Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patriot Act Up For Renewal, Nobody Notices

"When the Patriot Act was first signed in 2001, it was billed as a temporary measure required because of the extreme cir stances created by the terrorist threat. The fear from its opponents was that executive power, once given, is seldom relinquished. Now the Examiner reports that on January 5th, Rep. Mike Rogers (R-MI) introduced a bill to add yet another year to the soon-to-be-expiring Patriot Act, extending it until February, 2012, with passage likely to happen after little debate or contention. If passed, this would be the second time the Obama administration has punted on campaign promises to roll back excessive surveillance measures allowed under the act. Last year's extension passed under the heading of the Medicare Physician Payment Reform Act. 'Given the very limited number of days Congress has in session before the current deadline, and the fact that the bill's Republican sponsor is only seeking another year, I think it's safe to read this as signaling an agreement across the aisle to put the issue off yet again,' writes Julian Sanchez."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting......I had no idea it had an expiration date.

I guess the reason being is that we all be destroyed in 2012 anyway.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wager it gets extended.

Janet Incompetano won't let go of the powah!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well, the bill to extend it was introduced by Rep. Mike Rogers (R-MI).
    But yeah, nobody wants to look 'soft on terror', I bet.
    On the flipside, by the whole silence surrounding this, it seems nobody wants to assume paternity of this bas child.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Republicans will have the chance to put an end to it next year. Will they?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Patriot Act substantially expires in May 2015.

When the new Congress takes up its reauthorization, mere months after convening, members will be forced to decide what to do about Section 215 of the law, the provision cited by the NSA to justify logging most every telephone call made by Americans.

With Republicans controlling both the Senate and the House, the GOP faces a stark choice. Is a party that purports to favor cons utional conservatism and limited government going to ratify mass surveillance that makes a mockery of the Fourth Amendment? Will Mitch McConnell endorse a policy wherein the Obama administration logs and stores every telephone number dialed or received by Roger Ailes of Fox News, Wayne LaPierre of the NRA, the Koch brothers, the head of every pro-life organization in America, and every member of the Tea Party? Is the GOP House going to sacrifice the privacy of all its cons uents to NSA spying that embodies the generalized warrants so abhorrent to the founders?
    http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...rivacy/382488/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Senate Republicans block bill pushing for NSA overhaul

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/s...e+Raw+Story%29

otherwise, the Old Lesbian From SC says ISIS will come to kill us all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parts of the Patriot Act set to expire on June 1.

The US Congress should let them die: the electronic dragnet hasn't prevented a single attack and has proven to be of marginal utility for investigators.

The predictable drumbeat of dire warnings about what will happen if portions of the Patriot Act – the post-9/11 law being used to conduct controversial NSA dragnet surveillance – are allowed to expire on June 1 has already begun.

James Clapper, the director of national intelligence, issued what is likely to be the first of many vague warnings from the intelligence community on Monday. Faced with the expiration of the part of the Patriot Act that allows the bulk collection of information about Americans' phone calls, Clapper brought out the favored hypothetical of the surveillance hawk: An unspecified attack will occur, which would have been prevented if Congress had reauthorized the dragnet collection of Americans' phone calls.

"If that tool is taken away from us... and some untoward incident happens that could have been thwarted if we had had it," Clapper said, "I hope that everyone involved in that decision assumes the responsibility."

There's just one problem with this particular bit of emotional blackmail, however. The pesky, rather inconvenient fact is that the government's mass surveillance programs operating under Section 215 of the Patriot Act have never stopped an act of terrorism. That is not the opinion of the NSA's most ardent critics, but rather the findings of the president's own review board and the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board. This program has had over a decade to prove its value, and yet there is no evidence that it has helped identify a terrorism suspect or "made a concrete different in the outcome of a counterterrorism investigation."
    https://www.aclu.org/blog/national-s...e-terrorist-at

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McConnell to fast track a bill that preserves the PATRIOT Act without changes:

The bill, cosponsored by Senate Intelligence Chairman Richard Burr, would extend the expiring Section 215 of the Patriot Act until December 31, 2020, thus preserving the legal justification the NSA relies on to collect Americans' phone metadata—the numbers, time-stamps, and duration of a call, but not its content.
    http://www.nationaljournal.com/congr...pying-20150422

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absent far-reaching reform, we think that Section 215 should sunset.
    http://www.nationaljournal.com/congr...-bill-20150422

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've written my three congress people.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Officials Knew the Legal Basis for an NSA Spying Program Was Bull

A formerly-secret report on the NSA’s warrantless surveillance was published yesterday evening. It’s a detailed look into the history of the Stellarwind surveillance program—one that makes it clear that government officials repeatedly questioned its legality and efficacy.

Stellarwind was the code name for the President’s Surveillance Program, a wide-reaching information-gathering effort started by then-President George W. Bush after 9/11.

The report was written by inspectors general from five different government agencies in 2009, but kept classified (aside from a heavily truncated version) until last night, when it was released following a Freedom of Information Act request from the New York Times.

Though some parts remain redacted, the report provides damning evidence that the Stellarwind program had a soggy, flawed legal basis, that the intense secrecy surrounding the program made it less effective, and that it’s still hard to pinpoint if snooping on millions of Americans actually stopped any terrorist plots.

The report highlights, for instance, that government officials knew that Justice Department lawyer John C. Yoo’s memo on the legal basis of the program was flat-out wrong.

Yoo justified the lack of warrants by citing the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act’s exception that permits warrantless national-security wiretaps during wartime. The (big, fat, awful, and obvious) problem with Yoo’s justification: That exception is only for the first fifteen days of war.

Yoo’s replacement, Patrick Philbin, quickly realized that Stellarwind’s legal justification was crap, and the report details how FBI General Counsel Valerie Caproni, Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legal Counsel Jack Goldsmith, and Justice Department lawyer James A. Baker all questioned its legality.

Eventually, officials revised and narrowed the scope of Stellarwinds, but it’s remarkable that a program so obviously founded under dubious legal cir stances went on for almost a decade.

You can read the entire report online, thanks to the New York Times.

http://gizmodo.com/declassified-repo...+%28Gizmodo%29

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    tl;dr: The bill that Joe Biden wrote in 1995 and Dianne Feinstein co-sponsored multiple times actually turned out to be illegal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

More like Mitch McConnell. Nice try!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patriot Act Faces Revisions Backed by Both Parties

On Thursday, a bill that would overhaul the Patriot Act and curtail the so-called metadata surveillance exposed by Edward J. Snowden was overwhelmingly passed by the House Judiciary Committee and was heading to almost certain passage in that chamber this month.

An identical bill in the Senate — introduced with the support of five Republicans — is gaining support over the objection of Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky, who is facing the prospect of his first policy defeat since ascending this year to majority leader.

The push for reform is the strongest demonstration yet of a decade-long shift from a singular focus on national security at the expense of civil liberties to a new balance in the post-Snowden era.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/01...ties.html?_r=0

I doubt the tea baggers will support ANYTHING, so it this charade of "we Congresscritters give a about privacy" will probably not become law. If it were enacted, the Deep State would laugh its ass off and keep on snooping as before, and worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patriot Act extension and the USA Freedom Act fail to pass US Senate, all provisions of the former are set to expire at midnight on Sunday:

Section 215, best known as the authority behind the NSA’s most infamous domestic spying program—the very first of Edward Snowden’s leaked revelations—will no longer be used to collect Americans' phone records in bulk. That specific program is by all accounts doomed: The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) told the National Security Agency to start winding the program down by last Friday, and for the first time, the agency finally didn’t bother to submit a legal request to reauthorize the program for another 90-day period.
    http://www.dailydot.com/politics/pat...pire-what-now/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patriot Act extension and the USA Freedom Act fail to pass US Senate, all provisions of the former are set to expire at midnight on Sunday:

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/pat...pire-what-now/
    McConnell proving the Repugs can govern!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so much for the Deep State controlling everything that happens. political momentum has swung against domestic surveillance. that won't stop it completely, but it's nice to know DOJ is already scaling back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so much for the Deep State controlling everything that happens. political momentum has swung against domestic surveillance. that won't stop it completely, but it's nice to know DOJ is already scaling back.
    the Deep State is, will be UNTOUCHED by whatever TF Congress does.

the vacuuming of EVERYTHING will continue, and will also be given secretly to local police forces, etc, etc "without attribution". CIA has the MASSIVE data vault in UTAH just waiting for terabytes of yout data.

But somehow, the surveillance/security state just can't catch Wall St criminals, wealthy/BigCorp tax evaders, or do "predictive policing" on the financial sector.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBC News White House correspondent Kristen Welker pressed Obama administration press secretary Josh Earnest three times for a specific example of a time when the NSA's bulk collection metadata program was used as part of an investigation which prevented a terrorist attack, and three times Earnest refused.
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...an_attack.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama said in his address that these "tools are not controversial," even though there are currently several lawsuits, including several by the American Civil Liberties Union, attempting to end unwarranted bulk data collection completely.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ob...ticle/2565290#

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From somewhere else:

In order to keep America safe, does anyone know where I can send my emails and phone records to until this whole misunderstanding is resolved? I'd hate for a terrorist to get me because my information was private.

Thread Information