Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read some cap do ents today. Players on minimal salary are traded without taking contracts back, as there is exception in that case. Same as draft picks, those contracts simply count for 0 in trades.

Which would mean the Spurs don't have a TE from the Jerrells trade.
    That's false.

It's true that a team can acquire a minimum salary player without an exception. But when a team trade away a minimum salary player for picks, a trade exception is generated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    However, the option that exists is that Bowen or Horry make a S&T not 100% guaranteed deal for what is missing in salaries.

For example:

Spurs send
    - S&T Bowen to the required number with a small guaranteed part
    - cash to compensate the Knicks or Indiana for that small part they will have to pay
    - Gee with a second rounder or a first rounder only

The Pacers or the Knicks send
    - Chandler or Rush
    First, Spurs can't S&T Bowen since his last team was Bucks.
    Second, when you S&T a player the first year must be fully guaranteed.

In theory, a S&T with Horry could work to get Chandler or Rush but there are good chances that the league forbid it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My understanding of the whole Chandler rumor is that it is based on the Knicks wanting to get under the cap enough to be able to trade for Melo. So they wouldn't want salary back, but do need an extra first round draft pick for the Melo trade... as a sweetener.

I also don't see us sending away Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, McDyess, Splitter, Anderson, Blair or Hill for Chandler. This leaves few options at this point. Here is what looks most plausible to me, although it'll take a couple months before it can occur.

1. If the Spurs found a team that wanted to take Bonner's salary off our hands in return for a draft pick, that would give us a $3M Trade Exception. This could only happen after Dec 15th though, almost 2 months from now.

2. We could then use the trade exception to have the Knicks send us Chandler.

3. We'd give the Knicks the first round draft pick they need for the Melo trade.

Everyone's happy.

Although I need to see who could absorb / make room (and would want) a contract like Bonner's.
    Last edited by bluebellmaniac; 10-23-2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: I like to think of this as a summary of what Bruno and ChumpDumper was explaining... kudos to Bruno and ChumpDumper for the explanations...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Melo isn't a FA, AFIK the Knicks don't need to get under the cap to sign him. The Nuggets want various draft picks.

The Spurs send: Gee + first round pick + S&T Horry + cash
    The Knicks send: Chandler

Or

The Spurs send: Gee + second round pick + S&T Horry + cash
    The Pacers send: Rush

The Spurs would have to pay around $1M in cash (for Horry's first year), the move would put them over the luxury threshold and there would be some luxury tax to pay, finally the Spurs would also lose the 1/30 luxury tax retribution (may be around $3M).

All in all, in that scenario, Chandler and Rush would be expensive, however the team gets complete with talent.

Mid season is too late for a player to catch-up with the Spurs system. The wing defender wouldn't be ready by playoffs time.

One more time... xtremesteven33's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is this thread still open

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    e enically? or in general?

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Wilson Chandler isn't walking through that door. Rush isn't walking through that door.

The final roster will be a subset of the players under contract now. Sorry to rain on your ing parade, dream heads.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW:

Pacers pick up Rush's option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I gave up on clicking on this thread way back... but when I just noticed Solid D as the last poster, I thought... oh man maybe some real news finally...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah i think its safe to say wilson chandler isnt coming lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, if you stopped posting pics it would.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In theory, a S&T with Horry could work to get Chandler or Rush but there are good chances that the league forbid it.
    I honestly don't see how they could forbid it at this point. There was some uproar with the Gasol deal and others in recent years, but the hole exists until it doesn't anymore. And with the CBA set to expire next year, when they can address such a loophole, this may be the last time you could take advantage of it.

This contract was collectively bargained so they may frown upon it or dissuade people from doing it, but I'm not sure how they'd have any standing on enforcement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First, Spurs can't S&T Bowen since his last team was Bucks.
    Second, when you S&T a player the first year must be fully guaranteed.

I seem to remember that the Mavs facilitated a similar such deal, a few years ago. They used the rights of the recently-retired Keith Van Horn, as part of assets used in a trade with the NJ Nets. Van Horn, who had been retired at least 2 years, was required to show up to the Nets for a physical. He was released immediately back into retirement - and in return he received an undisclosed amount of cash for his agreement to the sign-n-trade scenario.

Unless there has been new rules implemented to forbid such a trade - using Robert Horry in a S&T scenario to get Chandler would be quite a coup.

Great thinking, Bruno.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I seem to remember that the Mavs facilitated a similar such deal, a few years ago. They used the rights of the recently-retired Keith Van Horn, as part of assets used in a trade with the NJ Nets. Van Horn, who had been retired at least 2 years, was required to show up to the Nets for a physical. He was released immediately back into retirement - and in return he received an undisclosed amount of cash for his agreement to the sign-n-trade scenario.

Unless there has been new rules implemented to forbid such a trade - using Robert Horry in a S&T scenario to get Chandler would be quite a coup.

Great thinking, Bruno.
    Cmon Senor, lets say the Spurs would pull off a trade like this using Horry. The Spurs ownership doesn't have the money to pay off Horry on the side. Maybe they could give Horry A Taco Cabana gift card. Would that do it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the way when he dunks on someone...he has no emotion like some other spurs!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cmon Senor, lets say the Spurs would pull off a trade like this using Horry. The Spurs ownership doesn't have the money to pay off Horry on the side. Maybe they could give Horry A Taco Cabana gift card. Would that do it?
    That, along with a gift certificate from Yardley's Spa should cover it.

I realize the Spurs rarely, if ever, throw cash around, in this fashion - even if they could afford to. It's just wishful thinking on my part. However, the point is that it HAS been done before by other clubs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 cents

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Great thinking, Bruno.
    Bruno confirmed it's possible, it was my idea. Since Jerrells was traded square heads were saying any trade to land Chandler or Rush was " ing" impossible.

As Melo makes pressure to get traded, well who knows. Finally, trading Chandler for a first round pick is a small sacrifice to get a superstar. Not sure about Rush-Pacers situation, previously it looked Bird has lost the patience.

However, never said it was highly probable. Besides the availability of those players depends on external factors, Chandler or Rush would mean serious money and in the case of the Spurs the payroll level wasn't always directly linked to championships.
    Last edited by dunkman; 10-30-2010 at 06:05 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's not exactly what happened with KVH.

The league didn't like at all Mavs using a loophole in the CBA to do this trade and they agreed to it only if KVH stayed with Nets until the end of the season and wasn't waived. It's possible, and even likely, that the league send a memo to all teams after the Kidd trade saying that they won't allow this kind of tricks.
    Another problem is that Horry had to agreed. Horry has earned $54M and won 7 rings. It's far from sure he would agreed to be part of that joke to earn an extra $1.5M.
    All in all, while a Horry S&T is theoretically possible, in fact, it likely isn't possible.

Ridding the world of Alien Scum...Relentlessly. Man In Black's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs did the same thing when they got Ron Mercer and Hedo Turkoglu.

San Antonio Spurs
    During the 2003 offseason, Türkoğlu was traded to the San Antonio Spurs along with Ron Mercer in a three-team trade. The trade also sent Brad Miller to the Kings and Scot Pollard and Danny Ferry to the Pacers

Danny Ferry, for all intents and purposes, was not going to play anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the team playing so well as of late, it might not be a good idea to mess with the chemistry at the moment, but I think this is still worth saying nonetheless.

At the moment, we have 2 trade exceptions worth around $800k and $700k thanks to trades we made earlier involving Theo Ratliff and Curtis Jerrells. We also signed Ime Udoka for the veteran minimum earlier this season which amounts to roughly $700k. Do the math, and that totals to roughly $2.2 million.

Wilson Chandler has a salary of $2.1 million.

With New Jersey making moves to acquire more draft picks to help sweeten their offer to Denver in the Melo sweepstakes, New York has to be able to keep up by offering first round picks of their own. Acquiring our first round pick certainly would help that cause, especially when you consider that reports have surfaced that Anthony would only be willing to sign an extension if he were to be traded to New York.

As for us, if a deal like this were to go through, we would essentially have done a major upgrade on Ime Udoka. Unfortunately, we can't trade him until the last day before the trade deadline, so if we're going to pull the trigger on this move, we have to risk having no one snatch Chandler before we can get him. Alternatively, we could throw Chris Quinn into the fold in place of Udoka, but we can't trade him until much later either. I'm also concerned that this trade might put us over the luxury tax, and we all know how determined the front office is to avoid that.

Personally if I'm Peter Holt, if I was willing to pay $8 million in luxury tax last season for a marginally good team, why wouldn't I pay $1 - 2 million to make a potential championship team even better, especially if all I'm giving up in the process is Ime Udoka and a very late first round pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You cannot combine trade exceptions. That's it and that's all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then trade Quinn, Udoka, and one of the trade exceptions plus the first round pick for Chandler.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick for chandler unless there is an extension...we could possibly get him this offseaon for the MLE if he doesn't sign an exentsion or no lockout

One guy who I would like the spurs to get is jarred dudley but doubt phoenix will trade him to us unless there having a huge firesale, but I think that team is good enough to be 7 or 8 in the conference

Thread Information