Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'd suck to have to get rid of McDyess along with the first, but it'd be worth it for Chandler. You can always go out and get a 5th big to be playing 5-10 minutes at PF and C, but you're going to have a much harder time finding a backup SF that can play anywhere near the level of Chandler.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'd suck to have to get rid of McDyess along with the first, but it'd be worth it for Chandler. You can always go out and get a 5th big to be playing 5-10 minutes at PF and C, but you're going to have a much harder time finding a backup SF that can play anywhere near the level of Chandler.
    Do you really believe Mcdyess is the spurs 5th big? If the spurs want to win this season then Mcdyess needs to be on this team. I am all for trading for Chandler, but in no way do I give up anything other than a 1st and waste contracts (ie. Gee,Jerrells,etc)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem I have with Turiaf is that he has a $4.36M PO for 2011-2012. If he picks him, Spurs would have even more financial troubles for re-signing Chandler.

The problem is with his left ankle. He has had surgeries during the past 2 off-seasons to fix it.
    Add to that the fact that McDyess did a very good Defensive job on Odom and Nowitzki last season.
    He is the only current Spu who matches up well defensively against those 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    even if turiaf picks up the PO

i thought mcdyess contract runs out end of this season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDyess guarded Odom and Dirk well, but I think Splitter can handle Dirk at the very least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While Wilson Chandler as the backup SF seems appealing to me for the year, to keep us in le contention.. I don't know how a trade works that does not take away anyone else from the team who is worthwhile - like McDyess to stay under the tax. Maybe if the Spurs are willing to pay some tax to keep the window open, it could happen.. but paying luxury tax to get Wilson Chandler?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On a side note, there is this:
    Knicks’ Chandler Charged With Drug Possession (5/19/2010, NYTimes)

By KAREN ZRAICK
    Wilson Chandler of the Knicks was charged with criminal possession of marijuana during a traffic stop in Queens on Tuesday night, according to law enforcement officials.

Chandler, 23, a guard and forward, was behind the wheel of a white 2010 Mercedes-Benz when the police, on routine patrol, pulled him over for driving without his headlights on at the corner of 213th Street and 94th Avenue at 11:17 p.m.

During the stop, police officers from the 105th Precinct detected a strong odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle, according to Paul J. Browne, the police department’s chief spokesman.

Chandler had one passenger, Lamonte Yarbrough, 22, of Michigan, in the vehicle with him.

“The driver and the passenger admitted they had been smoking it and there was a marijuana cigarette in the driver’s seat,” Browne said.

In a search, the police recovered one bag of marijuana from the car’s center console and five from the trunk, according to the criminal complaint.

Both men were charged with fifth-degree criminal possession of marijuana, which applies to quan ies under two ounces. The charge is a misdemeanor punishable by up to three months in jail and a fine of $500.

The men, both Michigan residents, were given desk appearance tickets at the scene and are due in court on July 1 for arraignment.

Chandler, a Knick since the 2007-8 season, played in 65 games for the Knicks this season, averaging 15.3 points and 5.4 rebounds a game.

In a statement, the team said, “We have spoken to Wilson regarding last night’s incident and will not be commenting at this time.”

It was not clear whether Chandler will be subject to league discipline. An N.B.A. spokesman said his case will be reviewed. In general, the N.B.A. reserves judgment until the legal process has played out.

Under league rules on marijuana, a first-time offender — whether he fails a drug test or is arrested for possession — is enrolled in the N.B.A. drug program. A second offense results in a $25,000 fine. A third offense triggers a five-game suspension.

Because test results are confidential, it was not known whether Chandler has been enrolled in the program before.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/20/sp.../20knicks.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would NOT trade Antonio for Chandler.... no way in .

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish we could offload Bonner for Chandler, but the Spurs F.O. would never do it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's what they're saying at Spursreport, just if anyone's interested:

Uwe Blab
    SpursReport Team Bench

15pts per game on 48% shooting last year? I've never even heard of this guy. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wat happens if we give up that 1st round pick

then tp decides to bolt end of teh season?

whose backup for ghill at pg?
    If Parker doesn't sign an extension before the trade deadline he'll be moved, because it means he's willing to take less money to play elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish we could offload Bonner for Chandler, but the Spurs F.O. would never do it
    If only....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no way anyone wants that bonner bs contract

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Add to that the fact that McDyess did a very good Defensive job on Odom and Nowitzki last season.
    He is the only current Spu who matches up well defensively against those 2.
    IIRC the guy who did the best job against Odom was Jefferson. The last game we won Dice guarded Artest and Jefferson guarded Odom because the problem with Odom´s matchup was his speed not his strength

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    +1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will need someone to re-explain to me how RJ contract is not going to hurt the Spurs from a future standpoint.

The Spurs wouldn't trade for WC with RJ's old contract on the books this season and we'd have no Tiago Splitter. Want to revise your post now or would you rather continue to look at one side of the situation in a foolish manner? Up to you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will need someone to re-explain to me how RJ contract is not going to hurt the Spurs from a future standpoint.
    Wow,still crying bout these contracts..Bonners is not even that bad and people still complain (simply cause they dont like the guy). RJ I agree was signed for slightly above his going rate, but he can easily raise his value with a good season and I am sure the same people who are bashing will still find fault with guy...so sad

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My main problem with Chandler is his contract. He is a FA this summer and will Spurs be able to match other teams offers?
    On top of that, Chandler has a poor jumpshot and is injury prone. At the end I don't know if a likely 1 year rental of Chandler is worth a first round pick.

Another question is how Spurs would do to match salaries?
    Chandler for Jerrells+Temple+Gee+1st would work but it would also put Spurs above the tax.
    Azubuike+Chandler for Dice+1st would work and let Spurs below the tax but Spurs would be very thin in the paint.
    It could be something more complicate with other teams involved.
    Do you have to match them considering its a first round pick and a rookie scale contract? Knowing the Spurs were over the cap, this was my first thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    are the spurs allowed to trade bonner they just resigned him are they allowed to trade him immdediatley or have to wait until december or something?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs wouldn't trade for WC with RJ's old contract on the books this season and we'd have no Tiago Splitter. Want to revise your post now or would you rather continue to look at one side of the situation in a foolish manner? Up to you.
    So instead of explaining how it isn't going to hurt the Spurs in the future, you make up a pretend worst-case scenario where the Spurs don't get anything?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So instead of explaining how it isn't going to hurt the Spurs in the future, you make up a pretend worst-case scenario where the Spurs don't get anything?
    Oh wait, my pretend scenario wasn't good enough to battle the pretend scenario of the Spurs not being able to resign Wilson Chandler due to Richard Jefferson's contract because it was a pretend scenario?

Oh, MY BAD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want this black guy on the Spurs

:06

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh wait, my pretend scenario wasn't good enough to battle the pretend scenario of the Spurs not being able to resign Wilson Chandler due to Richard Jefferson's contract because it was a pretend scenario?

Oh, MY BAD.
    You should probably try to think about the difference between a pretend scenario that never happened and a likely outcome that hasn't happened yet. The Spurs would have had a draft pick to trade even if RJ hadn't opted out. The difference is he'd be an expiring contract. Pretty simple actually.

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    listen debbie downer
    you think the spurs would sign a guy that wouldnt verbally commit long term?? were not trading minds with the knicks were trading players/assets. give pop a lil credit
    Jackson, Stephen
    Claxton, Speedy
    Turkoglu, Hedo

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His lack of outside shooting is being overblown. He's only 23, so he could still become competent in this area (though he'll probably always be erratic, similar to Ariza and Barnes). If you're good enough in enough areas, you can overcome mediocre outside shooting. Granted, he shot out of his mind in the '09 playoffs, but did the Lakers care that Ariza wasn't a very good shooter? No, because they had so many other advantages (some of which, he contributed to) that in the end, it ended up not mattering.

Put him in a structured environment with a clearly defined role and I think he could excel. Do we know for sure? Of course not. But sometimes you have to take risks (calculated ones, that is). As is, this team is probably missing one more piece to seriously contend for a championship and he could be that piece. If he's not, so long as they can get him re-signed, he'd still be a solid piece for the future at a position of need.

Thread Information