Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my piece of trash droid eris still runs like a champ. people at xda are very dedicated. i would also recomend google voice. free texting. cant beat that.
    Just curious do you know of any work around for the flash 10.1 update on Android 2.1??

So far my understanding is it cannot be done, but XDA has proven me wrong before...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just curious do you know of any work around for the flash 10.1 update on Android 2.1??

So far my understanding is it cannot be done, but XDA has proven me wrong before...
    what phone are you using?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drachen, really?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I went back and looked at the thread and see why you say that. However, I have said it many times that (generally when I am at work) I pay no attention to who is responding, only what is being said.

To answer SA-butta's question, it seems that flash will only work on ARM A8 based processors or better. The Eris is just a slightly modified hero (which is what I have) and so I can tell you that it won't work. However you should upgrade to 2.2, much faster.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like android people will finally get ad-less angry birds.

http://www.arcticstartup.com/2010/12...lion-downloads

Hopefully you get the holiday version of it too, but it might be too late. The Halloween/Christmas levels were/are awesome. Right now iOS users get a new level every day of December until the 25th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like android people will finally get ad-less angry birds.

http://www.arcticstartup.com/2010/12...lion-downloads

Hopefully you get the holiday version of it too, but it might be too late. The Halloween/Christmas levels were/are awesome. Right now iOS users get a new level every day of December until the 25th.
    We have the same thing going on here. I totally forgot about that though so I'm gonna have to play it when I remember. I still have to beat Angry Birds (original).
    Last edited by MeesterMarcus; 12-10-2010 at 04:22 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And as for ad-less. Pretty much any app can be ad-less as long as you have adfree for people who root their phone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one problem I could see is that the Evo is a big phone already (owing to the screen naturally) and adding the higher capacity battery would just add unwanted bulk imo. From what I've heard, the Galaxy S phones are much better on battery life than the Evo. But that's just hearsay so I'm not sure how accurate that us.

Frankly, when people ask me about phones, I tell them that no matter which carrier it is, if you want Android, you probably want a Galaxy S. If I didn't have the phone that shall not be named in this thread, I'd definitely have a Galaxy S (Captivate in my case because I'm still under contract with AT&T).

If I was a Sprint customer, I wouldn't even think twice and would just get an Epic.
    Yes, Samsung Galaxy S phones do have much longer battery life than the Evo and the bulkiness of a new battery can be bad for some. I would rather sacrifice some looks for great battery life though.

People have different tastes for phones but when it comes down to the features, the Evo is on top. It has specs and features that little to no phone has. Video call through not just wireless, but 3G and 4G, wireless tethering, 8.0 megapixel camera, kickstand, beautiful screen, HDMI output, 720p video recording, and an incredible CPU & GPU. It's like a little computer in your pocket 8).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CH any good weather apps?

Check this one out.

http://www.pykl3radar.com/index.php

Kooler than Jesus Nathan Explosion's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The requests for our iPhone app to be ported to Android has been picking up considerably lately. I might just have to take a few months and make it happen.
    What app is that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CH any good weather apps?

Check this one out.

http://www.pykl3radar.com/index.php
    That's awesome. I've been using Weatherbug, it was the only one I could find with motion-based radar. Looks like that is a lot better.

Kooler than Jesus Nathan Explosion's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, Samsung Galaxy S phones do have much longer battery life than the Evo and the bulkiness of a new battery can be bad for some. I would rather sacrifice some looks for great battery life though.

People have different tastes for phones but when it comes down to the features, the Evo is on top. It has specs and features that little to no phone has. Video call through not just wireless, but 3G and 4G, wireless tethering, 8.0 megapixel camera, kickstand, beautiful screen, HDMI output, 720p video recording, and an incredible CPU & GPU. It's like a little computer in your pocket 8).
    The Epic does all of that, but better. The processor is faster, the screen has better contrast, and while the camera resolution isn't as high, the photos actually come out better (better sensors will almost always better high megapixels), and did I mention the battery life? The only real thing the Evo has is the bigger screen, but it's not better than the Epic.

The Epic is the best Android (and some say smart phone) on the market right now. As I stated before, if I didn't have my phone or the option of getting it, the Epic would be the first on my list. I don't understand why anyone would get an Evo when an Epic can be had.

And while I have no experience with Swype, I bet it can make texting so much faster, especially when you only have a few seconds to send out a text, like say when you're overbearing boss is coming around the corner and you're trying to get a quick message to a coworker about something that needs to be done when they come in or something like that.

As for the claim that video calling cannot be made without wifi on the phone that shall not be named in this thread, that's a load of . The native video calling app has the best resolution that I've seen, but Tango is the best cross platform video chat app I've seen. Not only does it let Android and the nameless phone talk to each other (something that Facetime and Qik don't do) but the quality is almost as good as Facetime and better than Qik imo. And it lets the nameless phone video call without wifi without degrading the quality in video. Tango is a great app, and it doesn't have all the fluff that Fring has.

And no that previous paragraph was not me pimping my phone, but rather, talking about how great Tango is. I just love that app.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My sister recently got an Epic and its pretty awesome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Epic does all of that, but better. The processor is faster, the screen has better contrast, and while the camera resolution isn't as high, the photos actually come out better (better sensors will almost always better high megapixels), and did I mention the battery life? The only real thing the Evo has is the bigger screen, but it's not better than the Epic.

The Epic is the best Android (and some say smart phone) on the market right now. As I stated before, if I didn't have my phone or the option of getting it, the Epic would be the first on my list. I don't understand why anyone would get an Evo when an Epic can be had.

And while I have no experience with Swype, I bet it can make texting so much faster, especially when you only have a few seconds to send out a text, like say when you're overbearing boss is coming around the corner and you're trying to get a quick message to a coworker about something that needs to be done when they come in or something like that.

As for the claim that video calling cannot be made without wifi on the phone that shall not be named in this thread, that's a load of . The native video calling app has the best resolution that I've seen, but Tango is the best cross platform video chat app I've seen. Not only does it let Android and the nameless phone talk to each other (something that Facetime and Qik don't do) but the quality is almost as good as Facetime and better than Qik imo. And it lets the nameless phone video call without wifi without degrading the quality in video. Tango is a great app, and it doesn't have all the fluff that Fring has.

And no that previous paragraph was not me pimping my phone, but rather, talking about how great Tango is. I just love that app.
    I gotta be honest I didn't read all that much about the Epic, but it sounds like an amazing phone. I heard the video chat quality is a lot better as well. I did know that the Evo was considered the best phone at it's release. I still enjoy the Evo and it's the best phone I've had nonetheless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So I've done a little research and the reviews from both customers and tech sites seem to be varied. The pros for the epic are that the screen is much better aside from size difference, Swype, and a better CPU and gpu. The evo has hdmi out, better call quality, and a bigger screen. While Evo does not have Swype, there are apps very similar to it. I've tried out Swype on Galaxy S and subs utes for Evo and personally prefer the standard touch keyboard. I haven't tried out Tango, so I'll have to check that out. As for the battery life, it also seems to be varied between evo and epic. Some people say they've had both phones and one is better than the other from both evo and epic users. When it comes down to it, they're both excellent and depends on the consumer's taste.
    Last edited by MeesterMarcus; 12-11-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    I like swype, I use swype, I'm accurate with swype. But no, I haven't found it much faster, if at all, than tapping out words letter by letter.

If it chose words perfectly with some sort of brainwave device, maybe, but considering I've had to go back and change a wrong word to the word I intended to use about 474 times during the past two weeks alone, that's a pipe dream. And there's certain words you almost can't avoid inputting in a way that fouls up the end result: for example want/wasn't- you better not let the side of your finger even think about touching that S, or you're spending 5 seconds backspacing and tapping.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like swype, I use swype, I'm accurate with swype. But no, I haven't found it much faster, if at all, than tapping out words letter by letter.

If it chose words perfectly with some sort of brainwave device, maybe, but considering I've had to go back and change a wrong word to the word I intended to use about 474 times during the past two weeks alone, that's a pipe dream. And there's certain words you almost can't avoid inputting in a way that fouls up the end result: for example want/wasn't- you better not let the side of your finger even think about touching that S, or you're spending 5 seconds backspacing and tapping.
    Use Swiftkey. It's so much faster than either swype or standard texting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm happy with my epic the other day I got my friends evo and ran angry birds on both side by side and I notice the evo had some studder to it. I would have not notice if I was just playing on the evo but next to my epic you could tell.

Needless to say my friend said, whatever and took her phone back fast. She did say she hates her flash because it makes everyone come out with no nose and she showed me her pic and sure enough the whiteness of the flash washes the nose out. My epic camera is OK but the best point and shoot cell phone camera I have ever used goes to the blackberry tour.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems HTC didn't like the Epic taking customers so the are releasing Evo Shift.
    aside from the buggy GPS I like my Epic.

http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/commen...e-date-leaked/

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    keyboard. looks decent. best keyboard i have tried on an android belongs to the g2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    THe one on my moment is nice as IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My epic keyboard is huge, but I typed faster on my old blackberry but all my keyboards before the epic were non slider kb so I think I was used to a slim kb rather than a wide one.

I really like that the epic has keys just for numbers, didnt really think it was a big deal until I really stared using them.

With that said I used the on screen KB about 90% of the time. I used the slide out when banking or something where I need to press numbers a lot or when I'm sending a piss off text. May not used it much but I like that its there if I need it.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    After weeks of not rooting and then rooting to a 2.1 ROM last week, I flashed a custom Froyo build onto to my Captivate yesterday. Contains a few bits and pieces from Gingerbread. And gosh, just to brag a bit, my phone has never been more cool.

I'm going to overclock a bit up to 1.2, maybe 1.4, see how big of a hit my battery will take. One thing I know is that my phone is going to fly.

I'm jealous of the Motorola line though. Some of the ROMs for those phones curbstomp anything else I've ever seen.
    Last edited by balli; 01-09-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    From what I've heard, the Galaxy S phones are much better on battery life than the Evo. But that's just hearsay so I'm not sure how accurate that us.
    Just reading the Evo owners in this thread, I'd say that's accurate. Obviously there's a tradeoff for the screen size and 4G, but I've never, no matter how much I used my phone, completely drained my Captivate's battery in a day. I've gotten down to 10% a couple of times, but generally, I do whatever I want on my phone from 8:30 in the morning until 11:00 at night and I'll usually have 20-30 percent of my battery left.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information