Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @alanhahn
    Alan Hahn
    From what I understand, there is no actual trade for a first. There are scenarios in which the Knicks know they can get one if they need to.
    CIA Pop....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll see what my man Trill Clinton has to say about this..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll see what my man Trill Clinton has to say about this..
    Get on it now!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, I'm not very high on the Spurs giving the Knicks a first rounder for Chandler. I like Chandler but he wouldn't be a very good fit. He's not much of an outside shooter and scores in situations he wouldn't get on the Spurs (isos, fast breaks, hanging around the basket). Slice his scoring opportunities and is he really worth a first round pick? He'd have to become a much better defender.

If the Spurs would have let RJ and/or Bonner walk, I'd be all for it. With those two in the fold for the foreseeable future, where are the minutes? He's a quan y over quality type player. Without the skillset to play a specific role in the Spurs system, I'm afraid it'd just be another RJ-esque awkward fit.

Spurs fan at Princeton Ginobili2Duncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted Corey Brewer and Ebanks a month ago. If the Spurs acquire Chandler I would be a happy camper.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are so many guys I've barely heard of who are good -- this is just one more.

Do the Spurs see some Bowen in this guy?

Do the Knicks see the Spurs demise creating value in their 2011 1st round pick?

Does anyone see anything in Matt Bonner?

Chandler for Bonner would just cement the Knicks as one of the worst organizations of all time. Too good to be true.

I'd do the 1st round deal in a heartbeat. The future is now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, I'm not very high on the Spurs giving the Knicks a first rounder for Chandler. I like Chandler but he wouldn't be a very good fit. He's not much of an outside shooter and scores in situations he wouldn't get on the Spurs (isos, fast breaks, hanging around the basket). Slice his scoring opportunities and is he really worth a first round pick? He'd have to become a much better defender.

If the Spurs would have let RJ and/or Bonner walk, I'd be all for it. With those two in the fold for the foreseeable future, where are the minutes? He's a quan y over quality type player. Without the skillset to play a specific role in the Spurs system, I'm afraid it'd just be another RJ-esque awkward fit.
    Maybe they think they can mold him into a defensive force?

Spurs fan at Princeton Ginobili2Duncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He is only 23. He also has outstanding potential as a defender and he will add athleticism on the perimeter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it doesn't matter until he puts it together, but there are not many players in the league with the defensive potential of Chandler.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is only 23. He also has outstanding potential as a defender and he will add athleticism on the perimeter.
    Athleticism for sure. Can you imagine a small-ball unit of TP, Hill, Manu/RJ, Chandler, and TD?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big fan of Chandler. Won't believe it til I see it though.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The big difference in the RJ comparison is that Chandler is young and has tons of untapped potential. He has already shown that his can play in this league now he just needs some molding. If one looks at this move in the present, then sure, he looks like an awkward fit. But in regards to the fast approaching post-Duncan era, this is a solid move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love the spurs to get martell webster instead for a 1st rounder

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I the only one who thinks the Knicks can't wait to dump Wilson Chandler for anything? He is on the last year of his rookie contract, will get overpaid. The Knicks would not want to match because they want cap space for 2011 and 2012. They already have Danilo Gallinari playing his position. Wilson Chandler is the odd man out in the Knicks rotation. He doesn't fit the Knicks system because his 3 point shot sucks. Yes, he is cheap this year, but he will cost a lot more in the future. If the Knicks are getting Carmelo Anthony, all the more reason to trade Wilson Chandler now, they can't wait to dump him.

On a basketball viewpoint, all this is good for the Spurs because he is a legit backup 3, and sometimes 2. However, from a financial standpoint, as I have stated, he is up for a new contract. If the Spurs are not willing to commit to him on a long term basis, they are just swapping their first round pick for a one year rental. Yes, although the pick will be a late pick, last I checked from my research, there will be a bunch of SFs waiting to be picked in the 1st round. A 1st round pick can be traded, with packaged with someone else for someone who could or is better than Wilson Chandler, if the Spurs are not willing to commit to a middling player like Wilson Chandler.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs first round pick would be a crap shot at best anyways outside of the lottery. The Spurs have to get someone with legit size/defensive potential for the perimeter. Chandler, while not a glowing offensive player, can do offensively what RJ can with a much, much higher ceiling on defense for just a fraction of the cost.

You can't pass up on a deal like this imo just because of RJ's contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The interest in Chandler does make a lot of sense. From reading the various quotes from both Pop and RC, coming out of the first days of camp, it seems they are " bent" on finding a young SF who can defend. The options they have now don't seem too tantalizing.

RJ seems to have lead feet, poor defensive fundamentals and declining athleticism. Gee, while a keeper for the future, has yet to prove he can defend and is probably a year away from cracking the regular rotation. Simmons is in mid-career and, as a defender, is a virtual unknown. He certainly isn't a lock to make the team. Gist is an unproven enigma and is also probably a year away - if he makes the team at all.

All that said, I can certainly understand why they'd be hot after Chandler Sure he doesn't spread the floor with his shooting, but he's young and could still develop in that area.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this gonna go down tonight or is this an option the knicks are only reviewing if the thuggets are to trade melo to them?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this gonna go down tonight or is this an option the knicks are only reviewing if the thuggets are to trade melo to them?
    IMO, it will either take days or never even happen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I the only one who thinks the Knicks can't wait to dump Wilson Chandler for anything? He is on the last year of his rookie contract, will get overpaid. The Knicks would not want to match because they want cap space for 2011 and 2012. They already have Danilo Gallinari playing his position. Wilson Chandler is the odd man out in the Knicks rotation. He doesn't fit the Knicks system because his 3 point shot sucks. Yes, he is cheap this year, but he will cost a lot more in the future. If the Knicks are getting Carmelo Anthony, all the more reason to trade Wilson Chandler now, they can't wait to dump him.

On a basketball viewpoint, all this is good for the Spurs because he is a legit backup 3, and sometimes 2. However, from a financial standpoint, as I have stated, he is up for a new contract. If the Spurs are not willing to commit to him on a long term basis, they are just swapping their first round pick for a one year rental. Yes, although the pick will be a late pick, last I checked from my research, there will be a bunch of SFs waiting to be picked in the 1st round. A 1st round pick can be traded, with packaged with someone else for someone who could or is better than Wilson Chandler, if the Spurs are not willing to commit to a middling player like Wilson Chandler.
    No, you're not the only one.

He'd get overpaid if he spent another season playing 33 mpg and being one of the three best players on a joke team. But he wouldn't be playing that much or be that on the Spurs, meaning they could probably get him re-signed at a reasonable number, particularly with the new CBA on the way.

Chandler is not a two. He's a three/four. The Knicks had used him a lot at two in recent seasons because they didn't have a better option.

Can't see the Spurs doing that. If this deal went down, they'd presumably view him as a long term answer to their backup three/small ball four/defensive stopper question marks. Potentially in a few years time, if he's clear cut better than Jefferson, he could even become the starter. He may not be a great fit offensively, but he's a better option than Simmons/Gee and he fits with getting younger and more athletic, while at the same time being capable of helping now, unlike some SF prospect in next year's draft (chances are they Spurs wouldn't be able to get a better SF prospect picking in the 20s than Chandler). Also, he'd give the Spurs one quality prospect at every position.

If this were a three team trade and the Knicks acquired Anthony, the Spurs would be taking quite possibly their biggest threat to losing Parker out of the mix for his services.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How long has he been in the NBA?
    Drafted in 2007.

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    It's scary how much of a stronger Ariza clone WC is. They even have close to the same number of games player through 3 seasons.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reading Chief's post about Will's potential long-term prospects just reminded me of the contract Jefferson received ..if the Spurs got Chandler, the Jefferson deal looks even worse..

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How valuable would that expiring contract have been...

The upside is if the Spurs do something like that, they're building a pretty solid team and can possibly entice Parker to stay around. Sort of ironic if one of those pieces comes from New York.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reading Chief's post about Will's potential long-term prospects just reminded me of the contract Jefferson received ..if the Spurs got Chandler, the Jefferson deal looks even worse..

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see it now....

Spurs get Chandler for a 1st

Chandler shows some potential

Spurs try to re-sign him

He signs an offer sheet with another team that the Spurs don't match

RJ chuckles, while counting the 9.2 million he will make that season

Thread Information