Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    just got myself a Maytag top load HE washer and it sucks so far.

-apparently you have to use only the HE type of detergent which limits your choices of brand/fragrance

-the lid locks during wash so I can only hope everything is working right

-you have to throw in the soap first, then the clothes then turn it on.
    I liked it better when I could turn the water on, throw in the soap to dissolve and bubble up and then the laundry

next time around, I'll be getting the top loader with the glass lid. I'm a little leary of every getting a front door loader because of the possibility of leaks.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Trinity Tigers
    We've had a Maytag Neptune (HE) front-loader for close to ten years and have never had a leak.

There are certainly more HE detergent choices than there used to be. You really need to keep an eye on prices and stock up when the stuff goes on sale, tho, because the price varies dramatically from week to week. I think you can get away with non-HE, but you have to use less since it foams more than the HE stuff.

As far as the lid locking, it's never been a concern for us.

With re the soap, HE machines operate differently, so the soap is inserted with the water. There's not enough water in the machine for the soap to 'bubble up'; that's what the HE is all about.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have this Samsung set http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3&blockType=L3 and I really like it. It hasn't had any leaks, but I was wary of a front loader because of my frequent need to run and toss one more thing in after the cycle has started; it has a way that I can do that without causing a flood.

And as far as the HE detergent and softener goes, it does require a little more effort to buy the correct stuff, but for me that means just making sure I don't run out and need to make a quickie trip to Walgreens or Valero for emergency detergent.

I really, really wanted one of those nice top loading sets (with the glass tops) to start with, but got talked into a stacking set because it fit in so well with my laundry room remodel. I don't regret changing my mind at all

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I have this Samsung set http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3&blockType=L3 and I really like it. It hasn't had any leaks, but I was wary of a front loader because of my frequent need to run and toss one more thing in after the cycle has started; it has a way that I can do that without causing a flood.
    That was another thing I was thinking.

how do you open it without water spilling out?

And as far as the HE detergent and softener goes, it does require a little more effort to buy the correct stuff, but for me that means just making sure I don't run out and need to make a quickie trip to Walgreens or Valero for emergency detergent.

I really, really wanted one of those nice top loading sets (with the glass tops) to start with, but got talked into a stacking set because it fit in so well with my laundry room remodel. I don't regret changing my mind at all
    you'd better not have any complaints about a $1400 washer

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That was another thing I was thinking.

how do you open it without water spilling out?
    Well I won't pretend to understand the real mechanics of it all, but first off, there just isn't that much water in there. You never see a water line; instead of the clothes moving around in a tub of water, it's the water that is in constant motion---kinda like having a shower as opposed to a tub bath. So as long as the water flow is cut off, there really isn't standing water. And the drum has a slight backwards tilt, so I suppose any remaining water would pool towards the back, away from the door.

But really, all I know is that if I push on the pause button until a little silhouette of a shirt lights up, everything in the machine stops, the door unlocks and I have a few seconds to toss something in before the door relocks and everything starts up again.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have the Samsung also -- a different model as I've had it for a few years and LOVE it. I love the Silvercare feature. I have no problems finding HE detergents. Love the dryer also.

Mine lets me add more close for about 30 seconds after starting (it hasn't filled with water yet) and then it locks for the cycle.

The downside is having to prop the door open when not using it so it doesn't get a funky smell. I just wedge something in there so it can dry out.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ah yes, the funky smell...I don't like propping the door open or wiping out the drum with a towel, but I've found if I can space out my bleached loads to one every 3 days, it really helps.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've had my Whirlpool HE Duet set (front-loading) for about 5 years & I love them. I've always done my bleached load last (once a week), and I've never had a problem with a funky smell.

You can always buy those things Tide sells now to clean out your HE washer.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't do that much bleaching--hence the door propping. I wedge a lint roller in there

Name
    Adam Rabel
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    St. Mary's Rattlers

-apparently you have to use only the HE type of detergent which limits your choices of brand/fragrance

I liked it better when I could turn the water on, throw in the soap to dissolve and bubble up and then the laundry

next time around, I'll be getting the top loader with the glass lid. I'm a little leary of every getting a front door loader because of the possibility of leaks.

Congrats on buying something you are clueless about.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Congrats on buying something you are clueless about.

I know how to turn it on which for me is enough.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

WTF??? are you washing clothes for? Your wife already leave? I dont touch the fricken washer or dryer. Be a man gottdayumit!!!!

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    i like how all the women rushed to this thread to tell everyone about how awesome their washing machine strategies are

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    This thread is gay.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    low efficiency > high efficiency

wasting = good

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    We have a good old fashioned low efficiency washer and dryer, and (this is for Mookie) the maid does the laundry so I don't worry about it.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My set was a gift from my brother ... when I begged him for his less-crappier-than-the-one-I-had dryer when he bought a new set. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd still be using it.

I'm the maid at my house, although I almost pee'd my pants when I came home the other day and my daughter was teaching my son how to wash a load of his clothes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Houston Rockets
    Ours kicks ass. Clothes never been cleaner. And when I take the clothes out of the dryer, wow, just wow.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    My set was a gift from my brother ... when I begged him for his less-crappier-than-the-one-I-had dryer when he bought a new set. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd still be using it.

I'm the maid at my house, although I almost pee'd my pants when I came home the other day and my daughter was teaching my son how to wash a load of his clothes.
    Your kids are definitely old enough to do their own laundry. I think I started doing my own laundry when I was eight.

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I've had a front loading Kenmore for 10 years now - I love it. Never had a leak. The only issue with it is the seal can collect moisture and grow mold. It's a problem easily solved by just leaving the door open after I do a load until it dries out.

Mine was made before they switched to the fancy electronic control panel - I've heard some people have had issues with the electronics going out on them.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Your kids are definitely old enough to do their own laundry. I think I started doing my own laundry when I was eight.
    My kids all do their own laundry. My 16 yr old has been doing his since he was 12. The other 2 were a bit later though.

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    Name
    mark h
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New York Knicks
    I have a Whirlpool Duet Sport Dryer and Sport HT washer, and I love them. I wear Sperry Topsiders, and never could get my footie socks clean until I got this washer. My feet seat so much I get like leather stains on the socks.

Mine has a "Clean" cycle where you can add bleach and run it to de-funk it, but I did it once (thinking I should) and didn't notice any better smell, because it really didn't smell after using it for months. I wipe down the glass door bubble, and the seal, and leave the door ajar.

Incidentally, you really need to use the HE detergent. Since they use less water, the water gets filthy, and the HE detergent is designed to convey the dirt out instead of leaving it in your wet clothes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I wear Sperry Topsiders, and never could get my footie socks clean until I got this washer.
    lmao

Thread Information