NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Library usage statistics say otherwise.
    link?

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    uh no its not. the library is always packed, and during finals theres absolutely no seating available.
    This.

I went to the Tulane library yesterday for the first time and, even in the second week of classes, it was crowded.

Master of Information Dr. Gonzo's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    TAMU-CC Islanders
    These are in-house stats homes. I don't need to prove to you. I'm saying what I know because it's what I do.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    pdf for the win! it is ultimately far more portable, it is searchable in the span of nanoseconds, and environmentally friendly. Libraries are good, but are dying. I still know many college students who go to the library, but it is mostly those who are unaware of how to search for valid resources online. I have access to many peer-reviewed article, book, and journal indexes that are instantly searchable saving me time. As more books make their way online, the library will start to go the way of the floppy disk.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    not when most professors require first hand accounts like congressional records and treaties.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    not when most professors require first hand accounts like congressional records and treaties.
    Oh, like stuff that might be housed at the library of congress?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New York Knicks
    These are in-house stats homes. I don't need to prove to you. I'm saying what I know because it's what I do.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'd study in the library when I was cramming in college, but not because of the books, but just because it was quiet. I had a constant stream of visitors dropping into my house. If I tried to study at home I'd always get distracted with women/drugs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    loc confuses me imo. i just go to the library, pick a year, look at the index and find out what they talked about regarding that term for the year. its more simple for me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    loc confuses me imo. i just go to the library, pick a year, look at the index and find out what they talked about regarding that term for the year. its more simple for me.

For me it is all about time. I could imagine that initially it would take longer because you are learning a new system, not one you have been using since being a child. However, once mastered you can save the time to drive to the campus, search, etc. I am willing to put up with a small initial time investment in order to get a large and long lasting time return.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    i guess timing is different for me since the library is literally next door to where i live . if i lived farther away, i would probably do a lot less work there.

Master of Information Dr. Gonzo's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    TAMU-CC Islanders
    There are many academic libraries that are government repositories.

Name
    Jess
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    My dad worked for a college textbook company in sales when I was growing up, and even HE says that the costs are ridiculous. Granted, said company also laid him off to improve their profit margins about 5 years ago. Because they just can't charge as much as they need to keep minimal staff apparently

College textbooks are a huge racket. I'm working for a college library and we don't collect the textbooks that classes use (which often angers students), but that is so expensive and changes so often that we just don't have the budget for it.

Name
    Jess
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    Most official federal gov't docs are available through the GPO (Government Printing Office) usually for free and online, or via a public/academic repository. You really only need to go to the LOC to do research with original historical do ents and manuscripts.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I didn't buy half my textbooks last semester and I still got B's. , I rarely read my textbooks anyway.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    am I the only one who bought brand new books because of their smell, and the shinyness of the pages?

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    am I the only one who bought brand new books because of their smell, and the shinyness of the pages?
    That's the best part of new books!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    and them pretty pitchers!

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I always bought all of my books ... but then, I didn't have the freaking internet when I was in college. And I still have them all, which has been so awesome every time I've had to move.

Thank you, student loans!

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I find textbooks for as cheap as I can, but always buy them. And keep them. It's evil with art history texts, which tend to be both beautiful and expensive as .
    Same with a lot of my architecture books. I recently found two of my architecture history books it killed me to sell when I was in school at Half Price Books - and the beauty of it was they were the same editions I had originally used.

I never really faulted the bookstores for new book prices - that's on the publishers. What always pissed me off was the buyback rate and used prices; especially from the supposed "co-ops" and official university bookstores. I found out that ours was actually run by Barnes & Noble.

Name
    Jess
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    I never really faulted the bookstores for new book prices - that's on the publishers. What always pissed me off was the buyback rate and used prices; especially from the supposed "co-ops" and official university bookstores. I found out that ours was actually run by Barnes & Noble.
    The vast majority of them are run by B&N or Follett now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    pdf for the win! it is ultimately far more portable, it is searchable in the span of nanoseconds, and environmentally friendly. Libraries are good, but are dying. I still know many college students who go to the library, but it is mostly those who are unaware of how to search for valid resources online. I have access to many peer-reviewed article, book, and journal indexes that are instantly searchable saving me time. As more books make their way online, the library will start to go the way of the floppy disk.
    Who do you suppose it is who makes those resources available for you online-- the library does.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    At the grocery store, the standard 24 pack of bottled water of brands like Aquafina or Dasani is $5.

That's basically 20 cents a bottle.
    Out of the tap, that would cost you 0.01875 cents a bottle.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Out of the tap, that would cost you 0.01875 cents a bottle.
    Did you make that up?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Thread Information