Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not an cap expert but I would say that a first rounder for Chandler can be done straight up. The picks count as salary IMO, a first rounder means a guaranteed contract for the player.
    That's what I'm hoping as well. The prevailing notion seems to be that acquiring Chandler would somehow cost the Spurs more that a 1st. I'm no cap expert either, so I'm not sure why.

I don't think anyone is foolish enough to believe that the Spurs have solved their issues at the SF spot. Chandler, while not perfect, could help. Can't wait to see how this all turns out.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not an cap expert but I would say that a first rounder for Chandler can be done straight up. The picks count as salary IMO, a first rounder means a guaranteed contract for the player.

The Spurs traded Jerrells for a conditional second rounder without receiving a contract back or a trade exception as the Hornets are over the cap.

Dice signed with the Spurs for a chance to win the le, it would be very un-Spur to get him traded, if the deal isn't to sign him after the buyout. Besides, Butler is still playoffs unproven and Splitter has yet to play in the NBA.

It's very unlikely that the Spurs ship Anderson. He was a high pick for Spurs standards. He could have all-star potential. The trade wouldn't make sense for Chandler who's a role player.
    a pick always counts zero!

the Hornets use one of their many trade exceptions in their trade for Jerrells.
    (that way they created a TE for the Spurs with the value of the Jerrells salary= 762K)

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a pick always counts zero!

the Hornets use one of their many trade exceptions in their trade for Jerrells.
    (that way they created a TE for the Spurs with the value of the Jerrells salary= 762K)
    Does this mean the 1st rounder + Gee + Temple + that trade exception is enough to take back Chandler? Or can that TE not be packaged?

Who wants a mustache ride oligarchy's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does this mean the 1st rounder + Gee + Temple + that trade exception is enough to take back Chandler? Or can that TE not be packaged?
    You can only package a TE with picks, which, as previously stated, have 0 value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Gist waived, Spurs now don't really have what it takes to match Chandler or Rush salaries. They had to include McDyess or Anderson if they want to a trade for one of them.
    It seems Dice would be of interest to Denver if they go in rebuilding mode.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny ferry is in Philly to watch sixers and knicks....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only Chandler was playing tonight...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if true that's pretty interesting.
    (and there could have been several reasons why Chandler didn't play. Ferry might still have expected to see him play)

or there are other players involved? the rumor was that the Knicks want the Spurs 2011 1st rounder, they might still be interested, but maybe the offer has changed. Walker and my man Landry Fields could be intriguing for the Spurs as well. Fields played a good summer league and showed also some decent games during this pre season. (last night 15 points)

if anyone is interested, some posts about Fields:
    http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthre...=Landry+Fields

I saw Fields in the Gomes and Dudely niche. (although he is significantly better an athlete than Dudely)
    maybe even even a bit Battier?

however. he isn't the super athlete like Chandler, but he offers a lot what we would call Spurs material. again: I wouldn't be surprised if he was the reason for Ferry's trip to the Knicks game.
    (and I really don't think he was there to just scout the Sixers as an opponent. they play them in about 4 weeks and there will be about 10 regular season games to scout them before that game. and the Knicks the Spurs don't play before January)

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (and I really don't think he was there to just scout the Sixers as an opponent. they play them in about 4 weeks and there will be about 10 regular season games to scout them before that game. and the Knicks the Spurs don't play before January)
    Probably there to see if anyone else is waived.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    might be. Knicks and Sixers need to cut at least one player.
    but I fear ST will cry if any of those possible cuts (Rautins, Shawne Williams, Ewing Jr., Plaisted, Quinn) is signed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    since this the inofficial "every rumor around the league that might or might not affect the Spurs" thread:

According to ESPN, Varejao could be involved in a trade that is progressing with the Knicks and Nuggets. Maybe in fact it could be a three-team trade with the Knicks, Cavs and Nuggets!
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...acist-comments
    this does make some sense IMO, if Nuggets get back either Gallinari along with Varejao and a pick and Randolph ends up with the rebuilding Cavs team.
    (Cavs might as well be very interested in Chandler).
    the question is, do the Cavs include their 2011 pick? they are likely lottery bound, so are they willing to ship a lottery pick? on the other hand, if the pick is lottery protected, are the Nuggets interested? (can't see that).
    there might still a 4th team (Spurs?) come into play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    since this the inofficial "every rumor around the league that might or might not affect the Spurs" thread:

this does make some sense IMO, if Nuggets get back either Gallinari along with Varejao and a pick and Randolph ends up with the rebuilding Cavs team.
    (Cavs might as well be very interested in Chandler).
    the question is, do the Cavs include their 2011 pick? they are likely lottery bound, so are they willing to ship a lottery pick? on the other hand, if the pick is lottery protected, are the Nuggets interested? (can't see that).
    there might still a 4th team (Spurs?) come into play.
    EDIT:
    just looked at the potential of a Nuggets-Cavs-Knicks deal. could be very nice for all teams. the Cavs TE from the Lebron S&T make it work.
    and that way the Nuggets could also save about 12-15 million in salary and taxes. (for example: Nuggets get Varejao and Gallinari, Cavs get Curry and Randolph, Knicks get Melo. picks will be involved. Nuggets are still pretty good, especially when considering the Nuggets get more size to match better in the West)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, so I went to Raps vs Knicks game, and I observed Chandler - during the 1st quarter only, I didnt give a after that...

- Defense: I like what I saw from him; he was really focused, displayed a nice footwork on the perimeter, and did a great job on Kleiza, who had been red hot in the preseason prior to tonight's game
    However, Keep in mind that Kleiza is not the fastest guy on the court, but he had been playing with confidence, and stopping a confident scorer is already a good thing.
    Also, he didnt seem to be lost on the court.

He also did a good job in pick'n'roll situations, but was so-so when it comes to defensive help: sometimes good, sometimes a bit late

- Rebounding: he crashed the board without hesitation; didnt grab a lot of rebounds, but the mindset was there

- Offense: as Timvp mentioned in the 1st page of this thread, I wouldn't rely too much on him for scoring a lot of points; however, he played smartly, and did a very good job at passing the ball on the perimeter and at kicking the ball out when trying to penetrate.
    On the very rare times he cut to the basket without the ball, he did it with a good timing; that's something he should do more often.

Let's not forget that the Raps have one of the tiest D in the NBA though.

Overall, he has a good potential; he is dedicated to playing D, has good offensive IQ and positioning, but is not agressive enough offensively.

Current status: a good project

Last edited by lefty; 10-22-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Current status: a Knick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Current status: a trade with the Spurs isn't happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was there ever any definitive answer on whether or not the Spurs had the horses to get a deal done if it came down to it? Do we have a TE and if so can we package it with the pick plus scrubs to make the deal work?

Of course it all comes down to NY getting a deal to work but I just want to know in theory if this can even happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was there ever any definitive answer on whether or not the Spurs had the horses to get a deal done if it came down to it? Do we have a TE and if so can we package it with the pick plus scrubs to make the deal work?

Of course it all comes down to NY getting a deal to work but I just want to know in theory if this can even happen.
    The definitive answer is NO.

Spurs can't do a trade for Chandler (or for Rush) without including at least one of Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, McDyess, Splitter, Anderson, Blair or Hill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There have been preliminary discussions between Wilson Chandler and the Knicks regarding a potential contract extension, The Post has learned. "There's been positive dialogue," Chandler's agent, Chris Luchey, told The Post. "I wouldn't be surprised if he is extended." New York Post

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brandon Rush is completely out of the rotation in Indiana. Jim O'Brien has committed to Granger, Mikey D and George.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...yssey=obinsite

It's too bad even the most creative math can't make something work between the Pacers and Spurs. It would be a win for everybody.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs can't do a trade for Chandler (or for Rush) without including at least one of Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, McDyess, Splitter, Anderson, Blair or Hill.
    That means that the Spurs have to make do with whatever perimeter defense they can get from their current set atleast till December 25th. And then try swapping Bonner for Rush (more likely) or Chandler. Rush is more likely because the Pacers might a replacement for their lost PF, Troy Murphy. Bonner's 3Point scoring is as good or even better than Murphy, but his rebounding isn't. But his contract is not so bad for the Pacers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

so there is no TE?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That means that the Spurs have to make do with whatever perimeter defense they can get from their current set atleast till December 25th. And then try swapping Bonner for Rush (more likely) or Chandler. Rush is more likely because the Pacers might a replacement for their lost PF, Troy Murphy. Bonner's 3Point scoring is as good or even better than Murphy, but his rebounding isn't. But his contract is not so bad for the Pacers.
    Bonner can be traded after December 15th.
    If Blair and Splitter are both good and if Anderson isn't, it's realistic to think that Spurs will try to trade Bonner for a backup SF.
    But that's a lot of ifs and it can't happen before nearly two months, so wait and see...

Spurs have two little TEs (from the Ratliff and the Jerrells trade) but TEs can't be added or combined with other players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Blair and Splitter are both good and if Anderson isn't, it's realistic to think that Spurs will try to trade Bonner for a backup SF.
    But that's a lot of ifs and it can't happen before nearly two months, so wait and see...

Spurs have two little TEs (from the Ratliff and the Jerrells trade) but TEs can't be added or combined with other players.
    Alright good deal thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I read some cap do ents today. Players on minimal salary are traded without taking contracts back, as there is exception in that case. Same as draft picks, those contracts simply count for 0 in trades.

Which would mean the Spurs don't have a TE from the Jerrells trade.

That being said, the Spurs could make a trade with a pick and Gee, but they would need a third team. Every team needs a third PG, so Temple should stay with the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    However, the option that exists is that Bowen or Horry make a S&T not 100% guaranteed deal for what is missing in salaries.

For example:

Spurs send
    - S&T Bowen to the required number with a small guaranteed part
    - cash to compensate the Knicks or Indiana for that small part they will have to pay
    - Gee with a second rounder or a first rounder only

The Pacers or the Knicks send
    - Chandler or Rush

Thread Information