevity can be extended to at least 5 or so years, or they can be produced for cheaper.

I currently don't know about costs. What I do know is that things turn into a lot cheaper when you're making 10 million of them instead of 10,000 of them.

As far as range, it's only going to get better with newer battery generations.

If you don't like the price though, you can easily not buy one of these cars...

Again, how much does a replacement set of batteries cost? Do they need replaced every 5 years, or less if improperly maintained? How many people properly maintain things? properly maintaining them means allowing nearly full discharge before recharging. How many people will do that?
    Electronics? I mean this is something that has been done forever now, if you actually have a decent battery charger. The charger will fully discharge the battery before topping it off again. And this is only for NMh batteries. Li-Ion do not posses the memory loss effect, thus don't need to be drained before charged.

Count me out as for advocating our current level of technology for the public. Let the YUPPIE's and other rich people buy these as status symbols, but do not subsidize them.
    Why do so many people thing the free market isn't up to the task of the future, without subsidies? I love this country, but the belief others have that we cannot succeed without Uncle Sam's helping hand pisses me the off.
    Gas cars are subsidized too. I'm not sure what you're ing about here.
    I see this as an investment by the country in R&D and infrastructure for the future. So when the next oil crisis and speculation comes around, we're not caught with our pants down.

Again, if you don't think this thing will fly, stick with your subsidized gas car. There's no obligation to participate in this thing.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    yes, asshole, I've heard of the EV1 from screwed-up, ossified GM, but it was never marketed to general public like the Volt.
    It wasn't marketed for a reason. Laws requiring stockage of parts for so many years. They owned all and leased them, that way they could test market and avoid those pesky laws. this is also why they destroyed them later.

I'm worried for GM selling the Volt. They now have to support it for so many years, and may lose money in the end that way.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    hey, asshole, I didn't say, if you were honest rather than a boutons stalker, that Clarity was feasible, nor scaleable. It's Honda learning how pure hydrogen cars and drivers work out. The solar refueling stations are another very cool idea, esp if they are off the grid, or very low electric consumers (apart from the hydrogen production).

If it weren't for evil corporate lies and conspiracies, we should have been doing this stuff 25+ years ago.
    Bull .

Hydrogen poses too many problems and is expensive. If that now solar technology for direct conversion is real, we may have the breakthrough we need for hydrogen. most other problems have been solved.

If you could find an article on direct conversion, I would like to see it. Deionized water is not that expensive to make on site from tap water. It's pretty easy, fast, and cost effective. I would agree it probably required DI H2O.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I still cant figure out why some of you are upset about Chevy making an electric car again…The whole idea is to put an end to fossil fuel dependence…The only problem I see is the anemic tax credit…Obama should make the credit 15k instead of 7.5k…People from Los Angeles who will be buying these cars are en led to this…
    Oh go yourself.

No more subsidies, dammit. You liberal pussies need to learn to live without subsidies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh go yourself.

No more subsidies, dammit. You liberal pussies need to learn to live without subsidies.
    Jim Bob is trolling you. He drives a pickup.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "pussies need to learn to live without subsidies."

oil/gas/coal/tbtf-banks/bigpharma/mega-corps are all pussies, but you love them, their your pussies.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    "pussies need to learn to live without subsidies."

oil/gas/coal/tbtf-banks/bigpharma/mega-corps are all pussies, but you love them, their your pussies.
    Bull .

If there are government subsidies to business, get rid of them too.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Point of order…Yes I do drive a 2009 F-150…And it is a nice pick up truck…But a huge chunk of the cost was paid by Government Stimulus…
    1- Cash for clunkers…
    Savings = $3500.00
    2- Expansion of the Ford X Plan to non Ford employees…
    Savings = $3000.00
    3- Stimulus tax credit for all DMV fees & sales tax paid on a new car…
    Savings = $3300.00
    4- Ford dollars for taking delivery of an “on dealer lot extended cab”…
    Savings = $3500.00 (This was not a government program I just like to tell people what a great deal I got)…

I am just saying is that the good people of Los Angeles who will be purchasing this electric vehicle are “En led” to a larger tax rebate… I am in favor of dropping tax credit for the Foreign made vehicles & increasing the tax credit for the Chevy to 10k…It is a win win situation…..

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Point of order…Yes I do drive a 2009 F-150…And it is a nice pick up truck…But a huge chunk of the cost was paid by Government Stimulus…
    1- Cash for clunkers…
    Savings = $3500.00
    2- Expansion of the Ford X Plan to non Ford employees…
    Savings = $3000.00
    3- Stimulus tax credit for all DMV fees & sales tax paid on a new car…
    Savings = $3300.00
    4- Ford dollars for taking delivery of an “on dealer lot extended cab”…
    Savings = $3500.00 (This was not a government program I just like to tell people what a great deal I got)…

I am just saying is that the good people of Los Angeles who will be purchasing this electric vehicle are “En led” to a larger tax rebate… I am in favor of dropping tax credit for the Foreign made vehicles & increasing the tax credit for the Chevy to 10k…It is a win win situation…..
    Camper...

I have no problem with you taking advantage of the subsidies offered. If not you, someone else would have. I am pissed that they subsidized sales to begin with.

I'm not a big fan of the F150, but i just have other preferences. It is a great inexpensive truck though. just that if I bough a truck, i want a real workhorse. Even though Chevy has problems, I love both the Vortek and Duramax engines. I'm a Ford man at heart, but bought a Z28 over a Mustang. I don't care for the complexity of Ford's modular engines, and love the simplicity and power of the LS series.

Who knows. I may break down and help Obama motors out, and buy a new Camaro.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I got to admit, it is nice to have a pick up truck when you need one…Men’s Warehouse had a two for one sale…I bought a couple suits, slacks, sport coats, 6 dress shirts & then made a Costco run & bought beer, sodas, ribs, etc…That F-150 hauled that stuff like it was nothing…

Cameros Rock! They should have a stimulus program for Cameros...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got to admit, it is nice to have a pick up truck when you need one…Men’s Warehouse had a two for one sale…I bought a couple suits, slacks, sport coats, 6 dress shirts & then made a Costco run & bought beer, sodas, ribs, etc…That F-150 hauled that stuff like it was nothing…

Cameros Rock! They should have a stimulus program for Cameros...
    If you have a stable job and income, then the economy slowing is a good thing for you because it means lower prices on gas, food, and entertainment

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    a 50 year old guy in a new camaro=lol.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    What's wrong with that?

It's a sweet ride. I've had sports cars since I was teenager. Why should I stop just because I'm in my 50's?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how old are you really?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    how old are you really?
    In my 50's. I'll leave it at that.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Shut yer piehole. I want a in' Corvette.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Shut yer piehole. I want a in' Corvette.
    Well, maybe now that my kids all have their own car and drive, I could go for a Corvette. However, I like the Ford GT better.

If I were to buy an electric, it would be something like the Tesla.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In my 50's. I'll leave it at that.
    wow, I had no idea... didn't you have a pic up a while back of you in a bowling alley or something...?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    wow, I had no idea... didn't you have a pic up a while back of you in a bowling alley or something...?
    That's about 10 years old now.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Well, maybe now that my kids all have their own car and drive, I could go for a Corvette. However, I like the Ford GT better.

If I were to buy an electric, it would be something like the Tesla.
    Camaros, Chargers and Challengers all beat out a Vette or Ford GT for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow.

None of them are even in the same class as the Ford GT, but $140,000 is pretty steep.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    shup, Brock. Just cause you drive a Charger doesn't mean it can whoop a Vette.

Thread Information