Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    iOS4 has cut and copy. Ipad2 will have a camera. I wouldn't want a camera on my ipad anyway. Thats what my CAMERA is for.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek

Dumbass your comparing last years model to the latest attempt at compe ion. Ipad 2 will be cheaper.....(and what your dumbass missed) wont require one month commitment to unlock wifi. LOL and its ty motorola.

So wait a second. You're telling me that you're actually going to research a product ahead of time??????? This is phenomenal. I want to throw you a party.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get the camera on a 10 inch tablet either. Even a 7 inch with a camera is kinda funny to me. I just picture people holding them up to take a picture and it looks funny as to me in my imagination.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the only camera that makes sense for the tablet is the VGA res front facing camera for video-chat, maybe scanning in barcodes, etc. A high-res camera really makes no sense to me on such a device.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the only camera that makes sense for the tablet is the VGA res front facing camera for video-chat, maybe scanning in barcodes, etc. A high-res camera really makes no sense to me on such a device.
    I think it's more along the line of thought of, "Well, we CAN do it, so why not?"

Not that it's a good idea...

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Did you and Viva get together and compare notes on Android-based devices? Because you guys keep talking , unfortunately you're both full of it and you still think you know more than anyone else, even though you admitted to doing zero research into the topic and you're making statements that have absolutely no basis in reality.
    Geez you do have some sort of problem, do you.
    Didn't I start a thread about an android device where I said I'm more than likely getting on top of saying my next phone won't be an iPhone.

1000 to 1 urine only child.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won't need to research ahead of time when I go to buy another tablet or phone. I won't need to confirm that I'll be able to hack the machine make it run the latest droid os, Because unlike google who gives their to anybody, apple makes sure that their latest product runs their latest software, smoke. I bet that ur pos hacked droid runs at a fraction of what u claim it does, u wnt ever admit to it cause ur like that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won't need to research ahead of time when I go to buy another tablet or phone. I won't need to confirm that I'll be able to hack the machine make it run the latest droid os, Because unlike google who gives their to anybody, apple makes sure that their latest product runs their latest software, smoke. I bet that ur pos hacked droid runs at a fraction of what u claim it does, u wnt ever admit to it cause ur like that
    Clearly you have a good grasp of the technical knowledge you boasted so openly about just a few pages ago.

"I know what I'm talking about. Blah blah blah."

"No you don't, and here's why."

"Oh, you don't think I've read about it? You're an idiot."

"No, it doesn't appear that you did anything of the sort."

"Well so what! I can call you names!"

Classic. Nothing like resorting to anger and 7th grade insults when someone calls you out for making incorrect statements.
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 02-07-2011 at 02:33 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You obviously don't understand what open source is about. It allows you to configure your device to run the way you want it to up to and including the hardware limitations. It is about having to option to purchase a device that runs the way you want it to, or purchasing another far less expensive device and with very little work (thank you developing community) get it to run at the capabilities of the newest device.
    The NC is underclocked to 800Mhz stock, If I DL and install the "she's a screamer" kernel, it clocks it up to 1 Ghz while using less battery power. It allows for the millions of heads who like to write code to get together to make each device as powerful as possible, rather than relying on the 1000s employed by the company. It extends a product's useful life.
    Lastly, you are correct. Apple does release products meant for one device, one OS, etc. It is their business model and it has been successful for them the last 10 years or so. But it has been their business model long before that and the result of that model then was the necessity of having Microsoft purchase a large portion of the company just to keep the doors open. When do you think the next cash infusion from MS or GOOG will be necessary?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Careful, Drachen, when you try to give knowledge to T_W_F, he calls you a smoke. As if that's going to... what, hurt, exactly?

You obviously don't understand what open source is about. It allows you to configure your device to run the way you want it to up to and including the hardware limitations. It is about having to option to purchase a device that runs the way you want it to, or purchasing another far less expensive device and with very little work (thank you developing community) get it to run at the capabilities of the newest device.
    The NC is underclocked to 800Mhz stock, If I DL and install the "she's a screamer" kernel, it clocks it up to 1 Ghz while using less battery power. It allows for the millions of heads who like to write code to get together to make each device as powerful as possible, rather than relying on the 1000s employed by the company. It extends a product's useful life.
    This is incredibly important. Some games that have been opened sourced that were created in 1999 are still being modded and actively played today. Descent Freespace 2 still has a HUGE community that develops more advanced graphics and extra missions for it. The Nintendo Wii has been modded to completely control entire living rooms. The list goes on as far as value.

Lastly, you are correct. Apple does release products meant for one device, one OS, etc. It is their business model and it has been successful for them the last 10 years or so. But it has been their business model long before that and the result of that model then was the necessity of having Microsoft purchase a large portion of the company just to keep the doors open. When do you think the next cash infusion from MS or GOOG will be necessary?
    This is also the business model that led Apple to near extinction in the 1990s as Windows-based systems flooded the computing industry. But Apple is repeating the same model as last time, and they stand a very real chance of losing huge % of market share to Android in the next 3-4 years, as more powerful Android phones surpass what comes out of Cupertino, for as much or less per dollar. So as far as Apple goes, I would say the iPod and iPhone went farther to save the company than their business model ever did. It was the initial innovation that propelled them, (that should sound familiar to anyone who was alive in 1984) not the sustained evolution of a product. Isolationist policies are almost always limiting in terms of technological development, and there is no exception here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NC is underclocked to 800Mhz stock, If I DL and install the "she's a screamer" kernel, it clocks it up to 1 Ghz while using less battery power.
    Yeah and I'm sure the oc to 1ghz works to urs and crys standards, and as long as I don't read the xda forums, I'm suppose to believe u have some perfectly functioning tablet.

I'm all about open source and modding machines but i want something straight out the box that works 99.99999999% of the time, no questions asked. When I want to around, I'll get on my unbuntu box, that "works".

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Careful, Drachen, when you try to give knowledge to T_W_F, he calls you a smoke. As if that's going to... what, hurt, exactly?

This is incredibly important. Some games that have been opened sourced that were created in 1999 are still being modded and actively played today. Descent Freespace 2 still has a HUGE community that develops more advanced graphics and extra missions for it. The Nintendo Wii has been modded to completely control entire living rooms. The list goes on as far as value.

This is also the business model that led Apple to near extinction in the 1990s as Windows-based systems flooded the computing industry. But Apple is repeating the same model as last time, and they stand a very real chance of losing huge % of market share to Android in the next 3-4 years, as more powerful Android phones surpass what comes out of Cupertino, for as much or less per dollar. So as far as Apple goes, I would say the iPod and iPhone went farther to save the company than their business model ever did. It was the initial innovation that propelled them, (that should sound familiar to anyone who was alive in 1984) not the sustained evolution of a product. Isolationist policies are almost always limiting in terms of technological development, and there is no exception here.
    Apple's ty leadership at the top after Jobs left had way more to do with their woes than the walled garden approach. Surpassing MS in market capitalization this last April was no small feat, and they also have over 50 billion in cash on hand. I think their approach is doing quite well, although the walled garden can be annoying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think their approach is doing quite well, although the walled garden can be annoying.
    I never meant to imply anything else, however, again, it's mostly due to the success of the iPod/iPhone than beating Microsoft at their own game.

The fact that they are selling more computers is more a function of lower overall prices, IMO, than a dramatic shift in the market.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah and I'm sure the oc to 1ghz works to urs and crys standards, and as long as I don't read the xda forums, I'm suppose to believe u have some perfectly functioning tablet.

I'm all about open source and modding machines but i want something straight out the box that works 99.99999999% of the time, no questions asked. When I want to around, I'll get on my unbuntu box, that "works".
    If you are reading the xda forums then you know that the 950 mhz OC has been completely stable for about 5 weeks and the 1ghz has been stable for about 2-3 weeks. The 1.1 ghz seems to be the only one that is not stable yet, but I haven't checked the past two days, it could be by now.

If you want a product that works 99.999999999% of the time, no questions asked out of the box, then just purchase product and use it. They all do what they say they do, rooting just allows them to do more than they say they do. If you want more capabilities "out of the box" simple, you have the choice to spend more and buy the one that has more capabilities out of the box.

What I am trying to say is that if I only wanted a touch screen ereader, I could buy the NC and it works right out of the box. If I wanted a full blown tablet out of the box I could spend much more and get that. Personally, I wanted an ereader and a full blown tablet and didn't want to have to spend a bunch of money. Guess what? I got that too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand the argument TWF is even trying to make. If he doesn't want to bother with custom ROMs and rooting thats fine, but it is pretty damn stupid to say that the stock android phones aren't as good as an Iphone. Thats simply not the case.

Tablets is where the Ipad has more of a lead but its also way more expensive.

But I'm all about the bottom line. If I can take a tablet that costs a third of what the Ipad runs and make it do everything just as well with a bit of rooting (which I actually find fun to begin with - Its just fun to screw with things of that nature and customize it) then what is the problem?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't really agree with this. Not that I'm offended by it, or anything like that.

Back then, you still had to pay a 'premium' wether you bought hardware from Apple or IBM. The huge difference was essentially software availability (which ties to many different things to really discuss in a single post, including developer adoption and marketing strategies).

What Apple did right this time around was to open up development early (which attracted all kinds of developers) and have a tight grip on distribution (which assured they wouldn't get 1-upped on the marketing side).
    The whole walled garden has also worked well for them. It ensures there's a modi of basic quality on the software side which in a way provides better value for paying customers.

On the longer term, what's going to make or break the market is the perceived value of the platform in it's entirety (hardware/software). I think being tied to AT&T was counterproductive for Apple in that aspect, and I think letting Verizon into the game is a big step for them.

I don't think hardware in isolation or software in isolation is what's going to define what happens next, but the overall customer experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand the argument TWF is even trying to make. If he doesn't want to bother with custom ROMs and rooting thats fine, but it is pretty damn stupid to say that the stock android phones aren't as good as an Iphone. Thats simply not the case.

Tablets is where the Ipad has more of a lead but its also way more expensive.

But I'm all about the bottom line. If I can take a tablet that costs a third of what the Ipad runs and make it do everything just as well with a bit of rooting (which I actually find fun to begin with - Its just fun to screw with things of that nature and customize it) then what is the problem?
    I think he's speaking about the experience in general. You have to jump through hoops to get the thing doing what you really want it to do, and granted, plenty of geeks in here, but your average user wants to plug it in and get going. I think Android has come a long way towards that, but it's still not quite there yet. I also think having vendors adding all sorts of skins and some forced reduced functionality (that you need to unlock with rooting) is a disservice to advancing in that goal. The famed 'fragmentation'.

Then again, I might be misinterpreting what he was trying to say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't even think you have to jump through hoops, though. My sisters Samsung Epic is a great phone thats not rooted. I've used it plenty of times and I have never had an issue with it before at all. I've used a few non rooted Evos that have been great machines too.

You can get more out of almost every piece of hardware in a phone format by jailbreaking/rooting them and that you're able to do that isn't a knock on the original device - its a plus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think jailbreaking/rooting is a knock at all. I just don't think that's where a vast majority of the actual cellphones users want to go. I see the average joe switching phones before going trough that process. There's absolutely great Android phones out there for those average joes, no question about it. That said, when I was talking about vendors crippling, I was mostly pointing out to Morotola and their fetish of trying to distance themselves on the software side (which normally ends up in crippling and an inferior product), when they build great hardware. I think that's pretty counterproductive to Android as a platform in general, but it's the tradeoff of vendors having the ultimate authority vs Google.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think jailbreaking/rooting is a knock at all. I just don't think that's where a vast majority of the actual cellphones users want to go. I see the average joe switching phones before going trough that process. There's absolutely great Android phones out there for those average joes, no question about it. That said, when I was talking about vendors crippling, I was mostly pointing out to Morotola and their fetish of trying to distance themselves on the software side (which normally ends up in crippling and an inferior product), when they build great hardware. I think that's pretty counterproductive to Android as a platform in general, but it's the tradeoff of vendors having the ultimate authority vs Google.
    First of all, I completely agree with you that Moto screwed themselves here. But as has been said before, when the company (moto in this case) is trying to screw you, and create a walled garden (a la Apple), it is great to have the choice to continue using the platform you like (android), while telling Moto to F-off.

BTW, I love the way that the word "choice" has gone through the groupthink machine and come out the other end as a negative: "fragmentation"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, I love the way that the word "choice" has gone through the groupthink machine and come out the other end as a negative: "fragmentation"
    The power of Apple's marketing department. Just like those atrocious earbuds that everyone wears that are the worst thing to happen to music since the cassette tape.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First of all, I completely agree with you that Moto screwed themselves here. But as has been said before, when the company (moto in this case) is trying to screw you, and create a walled garden (a la Apple), it is great to have the choice to continue using the platform you like (android), while telling Moto to F-off.
    Agreed.

Depends. Does the changes on interface and usability add to the product or are simply there to differentiate? I think that's the actual question you have to ask to tell the two apart. People appreciate an genous interface because it removes the learning curve. At the same time, innovation is always a premium. A good example of what I call fragmentation would be Windows Vista. It really added nothing to the XP experience, it only made you have to learn a new way to do things while being more intrusive. You could call that "choice", but it was really something to differentiate from XP and sell new copies.

I wish Google had full control of the Android experience. I think an geneous experience would be nicer than what vendors will always push for: More walled gardens and unnecessary crippling of the experience in order to achieve that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh, the "fragmentation" term as was used by Jobs referred to the complexity of targeting the mul ude of devices, screen sizes, etc out there for developers. He's not necessarily wrong about that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed.

Depends. Does the changes on interface and usability add to the product or are simply there to differentiate? I think that's the actual question you have to ask to tell the two apart. People appreciate an genous interface because it removes the learning curve. At the same time, innovation is always a premium. A good example of what I call fragmentation would be Windows Vista. It really added nothing to the XP experience, it only made you have to learn a new way to do things while being more intrusive. You could call that "choice", but it was really something to differentiate from XP and sell new copies.

I wish Google had full control of the Android experience. I think an geneous experience would be nicer than what vendors will always push for: More walled gardens and unnecessary crippling of the experience in order to achieve that.
    Good point and I do think that in some cases it does enhance user experience. I like HTC Sense, thought it was good, but I don't use it anymore. You could say that I use Vanilla Android on my phone, but that isn't completely true. I use CM 6.1 with ADW launcher, so in effect there is still a skin.

Will there be companies that produce what I believe to be a crappy product? Yes! (looking at you motoblur), but even those serve purposes. From what I understand people who are not nerds, and are not into modding, or rooting, etc and LOVE social networking are those who love motoblur. These choices allow one OS to more accurately serve a diverse customer base.

As far as the walled gardens and crippling the hardware, the only android product manufacturer that I know that does that is Moto (though I will be candid here and admit that I don't know every single thing about every android device on the market).

tbh, the "fragmentation" term as was used by Jobs referred to the complexity of targeting the mul ude of devices, screen sizes, etc out there for developers. He's not necessarily wrong about that.
    Fair enough, however this doesn't seem to be a the problem he made it out to be.

Thread Information