Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting

Tim (Louisville)

Do you know why Tiago Splitter isn't getting any playing time?

Ric Bucher (1:34 PM)

It's essentially this: the Spurs are playing faster and need as much athleticism next to Tim Duncan as they can find. Splitter isn't nearly as agile as DeJuan or as good attacking the offensive glass. They're not the old Spurs, winning with defense. They're more like the Suns than they've ever been -- and winning with it.
    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/36447

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJB is agile?

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    of course he is. definitely more so than splitter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL @ 3 years at waiting for a replacment for Ian's spot on the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a waste.

Master of Information Dr. Gonzo's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know. If Splitter was playing the Spurs could have the best record in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think if Splitter had been able to go through all of training camp without injury he would still be in the same bench seat? I think that is what hurt him the most, Pop probably doesn't feel he has the "corporate knowledge" that McDyess has at the moment and has less trust in him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know. If Splitter was playing the Spurs could have the best record in the NBA.
    yep, best records win championships

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're more like the Suns than they've ever been -- and winning with it.
    Yeah, till playoff time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think if Splitter had been able to go through all of training camp without injury he would still be in the same bench seat? I think that is what hurt him the most, Pop probably doesn't feel he has the "corporate knowledge" that McDyess has at the moment and has less trust in him.
    It's all speculation at this point, but missing camp and the preseason certainly hasn't advanced Tiago's case for playing time. I had been hopeful that we would see an increase in PT between the beginning of January and the All Star break, but now I think it will take an injury to promote him from his current roles as towel waver and human victory cigar.

kick rocks
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ric Bucher

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do have that fear that this team is the '05 Suns - playing a style that is dominating the regular season but will get exposed by a team with length and power up front in a 7 game series.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure that's the real reason Splitter isn't playing; it has nothing to do with his lack of agility.

Popovich is just so enamored with himself, he really believes that success lives or dies with how well the players know his "system." Now, i'm not saying his "system" doesn't matter at all, but players win games, not coaches.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    last year, people were complaining about blair not getting regular PT. now that he gets it, people are complaining about splitter.

maybe you'd rather it come instead of mcdyess or (especially) bonner - but both of those guys are playing their roles too well right now to criticize their minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is off-topic, but....nice avatar. The "Dollars" movies are some of my favorite films ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure that's the real reason Splitter isn't playing; it has nothing to do with his lack of agility.

Popovich is just so enamored with himself, he really believes that success lives or dies with how well the players know his "system." Now, i'm not saying his "system" doesn't matter at all, but players win games, not coaches.
    Yeh Blair gets a lot of run too - seems some nights the better he plays early on as well the more he also waves the towels at the end while teams rebound like crazy against the Spurs to keep the games compe ive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bucher's opinion.
    It seems to me that Dice is a better option in Pop's mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a waste because the team spent quite a bit of money to bring him here and he hardly plays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a feeling the All-Star break will include a mini training camp for Tiago. Pop has given up on trying to force him to learn during game time, so he's just gonna shut it down until the break, at which point he'll have enough time to ingrain in him whatever he has failed to show thus far. And then, he will start getting minutes off the bench until he ultimately is our starting center.

Or, none of those things will happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If what Bucher said was true, Tiago would be Tim's primary backup. It's really an issue where 4 other bigs know all the nuances of Pop's schemes, and where they need to be at all times, and Tiago doesn't. That's it.

hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's the best coach in the game.

hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    goddam what a failure this is gonna be if we flame out like the Suns in the PO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wicked burn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a waste because the team spent quite a bit of money to bring him here and he hardly plays.
    whats to complain when we are winning man....u try different probabilities and different lineups when loosing games....maybe tiago sucks in practice....maybe tiago is a slow learner...

Thread Information