Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its ok guys, we have Bonner locked up. we're gonna be ok.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    False. Absolutely false. Show me the proof where the Spurs would not have signed Tiago if RJ would not have opted out.

There is absolutely no way they pass on Tiago coming over either way. None.

Also, why would they not trade for WC with RJ making 15M, but could with him making 10?

Subtract 15 from 10..... There's a gain of 5 million....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should probably try to think about the difference between a pretend scenario that never happened and a likely outcome that hasn't happened yet. The Spurs would have had a draft pick to trade even if RJ hadn't opted out. The difference is he'd be an expiring contract. Pretty simple actually.
    Likely?

Also, let me introduce you to the Luxury tax. You should talk for awhile.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    False. Absolutely false. Show me the proof where the Spurs would not have signed Tiago if RJ would not have opted out.

There is absolutely no way they pass on Tiago coming over either way. None.

Also, why would they not trade for WC with RJ making 15M, but could with him making 10?
    The Luxury Tax has never stopped the Spurs from doing anything. In fact, all the Spurs moves this summer did not revolve around the Luxury Tax.

Nope.

WTF is the Luxury tax anyway?

Id better stop now before this becomes a Scola thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Translation #2: "My uncle is from New York..."

Likely. Thats the funniest I've read in days. Saying any trade involving the Spurs you hear about is likely makes you look like a Spurs fan that has been following this team for 2 seasons.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @JMcDonald_SAEN
    Jeff McDonald
    @Preine713 FWIW, source in the loop tells E-N that Knicks and Spurs have not discussed anything re: Wilson Chandler.

http://twitter.com/#!/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/26118634691
    McDonald finally got himself a source?

Maybe in another 3 or 4 years he'll be able to break news all on his own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Luxury Tax has never stopped the Spurs from doing anything. In fact, all the Spurs moves this summer did not revolve around the Luxury Tax.

Nope.

WTF is the Luxury tax anyway?

Id better stop now before this becomes a Scola thread.
    Did the Spurs pay the luxury tax last season? You were also wrong about the Tiago move. Do you really think they would pass on him because of the LT? Of course not. Because that is incredibly stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did the Spurs pay the luxury tax last season? You were also wrong about the Tiago move. Do you really think they would pass on him because of the LT? Of course not. Because that is incredibly stupid.
    Luis Scola . . .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The luxury tax might have made the Spurs have to choose between Splitter and Bonner.

And we all know they would have chosen Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Completely different scenarios.

1) The Spurs were not in win-now mode when that move was made.

2) The Spurs paid the luxury tax last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Completely different scenarios.

1) The Spurs were not in win-now mode when that move was made.

2) The Spurs paid the luxury tax last season.
    I should have used this . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But, to answer your comment seriously,

1) The Spurs should have been in "win now mode" 3 years ago.

2) I don't think Peter Holt is too eager to do it again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He may not be eager, but they said the plan was to win now. We have heard nothing different. We certainly have no indication at all that the lt would cost the spurs Tiago. Especially when you hear the front office say they won't make the same mistake again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What other possible plan can there be? Duncan has his best years behind him and Parker is in the last year of his contract. It's either win now or nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The plan (& many teams do this) could have been to field a compe ive team and take no gambles or chances. They chose to pay the tax and take a chance on RJ.

But the entire point was that it is extremely unlikely the Spurs don't sign Tiago bc of the tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to say . . . I certainly didn't expect him to come as cheap as he did.

I don't really characterize the moves this off-season as "gambles or chances". They seem fairly prudent and conservative to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was referring to last season and the carry over. Once you make a choice like going after RJ last year, it limits what you can do for a few years.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need to get this guy... This is the Trevor Ariza type forward that we've been needing... He would compliment RJ so well in a small ball lineup. Imagine our small ball with RJ and Chandler leaking out on fast breaks with Parker and Hill running the back court.... The thought is sick, this would be a deadly fast-breaking team. -Speed kills

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect the situation with Tiago was unrelated to the tax situation simply because of a couple of factors: 1) He was willing and eager to come over this season. You turn him down now, and he might just turn around and sign a long term deal in Europe that you can't pry him out of in the future. 2) The buyout was affordable. You don't know he would have an opt-out clause like that in any newer contracts, considering he was a top player in Europe last season.

That's why I think it was do or die time for Tiago. And I'm pretty sure the Spurs FO was pretty aware of it.

As far as Holt and his willingness to pay the lux tax, well, the Spurs are going to be paying lux tax at the very least the next couple of seasons (provided the next CBA still includes a lux tax provision). I feel that if he thinks it will put this team over the top, he's certainly willing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need to get this guy... This is the Trevor Ariza type forward that we've been needing... He would compliment RJ so well in a small ball lineup. Imagine our small ball with RJ and Chandler leaking out on fast breaks with Parker and Hill running the back court.... The thought is sick, this would be a deadly fast-breaking team. -Speed kills
    If only the spurs would have went for Ariza and not RJ. Man...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs passed on Splitter because they weren't in win now mode? Ok.

Yes, they paid the LT last year. It was obviously a disaster. Tell me, did they go into LT tax territory this year? Why not if they are in win now mode? We all speculate a lot here but here are the facts:

Spurs have not yet signed anyone putting them into LT territory and in fact went out of their way to get out of that situation.

Spurs have passed on very good big men before because of the LT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs passed on Splitter because they weren't in win now mode? Ok.
    I am assuming you meant Scola, and yes. The Spurs were not in win now mode. They were winning and were doing so operating within a budget. They did not have to make moves because the big 3 were still all prime.

The league changed. The dynamics of the big 3 changed and they had to make a big move (RJ) and pay the LT. They admitted as such. The passed on Luis because they felt they could win and stay below the tax. It was not a basketball move, but a financial one because they felt the basketball side was still a championship core.

That also changed recently.

Yes, they paid the LT last year. It was obviously a disaster. Tell me, did they go into LT tax territory this year? Why not if they are in win now mode? We all speculate a lot here but here are the facts:

Spurs have not yet signed anyone putting them into LT territory and in fact went out of their way to get out of that situation.

Spurs have passed on very good big men before because of the LT.
    They very well could go into the luxury tax and at calling scoreboard at something when the season has not even started. I can't see into the future, so I don't know if they went into the LT.

I am sure they will try to operate under the tax, but any additional salaries brought on will push them over. If they re-sign TP, they will be paying LT the year after next. When they went with the plan to "win now", they knew they would be LT payers for the next few years.

They might have escaped it this year (although that remains to be seen), but they could very easily go over again. Those are the facts. They said they would not be making the Luis Scola mistake again.

They might be trying to avoid the LT, which all teams should do, but it did not cost them anything that would affect their ability to win now (talent wise). That does not mean they are refusing to pay LT. They just saw a way to avoid that and keep all of their players. They would not have done whatever they could to get under the LT line if it meant weakening their chances significantly. They know the tax is coming for the future (assuming there is no hard cap put into place).
    Last edited by DPG21920; 10-02-2010 at 08:45 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is cheaper, I suppose . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He played five more minutes a game, scored five points a game more, shot 39% from the field compared to RJ's 47%, and only managed to get one rebound and two assists more than Jefferson a game. Not to mention that he only shot just over .1% better from the 3 point line than RJ. RJ played more games and shot a better free throw percentage. Money wise he might not be the better deal, but you're giving Trevor a little too much credit there.

Thread Information