My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bipartisan bill would ramp up anti-piracy enforcement online
    By Gautham Nagesh - 09/20/10 02:00 PM ET

A bipartisan bill unveiled Monday would make it easier for the Justice Department to shut down websites that traffic pirated music, movies and counterfeit goods.

Members of the Senate Judiciary Committee including chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) and Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) introduced the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act, which would create an expedited process for DoJ to shut down websites providing pirated materials.

“Each year, online piracy and the sale of counterfeit goods costs American businesses billions of dollars, and result in hundreds of thousands of lost jobs,” Leahy said in a statement. “Protecting intellectual property is not uniquely a Democratic or Republican priority — it is a bipartisan priority.”

The other sponsors are Sens. Herb Kohl (D-Wis.), Arlen Specter (D-Pa.), Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), Durbin (D-Ill.), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), Evan Bayh (D-Ind.) and George Voinovich (R-Ohio). The bill will be added to the agenda for the Committee's Thursday business meeting.

“This much-needed bill will help law enforcement keep pace in shutting down websites that illegally sell copyrighted goods," Kohl said. "By cracking down on online piracy of television shows and movies, we hope this bill will encourage copyright owners to develop innovative and compe ive new choices for consumers to watch video over the Internet."

Specifically the bill would authorize Justice to file an in rem civil action against domain names used to traffic infringing material. In order to obtain a preliminary court order against the owner of the domain or website, Justice would have to show the site's "substantial and repeated role in online piracy and counterfeiting."

The bill would require the government to publish notice of the action promptly after filing in court. There are also safeguards to allow the site or domain owner to pe ion the court to have the order lifted. A federal court would have final say over whether support services to a website will be cut off.

“The sale of counterfeit and pirated goods online is rampant across the world, hindering our economic growth, killing our jobs and putting our consumers at risk. These sites are illegal, and the Senators have taken an important step towards remedying this growing problem," said David Hirschmann, president of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's Global Intellectual Property Center, in a statement.

The Chamber estimates copyright piracy from movies, music, software and video games costs the U.S. economy $58 billion in total output every year. The Chamber's projected cost of that lost output is more than 370,000 domestic jobs, $16.3 billion in earnings, and $2.6 billion in tax revenue for state, local, and federal governments.

"Addressing this problem is a win-win — good for businesses that need to protect their IP online, good for the digital marketplace and good for consumers who will benefit from both,” Hirschmann added.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is so re ed... so they get to shutdown the DNS entry (which opens a huge can of worms, because while the majority of root servers are in the US, there's nothing precluding other countries to run their own, which they obviously will if forced to), but they really are not affecting the sites. All the site ops need to do is have a couple of backup dyndns-type of hostnames until they get a different domain name.

Who proposes this ? It's actually going to hurt more than help.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    This is so re ed... so they get to shutdown the DNS entry (which opens a huge can of worms, because while the majority of root servers are in the US, there's nothing precluding other countries to run their own, which they obviously will if forced to), but they really are not affecting the sites. All the site ops need to do is have a couple of backup dyndns-type of hostnames until they get a different domain name.

Who proposes this ? It's actually going to hurt more than help.
    Not to mention that users could just write down the IP and get there that way... as if most pirates didn't know that.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to mention that users could just write down the IP and get there that way... as if most pirates didn't know that.
    I'm guessing they're hoping you don't tell anybody

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing they're hoping you don't tell anybody
    Uh oh... cat's out of the bag...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, taking another read, this is really repugnant stuff.
    This would basically make the government foot the bill for suing people in civil court for infringing rights on a third party.

So now the plaintiff doesn't have to pony up the cash and can accuse at will, with further expense to the defendant, who now must prove innocence at their expense.

I guess when you spend so much buying up legislators, you expect to get a good return for your money... this is probably as good as it gets.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure Wild Cobra is on board with this.

Kooler than Jesus Nathan Explosion's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see how this will actually work though. I love the figure they put up as to how much money it's costing the US economy.

I watch movies online because I don't go to the theaters. Guess, what, if you shut the site down, I'm STILL not going to the theaters. So where exactly does the money get made up. I know that I'm one of millions who do that exact thing.

I guess the studios are mad because now I can watch a new release online, and if it's good, I'll buy it. If it's not good, then I won't buy it. The economy suffers because people aren't buying the crap.

I highly doubt that downloading movies/music is so prevalent it's a billions of dollars problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah "billions" is ridiculous. Also the part that says "hundreds of thousands of lost jobs..." wtf?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I love those MPAA commercials before the start of film.

"Hi, I'm Jacob, a Janitor at Paramount Pictures. Movie piracy puts me out of a job."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"Hi, I'm Jacob, a Janitor at Paramount Pictures. Movie piracy puts me out of a job."
    Hi, I'm Jacob, a Janitor at Paramount Pictures. Movie piracy didn't put me out of a job, illegal aliens did. Help close our borders."

See, then the Republicans can stop pretending to care about bi-partisan issues and move onto issues they love to tout, but do nothing substantial about.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Is that on theaters? I never seen that...

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    ElNono, you watch the Boondocks? Dload the season 2 premiere where they go to the movies, or look it up on Youtube... they do a joke on those kinds of commercials, saying that stealing a movie is like mugging an old lady, or even killing her. Good stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ElNono, you watch the Boondocks? Dload the season 2 premiere where they go to the movies, or look it up on Youtube... they do a joke on those kinds of commercials, saying that stealing a movie is like mugging an old lady, or even killing her. Good stuff.
    I'll have to check it out. Thanks

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see more support for stealing content is still cool.

Awesome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it was pretty funny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Awesome.
    stfu!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Awesome.
    Nice strawman, but that's not what we're talking about here...

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    No one quote me... you'd be stealing my very words! I want a dollar everytime someone quotes me. :p

Believe.
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Awesome.
    How can something be stolen if it never leaves its original origin?

This is borrowing there is a difference, when you borrow something the original owners still keeps his or her item, when you steal something the original owner does not have the item any longer.

I can borrow your avatar and use it in another forum as long as you still have it when you sign on its only been borrowed, if you sign online and your avatar is missing? then its been stolen. You seem to be an educated man i really thought you knew the difference from stealing and borrowing.

help fight the power.

http://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/Gal..._vote_campaign

http://thepiratebay.org/

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Is that on theaters? I never seen that...
    I'm exaggerating a bit. I think it was some dude who helps sets up the lights on the set. Hilarious, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can something be stolen if it never leaves its original origin?

This is borrowing there is a difference, when you borrow something the original owners still keeps his or her item, when you steal something the original owner does not have the item any longer.

I can borrow your avatar and use it in another forum as long as you still have it when you sign on its only been borrowed, if you sign online and your avatar is missing? then its been stolen. You seem to be an educated man i really thought you knew the difference from stealing and borrowing.
    You're correct that it's not stealing. However, 'borrowing' copyrighted information without asking for permission first is copyright infringement, a crime.

help fight the power.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don't even think "borrowing" is the right term because wouldn't that suggest returning said pirated ?

ah it! the bs copyright laws and money hungry associations like the mpaa.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You're correct that it's not stealing. However, 'borrowing' copyrighted information without asking for permission first is copyright infringement, a crime.
    So then you alone created your avatar?

oh wait you notified the copyrighted image creator and he sent you permission?

How did you go about it without breaking any laws?

It must be nice to be able to live a sin free life like you and your friend Eric are able to do.

Thread Information