Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rumor: Pistons may be shopping Tayshaun Prince to Hawks
    Kurt Helin

Interesting little note — like there always seems to be — in Sekou Smith’s Hangtime blog at NBA.com.

He heard the Pistons and Hawks were talking a trade: Tayshaun Prince and filler to Atlanta for Jamal Crawford and Jeff Teague.

This actual trade strikes me as not a great move for either side, but there are a few interesting things here.

One is that, as a scout friend of Smith point out, the Pistons need to do something.

“Detroit has to do something,” my scout friend told me. “They’re not going anywhere with the group they have. They know it and everyone else knows it. So Tayshaun or Rip, one or both of them have to be in play if they’re going to start the rebuilding process properly.”

The question really isn’t if they need to do something but when — with the team up for sale and serious talks with Mike Ilitch to take over, would a bold trade move really be likely? Maybe after the sale and closer to the deadline. Smith suggests after Dec. 15, when just signed guys like Will Bynum can be traded. But it may be later than that.

Another point — this trade shows the Hawks have to do something. They just set the families of Joe Johnson and Al Horford up for generations, yet they remain a good step back of the Heat, Celtics and Magic in the East. The Hawks have a small window to jump into the elite conversation with this core, but they’ll have to add to it.

Also, are the Hawks really ready to give up on Jeff Teague? Trading Teague and Crawford would leave the Hawks with Johnson, Mike Bibby and then it gets thin. Frankly, it gets thin with Bibby. The Hawks would still need to address backcourt issues after this move.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Not for Jamal Crawford they aren't.

Bullshit rumor.

“I'm only 41 and in great shape for my age.
    I don't think I've lost a beat at all.
    Because of my physique and my look,
    I fit in the natural action-hero role.”

My Playlist > Yours Pistons < Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    @Keith_Langlois

Rumors of Pistons-Hawks trade involving Bynum, Prince for Crawford, Teague. Am told it was never discussed.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    @Chris_Iott
    Pistons source says there have been no trade talks with Atlanta. No Tayshaun Prince. No Jamal Crawford. No Josh Smith. None. #Pistons #Hawks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see why ATL would do that move

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Tayshaun Prince and Will Bynum. Josh Smith, Jeff Teague and Jamal Crawford.

The Detroit Pistons do not appear close to swapping either of the first two players for any of the next three for one simple reason: No trade talks have taken place between the Detroit Pistons and Atlanta Hawks, according to a Pistons source.

The latest "rumor" -- that the Pistons could trade Prince and another player, possibly Bynum, for Teague and Crawford -- was floated in a column by Sekou Smith of NBA.com. He referred to it as "a great trade rumor" that he had heard.
    But according to the Pistons source, that rumor was based on nothing, just like the rumor that the Pistons could soon trade Prince to the Hawks for Smith. There have been no talks about that trade either, I am told.
    Of course, a Prince-Bynum for Crawford-Teague trade makes no sense, but I won't spend any time explaining why since that already has been done so well elsewhere.
    One other thing: Since the day of the sale of the Pistons to the Ilitch family is drawing very near, do not expect the Pistons to make any moves now anyway. No one is going to get traded. No one is going to get fired. No one is going to get their contract extended. Not until the sale is done.
    That is not information from a Pistons source, it is just common sense. Accountants and lawyers don't spend weeks studying the books and player contracts while analyzing the value of a franchise only to have a major move made at the last minute. Businesses going through sales simply stay the course until new owners come in and set a new one.
    In addition to that, pretend that Joe Dumars was ready to pull the trigger on a trade at this very moment. Whom would he have to call to get the trade approved? Karen Davidson? Mike Ilitch? Both of them?
    Of course, things can change. The completion of the sale might open up some options for Dumars. And the Pistons and Hawks could eventually make a trade.
    But it sounds like the next time the Pistons and Hawks talk about a trade this season will be the first time.
    http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.s...have_been.html

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Crawford and Teague? Let's do it; we're so damn thin at the guard spots...

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Helin's follow up.

Pistons deny they talked trade with Hawks
    Kurt Helin

Yesterday we reported the rumor that the Hawks and Pistons were talking about a deal that would have sent Tayshaun Prince to Atlanta for Jamaal Crawford and Jeff Teague. We also said that trade itself didn’t make a lot of sense.

Now the Pistons have denied such talks, according to MLive.com.

Which is smart, those specific talks were bad.

But as we said in the original post, what is of note here is that the Pistons are considering such a move. How fast something like that would happen in the middle of an ownership sale remains to be seen, but they are talking.

The other half of that is that the Hawks were talking, that they realize they need to do something if they are to challenge Miami, Boston and Orlando in the East. The roster as is won’t get it done.

Each Day Offers Potential Darrin's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    This has Rick Sund's stench all over it; I believe the Pistons. He did this with Maurice Taylor and Derek Anderson in 2000. The Pistons weren't close to a deal, but he leaked it to the papers that they were.

Thread Information