Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have a logjam at the SG. Neal, Anderson, Ginobili, and Hill all play best at SG. For the sake of team chemistry, something has got to give.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have a logjam at the SG. Neal, Anderson, Ginobili, and Hill all play best at SG. For the sake of team chemistry, something has got to give.
    I might actually dispute that... When Manu is at his best, he is dominating the ball and running the offense. In other words, playing point; it's why we sometimes see him and Tony having trouble playing together. But at that point, you need a scorer/defender at PG beside him...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya, I really do not see a big problem either..JA can and well play the sf position in the NBA. If JA comes back strong this should actually cut back minutes of Manu more than anyone since he occasionaly had to slide over to the 3 spot. Manu needs to be played TD minutes in the coming season (<30 mpg) in my opinion to help keep him fresh and I think JA is just the player to spell him those minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A logjam at the SG position isn't necessarily a bad thing given Manus health record.. especially after national play. Very unlikely Manu makes it through an entire season again for the remainder of his career.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's highly likely one of them will be traded. If I had to guess right now...I'd say Hill. He's got the most appeal and could bring back the best return. What I don't want to see is any more players that need shoes to reach 6'5 trying to play SF for this team.

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    It's highly likely one of them will be traded. If I had to guess right now...I'd say Hill. He's got the most appeal and could bring back the best return. What I don't want to see is any more players that need shoes to reach 6'5 trying to play SF for this team.
    JA does NOT need shoes to hit 6'5". He's also got a solid enough build to defend the 3. That's where Pop was using him effectively until his stress fracture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6-5 SFs are a defensive liability in this league. Can't defend the post or stop 6-9 SFs from shooting over the top. Most SFs do not need to put the ball on the floor to be effective which eliminates the only defensive asset a player like Anderson would have at SF. Anderson is a pure SG. Trying to play him elsewhere is like trying to play Bonner at center or Mason at point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JA does NOT need shoes to hit 6'5".
    orly?

Height w/o shoes: 6' 4.75"

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...06/playerblog/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think JA is probably a better fit at SF because of his ball handling abilities. I think he's more of a defensive liability though at the SF position. If we had a twin towers thing going, it'd be less of an issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6-5 SFs are a defensive liability in this league. Can't defend the post or stop 6-9 SFs from shooting over the top. Most SFs do not need to put the ball on the floor to be effective which eliminates the only defensive asset a player like Anderson would have at SF. Anderson is a pure SG. Trying to play him elsewhere is like trying to play Bonner at center or Mason at point.
    Amen brother - I have no idea why so many people think he's a SF. He played SG at Ok St, his style of game is COMPLETELY SG and he's too short to play SF.

De'Sean Butler, given he recovers from his injury, might be a stretch at SF but his game is completely SG as well. There is absolutely no SF type play in his game at all.

Magic Johson was 6'9" but was a PG. So was Jalen Rose. Your height does not determine your position...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson is a SG and he should play SG.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think until his ball handling improves, he's not a SG in the nba.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think until his ball handling improves, he's not a SG in the nba.
    Hmmm...since when did SGs need to be adept ball handlers?

Let me run it down for you - PG handle the ball, penetrate and distribute. Good ones have a mid-range game as well as being able to finish at the rim (think TP or Monte Ellis). Great ones stretch the floor as a 3pt threat to accompany all the things good ones do (think Chris Paul or Deron Williams).

SGs typically are utilized in a catch and shoot fashion. They start along the baseline in the 1/2 court offense and run around 2-3 picks to a spot where they like the ball, catch and shoot. Good SGs can do this well (think Kyle Korver or Ray Allen). Great SGs can do that AND drive to the hole, post up smaller players and finish above the rim (think younger Ginobili or Brandon Roy).

Now, Anderson is the latter, not the former - no need to really be a ball handler.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd stick Korver more as a SF than SG.

Ray allen can and does handle the ball.

JA doesn't need to be a great ball handler. But he lost the ball way too often last year while dribbling. He has too much tallent to just be a pick and pop shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @Imbebo, I guess we just differ in opinion. But, Korver, although being listed as a guard-forward, was used as primarily as a SG both at Utah and Chicago. He played SF sparingly in smaller lineups.

Ray Allen rarely brings the ball up the court and calls the offensive plays. In fact, he rarely drives to the hoop - he is the quintesential pick and pop shooter. You don't become the league leader in 3pt shots made and attempted by driving to the hole. And, if he can have as successful career as he's had being a shooter, why in the world would JA be "too good" of a player to just do that?
    Last edited by Tyrone Jenkins; 06-19-2011 at 10:45 PM.

I Make Love To Pressure MR.SILVER&BLack's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    until butler is ready to play JA playing backup sf is not a horrible idea. parker, manu, hill, and neal are gonna take all of the playing time at PG and SG. how is anderson gonna get the much need playing time and experience? this would only be till manu retires.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not saying they aren't pick and pop players, but they are capable of handling the ball (at least allen).

Differ in opinion, yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @Imbebo, copy all. Not a bad point....

@MrS&B, I think Anderson should start next year. Staring lineup of:

Parker
    Anderson
    #29 pick
    Splitter
    Duncan

Manu was better in his 6th man role than he is starting. Anderson would get playing time that way and would be great for defending Kobe, Affalo, Stevenson, Mayo, etc. Put him out there and let him play.

Four years from now, the Spurs will be better for it.

Blaaaah
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither Duncan (too old and not mobile enough) or Splitter (Center skillset) are PF, even though Splitter might be able defend on modern PFs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The difference between a PF and C isn't mobility or speed - it's the type of game. PFs typically have both back to the basket and facing the basket skills (which Tim clearly has). Good PFs have a midrange game out to at least 15'. Great PFs are nimble enough to defend either the PF or C position due to length. Elite PFs can do all these things well as well as rebound and possess a SUPERB low post (back to the basket) game like TD, Karl Malone, Garnett, McHale, etc.

TD has always been a PF although he's used in Pop's system as a C at times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In theory, Spurs have until November 1st to pick up Anderson's option for 2012-2013. However, with the risk of the NBA still being locked out at that moment, a lot of teams are picking first round pick options right now.

Anderson salary for 2012-2013 would be $1.53M. Picking the option seems to be a no-brainer for Spurs and I expect them to do it before the end of the month.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed.

As far as the role players go, Anderson is the one I'm most exicited about this season. He came in last year as a rookie and looked very comfortable right off the bat before he got injured. I look for him to play an expanded role this year and I think he will be suprisingly productive...somewhere in the 12 to 14ppg area.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't wait to see Anderson play too.

He looked really good last year and he would have been a major role player had he never gotten hurt. I hope the Spurs start him at SG this year to give Manu some rest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hes Really gonna surprise some haters next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he starts this year, and Manu comes off the bench. As much as I love Neal, Anderson is way better, and athletic, and as good shooter.

Thread Information