Page 4 of 161 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did you want to do for dinner?
    Eat whatever the wife has time to cook, the usual.

??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I meant to type that into my email to Jekka. Gmail fail.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want to understand the science a bit better I recommend David Archer's books. The Long Thaw is very basic and although I've yet to read his latest work I believe it is equally accessible. I doubt you need something super accessible but since you like to torture yourself and argue this on this forum you may like some of the plain English explanations.
    Noted and bookmarked.

I will add it to my book que.

By the by, if you ever get into an evolution debate there is an equally good book I just finished, "Why Evolution is True" by Jerry Coyne.

Equally good plain language bit on a different topic.

I do understand the science fairly well, but prefer not to get bogged down in arguing the minutae, when the real issues don't require it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, a scientist would, at that point, pose a theory, which then would be scrutinized by his/her peers.

But onto the topic at hand, I think it's very important to understand the scope of the problem domain. We're obviously talking mostly statistics and probability at this time when it comes to this topic simply because the problem domain is incredibly large (I would say it's realistically intractable with the current dataset, the quality of it and what we really know and don't know that affects climate).

I personally don't discard a connection to man, as I wouldn't discard some explanation from a burst of gamma rays from two stars colliding 200 years ago, far far away.

I just don't think we've enough information to make informed decisions about this topic yet. I think as we go along, and more scientists pose more theories on the subject, and back it up with more data, and some other scientists debunk those theories and pose their own, and we get a better understanding of the problem domain, we're going to eventually reach some workable, usable information.

To me, the worst part is to see the natural scientific process being bas ized with political mud (from both ends), instead of letting it evolve as it should. It actually hinders advancement in this very interesting field.
    I would generally agree with this, but it seems that the people who study it most seem to be generally a bit more sure about the probability that we are affecting our climate.

The only thing we are really unsure of, is the ultimate effect of that. There is a chance that it could be really, really bad.

We have enough information to formulate some reasonable courses of action to forstall the worst of the potential outcomes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would suggest you take to heart that the peer review process is only valid, when those who oppose your position agree your methodology and science are valid. It appears to me all you have is like minded people slapping each other on the back. They have ruined the intent of the peer review process.

Tell me. How many peer reviewed papers dealing with AGW have been reviewed by skeptics, and have them agreeing the science is sound?
    The defintion of "peer-review" is to submit something to a group of people who apply some modi of skepticism to the paper in order to vet any potentially fatal flaws, and to see if the conclusion is reasonably supported by the evidence suggested.

The answer would therefore be: "all of them".

Where we will disagree though, is in the definition of "skeptic". You want a process as stilted towards your viewpoint, as you perceive the current process to be stilted against it. That is not, to me, science.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was an interesting read. I wonder if RG thinks this guy is a pseudoscientist?
    I pointed out that the gentleman seems to bear some of the charactoristics.

Perhaps you would be willing to answer the question posed of Yoni.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not many. How many people have access to the raw data?
    I do not know the answer to that question.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    No, I have not.

I am of the opinion, based on what a rather large majority of scientists who study the issue say, that it is more likely than not that we are affecting our climate though emissions of greenhouse gases, with CO2 principal among them.
    Yes, we are affecting our planet with CO2. Nobody denies that. The denial is to the level that the AGW crowd claims. For me, and what I do understand of the sciences, black carbon on ice has cause more warming than CO2 has. I rate the forces as:

1) Solar variations

2) Soot

3) CO2

I hold this opinion, because the experts in the field hold this opinion. Not having a PhD in climate science, I defer to their expertise.
    And there are planty with PHD's in Climatology that disagree with them.
    Further, when I have actually looked into the claims of many skeptics, I have found flawed science, bad logic, and, to the point of the OP, a lot of red flags that indicate to me that the entire movement to discredit this theory is being driven by what I think of as pseudo-science.
    Yet you ignore the same flaws in AGW sciences.
    I must weigh evidence, claims, and credibility. The balance of that favors AGW, it seems.
    We disagree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I would point out that our understanding of the earth's climate has advanced by huge strides in the last 40 years.

2010 is not 1970.

Well, there was a 30 year cooling trend from the 1940's to 1970's. Do we understand that better than they did in 1970?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He made a fair point. Your post was simply regarding the shrinking snowcap in one place, but that did not address a prediction of "doom and gloom".

Good science makes predictions.

Most of the predictions about climate change concern rises in ocean level, and things like "hurricanes will become both more numerous and powerful".

To adequately address his statement you would have to supply something where a prediction had actually come to fruition.

I would point out that our understanding of the earth's climate has advanced by huge strides in the last 40 years.

2010 is not 1970.

The problem with such statements as his, is that our understanding of the system gets better each year, and if the sum of that understanding leads to fairly conclusive statements, even if not certain, then current statements would have a bit more validity than something said of the earth's probable future climate in 1970, such as the "big freeze" trotted out often.
    To be quite frank, Climate science hasn't change all that much. The first predictions of what rising CO2 levels would do are over 100 years old. The fundamentals of climate science has been in place for quite some time and they are not really debatable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, there was a 30 year cooling trend from the 1940's to 1970's. Do we understand that better than they did in 1970?
    Yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do we understand it better?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, scientists do this thing called science where they investigate and figure things out. The temperature of the 1940-70s have a very simple and logical explanation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, scientists do this thing called science where they investigate and figure things out. The temperature of the 1940-70s have a very simple and logical explanation.

What would that be? CO2 rose dramatically during that period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, I believe we do understand our climate better than we did in 1970.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would assign the main swing as being from normal variance in climate, caused by a variety of factors and their interaction.

The more pertinent question:

How would that period have been different, had we not been emitting geometrically increasing amounts of GHG?

That is the real question. Most climate scientists would posit:

Mildly different, probably slightly cooler.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, in actuality CO2 didn't rise nearly as dramatically during that time period as it has since. It went from 310ppm to 320ppm over those 30 years for an increase of roughly 10ppm. To give you perspective, in the 40 years since its risen roughly 60ppm to 380.

So, right off the bat you can see that CO2 concentrations still did not rise as dramatically as they have.

Now, that being said, all things being equal you should obviously still see an increase in temp. The operating factor here is that all things were not equal. We saw an increase in airborne aerosols from 2 sources: Industry and volcanism. Industrial aerosols have since been regulated due to their effects on our environment and volcanic aerosols are not at the level they once were. Reduction in these aerosols has lessened their ability to cool the planet.

Understand?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, a way to verify this theory is to take a look at average minimum temperature. While aerosol blocking of sunlight affected the average high temperature showing a cooling affect, the increase in CO2 in the atmosphere managed to have still warm the temperature at night and during that cooling period the average minimum temperature still showed an increase.

While the aerosols limited the amount of sun light and thus maximum heating the CO2 still managed to trap more infrared energy than before that period which led to the increase in average minimum temperature through the same period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever the peer-review process' flaws are, it is still how science is conducted.

From rational wiki's website.
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Pseudoscience
    Lack of peer review, and claims of vast establishment conspiracies

One of the single most important aspects of true science is replication and verification, particularly from third parties not involved in the original experiments. This is the heart of peer review, where new ideas are laid out before fellow scientists with all the details of how to replicate and extend the research. While the social dynamics of peer review are not foolproof, and many interesting issues can emerge, there is still nothing better for advancing human knowledge. It is, of course, not surprising that people who promote pseudoscience want to avoid peer review like a plague.

If an idea has not been published in a single peer review journal, it is safe to say it is not science. Most people have at least a passing knowledge of the peer review system and so pseudoscience promoters often have to offer hand-wavy explanations for why their ideas have not been published anywhere.

In medicine it is common to blame Big Pharma for wanting to hide the fact that some natural product cures all known illnesses because it will hurt their profits - despite the fact that such a thing would generate more profit, and Big Pharma would be dying to get their hands on it!

In biology creationists often claim that evolution is propped up by a vast atheist and materialist conspiracy, as if every PhD student ended their final viva with their supervisor taking them to one side for "a little chat". This "big conspiracy" is perhaps the most common tactic, but more imaginative excuses do exist; such as Jason Lisle claiming that his theory on how to solve the starlight problem doesn't need to pass through the peer review system of major science journals because you wouldn't expect evolutionist papers to pass through creationist journals.

When pseudosciences are published, they are often published in pseudo-journals, those that have "peer review" but are less rigorous than one would expect of the scientific mainstream. Pseudoscience promoters will sometimes start their own journals that are "reviewed", of course, by fellow promoters.

These journals are often easily identified by their poor standards for inclusion, or their lack of inclusion in scholarly indexes such as ISI Web of Knowledge and Google Scholar. One of the most obvious characteristics of pseudo-peer review is a total lack of interest in replicating or verifying the "work" of others in the field.
    I have rather directly viewed the source journals for a number of your quoted sources.

All of them tend to have rather uncritical reviews of material that I was able to discern. They seemed to fit the pattern here fairly well.

As I said before, I don't think you would be satisfied with any peer-review, unless it was outright stilted towards your established beliefs. That does not strike me as science.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For me, and what I do understand of the sciences, black carbon on ice has cause more warming than CO2 has.
    If that were the case, then the northern polar region would eperience a drastically warmer climate change than the southern one, simply due to the pattern of our burning of carbon.

Is that the case?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soot on snow and ice definitely has a higher forcing than CO2 all things being equal. All things are not equal, however, and the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere gives it a much larger effect.

I'll put it to you this way: I have 2 types of fire. One burns at 100 degrees and the other at 150. However, I have 10 times as many fires of the 100 degree variety.

The numbers used in my analogy are arbitrary and only meant to convey the principle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would also like to point out Soot and CO2 emissions have the same sources.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soot on snow and ice definitely has a higher forcing than CO2 all things being equal. All things are not equal, however, and the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere gives it a much larger effect.

I'll put it to you this way: I have 2 types of fire. One burns at 100 degrees and the other at 150. However, I have 10 times as many fires of the 100 degree variety.

The numbers used in my analogy are arbitrary and only meant to convey the principle.
    Oddly enough, I have been reviewing rationalwiki on a number of areas.

Seems like my coinage of "denier" has already been taken.
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Denialism

Looks like I am not alone in reaching my conclusions about this. Hmm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oddly enough, I have been reviewing rationalwiki on a number of areas.

Seems like my coinage of "denier" has already been taken.
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Denialism

Looks like I am not alone in reaching my conclusions about this. Hmm.

That website is extremely biased and you would do well not to site it.

Check out their entry on "ClimateGate".

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Climategate

Climategate is the most common term that the media and blogosphere gave to to a controversy that followed the November 2009 release of thousands of illegally-obtained e-mails from the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia. Global warming denialists immediately pounced on the story, claiming that much of the data supporting the existence of global warming were fabricated. The media quoted many of the e-mails[1] out of context.[2] (A big scientific project causes people to curse, disagree and sigh. Who knew?)

Thread Information