Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    To everyone who gives a , JMark is the baddest trigga on this site, and enyone who ever wuestions what he sais os a bag!

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Out.Right.Champs.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Yeah baby!

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    First PAC-10 le of the decade, let's get a half-dozen more while we're at it.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    "It isn't the first Championship and it Definitely won't be the last"

"I can't imagine it being any better anyplace else,"
    - Sean Miller

Post Count
    The PAC-10 really sucked this year. Only one ranked team and I can't remember a year where they got less primetime national tv coverage.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    The PAC-10 really sucked this year. Only one ranked team and I can't remember a year where they got less primetime national tv coverage.
    They sucked because everyone said they sucked. Arizona, USC and UCLA damn near beat Kansas, Oregon nearly beat Missouri, Washington nearly beat Texas A&M, and UCLA beat St. Johns and BYU, USC beat Texas and Tennessee, and assorted other Pac-10 programs beat assorted other non-Pac-10 ranked teams like Baylor, Gonzaga, Temple, etc...

It's certainly not the strongest it's been, but the conference doesn't suck.

It could easily be underrated by analysts who barely acknowledge the conference. I mean, middle-of-the-Pac teams beat several ranked teams. Arizona played only two all year, losing both, which sucks, but few teams in the country had the issues Arizona had, so what they've done from where they started the last two years is amazing. I don't expect anything monumental from such a young team, but a win or two could happen. I like Washington and UCLA to win a game or two each if they make it, and if USC makes the tourney, they have the defense and the size to make some noise ala St. Mary's last year.

My Team
    Oregon State Beavers
    Post Count
    They sucked because everyone said they sucked. Arizona, USC and UCLA damn near beat Kansas, Oregon nearly beat Missouri, Washington nearly beat Texas A&M, and UCLA beat St. Johns and BYU, USC beat Texas and Tennessee, and assorted other Pac-10 programs beat assorted other non-Pac-10 ranked teams like Baylor, Gonzaga, Temple, etc...

It's certainly not the strongest it's been, but the conference doesn't suck.

It could easily be underrated by analysts who barely acknowledge the conference. I mean, middle-of-the-Pac teams beat several ranked teams. Arizona played only two all year, losing both, which sucks, but few teams in the country had the issues Arizona had, so what they've done from where they started the last two years is amazing. I don't expect anything monumental from such a young team, but a win or two could happen. I like Washington and UCLA to win a game or two each if they make it, and if USC makes the tourney, they have the defense and the size to make some noise ala St. Mary's last year.
    I think Wazzu has a good team. If they could sneak into the tourney they could win a game or two as well.

My Team
    Purdue Boilermakers
    Post Count
    Try last year when the Pac-10 had no ranked teams and the only tournament bids came from regular season champion and tournament champion. The Pac-10 has next to no seniors leaving, and outside of Honeycutt and D-Will no underclassmen with a serious chance at going to the NBA. If both of them stick around, UA enters next season ranked top 15 (possibly top 10), UCLA enters next season ranked, Washington is still a tournament team, and USC + Wazu are both teams with a chance to become tournament teams.

The talk that the Pac-10 lost its basketball strength is ridiculous. From June 2008 - Jun 2009, all of the following happened:
    1) UCLA lost Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook, Darren Collison, and Mbah A Moute to the NBA and Josh Shipp to graduation.
    2) Arizona's hall of fame coach abruptly retired when everyone thought he was coming back to coach, which also led to UA losing several important recruits. They also lost two players to the NBA.
    3) Tim Floyd gets busted, USC loses all of its recruits and has to find someone to coach a program with a tarnished image.
    4) Stanford loses two top 15 pick 7 footers to the NBA. Not exactly something easy to replace.
    5) ASU loses the one player who's made them compe ive i recent years to the NBA.

When that many programs in the same conference go through that much change/turnover in the same year, a few years where the conference is weak and rebuilding is inevitable.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Two years ago, Arizona's roster had the potential to be...

PG: 5-Star (fr.), 3-Star (jr.)
    SG: 5-Star (so.), 3-Star (fr.), 3-Star (fr.)
    SF: 5-Star (jr.), 5-Star (so.), 3-Star (so.)
    PF: 4-Star (so.), 4-Star (fr.)
    C: 3-Star (jr.), 4-Star (fr.), 3-Star (so.)

That roster would have yielded three lottery picks, a late 1st and a current 2nd-rounder who's thriving. Two others have a chance to be drafted or on an NBA roster this draft (doubtful, though). Instead the 5-Star PG bolted to Europe, the 5-Star SG bolted for the NBA, and a 4-Star PF and the C each transferred out and the team still advanced to the Sweet-16 despite losing two lottery picks and two high potentialed frontcourt players.

That's just an example of one team. In 2008 I think more 1st rounders came from the Pac-10. Off the top of my head: Mayo, Westbrook, Love, Lopez, Bayless, Lopez and Anderson and Mbah A Moute, Hairston, Hardin and Leunen were 2nd-rounders. The talent that was supposed to replace it mostly transferred out (Jennings, Gordon, Morgan, Dunigan), or left the next year (Harden (so.), Hill (jr.), DeRozan (fr.), Holiday (fr.), Gibson (jr.), Budinger (jr.)). This on top of 7/10 programs going through coaching changes the last two years (Arizona, Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, USC, Washington State) and it's pretty easy to see how the conference fell apart.

Arizona is ahead of the Pac as far as the recovery. Their recruiting is insane. Even if Williams leaves, it's a year setback with the class they have coming in followed by the class I expect them to have the following year.

The Conference is still down, but it's better than last year, and I think are underrated by the eastern media. UCLA beat St. John's, USC beat Texas and 1/3rd the conference came within a possession or two of beating Kansas. Ignore this at your own peril.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    2010-11 Arizona Wildcats, featuring:

Derrick Williams, Pac-10 Player Of The Year
    Lamont Jones, Pac-10 All-Honorable-Mention

Led by:
    Sean Miller, Pac-10 Coach Of The Year

My Team
    Purdue Boilermakers
    Post Count
    My one concern with the Pac-10 is all the gimmicky systems basically every team outside of Arizona and UCLA runs that might scare recruits with NBA aspirations off, and also the piss poor recruiting ability some of the coaches have demonstrated so far. <br />
    <br />
    Idk why Herb Sendek thinks that as ASU's coach he should be recruiting all 4 corners of the country instead of just sticking to the West Coast, but until he gets a noteworthy recruit without coincidentally hiring said recruit's high school coach as an assistant and guaranteeing a roster spot for said recruits' high school teammate I'm convinced he's a ball recruiter. Idk how you can only bring in 1 recruit for next year to a huge school notorious for ty white women and parties w/ immediate playing time available at every position.<br />
    <br />
    Washington not getting Angelo Chol is great for Arizona, but it's a pretty negative reflection on their recruiting.<br />
    <br />
    Cal had a great 2010 recruiting class but for a team that has plenty of immediate PT available next year, their 2011 class sucks<br />
    <br />
    USC has had 2 straight "Feel good" seasons where they massively overachieved, but Kevin "I'm in re ed" O'Neil has yet to bring in any decent recruit for them. He seems like someone who finds a reason to pick a 2 star over a 5 star because the 2 star fits "his system".<br />
    <br />
    Wazzu and Oregon are actually schools with new coaches who are making immediate progress and will be much better next year as will Cal. USC and ASU are both schools that have a lot to offer recruits and keep West Coast recruits in the Pac-10, but with the re ed coaches each team has I don't see either one ever rebuilding.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Oregon is going to own, very soon. I was really impressed with them this season, and when Altman gets himself some players, starting with Jabari Brown next year, he'll make them a monster ala the early part of this decade with Ridnour, Jackson, Jones-teams. He runs and pushes the ball well. Washington is always going to be strong. UCLA will return sooner than later. Colorado appears to be solid and improving.

But I agree with you and USC/Arizona State. Their styles suck the life out of the gym. Stanford is what Stanford is. Oregon State could... could improve with more players. I was impressed with their pressing ability. A lot will rest on Cal. They've been an inconsistent great for years, sending Kevin Johnson, Jason Kidd and Shareef Abdur-Rahim to the pros in a 10 year stretch from late 80s to late 90s. They need to get back. No reason they can't. Not sure Monty is the coach, although he's a very good coach. I think he's getting up there in years and the Lute effect will kick in within a few.

Overall, my 10 year projection is:

1. Arizona: Making significant strides in California recruiting, already beating out more proven Pac-10/12 teams for talent. More future help is on the way, I'm told
    2. UCLA: A bit down, but Howland can point to the number of pros he's produced, which is significant. Needs to open it up a bit. He can get the athletes.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    3. Washington: Still good, but they aren't, nor should they be atop the conference year in year out. They'll make contend for the Conference every few years.
    4. Oregon: Altman was a great hire, albeit a "settle" hire. He'll have Oregon competing for NCAA's within two years and a fixture there within five.
    5. California: Very good coach, albeit for only a few more years. He'll build up a compe ive and attractive program for some up-n-comer.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    6. Colorado: Solid style, coach and with the move to the Pac-10, could be able to move in on the California kids a bit more.
    7. USC: Fire O'Neill, get a pro-style coach and recruit the out of Los Angeles. No reason they can't be a top-4 team every year, yet they aren't.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    8. Washington State: Needs to abandon the gimmick and run a pro-style offense. Pullman is not near attractive enough to run the gimmick.
    9. Arizona State: See above, minus the attractive comment for Tempe. Think how great the 08 team could have been had they not averaged 60 points a game.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    10. Utah: They have a recent history of success, but moving to the Pac-10 on the rebound likely means they take a step back. Few top prospects are going to Salt Lake, so they need to bring in a coach with international ties, and who can develop players.
    11. Stanford: High admission standards will keep them low, but every once in a while they'll have a team with two or three good upperclassmen and be in the top-half.
    12. Oregon State: They've need to get a legit coach who can recruit or develop. Right now they are successfully straddling the line twixt mediocre and average.

My Team
    Purdue Boilermakers
    Post Count
    IMO UCLA is very close to being back. If Pauly D stays in school and Fatass Smith loses oh idk 50-60 pounds that front line of Smith - Nelson - Pauly D is in lethal w/ Malcolm Lee still at PG. In that scenario I think they easily have top 15 potential.

I don't know much about Oregon but from what I've heard the Nike connection is gonna start pulling recruits for them, they're def. gonna be a threat shortly.

Idk if it was just the UCLA game where it looked so bad, but Washington State NEEDS to get rid of that soft 1-2-2 zone they run. When UCLA actually played focused and assertive, they basically drew double teams wherever they wanted and got an open shot wherever they wanted. They have good talent on their team and could easily run a real halfcourt offense with man defense.

My Team
    Purdue Boilermakers
    Post Count
    Oh and if anyone is wondering who Pauly D is:

My Team
    Purdue Boilermakers
    Post Count
    Down by 4 early.......figure it out.

My Team
    Purdue Boilermakers
    Post Count
    Cats by 10.....Derrick Williams 4-4 from long range , 19 points off 9 shots.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    I'm always too tense to post in threads during the games.

We cannot handle the extended pressure zone.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    ... Now Starks is hot.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Solid win. Good games by the so'mo's. Need Fogg for the depth tomorrow. USC is going to be tough. Nice to see UCLA tank tonight. We get past USC, it'll likely be one of the two Washington teams now. Neither have the size I'm concerned of. USC, on the other hand...

Post Count
    Gus Johnson: HA HAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

I saw the end of this game. Great finish. 'Zona is pretty good but Thomas just stuck it to them.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Gus Johnson: HA HAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

I saw the end of this game. Great finish. 'Zona is pretty good but Thomas just stuck it to them.
    He had a of a game. Arizona had their opportunities but offensive mistakes (missed FTs or forced shots) and too many defensive lapses (in coverage or on the boards) cost them.

I love this team, but they frustrate the out of me. I know they are young and are overachieving based on talent, so it's hard to get pissed, but their focus is too severely in-n-out beyond Williams, and even he can fade on defense and rebounds from time to time.

When Arizona gets a PG, they'll own. Mayes has shown flashes, but is too young. Momo is a leader, but his a dip as well. Dope posed Jordan-style after making the first FT in regulation, putting AZ up three, then promptly missed the second, enabling Washington to tie it up. He has heart, but doesn't think too often. Some of it's young. Much of it's stupidity.

Tough loss. Kick in the balls-type that hopefully doesn't stick with them. My guess is Arizona is in contention for the 4-seed, but ends up a 5. They needed to sweep the les to make up for their absence of top-25 wins.

My Team
    Purdue Boilermakers
    Post Count
    Yeah that announcer fapped after that shot. Zona deserved that loss, Parrom leaving that shooter open to help on Isiah's drive was beyond re ed.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Yeah that announcer fapped after that shot. Zona deserved that loss, Parrom leaving that shooter open to help on Isiah's drive was beyond re ed.
    In the last two minutes of regulation, the defense sagged into the lane. Allowed a barrage of threes. Also allowed long rebounds to skip over their head for extra possessions. Horrible focus. I hope it was Miller's call.

Thread Information