Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    I have no idea if DoK will ever make it back to the boards, but I know there are several other Arizona Wildcat fans on the board, as well as several Pac-10 rivals who'll likely pop in from time to time.

While not news, it's imperative to restate just how incredible a coach Sean Miller is. He walked into a situation not unlike Indiana's mess and immediately coached up some players, many of which were freshman. They fell a single win short of 20 wins in his first season, despite 7-9 rotation players being underclassmen, most of whom were very lowly ranked.

What is news is the extent to which Miller can recruit. He did well enough at Xavier, but was always going to be limited with what he could do. He walked into Arizona, whose cupboard was essentially bare and immediately pulled in a top-15 class. After a slight down class in 2010, or, a class that more closely resembled what he would bring in at Xavier, he rebounded, bringing in a top-10 class thus far for 2011 with two consensus 5-star wings in PG Josiah Turner and SG Nick Johnson and a top-50/55 PF/C in Sidiki Johnson. They are in on another highly regarded PF/C prospect as well for 2011.

Today, however, Miller stepped it up yet again. With today's commitment of 2012 PF/C Grant Jarrett (6-9, 220), Miller not only beat out the likes of Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky out east (all offered, were listed as heavy recruiters) and UCLA and Texas out west for the consensus top-15 player, Miller just brought in UAs highest ranked post-player ever.

To add to this impact, UA also received the verbal commit from Eric Cooper, Jr., a highly thought of PG/SG prospect for 2013. He's the son of former UA great Eric Cooper. He's coming off a knee injury, but was thought to be in contention for a 5-star ranking coming into high school, is already 6-2 and his coach says is still growing.

In his 19 months as head coach of Arizona, Miller has signed two 5-star prospects, five 4-star and has received verbals from another two 5-star players for classes going forward. Outside of Kentucky, I'm not sure there's been such an impressive span for any program, especially considering the situation coming in. Also considering Miller has never been linked to any impropriety in his coaching tenure.

Arizona's future is as bright as it's ever been. Crazy to think what Miller could do with the extra two scholarships lost due to Olson's mishandling of the Cactus Classic.

Sucks that they appear to be on verge of losing to #6 Kansas, but the fact they battled back from a 16-point deficit to take a 2nd-half lead is encouraging. Derrick Williams had a monster game despite foul trouble against the Morris twins, with 27 points, 8 rebounds on 9-15 shooting. Game completely changed when Williams picked up his 4th foul.

I don't roll on Shabbos! WalterSobchak's Avatar
    My Team
    Oregon Ducks
    Post Count
    I haven't really kept much track of AZ since Lute called it a career. Not to mention, living out in Sin City kinda made me a UNLV fan. Basketball program only. UNLV has a god awful football program!

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    I haven't really kept much track of AZ since Lute called it a career. Not to mention, living out in Sin City kinda made me a UNLV fan. Basketball program only. UNLV has a god awful football program!
    It's a good time to take notice of them again. Newly signed Oregon prospect Jabari Brown is the starting SF on the same AAU squad (Oakland Soldiers) as newly signed Arizona commits PG Josiah Turner and SG Nick Johnson. Oregon is trying to make some headway on that squad as they are one of if not the best AAU team in the country. Arizona already has an in with 2012 PF/C Brandon Ashley, and new AZ commits Grant Jerrett and Eric Cooper are rumored to be linked to future versions of the squad, so it'll be a tough safe to crack, but they have an in themselves.

I have it on good authority that Williams will be back for a junior year, which should mean AZ is Elite-8 compe ive, at least.

Oregon has some potential. With that Nike backing for their facilities, they'll be an easy sell to several elite prospects hoping to get in good with Knight for post-collegiate endorsements. They'll have PT to sell as well... Honestly, I've never been concerned about Oregon with Kent. Save for the "Luke" year with Ridnour and Jackson and then the Aaron Brooks season, Kent's inability has more than negated the players ability. With their new coach and facilities and potential in with the Soldiers, Oregon could be on their way back.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Update: Arizona just hosted top-70 C prospect from San Diego Angelo Chol (6-9, 215). Chol is raw offensively, but shows consistency with his spot-up jumper and is a very good athlete. He's a defensive stud who owns California's state record for career blocks. This is the first year he hasn't been a 5-Star prospect, a lot of which has to do with his underdeveloped offense, but as far as potential, he has it. My source says he'll commit to Arizona on the 17th of February when he announces. He still has an official to Washington, but he's already visited the campus unofficially twice, has been recruited a long time by them, and thought so highly of them he reached out to Arizona to recruit him when everyone thought he was a lock to U-Dub.

If Chol commits, he'd anchor the middle for a top-3 class in the country, headlined by 5-star PG stud Josiah Turner (6-2, 180), 4-star SG Nick Johnson (6-3, 190), 4-star PF Sidiki Johnson (6-8, 220).

Also, Johnson is likely to be a 5-star in the final rankings, and Chol could move back up as well...

If Johnson makes the expected leap, Miller will have signed three 5-star, five 4-star and received two (or three) additional 5-Star commits in his first 20 months in Tucson.

Meanwhile, Miller has Arizona ranked for the first time in several years and tied for 1st in the Pac-10. Crazy how fast it's coming together. Williams is a 1st-Team All-American candidate and leads the country in scoring efficiency, knocking down a whoppping 58% from the field, 70% from range, leads the country in FT attempts and leads the country in points-per-shot.

Arizona needs to go 7-2 to contend for the Pac-10 regular season le, and 8-1 would all but ensure it. If they can go even 5-4, they should still qualify for the Tournament at 23-7. Likely is 7-2/6-3 and contention for the Pac-10.

My Team
    Arkansas Razorbacks
    Post Count
    The first UA has a pimp recruiting class for 2011.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Maybe got their best win of the season last night, a 107-105, 3OT win at Cal. NPOY candidate Derrick Williams fouled out in regulation, and defending Pac-10 POW Momo Jones and versatile 6th-Man Kevin Parrom each stepped up in his considerable absence, scoring 27 and 25 respectively.

It was a great rallying win for a young team in need of 2nd/3rd contributors. Jones is starting to play consistent, intense ball on both ends, and Parrom, of the "No Easy Buckets" infame, is the perfect complement to that intensity. Each brings a street ball toughness and swagger, and each is starting to let their play do the talking.

AZ is gonna be top-20 ranked for the first time in years, and ranked for consecutive weeks for the first time in almost as long.

First in the Pac-10, 1.5 game lead on UCLA (who still has to visit the Washington schools) and 2 game lead on Washington (who still has to visit Tucson, where AZ hasn't lost yet) and heading into their rivalry at Tempe vs. last place ASU.

First vs. Last... Just as it should be.

My Team
    Purdue Boilermakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Purdue Boilermakers
    Post Count
    The first UA has a pimp recruiting class for 2011.
    Cool story bro

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    If Williams hand isn't a concern going forward and they can get quality production from two of Momo, Fogg, Hill and Parrom, the'll be a tough out. I'm not sure I've seen a team buy so wholly into the system on offense and defense at Arizona since the 01-02 team. Now, that team had more talent, and made a very strong showing all season. This has been a considerable process all season long, but they played like last night on the road vs. their #1 rival all hyped to ruin their season and won by 15.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    "It's Arizona, nobody else"
    - My source on Arizona's recent recruiting.

It's getting scary for all of the West. My source says Chol commits to AZ on Thursday, giving them a top-5, maybe top-3 class. If/When he chooses Arizona, he'll do so from a three-team list that also includes Kansas and North Carolina. Nice to be monsters again.

My Team
    Purdue Boilermakers
    Post Count
    "The Decision" happens today where Angelo Chol announces he'll be taking his talents to Southern Arizona.

My Team
    UCLA Bruins
    Post Count
    UA is good. They curbstopmed the Bruins

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    "The Decision" happens today where Angelo Chol announces he'll be taking his talents to Southern Arizona.
    It'll happen. So sayeth my source.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Have to admit. UCLA is playing great again and is likely to return the favor next weekend.

My Team
    Purdue Boilermakers
    Post Count
    As JMJ said UCLA is likely to beat Arizona @ UCLA in their 2nd meeting. Arizona needs to win their other games and hope UCLA drops a game in Washington (which is likely).

Next year it'll be UCLA vs. UA in the Pac-10 with the other teams playing for 3rd place. If Honeycutt, Reeves Nelson + Malcolm Lee return (I'm assuming they will) and they get Josh Smith on a diet over the off season they'll be scary next year.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Consensus Ranks

5-Star PG (18-22 range), Josiah Turner (6-2, 190)
    5-Star SG (20-25 range), Nick Johnson (6-3, 200)
    4-star PF (55-70 range), Sidiki Johnson (6-8, 220
    4-star C (45-60 range), Angelo Chol (6-9, 215)

Josiah Turner has been branded as the top overall pure PG and top pro PG prospect in the class, Nick Johnson, nephew of the late/great Dennis Johnson, is arguably the best player on the best high school team in the country and is arguably the top athlete in the class, Sidiki Johnson is an imposing force down low with developing spot-up skills and Angelo Chol holds all of California's state records for blocks in a season, blocks in a career and is closing in on the same for rebounds and nationally for blocks in a season and career.

It's the perfect class, and, with a returned Williams, Jones, Parrom, Hill, Fogg, Perry, Mayes and Lavender make for a potentially preseason top-15 team next year.
    Last edited by JMarkJohns; 02-17-2011 at 04:02 PM.

My Team
    Purdue Boilermakers
    Post Count
    nc=fcked

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    And all is right with the world...

Both Self and Ol' Roy were heavily recruiting Chol, with Self making him their frontcourt priority the last few weeks. Great seeing Arizona best all the big programs for West Coast recruits again.

My Team
    Purdue Boilermakers
    Post Count
    So next year's best case scenario rotation (assuming Bejarano transfers, Jacobson graduates, and Lavender transfers:

PG: Josiah Turner/Jordin Mayes/Momo Jones
    SG: Momo Jones/Nick Johnson/Kyle Fogg
    SF: Solo Hill/Kevin Parrom/Derrick Williams
    PF: Derrick Williams/Sidiki Johnson/Angelo Chol
    C: Jesse Perry/Angelo Chol/Kyryl Natyasko

anything less than a final four with that would be disappointing

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Kyryl to Europe and Lavender to stay.

PG: Jones, Turner, Mayes
    SG: Fogg, Johnson, Lavender
    SF: Hill, Parrom (some Lavender as well)
    PF: Williams, Perry
    C: Chol, Johnson

That's the 12. I'd prefer Lavender and Kyryl are the odd men out, with Bejarano staying. He's worked his ass off and has enough potential to be a good starting SF by his senior year. I understand if he transfers. I've heard links to Grand Canyon so he can play immediately and be closer to home. I'd like to keep Kyryl as well, but I think he can make good money in Europe and was infinitely more comfortable and productive there in a less athletic game.

My Team
    Purdue Boilermakers
    Post Count
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how anyone starts over Turner at PG. As good as they've been this year not having any play making off the dribble has been a huge problem, and I think Miller knows SG is Momo's natural position. Only reason I have Perry starting over Chol is because he's been good this year.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    I think in Miller's perfect system Turner (fr.) and Chol (fr.) start alongside veterans of Fogg (sr.), Hill (jr.) and Williams (jr) with Jones (jr.) and Perry (sr.) coming off the bench with Johnson (fr.), Mayes (so.), Parrom (jr.) and Johnson (fr.)

This has the best balance. Jones and Johnson in the same backcourt could be the most tenacious duo in the game. Add Parrom and that trio is disgusting as far as defense and intensity.

I just find it hard to start two freshman. With it easier to hide an inexperienced big than inexperienced PG, I figure Turner off the bench for 15-20 minutes. It'll be tough to distribute the minutes, but I figure something like this...

PG: Jones (20 minutes), Turner (15 minutes), Mayes (5 minutes)
    SG: Fogg (20 minutes, Johnson (15 minutes), Mayes (5 minutes)
    SF: Hill (15 minutes), Parrom (15 minutes), Lavender (10 minutes)
    PF: Williams (20 minutes), Perry (15 minutes), Hill (5 minutes)
    C: Chol (15 minutes), Williams (10 minutes), Perry (10 minutes), Johnson (5 minutes)

Totals
    Williams (jr.) - 30 minutes
    Perry (sr.) - 25 minutes
    Fogg (sr.) - 20 minutes
    Hill (jr.) - 20 minutes
    Jones (jr.) - 20 minutes
    Parrom (jr) - 15 minutes
    Chol (fr.) - 15 minutes
    Johnson (fr.) - 15 minutes
    Turner (fr.) - 15 minutes
    Lavender (sr.) - 10 minutes
    Mayes (so.) - 10 minutes
    Johnson (fr.) - 5 minutes

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Arizona's 2011 class

Angelo Chol (6-9, 210)

Sidiki Johnson (6-8, 220)

Nick Johnson (6-3, 200)

Josiah Turner (6-2, 190)

My Team
    Purdue Boilermakers
    Post Count
    The only relevant basketball team in Arizona (college or pro) pushes its winning streak to 7, its home winning streak to 15, and its overall record to 22-4. One good thing after another happening with this program.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    o, Top-10... 1,2,4,7,8,9 all lost a game this week.

I think we'll be 9/10 in the AP/ESPN polls.

Thread Information