Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't see this posted... though I remember a similar article that did a ranking for all-time players... This year's record will certainly boost both Duncan's, Parker's and Ginobili's hard-earned numbers... These guys just play to win.

Sports is all about winning. We define our team by their win-loss record. We define a coach by his career winning percentage.

If a player has a horrible game, but hits the game-winning shot, all is forgotten and he is the hero. If a player has a great game, but misses two free throws in the closing seconds, he has failed.

If a team turns the ball over 25 times but comes away with a win, we are happy. If a team hits 20 three-pointers but loses the game, we are not.

But, for some reason, we don't pay attention to the winning percentage of NBA players. I have never seen any statistics on the matter.

So, I decided to find out which current NBA players have the highest career winning percentage. I calculated the individual winning percentage of every NBA player that has played in at least 500 games.

To qualify for the team's win or loss, the player must have played in the game.

So, lets get to the results...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...centage#page/1

Pounding the Rock. Believe! Dark Matter's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sweet!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No offense to the OP, but those stats are kind of dumb, especially since the Spurs players have overlapping careers on the same team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bragging rights?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony Parker has the best Playoff winning percentage of those players listed @ .695.

Manu has the best Regular Season winning percentage @ .716 and that is what puts him higher than Parker on the combined totals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't make the slideshow work, what's the ranking?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't make the slideshow work, what's the ranking?
    It's a manual lide show. See "next" and "previous" buttons top right corner. If a pop-up appears just refresh the screen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for those who are having trouble its

1. manu
    2. parker
    3. timmy
    4. shaq
    5. kobe
    6. fisher
    7. dirk
    8. nash
    9. lebron
    10. amare

this is all just current players - i'd be interested to see how they rank all-time.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nice read.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. manu
    2. parker
    3. timmy
    4. shaq
    5. kobe
    6. fisher
    7. dirk
    8. nash
    9. lebron
    10. amare

this is all just current players - i'd be interested to see how they rank all-time.

what about the numbers? and yeah the slide won't work for me... not even manual.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    e

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. manu
    2. parker
    3. timmy
    4. shaq
    5. kobe
    6. fisher
    7. dirk
    8. nash
    9. lebron
    10. amare

This confirms the status of Manu as the winningest player as well as the smartest player in all of Hoopsworld!!!!

Manu rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn that's ign amazing

ROFL amare can eat a

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't get the site to work

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imagine how many championships philjax would've won with these guys.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This confirms the status of Manu as the winningest player as well as the smartest player in all of Hoopsworld!!!!

Manu rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You do realize that Ginobili being first is due in large part to Duncan, right? Ginobili, like Parker, got to join an established, elite team from day one and play with the best player in the world.

Like greyforest, I'd like to see all-time winning percentages and all-time total wins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like greyforest, I'd like to see all-time winning percentages and all-time total wins.
    Bill Simmons took a look at this subject back in May, 2009:

Q: The NBA should start keeping track of players' winning percentages. Wouldn't this give us at least a decent idea for who are the biggest "winners" in not just basketball but in all sports?
    -- Stephen, Baltimore

SG: Very cool idea. I brought out the heavy hitters for this one (Steve Hirdt and the Elias Sports Bureau) and asked them to check the following 14 guys. Here's what they found.

ALL-TIME PLAYER WINNING PERCENTAGES
    PLAYER REG. SEASON PLAYOFFS
    Larry Bird .736 .604
    Manu Ginobili .724 .654
    Sam Jones .718 .649
    Bill Russell .717 .648
    Tony Parker .716 .615
    Tim Duncan .712 .631
    Scottie Pippen .688 .654
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar .688 .650
    Magic Johnson .674 .740
    Shaquille O'Neal .672 .601
    Robert Horry .671 .635
    Michael Jordan .659 .665
    Bob Cousy .655 .578
    Jerry West .638 .569

Some follow-up thoughts: First, the Legend! Second, the playoff numbers for the post-merger guys are skewed because there were extra rounds (and easier matchups). Russell's .649 playoff percentage would be like a .725 under today's setup. Third, nobody did more with less than Duncan, and his performance from 2001-03 becomes more remarkable with time; he won 203 games, two MVPs and an NBA le playing with role players, has-beens, castoffs and young guys who weren't quite ready. Incredible. Fourth, Robert Horry's career is going to be studied for months by John Hollinger's perplexed great-great-great-great-grandchildren in the 2100s, and ultimately they're going to throw their hands up, shake their heads and move on to a topic that actually makes sense. And fifth, the Legend!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...2&sportCat=nba

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bill Simmons took a look at this subject back in May, 2009:

Q: The NBA should start keeping track of players' winning percentages. Wouldn't this give us at least a decent idea for who are the biggest "winners" in not just basketball but in all sports?
    -- Stephen, Baltimore

SG: Very cool idea. I brought out the heavy hitters for this one (Steve Hirdt and the Elias Sports Bureau) and asked them to check the following 14 guys. Here's what they found.

ALL-TIME PLAYER WINNING PERCENTAGES
    PLAYER REG. SEASON PLAYOFFS
    Larry Bird .736 .604
    Manu Ginobili .724 .654
    Sam Jones .718 .649
    Bill Russell .717 .648
    Tony Parker .716 .615
    Tim Duncan .712 .631
    Scottie Pippen .688 .654
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar .688 .650
    Magic Johnson .674 .740
    Shaquille O'Neal .672 .601
    Robert Horry .671 .635
    Michael Jordan .659 .665
    Bob Cousy .655 .578
    Jerry West .638 .569

Some follow-up thoughts: First, the Legend! Second, the playoff numbers for the post-merger guys are skewed because there were extra rounds (and easier matchups). Russell's .649 playoff percentage would be like a .725 under today's setup. Third, nobody did more with less than Duncan, and his performance from 2001-03 becomes more remarkable with time; he won 203 games, two MVPs and an NBA le playing with role players, has-beens, castoffs and young guys who weren't quite ready. Incredible. Fourth, Robert Horry's career is going to be studied for months by John Hollinger's perplexed great-great-great-great-grandchildren in the 2100s, and ultimately they're going to throw their hands up, shake their heads and move on to a topic that actually makes sense. And fifth, the Legend!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...2&sportCat=nba
    Now that you bring this to my attention, I do remember reading this at the time. Forgot about it, though.

But it doesn't have total wins. I'd like to see where Duncan ranks on the all-time in regular season, playoff and combined regular season and playoff wins.

Simmons is right. The average fan has this idea that Duncan has always had a lot of help, but it's just not true. He was just so great that he was able to make this team better than it should have been for a long time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now that you bring this to my attention, I do remember reading this at the time. Forgot about it, though.

But it doesn't have total wins. I'd like to see where Duncan ranks on the all-time in regular season, playoff and combined regular season and playoff wins.

Simmons is right. The average fan has this idea that Duncan has always had a lot of help, but it's just not true. He was just so great that he was able to make this team better than it should have been for a long time.
    B-R lets you search back to 1986 for the regular season and 1991 for the playoffs:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...=&order_by=pts

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...=&order_by=pts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No offense to the OP, but those stats are kind of dumb, especially since the Spurs players have overlapping careers on the same team.
    The Spurs do better when all three play (obvious)... The impact of having lost Manu to stress fractures and the such hurt Duncan's and Parker's percentages... and vice versa...

In the end though, Manu's heart, all-out-style and his will to win are reflected on the scoreboard... and hence the phenomenal winning percentage...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So pretty much Manu and Tony have been just lucky to play with Duncan.......interesting...poor scrubs, without Tim are nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the end though, Manu's heart, all-out-style and his will to win are reflected on the scoreboard... and hence the phenomenal winning percentage...

I absolutely love what Manu brings to the game, but his phenomenal winning percentage is overwhelmingly the result of being a teammate of Tim Duncan for his entire career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I absolutely love what Manu brings to the game, but his phenomenal winning percentage is overwhelmingly the result of being a teammate of Tim Duncan for his entire career.
    People would be stupid not to include that as a primary factor...

that said...

Ginobili has been doing his thing in every league he's played in... at every level... on every team he's been on...

He's the consumate compe or.
    Last edited by Phenomanul; 01-14-2011 at 12:59 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People would be stupid not to include that as a primary factor...

that said...

Ginobili has been doing his thing in every league he's played in... at every level... on every team he's been on...

He's the consumate compe or.
    As I said, I fully appreciate what Manu brings to every game he plays, but Duncan would be near the top of this list without Manu. The reverse.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I said, I fully appreciate what Manu brings to every game he plays, but Duncan would be near the top of this list without Manu. The reverse.....
    Ginobili is smart enough to know how to get the best from his teammates... he knew that Duncan was the team's bread and butter and played to that strength [and we should all be thankful Pop's the guy who can keep it all turning... due mostly to the at udes of the big three... and Duncan's selflessness...] Nothing exemplefies those attributes more than a couple of memorable plays between Duncan and Ginobili... the pass and game winning bucket against the Sonics in 2005, and the pass to Timmy at the 3pt line to take the game to OT against the Suns in GM1 of 2008 (where Manu scored the game-winner).

Not many players of Ginobili's caliber would slide to the 6th man role for the good of the team, without complaint... Ginobili did, because he understood that in the long run that's what would help the team win.

so many things....

I'm not really disagreeing with your premise more so than underscoring why Ginobili has a win-share of his own right.

Thread Information