Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a no-brainer for us. Wilson Chandler is better than anyone we could possibly get next year in the draft. He is a real Small Forward, not an undersized SF/SG. He would make our Bench better and add Depth to our roster. Plus he is entirely low risk because his contract expires after this Season.

C: Tiago Splitter - Antonio McDyess
    PF: Tim Duncan - Dejuan Blair - Matt Bonner
    SF: Richard Jefferson - Wilson Chandler
    SG: Manu Ginobili - James Anderson
    PG: Tony Parker - George Hill - Garrett Temple

I like.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its a very short term move which is fine if we really think this year is our last chance with this core which could be true especially if next year is a lock out taking a year away from duncan/ginobili. this could be a smart move considering our 1st rounder wouldnt even play until the year after he was drafted

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see it now....

Spurs get Chandler for a 1st

Chandler shows some potential

Spurs try to re-sign him

He signs an offer sheet with another team that the Spurs don't match

RJ chuckles, while counting the 9.2 million he will make that season

listen debbie downer
    you think the spurs would sign a guy that wouldnt verbally commit long term?? were not trading minds with the knicks were trading players/assets. give pop a lil credit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this kid is blowing up this past year in one game he scored 35 freaking points!!! in one game he also had 17 rebounds!! in another game he had 3 steals in one game about 7 different times hes also had 4 blocks in two different occasions, i mean hes just oozing with potential and dont forget he 6'8''!!!! thats a dream for a defensive SF!!

chieflion is right, about some of his stuff declining but the areas where hes increasing is major like EFF and FREETHROWS i know for a fact he will get better here with pop and chip. like chieflion said mike D is ruining him there but if we nourish him on the defensive end and he learns frm our team he can only get better !!!

theres no Q this is a great move for our future and NOW plus i doubt we get anyone good nxt year weve had too much good luck in the draft as of late haha
    Last edited by Leonard Curse; 10-01-2010 at 04:25 AM.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no brainer IMO.
    and a very good move when working on the post Duncan era.
    Spurs are missing just one player to complete a pretty nicely balanced line up, that could be the core for many years to come.
    Hill (24) - Anderson (21) - Chandler (23) - Blair (21) - Splitter (25)
    to me this looks like a plan!
    if Hill can further develop his good shooting and Anderson is as good a shooter as we hope, it won't hurt that much if Chandler never becomes a reliable 3pt shooter. (as long as he plays above average defense of course)
    this line up would also provide a nice mix of skills in other areas.
    size: with the exception of Blair, good size for all positions.
    defense: Hill, Chandler and hopefully Splitter should/could be above average, Hill and Chandler could form a perimeter force one day.
    inside scoring: Blair and Splitter will be pretty good there.
    rebounding: Blair is, Chandler could be above average, the others are decent.
    athleticism: Chandler and Hill are good/great athletes, Anderson might be better than given credit, Tiago is at least decent, thanks to his mobility and footwork.
    versatility: the option to play Chandler at PF and plug in a 2nd guard as shooter/ball handler (Neal?, De Colo?) opens nice scenarios for the small ball game.

overall giving up the 2011 1st rounder is more than worth to take the mentioned risks. Chandler might not be the perfect fit to solve the back up SF issue for the next season, but IMO he is a very good fit for the future. and therefore it is also worth to take the risk that he will be a RFA next summer. (btw. next season he wouldn't get a role with the Spurs that allows him to push his value to an unrealistic level.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i would love that. for the longest time i envied portland's deep wings, but seeing how they don't have outlaw or webster anymore. . .

chandler would be a nice change. teach that kid some D, and he can be a cheaper version of ariza
    Well he's stuck in minnesota and there stacked with wings and fowards but no big guys and minnesota always loves 1st round picks I don't know why spurs just trade for webster he can shoot 3 I don't know about his defense though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see it now....

Spurs get Chandler for a 1st

Chandler shows some potential

Spurs try to re-sign him

He signs an offer sheet with another team that the Spurs don't match

RJ chuckles, while counting the 9.2 million he will make that season

oh look...the glass is half empty!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My main problem with Chandler is his contract. He is a FA this summer and will Spurs be able to match other teams offers?
    On top of that, Chandler has a poor jumpshot and is injury prone. At the end I don't know if a likely 1 year rental of Chandler is worth a first round pick.

Another question is how Spurs would do to match salaries?
    Chandler for Jerrells+Temple+Gee+1st would work but it would also put Spurs above the tax.
    Azubuike+Chandler for Dice+1st would work and let Spurs below the tax but Spurs would be very thin in the paint.
    It could be something more complicate with other teams involved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My main problem with Chandler is his contract. He is a FA this summer and will Spurs be able to match other teams offers?
    On top of that, Chandler has a poor jumpshot and is injury prone. At the end I don't know if a likely 1 year rental of Chandler is worth a first round pick.

Chandler for Jerrells+Temple+Gee+1st would work but it would also put Spurs above the tax.
    Azubuike+Chandler for Dice+1st would work and let Spurs below the tax but Spurs would be very thin in the paint.
    Not sure if it would involve two teams or maybe more than 2 to complete the melo the NYK..The odds are way stacked against the spurs making a move such as this and I believe chandler would have to re-sign a contract before such a trade (which also a longshot).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

bruno good point but i dont think people realize how big of a role dice is to our team like it or not esp now that tiago has plantar fasc. hes way to important to let go

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i started to think maybe pop is quick to pull the trigger because it kills 2 birds with one stone!!

1. w/the trade it immediately makes the west weaker & increases our chances of winning the west

2. while we get a future good sf prospect w/great height and capble D allowing j.anderson to play his natural pos.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    esp now that tiago has plantar fasc.
    You should drop whatever it is you're smoking and pick up punctuation instead

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

the acquisition of the Spurs 1st rounder at this point only makes sense for the Knicks, if it helps them to get a deal done (Melo). so it would be a 3 teams, like even more teams deal.
    (btw. a straight deal that keeps us below the threshold and get back a big could be Dice, Gee, Jerrels +1st for Chandler + Turiaf)
    does the fact that he is a RFA bother me? not really. RFA isn't a bad situation for any team and usually an easy choice. and if he isn't a fit, it's better to get rid of him sooner than later. at least he already proved he can be a NBA player, that's something no 1st round pick can guarantee you. (Anderson included). assuming Spurs would pick 22-26, the chance isn't better than 50% to get a better player than Chandler, so this logic would tell to pick him.
    (I know that there would likely be some intriguing SFs in the 2011 class, namely Elias Harris, but history taught us that the SFs we would like are gone at the point when we pick)

injury prone?
    he missed 17 games last season due to a groin injury. I wouldn't call him Injury prone for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't see the Spurs giving up a 1st rd pick for a 1yr rental. Please tell me how that makes any sense?
    Well I'm pretty sure spurs have something set up to give him some sort of contract extension but when you look up this years draft I don't really see it as deep as last years or many small foward prospects...chandler would be perfect and my second choice to trade for besides webster

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there are legit pros and cons about the Chandler trade (as it is about almost any trade).
    but what I absolutely don't understand is, why the most obvious questions are ignored.
    #1: what has the higher impact for the 2010-11 season, Chandler or the 2011 pick?
    #2: how many more years is the so called window open? (Tony himself said it's just one)
    #3: how many other deals for a young SF, who happens to be a good defender do the Spurs have in place?
    #4: which of the Spurs off season goals (as RC mentioned them in his interview) are not yet achieved.

I guess that should be easy to answer.
    however, I don't want to claim Chandler was special. far from that. but if he did have a 3pt shot, he wasn't on the market for a late 1st rounder.
    what he does have, is far above average athleticism (what Spurs lack), great size for SF (what the Spurs lack either outside RJ), the option to be used as small ball PF (an option the Spurs don't have b/c RJ isn't one) and most of all, he is a better perimeter defender (at least considering his potential) than any other player currently on the roster.

so yes, I would even sacrifice the 1st rounder, if we would lose Chandler next summer. (Spurs have a nice young nucleus in place that makes it expendable IMO)

but! we do have the chance to find out that Chandler is exactly what the team needs for the future AND we might also find out that we don 't need to overpay for him. such things happen. but they only happen if you do take the chance in the first place.
    (btw. who would have ever thought we get Splitter for that kind of money?)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we go ahead and make this happen?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there are legit pros and cons about the Chandler trade (as it is about almost any trade).
    but what I absolutely don't understand is, why the most obvious questions are ignored.
    #1: what has the higher impact for the 2010-11 season, Chandler or the 2011 pick?
    #2: how many more years is the so called window open? (Tony himself said it's just one)
    #3: how many other deals for a young SF, who happens to be a good defender do the Spurs have in place?
    #4: which of the Spurs off season goals (as RC mentioned them in his interview) are not yet achieved.

I guess that should be easy to answer.
    however, I don't want to claim Chandler was special. far from that. but if he did have a 3pt shot, he wasn't on the market for a late 1st rounder.
    what he does have, is far above average athleticism (what Spurs lack), great size for SF (what the Spurs lack either outside RJ), the option to be used as small ball PF (an option the Spurs don't have b/c RJ isn't one) and most of all, he is a better perimeter defender (at least considering his potential) than any other player currently on the roster.

so yes, I would even sacrifice the 1st rounder, if we would lose Chandler next summer. (Spurs have a nice young nucleus in place that makes it expendable IMO)

but! we do have the chance to find out that Chandler is exactly what the team needs for the future AND we might also find out that we don 't need to overpay for him. such things happen. but they only happen if you do take the chance in the first place.
    (btw. who would have ever thought we get Splitter for that kind of money?)
    These obvious questions are ignored because they have the most obvious answers and everyone agrees with them. I will just say that Wilson Chandler is over hyped as a defender and he has absolutely no experience playing in a structured offense, where his skills as an open court player would be absolutely minimized. What the Spurs would be doing is to bring him in as a one year rental, see whether he works, if he doesn't, then the Spurs lose the 1st round pick for absolutely no return and of course he financial risk of going past the luxury tax, which the Spurs, this off-season have shown almost no interest of going over. I will all be for the deal if the Spurs are 100% willing to commit to Wilson Chandler long term if he perofrms at an optinum level.

Your point is legit, yes, Wilson Chandler would definitely help more because he is somebody replacing nobody at the open backup SF/PF spot. Yes, I realize that he is one of my dream SF/PF tweeners. I also realize his limitations as a shooter, although he is 37.2% from the corner, he shoots better at the right corner at 43.5%. His declining hustle (offensive and defensive rebounds) and defensive stats (steals and blocks) since his rookie season also troubles me.

I do like his increasing efficiency every year (TS% and PER), due to free throw percentage and field goal percentage. The Spurs have already committed to Richard Jefferson long term (Damn it) and a Richard Jefferson clone like Wilson Chandler (they are too eerily similar in terms of impact), but without a 3 point shot, will cause the team from a financial standpoint, it is not my money, it is none of my concern, I am just showing you the aspects of things here.

You mentioned his defensive potential, which I agree was not realized yet, I know why it might change in San Antonio as opposed to New York because of the different system.

Another note to the posters here who are unaware, this deal may already have been completed, but Donnie Walsh is not such a bag to send his players packing from Italy (yes, they are in Italy for training camp and buisness trip) all the way back to the USA to complete the trade. Walsh has a good reputation in the league when it comes to treating his players well and would do nothing to tarnish that. He is going to wait until the trip is over before he will announce the trade if it was already in place. There was also rumors (heard it form Knicks board on RealGM) that Wilson Chandler was held back in practice.

Overall, I like the trade (if it is true), but it isn't as big as a steal as most here thought it would be. Usually, teams don't trade a 1st round pick for an expiring contract, an average player like Wilson Chandler.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't see the Spurs giving up a 1st rd pick for a 1yr rental. Please tell me how that makes any sense?
    There's this window. When you look through it, you see Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. Then you notice that window is nearly closed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wat happens if we give up that 1st round pick

then tp decides to bolt end of teh season?

whose backup for ghill at pg?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Van Exel and Damon Stoudamire are available

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the acquisition of the Spurs 1st rounder at this point only makes sense for the Knicks, if it helps them to get a deal done (Melo). so it would be a 3 teams, like even more teams deal.
    (btw. a straight deal that keeps us below the threshold and get back a big could be Dice, Gee, Jerrels +1st for Chandler + Turiaf)
    The problem I have with Turiaf is that he has a $4.36M PO for 2011-2012. If he picks him, Spurs would have even more financial troubles for re-signing Chandler.

injury prone?
    he missed 17 games last season due to a groin injury. I wouldn't call him Injury prone for that.
    The problem is with his left ankle. He has had surgeries during the past 2 off-seasons to fix it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Whats de Colo's status?

i like him for us!

Spurs fan at Princeton Ginobili2Duncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of the players in this year's draft class may just elect to stay in school with the chance of a lockout next season. So there is a good chance that this year's draft pick might be useless.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    getting Turiaf would be great. Would lose Dice's outside shooting and smarts (if he were involved).

Turiaf would give us a solid shot blocker and defensive presence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some additional thoughts on the potential acquisition of Chandler. We all know that the Spurs have been needing/wanting a long rookie SF for several seasons now - even dating back to the last couple of seasons of the Bowen era. During that time, there have been several attempts at failed attempts - including their failed attempt to nab Nicolas Batum in the 2008 NBA draft. As much as I love George Hill, he's been an emergeing young player, with a wonderful future. However, a combo guard is a luxury, and not what the Spurs have been needing. Instead a young, defensive-minded, athletic, SF has been needed.

If Chandler is the best and most current solution for that role, and only costs a first round pick, I say go get him. And I am one who despises burning 1st round picks, but this is a need the Spurs absolutely MUST fill. The Spurs can worry about his contract situation this summer. By then, I'm sure they'll have had time to formulate a long-term plan for that position. Furthermore, Chandler has enough NBA experience to be able to contribute more than a possible 2011 first round pick.

Because he's currently playing for a bad team, a run-and-gun coach, and a poor organization, I would bet that Chandler hasn't nearly optimized half of his obvious talents. In terms of defensive skills and ability, he's light years ahead of any perimeter player the Spurs have on their roster now. Also, he has significantly more untapped potential and upside to his all-around game, which would make him a good future investment. With Pop at the helm and the stability of the Spurs structure, I believe he would flourish more in the Spurs system. With more summer work, there's still time for him to develop his long-ball.

Besides all that, a possible future SF rotation of Chandler and Gee is very tempting.

Thread Information