Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quick Grades: Spurs at Nuggets

For the second straight night, Manu Ginobili played the role of hero. He followed up his buzzer beater against the Bucks with a pair of valiant late-game plays against the Nuggets. First, Ginobili hit a twisting layup with 4.2 seconds left to give the Spurs a one point lead. To seal the 113-112 victory, Ginobili drew a charge on Carmelo Anthony at the final horn. The Spurs are now 22-3 and improved to 9-1 on the road with their win in Denver.

Tim Duncan A+
    Prior to this game, Tim Duncan was averaging 7.3 points and 4 rebounds on the second night of back-to-backs. That made his performance against the Nuggets even more stunning. He finished with 28 points, 16 rebounds, four assists, four blocks and no turnovers on 12-for-18 shooting — numbers that could make a Tim-Duncan-in-his-prime blush. He did a very good job taking control of the offense when things stagnated. On defense, he defended the rim well and cleaned the defensive backboard. He had some issues defending Nene in isolations … but that’s nitpicking an otherwise fantastic effort.

Manu Ginobili A-
    That’s a high grade for a player who was 1-for-8 after three quarters and looked completely out of gas but Manu Ginobili more than made up for his early struggles with his play in the final stanza. Starting at the 10:30 mark in the fourth quarter, Ginobili scored or assisted on the subsequent five field goals over a four minute stretch to turn a one-point deficit into a nine-point advantage. And that was only the hors d’oeuvres. Ginobili single-handedly won the game with his two huge plays at the end. Great instincts. Great compe or. Great season.

Tony Parker A
    From the middle of the first quarter until halftime, Tony Parker was the main reason why the Spurs were able to keep it close. He did a very good job of relentlessly attacking the rim and creating offense. In the second half, Parker wasn’t as successful but he kept his foot on the gas. Finishing with nine assists and only two turnovers is very much acceptable. I liked his defensive work for much of the night; he hounded Ty Lawson and kept him from being able to push the pace. It wasn’t Parker’s most aesthetically pleasing game but he played a key role in the win.

Richard Jefferson B
    Carmelo Anthony is a tough cover but I wasn’t too impressed with Richard Jefferson’s defense on him. Jefferson spent much of the night chasing around Anthony but couldn’t find a way to make life difficult for the Denver’s disgruntled star. Other than Jefferson’s questionable defense on Anthony, he played well. On offense, he ran the court and hit a few huge three-pointers — most notably a triple with two and a half minutes left to give the Spurs a five-point lead. Jefferson continues to find ways to produce without consistent touches and that in itself is an extreme change from last season.

DeJuan Blair C+
    The good news is that DeJuan Blair is back to being very good at finishing around the rim. His body control is back along with his soft touch. Blair’s also making steady progress on the defensive end in terms of knowing where to be. The bad news is that he hasn’t been rebounding lately. In the last three games, Blair has only ten boards in 54 minutes. If Blair isn’t rebounding at a high level, the rest of his game isn’t good enough to compensate.

George Hill D
    For the second straight game, George Hill reverted back to the passive George Hill we saw early in the season. When he doesn’t come out of the gates looking to attack, he becomes a liability really fast. He tried to force things as the game progressed but that only made it worse. Even worse, Hill’s struggles on the offensive end impacted his effort on the defensive end. Overall, he had a few good moments but the Spurs need him to snap out of this funk.

Gary Neal B-
    Gary Neal continues to show he’s not afraid to fire away. He might have forced a shot or two but he’s in there to shoot and keep the defense honest so I can’t complain too much. Defensively, Neal had real trouble against the athletic wings on Denver. The effort was there but the results were mostly poor. To his credit, Neal gave it his all on the defensive glass. His seven defensive rebounds were more than double of anyone on the team not named Tim Duncan.

Matt Bonner B+
    Matt Bonner hit 3-of-4 three-pointers, rebounded better than usual and led the team with a plus/minus of +16. Those numbers make it difficult to complain about Bonner on this night.

Antonio McDyess B
    His grade would have been better if he didn’t have a late turnover that almost gave the win to the Nuggets. Before that play, McDyess was really good. His defense was solid in the paint and out on the perimeter. He hit all three of his shots on offense and moved well without the ball. McDyess didn’t play in the first half so his presence in the second half was even more apparent than usual.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we should start using Bonner 30 minutes mandatorily on all B2B's from now on. er plays like an animal for some reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see your in the camp that believes McDyess ed up by passing it right into Ginobili's hand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good grades, although Dice's score is understandably difficult to assign. Great play from him, but he (and JR Smith's capitalization/foul off Antonio's bad inbound) almost lost us the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's like I said before, had Dice been throwing to Manu's left hand, he would have caught it blindfolded while doing a handstand.

It's not McDyess' fault Ginobili is extremely left hand dominant.

/shrug

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see your in the camp that believes McDyess ed up by passing it right into Ginobili's hand.
    I don't know about timvp, but I definitely thought that in trying to pass clear of his cover, Dice passed too low and away from Manu given JR Smith was right behind Ginobili. Not clear Antonio had much choice, but he still had time to wait for a clear passing lane.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's like I said before, had Dice been throwing to Manu's left hand, he would have caught it blindfolded while doing a handstand.

It's not McDyess' fault Ginobili is extremely left hand dominant.

/shrug
    Agreed -- although it's also not Dice's fault that Manu's left hand was obscured by Dice's defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you make grades for the Bucks game? I can't find the thread.

I needs six for my fix. UnWantedTheory's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once again, good grades.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No grade for Chris Quinn? Guy scored 2 points in 2 minutes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know about timvp, but I definitely thought that in trying to pass clear of his cover, Dice passed too low and away from Manu given JR Smith was right behind Ginobili. Not clear Antonio had much choice, but he still had time to wait for a clear passing lane.
    I rewound the DVR and am watching the replay now, the pass was a perfectly thrown shoulder high chest pass perfectly spotted to Ginobili's right hand. Yes, Smith is lunging at Manu as well but his outstretched hand doesn't deflect the pass that I can tell, the ball simply bounces off Ginobili's right hand and ricochets off his face.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice grades as usual, I think we saved our clothes this time.
    Nice game by TD, TP, also liked Bonner and ... what to say about Manu.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If 6 foot nothing Gary Neal can pull down seven boards in 19 minutes then RJ has no excuse for pulling down two boards in 36 minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I rewound the DVR and am watching the replay now, the pass was a perfectly thrown shoulder high chest pass perfectly spotted to Ginobili's right hand. Yes, Smith is lunging at Manu as well but his outstretched hand doesn't deflect the pass that I can tell, the ball simply bounces off Ginobili's right hand and ricochets off his face.
    Right on... if you have the tape in front of you, I'll defer to you. My memory is different, but memory is memory.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ending sequence of that game is truly vintage Ginobili. He makes a couple of clutch shots highlighted by that critical 3 point attempt near the end of the game (good). He fumbles a pass from McDyess, giving Denver the lead with a couple of seconds left (bad). He makes up for that error immediately by hitting a game winning shot and taking the game-winning charge (good).

I tell you it's a god damned roller coaster ride of emotions with Ginobili sometimes, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony and TD kept the spurs within striking distance in the first 3 quarters. Manu finished the job for the spurs. Thanks timvp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO the player of the game for the spurs is Tim, I was very pleased to see him being dominant ! 16 reb 4 blks 4 assists 0 TO and 30 pts to go with huge ! I'm more than happy to see 4 or 5 threads about how great Manu is but Tim performance has been overlooked badly.

Manu well he is Manu Ginobili, after 3 ghosts quarters a new clutch 4th quarter despite the last TO. The Dice pass was not a very good one but this TO is on him.

Great game too for TP, Offensively he took over while Manu was struggling which is a very good sign. TP is not forcing things Offensively when Manu is hot, he just let him taking the shots when Manu struggles he is capable of taking the O load. What a great combo ! 9 assists for 3 TOs is pretty good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you make grades for the Bucks game? I can't find the thread.
    Search->"quick Grades" = http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...t=quick+grades

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If 6 foot nothing Gary Neal can pull down seven boards in 19 minutes then RJ has no excuse for pulling down two boards in 36 minutes.
    Do you understand 95 % of Gary Neal's rebounds are uncontested?

Start keeping an eye out, Gary Neal is perhaps the biggest rebound when it comes to uncontested rebounds. ( This is when the majority of the offensive players of the opposition run back to defense, which leaves uncontested defensive rebounds up for grabs for 3-4 Spurs players; which Neal literally steals from his own teammates by taking the most initiative when really any Spurs player could have grabbed the easy uncontested board).

When it comes to contested rebounds R.J has him beat by miles.

The rebound statistic can be somewhat misleading because of this. I personally wish they had a contested rebound statistic.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 12-17-2010 at 08:16 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan might be looking at a Western Conference Player of the Week berth following this morning's game against Denver and his 7 block outing against Milwaukee the night before. If he can play solidly against Memphis it'll be a really nice stretch.

Gary Neal has been absolutely phenomenal for us. While he doesn't always have the size, speed, quickness, skill or whatever to handle the current opponent, he always goes in there and gives EVERYTHING to the mission. Whether its unrelenting effort on defense, rebounds, nifty assists or just scrappy hustle plays, the guy is all heart and doesn't . Plus, hes got a shooter's mentality with an in between game to boot. I was hopeful, but unconvinced, heading into Summer League, but now I'm just terribly happy.

George Hill, George Hill, where for art thou George Hill? Seriously, wake up man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you understand 95 % of Gary Neal's rebounds are uncontested?

Start keeping an eye out, Gary Neal is perhaps the biggest rebound when it comes to uncontested rebounds. ( This is when the majority of the offensive players of the opposition run back to defense, which leaves uncontested defensive rebounds up for grabs for 3-4 Spurs players).

When it comes to contested rebounds R.J has him beat by miles.

The rebound statistic can be somewhat misleading because of this . I personally wish they had a contested rebound statistic.
    Seconded.

You don't often see Neal fighting with anybody and wrestling a rebound away. But he does end up with a lot of rebounds. Jefferson on the other hand doesn't get many boards, but you'll see him make 1-3 athletic plays snagging a rebound each game regardless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GARY NEAl when he got subbed it, 2 quick plays for him to get him started, both missed shots...i nearly gave up when we were down and we didnt need these boneheaded plays....

i agree he needs shots to get going, but damn he was really good tonight...he made a poster

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan might be looking at a Western Conference Player of the Week berth following this morning's game against Denver and his 7 block outing against Milwaukee the night before. If he can play solidly against Memphis it'll be a really nice stretch.

Gary Neal has been absolutely phenomenal for us. While he doesn't always have the size, speed, quickness, skill or whatever to handle the current opponent, he always goes in there and gives EVERYTHING to the mission. Whether its unrelenting effort on defense, rebounds, nifty assists or just scrappy hustle plays, the guy is all heart and doesn't . Plus, hes got a shooter's mentality with an in between game to boot. I was hopeful, but unconvinced, heading into Summer League, but now I'm just terribly happy.

George Hill, George Hill, where for art thou George Hill? Seriously, wake up man.
    I think I heard something about Hill hurting his big toe or something like that which would explain his passiveness....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RJ is usually right there with Tony leading the fast break. He's a good rebounder but it seems like Pop would rather have him down the floor on a missed shot, than have him in the paint fighting for boards. And it seems to be a good strategy, considering the Spurs are 4th in the NBA right now in fast break points per game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love mornings like this when I can get up, fix a cup of coffee and read all the usual sources (espn/fox/SI) then come here to savor an outstanding victory. I dont think the Spurs were expected to pull that one off. Duncan was just great throughout, Manu won the game at the end, thats for sure but I want to make sure Tony doesnt get shortchanged here. He did an outstanding job earlier that kept the Spurs in it and without his efforts this game wouldnt have been close. There is a great article (ESPN I think) that discusses today that with Tony doing all the heavy lifting in the first three quarters that allows Manu to be fresh in the 4th to come out with his acrobatic heroics. Just sayin Tony had a of a game last night.

Thread Information