Page 5 of 161 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, no reply to what I posted above Darrin? How did your out of context bit of information hold up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That website is extremely biased and you would do well not to site it.

Check out their entry on "ClimateGate".

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Climategate
    We have to have some working definition of pseudoscience.

That you are uncomfortable having one of your more cherished beliefs rightfully lumped in with "moon landing hoax" believers or creationists is not my concern.

I am here to draw parallels, and it is becoming an easier case to make as time goes by.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, no reply to what I posted above Darrin? How did your out of context bit of information hold up?
    Duh, we need to start polluting the out of the air with particulate matter again so we can accelerate global dimming (and the destruction of the ozone layer over the polar ice caps).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duh, we need to start polluting the out of the air with particulate matter again so we can accelerate global dimming (and the destruction of the ozone layer over the polar ice caps).
    Probably wouldn't even matter at this point. CO2's concentration is growing so fast now that it would likely overcome the same type of negative forcing those aerosols caused 70 years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I told myself I wasn't going to get involved in this thread and I just couldn't help it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I told myself I wasn't going to get involved in this thread and I just couldn't help it
    S'all good. If it weren't this thread, it would have been one of WC's...

I rather like the le of this one better.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Whatever the peer-review process' flaws are, it is still how science is conducted.

From rational wiki's website.
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Pseudoscience
    When pseudosciences are published, they are often published in pseudo-journals, those that have "peer review" but are less rigorous than one would expect of the scientific mainstream. Pseudoscience promoters will sometimes start their own journals that are "reviewed", of course, by fellow promoters.
    This is exactly what AGW crowd does. Only those who already agree with them are doing the peer reviewing.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Soot on snow and ice definitely has a higher forcing than CO2 all things being equal. All things are not equal, however, and the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere gives it a much larger effect.

I'll put it to you this way: I have 2 types of fire. One burns at 100 degrees and the other at 150. However, I have 10 times as many fires of the 100 degree variety.

The numbers used in my analogy are arbitrary and only meant to convey the principle.
    You should stop pulling of of a donkey's ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should stop pulling of of a donkey's ass.
    Feel free to prove that soot on ice and snow has a larger forcing effect than CO2 overall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The main piece of scientific literature regarding soot's climate forcing is the study done by Hansen in 2004.

Here is his abstract:

Plausible estimates for the effect of soot on snow and ice albedos (1.5% in the Arctic and 3% in Northern Hemisphere land areas) yield a climate forcing of +0.3 W/m2 in the Northern Hemisphere. The “efficacy” of this forcing is ∼2, i.e., for a given forcing it is twice as effective as CO2 in altering global surface air temperature. This indirect soot forcing may have contributed to global warming of the past century, including the trend toward early springs in the Northern Hemisphere, thinning Arctic sea ice, and melting land ice and permafrost. If, as we suggest, melting ice and sea level rise define the level of dangerous anthropogenic interference with the climate system, then reducing soot emissions, thus restoring snow albedos to pristine high values, would have the double benefit of reducing global warming and raising the global temperature level at which dangerous anthropogenic interference occurs. However, soot contributions to climate change do not alter the conclusion that anthropogenic greenhouse gases have been the main cause of recent global warming and will be the predominant climate forcing in the future.
    You can find the study through JSTOR by searching for it by name: Soot Climate Forcing via Snow and Ice Albedos

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whereas forest fires contribute to the problem—the effect noticeably worsens in years with widespread boreal wildfires—roughly 80 percent of polar soot can be traced to human burning, adding as much as 0.054 watt of energy per square meter of Arctic land, according to the research published this week in the Journal of Geophysical Research.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...he-driven-snow

Now, that article mentions the W/M2 of this particular forcing at 0.054. CO2 Forcing is at about 2 W/M2.

Its not even close.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Feel free to prove that soot on ice and snow has a larger forcing effect than CO2 overall.
    The IPCC has recently acknowledged that black carbon forcing is about 4 times what it was previously thought to be, after revising the estimate upward two more times since the AR4. I cannot prove that CO2 is less than what they say, but what forcing would you reduce to balance the end results of their equation? Solar forcing is obviously higher than they say also. They correctly assign it a 0.12 (+/- small error) for "direct" forcing. They however never address the indirect forcing that gets amplified in the greenhouse effect. Instead, they allow it to be counted as greenhouse gas forcing. Therefore, we can reduce greenhouse effect forcing by at least another 0.4 watts/sq meter. The calculated numbers using the NASA greenhouse effect model come to an additional 0.81 watts seen in the greenhouse gas effect at a 0.18% solar increase, for a total of a 0.93 increase for the solar variation alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I cannot prove that CO2 is less than what they say, but what forcing would you reduce to balance the end results of their equation? Solar forcing is obviously higher than they say also.

Who's pulling what out of what?

You can't prove what you say - admittedly so - yet we're supposed to take it as fact. It seems to be a trend with what you post.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    The main piece of scientific literature regarding soot's climate forcing is the study done by Hansen in 2004.

Here is his abstract:

You can find the study through JSTOR by searching for it by name: Soot Climate Forcing via Snow and Ice Albedos
    Yes, i have read various works on the topic. Some time ago, I did link an article that showed revised IPCC estimates. This is work that supersedes Hanson's conclusions. That said, I never trust Hanson's research anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, i have read various works on the topic. Some time ago, I did link an article that showed revised IPCC estimates. This is work that supersedes Hanson's conclusions. That said, I never trust Hanson's research anyway.
    Good because I'm talking about Hansen's research. Would you care to elaborate on why you do not trust him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To go back to my fire analogy, if the Temp of the one fire was 160 instead of 150 but you still had 10 fires burning at 100 degrees the end equation doesn't need to be adjusted very much. Thats the point. Although they've adjusted the soot upwards quite a bit it makes up such a small percentage of the overall forcing that it isn't a huge factor.

So, unless you can prove what you're trying to say maybe you shouldn't accuse me of pulling anything out of any asses.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Here is an article that is a sample of why the IPCC revised black carbon upward from 0.1 w/sq m:

Interactive comment on “Quantifying immediate radiative forcing by black carbon and organic matter with the Specific Forcing Pulse” by T. C. Bond et al.

Part of the article:

B2010,s estimate is based on the NCAR general circulation model (GCM) (version CAM3). They have revised the model and obtained a BC forcing of 0.51 Wm−2 for 2000 BC level (we denote this by BCT for BC total); from which they derive an anthropogenic (since 1750) BC forcing (denoted as BCA for BC anthropogenic) of 0.43 Wm−2 by subtracting an assumed forcing of 0.08 Wm−2 for the pre-industrial forcing. The estimate for BCA includes 0.38 Wm−2 due to atmospheric solar absorption and 0.05 Wm−2 due to increased absorption by the cryosphere (resulting from darkening of snow and ice by BC).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, even if Soot were a greater factor, as I pointed out above, it comes from the same processes that generate CO2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does this counteract what I've said?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    To go back to my fire analogy, if the Temp of the one fire was 160 instead of 150 but you still had 10 fires burning at 100 degrees the end equation doesn't need to be adjusted very much. Thats the point. Although they've adjusted the soot upwards quite a bit it makes up such a small percentage of the overall forcing that it isn't a huge factor.

So, unless you can prove what you're trying to say maybe you shouldn't accuse me of pulling anything out of any asses.
    This analogy doesn't apply. the figures are global for the material I go by, not regional.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Good because I'm talking about Hansen's research. Would you care to elaborate on why you do not trust him?
    Hanson has been proven wrong several times and chastised by NASA for using altered data.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet, the global numbers you provide do not come close to exceeding CO2 even though BC soot has a higher forcing value than CO2. Why do you think that is, WC? Because my analogy applies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hanson has been proven wrong several times and chastised by NASA for using altered data.
    Links?

BTW, you should attack the paper if you have problems with it and not the scientist. If he's performing bad science it should be readily apparent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get you. You claim Soot has the highest global forcing yet you readily admit that you can't prove the CO2 forcing levels are wrong.

That is some amazing conformation bias if I've ever seen it. When you are changing parts do you continue to slam a square part into a round hole?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Yet, the global numbers you provide do not come close to exceeding CO2 even though BC soot has a higher forcing value than CO2. Why do you think that is, WC? Because my analogy applies.
    Well, assume we remove both the revised solar forcing from the assumed primary greenhouse gas levels. We have an additional 0.81 watts of solar an an additional 0.33 watts of soot, for a total of 1.24 watts. We have to remove this from some other item that causes forcing. Few people disagree that total forcing by the IPCC estimates are wrong. This estimate is 1.6 watts, with CO2 at 1.66 watts, and 0.98 watts for the other three listed. This is a total of 2.64 watts. Removing 1.24 watts makes this 1.4 watts. This figure is only 53% of the original estimates. 53% of the CO2 would be 0.88 watts. Now I do disagree with this figure, but that is how this math example pans out.

Point is, no matter how you slice it, the IPCC numbers for greenhouse gasses are highly suspect.

Thread Information