Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is seemly to feign sentiments of morality if they are not actually present. Classic case of hypocrisy developing as a tribute of vice, to virtue.

Still, it's hardly unbelievable to me that Bear Stearns traders had moral sensibilities and "smell tests" in 2007, and that the proposed Paulson trade didn't pass.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wall St, moral/ethical compass?

If they didn't do the Paulsen deal, was not in their best intere$t, not because of any pangs of conscience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    both can be true at the same time, or one because of the other

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SEC colluded with banks to minimize their CDO exposure:

Back in 2011, I asked whether the SEC was colluding with banks on CDO prosecutions. And now, thanks to an American Lawyer Freedom of Information Request, we have the answer: yes, they were.

This comes as little surprise: it beggared belief, after all, that every bank would end up being prosecuted for one and only one CDO. But now we have chapter and verse: the key precedent, it seems, was the first one, Goldman Sachs.

The SEC filed its case against Goldman and Tourre on April 16, 2010. Three days later Goldman reached out with a $500 million settlement offer, according to an email that Reisner sent Khuzami. Although that proposal was close to the final payment, it took another three months to announce a settlement. As Khuzami described to Kotz, Goldman wanted a global settlement that resolved not just the Abacus investigation but the SEC’s probes into roughly a dozen other Goldman CDOs.

Khuzami didn’t want to give Goldman that public victory. When the SEC and Goldman announced on July 16, 2010, that the investment bank would settle the Abac*us case for $550 million, the SEC said in a press release that the settlement “does not settle any other past, current or future SEC investigations against the firm.”

Khuzami was determined that Goldman’s payment only be linked to ABACUS. “This was not a $550 million settlement for 11 cases,” Khuzami told Kotz. “We may tell Goldman that we are concluding our investigations in these other matters without recommending charges, but that doesn’t mean we’re settling them. And that was an important point for us, because we didn’t want them out there saying, you know, they settled 12 CDO investigations for an average of $30 million each, and, you know, didn’t [Goldman] get a great deal.”

Yet in its statement on the Abacus settlement at the time, Goldman said that the SEC had concluded a review of other CDOs and did not anticipate recommending claims for now.

It’s quite impressive how quickly and accurately Goldman nailed the amount of money that it would have to pay the SEC to settle the case: when it took three months to come to the $550 million settlement, I for one assumed that Goldman had to be dragged kicking and screaming to that point. In fact, however, Goldman was happy to offer half a billion dollars right off the bat. The tough part of the negotiation was not over the Abacus fine — it was over the question of whether the SEC, with the Abacus prosecution successfully under its belt, would then go after Goldman for a dozen other deals which were functionally equivalent.

The answer was a clear no: Goldman might be equally culpable for 11 other deals, but the SEC quietly assured Goldman — but not the public at large — that none of those deals would result in any charges.

And with the Goldman deal now public knowledge, we can assume that the same nod-and-a-wink deal was struck with all the other one-and-only-one CDO bank prosecutions: Citigroup, JP Morgan, Merrill Lynch (which evidently included Bank of America), Mizuho Securities, Wachovia, Wells Fargo, UBS. Add them all up, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there are 100 unprosecuted CDO deals out there, all of whom had victims just as deserving as the ones who got paid out on the prosecuted deals. Basically, there’s a CDO lottery, and, thanks to the way in which the SEC cozied up to the big banks, the average CDO investor has a very small chance of having won it.
    http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmo...-prosecutions/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    more shenanigans from 2008:

To at least one member of the committee, the possibilities of Faissola’s trade seemed wondrous. “This is fantastic,” said Jeremy Bailey, Deutsche’s European chairman of global banking, according to testimony of an executive who later recounted the exchange for an internal disciplinary panel. “You can book a [profit] in front and spread losses over time?” Bailey added. “We should do it for Deutsche Bank.”

Ivor Dunbar, the meeting’s chairman, curbed Bailey’s enthusiasm. “We are not discussing [our] balance sheet here,” he said. (Bailey, through a spokesman, denies he made the remarks.)
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...lion-disappear

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eight years after the financial crisis, the stakes could hardly be higher. Being the biggest bank in Germany makes Deutsche the most important bank in Europe, and the Paschi trial is an uncomfortable reminder that its operations, already with barely enough capital to meet industry standards, are threatened by persistent scandal. Deutsche is also facing investigations into whether it helped clients launder billions out of Russia. This month the bank agreed to pay $7.2 billion to resolve a U.S. probe into its subprime mortgage business, admitting it misled investors. Deutsche has paid more than $9 billion in further fines and settlements related to claims of tax evasion; violating sanctions against Iran, Libya, Syria, Myanmar, and Sudan; rigging the $300 trillion Libor market; and other alleged breaches of the law.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The German financial-markets regulator, known as BaFin, already tried to get to the bottom of the matter, commissioning an independent audit in January 2014.

The ensuing report has never been made public, but Bloomberg Businessweek obtained a copy. It shows that auditors asked Faissola what happened that afternoon in London. Other participants recalled details and dialogue, the report says, but Faissola drew a blank about the event he’d helped run. Broeksmit wasn’t interviewed. On Jan. 26, 2014, the day before the audit began, his body was found at his London home, hanging from a dog leash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Among the casualties was David Rossi, Paschi’s communications chief. At about 9 p.m. on March 6, a bank employee noticed that Rossi was missing from his fourth-floor office. A window had been left open. Authorities found Rossi’s body in a courtyard below. Rossi, 51, wasn’t himself the subject of any inquiries, but his home had been searched two weeks earlier by police. His death was at first ruled a suicide, but the inquest has been reopened based on evidence his wife presented, including security video that shows Rossi fell out backward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deutsche Bank has an $82B hole in its books from decade-old derivatives trades:

http://www.ifre.com/deutsche-bank-ha...73.fullarticle

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deutsche Bank has an $82B hole in its books from decade-old derivatives trades:

http://www.ifre.com/deutsche-bank-ha...73.fullarticle
    I remember when DB basically owned Germany, a unassailable, unquestionable bedrock of the entire German economy.

Rot starts at the top. Who was he? Who were they?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deutche Bank stocks fall 7% in one day, CoCo bonds plunge:

Shares of Deutsche Bank fell 7.2% today in Frankfurt to €9.16, the lowest since they started trading on the Xetra exchange in 1992. They’re now lower than they’d been during its last crisis in 2016. And they’re down 71% from April 2015.

This came after leaked double-whammy revelations the morning: One reported by the Financial Times, that the FDIC had put Deutsche Bank’s US operations on its infamous “Problem Bank List”; and the other one, reported by the Wall Street Journal, that the Fed, as main bank regulator, had walloped the bank last year with a “troubled condition” designation, one of the lowest rankings on its five-level scoring system.
    https://wolfstreet.com/2018/05/31/de...to-record-low/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ANZ, Deutsche Bank and Citigroup face 'criminal cartel' charges

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-44326034

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some rob you with a six gun, some with a fountain pen

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"some rob you with a six gun, some with a fountain pen"

means toys shooting blanks compared to a computer

Hackers Steal Up to $1 Billion From 100 Banks Worldwide
    https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/hackers-steal-up-to--1-billion-from-100-banks-worldwide-400146499798

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deutche Bank stocks fall 7% in one day, CoCo bonds plunge:

https://wolfstreet.com/2018/05/31/de...to-record-low/
    Dang. "troubled condition" is dry burocrat wording for "ate the up"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deutche Bank raided by German prosecutors.

In the trading scheme being investigated on Tuesday, known as " -ex" or dividend stripping, banks and investors would swiftly trade shares of companies around their dividend payout day, blurring stock ownership and allowing multiple parties to falsely reclaim tax rebates on dividends.

The loophole, now closed, has also snowballed into a political scandal, forcing testimony earlier this year from German Chancellor Olaf Scholz.

The probe has long taken on vast dimensions. Government officials say it involves some 100 banks on four continents and at least 1,000 suspects.
    https://money.usnews.com/investing/n...n- -ex-probe

Thread Information