My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm worried that Splitter will lose minutes to him, even if he's healthy for training camp. Bonner and Tim don't really lose minutes to anyone, and Idk how good Pop will be at playing a 5-man big rotation, especially in the '12 playoffs.

On another note, has anyone found rhyme or reason to the minutes Pop is giving Splitter? He had 5 against LAL when everyone was healthy, 15 against Denver with Bonner out, and then 1 min against the Raptors, with Bonner STILL out. It just makes no ing sense, seeing how much time Splitter played earlier in the season with Bonner out.

I know the 3 bigs who did play against Toronto played really well (except Timmy), but I don't see how Splitter getting 10+ minutes would have been so wrong. He could have regained some confidence against a weak frontline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Dice decides not to retire than he wouldn't have to re-sign. He is still under contract through 2012.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having too much talent is a good problem to have, much better than the opposite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, my bad. And I take that back, Splitter will just have to prove to Pop that he can treat Dice next year like he did Theo in '09-'10, ie a bunch of DNPs. I want a defensive vet to always be on this team with TD, Timmy will only have two young guys and Matt if Dice retires. Maybe Splitter will prove to Pop he can fit the defensive big role at some point this season, and Dice can retire. I'm a realist though, so I seriously doubt that happening.

Responding to DesgnatedT above, btw.

To Mel13: that is a good point, I just feel paranoid that Splitter will be under-utilized 2 years in a row, I hope I'm wayyyyy off base.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next season, with a year under his belt, Splitter should have a great opportunity to flip flop roles with Dice, if not even compete for a starting job.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dice's biggest problem is that he might be mentally drained. Physically I think theres no doubt he could play another season or 2 but he may want to just relax with his family after such a illustrious career. However, if he does decide to come back for one more season, I think thats wonderful news for the Spurs. In no way is this a negative thing, infact I think we'll be super lucky if he decides to play another year because he really convinced me he was done.

With that said, Dice minutes will be even more limited and is likely going to be given the Tony Massengburg/Kevin Willis type minutes. With Splitter, he'll once again have to earn his minutes and hopefully with a full training camp and preseason + year 1 under his belt, it'll work out much better for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dice doesn't seem like a guy that needs big minutes to stay happy. If Splitter starts contributing next year, Dice will sit on the bench and help out where he can.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if Dice sticks around I imagine he'd assume a role similar to the one Robert Horry did in his twilight years. Which basically means staying rested and healthy for the playoffs. Also don't forget about Duncan since he ain't getting younger too and I expect his minutes to drop to another career low next year.

The main problem with Splitter imo is that he came in the NBA injured and fatigued, thus missing out on the vital offseason training and struggling to perform in the season. He hopefully won't have that problem next summer plus he's getting valuable experience now that he's finally in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'Dyess has given every indication he's retiring. He's stated as much in both serious and random conversation and he's also made it known that if not for the Spurs' interest in bringing him to SA, he would have likely retired then.

But if for some reason he changes his mind, that's a great problem to have . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'Dyess has given every indication he's retiring. He's stated as much in both serious and random conversation and he's also made it known that if not for the Spurs' interest in bringing him to SA, he would have likely retired then.

But if for some reason he changes his mind, that's a great problem to have . . .
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Recent quotes from Dice:
    “If I could play here another year,” McDyess said, “I would definitely contemplate it.”
    On if he's leaving the door open on retirement:
    “I’m not going to say never,” McDyess said.
    On spending another year with the Spurs:
    “It’s like heaven, because they ain’t trying to kill you,” McDyess said. “It would be easy to do another year here.”
    “This team has been great to me, and Pop has been great to me,” McDyess said. “If he needed me, and asked me to come back, I would definitely have to think about it.”
    http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...tirement-plan/

Honestly, I expect him to retire as well, but this is the first indications he's ever given that he might consider otherwise. And frankly, as well as he is playing, and as well as the Spurs are doing, whose to say the old vet doesn't have a change of heart.

I don't even worry about his diminishing skills at that point. He is a perfect locker room guy and team veteran, and you keep him on the team even if he isn't playing minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll retire after this season.

with a ring of course

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hadn't seen that Dex.

He seemed pretty content with it and ready to go but there's no doubt that he could still help any team out there if he decided to put off retirement.

I expect him to retire but I'm an avid enough fight fan and have followed too many athletes over the years to say never. And the with the way Pop treats his vets, it'd almost be crazy to think a player like 'Dyess wouldn't at least re-think things.

But I don't think he'd go anywhere else and from what I've read and heard about him and his decision to originally come to SA, the Spurs are the only reason he's still playing and would even consider to continue playing -- and I'd love for him to come back.

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've always liked Dice. Even when he was a Spurskiller. I hope he stays as long as he can. He's obviously doing great this year. I wish we'd gotten him 5 years prior to when we actually got him. I could really care less about splitter right now. He makes Oberto look like Kareem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we win it all, Dice will retire. If we make it deep into the playoffs but somehow stumble, he might consider coming back.

On another note, has anyone found rhyme or reason to the minutes Pop is giving Splitter? He had 5 against LAL when everyone was healthy, 15 against Denver with Bonner out, and then 1 min against the Raptors, with Bonner STILL out. It just makes no ing sense, seeing how much time Splitter played earlier in the season with Bonner out.

I know the 3 bigs who did play against Toronto played really well (except Timmy), but I don't see how Splitter getting 10+ minutes would have been so wrong. He could have regained some confidence against a weak frontline.
    Yes. I have found rhyme and reason. Pop has seen Splitter play and he sucks. His 7 minutes against LA were a disaster. He was abused defensively, missed both his shots, went 2-4 from the line, and committed 4 fouls. After that game he had 2 weeks of DNP-CDs and garbage time minutes. He saw limited time in the Dallas and Denver games and was unimpressive. Dude belongs exactly where Pop has him this year. I just can't see this kid, with no jump shot outside of 8 feet and a weak post game where he throws up spinners from his hip, as ever developing into an NBA starter.

Thread Information