San Antonio Spurs
    if you play it right, that is the only item that can actually overpay you

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    textbooks are awesome. make your parents buy them, sell them back and pocket the cash.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    education in general.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    The real textbook scam is the publishers putting out barely-different, new editions every ing six months so they can undercut you on selling older ones back, or refusing them entirely.
    The real scam is those ing bookstores pulling a gamestop and giving you for what you're selling back followed by an insane markup. One time i was selling a book back and they were going to give me $12. One of the employees said they could use those for second half of semester, they did something in the computer and i ended up getting $70. If that lady didn't say anything, i would have gotten $12.

Also I'll buy concessions in the movie theater, i just won't pay for the movie. Studios get like 90% of the box office take and concessions are so high cause the theater has to make up the money that way.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    textbooks are awesome. make your parents buy them, sell them back and pocket the cash.

or even better. don't buy them at all, either steal them from distracted classmates or flirt with the fat chick sittin next to you and borrow it

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Trinity Tigers
    8. iTunes downloads

Sure, you think they're a great deal b/c you don't have to buy a whole CD any more. But what is the 'real' cost of a download? It's basically pure profit for the copyright holder and Apple.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    8. iTunes downloads

Sure, you think they're a great deal b/c you don't have to buy a whole CD any more. But what is the 'real' cost of a download? It's basically pure profit for the copyright holder and Apple.
    I don't know man. $1 for a song that you want vs. typically $16 for 4 songs that you want

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    I download songs for free.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    the whole apple corporation is ing overpriced. everything. their products, their stock prices, their financials

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I don't know man. $1 for a song that you want vs. typically $16 for 4 songs that you want
    paying for a song EVER is too much

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

thats hardcore.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    The hate for professors and school bookstores isn't really warranted. Most of the professors I've encountered have gone out of their way to look for cheaper books, to get text information to students early enough to buy in advance, and/or provide PDFs of pertinent articles. And school bookstores are pretty much powerless in the textbook thing; they save the wallet raping for apparel and other useless crap with the school's logo/mascot.

The textbook bull is almost entirely publishers. And it's ridiculous. Publishers will often make it nearly impossible to work with an older edition of a text once a new one has been released.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Also I'll buy concessions in the movie theater, i just won't pay for the movie. Studios get like 90% of the box office take and concessions are so high cause the theater has to make up the money that way.
    How does that work? You sneak in?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    How does that work? You sneak in?
    Not gonna tell you what I do, just rest assured I rarely ever pay for movies.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    The hate for professors and school bookstores isn't really warranted. Most of the professors I've encountered have gone out of their way to look for cheaper books, to get text information to students early enough to buy in advance, and/or provide PDFs of pertinent articles. And school bookstores are pretty much powerless in the textbook thing; they save the wallet raping for apparel and other useless crap with the school's logo/mascot.

The textbook bull is almost entirely publishers. And it's ridiculous. Publishers will often make it nearly impossible to work with an older edition of a text once a new one has been released.
    Really? The publishers make them give us jack for our used books?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Not gonna tell you what I do, just rest assured I rarely ever pay for movies.
    I would say your date pays but.....

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    mediafire is your friend.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I would say your date pays but.....
    Well I could be a super cheapass and just redbox it but only tightwads......oh wait

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Really? The publishers make them give us jack for our used books?
    I didn't mean to imply that the bookstores were perfect. They could probably stand to give a better return on book buybacks. How much the publisher is going to get from the sale of that book next semester is likely a big consideration when determining how much they give, though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Well I could be a super cheapass and just redbox it but only tightwads......oh wait
    If you redbox or torrent it, that kinda invalidates your argument that you will buy concessions but will not pay for movies.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well, the textbook publishers better enjoy it while they can...rumor has it Amazon/Kindle is looking at getting into textbooks.

Kooler than Jesus Nathan Explosion's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I don't buy text books unless it's absolutely necessary. I have yet to fail a class in which I didn't buy the book. I've had professors tell us that they wrote the book but the used versions are readily available on Amazon. They thank those who got new books and tell others if they're strapped for cash then go searching online.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    There are plenty of redbox tightwads out there and yes, plenty of old virgins too. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Aggieland Spurs Fan LoneStarState'sPride's Avatar
    Name
    D-J-A-N-G-O.....the "D" is silent
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Go sick and tired of overpaying for textbooks--finally got smart a few years ago and just see what they have online/at the library. Saves me a ton.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well, the textbook publishers better enjoy it while they can...rumor has it Amazon/Kindle is looking at getting into textbooks.
    My sister-in-law downloads (either renting or buying) most of her textbooks to her Kindle from Barnes and Noble. I thought their selection would be limited to basic, undergrad curriculum textbooks, but last weekend I downloaded 2 epidemiology textbooks for my hubby's Ph.D. program.

Thread Information