Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gah, built-in speakers, I just cried on the inside.

What type of audio set-up do you guys run when gaming? That buttkicker thread I started died a quick death which kind of surprised me. I figured one or two of you s had given it a whirl at some point.

There are very few games that have solid audio mixes. BC2 is one of them and I just got around to playing it. It's often overlooked, but quality sound enhances the experience for me.

I also give a long cry whenever I go over to AVS and look at some of their theater builds. Why can't I game on a 14' screen hitting 110 dBs?
    I run a decent Onyoko HTIB I've had for years. Its not amazing but it gets the job done and now that I no longer have my own four walls it is really moot since I'm afraid to turn it up. We only really have one neighbor (one lady next to us is deaf and the other just use their condo as a vacation home) but she can already hear me when I watch Spurs games so I'd feel bad if I turned it up very much at other times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, I thought it was impossible for Koriwhat to be bukaked so hard yet again, but I was wrong.

One day dude is going to slit those wrists and we'll all know why.

Che cazzo stai dicendo? DisgruntledLionFan#54,927's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Yeah, the multi-unit living would bug the out of me. I watch and play at near reference levels.

There is no way you could do that with paper-thin walls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The walls aren't even that thin, but I'm still afraid. Its not like an apartment, but its definitely not like a stand alone unit either. She's never complained and the only time I've ever heard her is during the OU bowl game when she was going nuts, but I just get self conscious.

Luckily more games have good DTS tracks which seem to give a better stage at lower volumes than DD. Same thing with most bluray movies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The walls aren't even that thin, but I'm still afraid. Its not like an apartment, but its definitely not like a stand alone unit either. She's never complained and the only time I've ever heard her is during the OU bowl game when she was going nuts, but I just get self conscious.

Luckily more games have good DTS tracks which seem to give a better stage at lower volumes than DD. Same thing with most bluray movies.
    That's kind of the situation I'm in, Manny.

I have a pretty wicked HT setup, actually. I'm running two Mirage 12 series omnipolar tower speakers with a BIC center channel and two big insignia surrounds. I don't even run a sub, the 8 ohm Mirage's generate so much bass that a sub is completely unnecessary, but I'm reaaaallllly careful about turning it up through the week. I don't want to bother people.

At least your neighbor is a sports fan, so that means she enjoys cheering/going crazy at times.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    DTS does run hotter than DD for whatever reason.

And louder usually sounds better to most ears.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    That's kind of the situation I'm in, Manny.

I have a pretty wicked HT setup, actually. I'm running two Mirage 12 series omnipolar tower speakers with a BIC center channel and two big insignia surrounds. I don't even run a sub, the 8 ohm Mirage's generate so much bass that a sub is completely unnecessary, but I'm reaaaallllly careful about turning it up through the week. I don't want to bother people.

At least your neighbor is a sports fan, so that means she enjoys cheering/going crazy at times.
    It's totally dependent on user and what you're trying to accomplish, but most mains today do present bass well. It's just that they aren't made to provide all of the bass i.e they roll off higher than you'd want.

For HT, a sub is essential IMO. As an example, you're getting virtually no content below 35 Hz with those Mirages. And the list of movies that use sub 30 content grows daily.

But like anything else, it's a compromise and as long as your content, that's all that really matters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's totally dependent on user and what you're trying to accomplish, but most mains today do present bass well. It's just that they aren't made to provide all of the bass i.e they roll off higher than you'd want.

For HT, a sub is essential IMO. As an example, you're getting virtually no content below 35 Hz with those Mirages. And the list of movies that use sub 30 content grows daily.

But like anything else, it's a compromise and as long as your content, that's all that really matters.
    The Mirage's are actually rated down to 18hz. I'm aware that they probably don't produce sound nearly as well at that frequency, but the bass is simply incredible.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I must of confused them with other Mirages I've heard.

I didn't realize any of them went that deep.

I'd love to run them and see how they'd stack up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I must of confused them with other Mirages I've heard.

I didn't realize any of them went that deep.

I'd love to run them and see how they'd stack up.
    Band of Brothers on Blu-Ray is a mind-altering experience. I think I'm going to try setting my new rig up to my HT and play Bad Company 2, just to experience it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all monitors/lcd/plasmas these days come from the same factory back in china anyway, its up to you to decide what brand you wanna go with, and the warranty crap who is better with customer service when u run into faults with the product....

then again im fussy when it comes to lead-time with RMA products, might as well go out get a new monitor if one s up since they are dirt cheap
    Last edited by TDMVPDPOY; 01-26-2011 at 12:12 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all monitors/lcd/plasmas these days come from the same factory back in china anyway, its up to you to decide what brand you wanna go with, and the warranty crap who is better with customer service when u run into faults with the product....
    One thing that made me go with the 6950 vid card is that it offers a double lifetime warranty (parts and labor). Can't beat that. Wish they offered that for computer displays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And it's at my doorstep.

Today is going to be the longest day of work in my life.

I'll be posting pics tonight as I put it together.

Kooler than Jesus Nathan Explosion's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the multi-unit living would bug the out of me. I watch and play at near reference levels.

There is no way you could do that with paper-thin walls.
    My problem is that I have 2 young kids, so I couldn't turn up a surround sound system even if I wanted to as I do most of my gaming and movie watching when they're asleep, so I can concentrate.

I also want a speaker sound bar. I can't afford wireless, and I don't want my kids messing with the wires. A speaker bar should suit my needs just fine. That way I get much better sound (TV speakers are so crap) without having to crank up the volume too much.

My thing right now is I want 3 things between $150-$200 and I have to decide which one I can't wait on. I want the monitor (probably will wait), the speaker bar, and another Wii just so I can play Tiger Woods golf and Super Mario Wii. My kids have completely taken over my Wii, and while I play my 360 more, sometimes I wouldn't mind putting in 18 holes. I'm leaning towards the Wii as it's the most expensive of them all and something I can buy right away. Plus, I'm keeping that Wii in my room so I can play a few holes while keeping my kids away.

nnj u7yhbameliejhnnnnnnbbtyftvvvbbhgjjuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuu

^My 2 year old daughter decided to contribute something to my post. Can you see her name? I had her spell it out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're going to golf, get the Ps3 and the Move. Far, far better controls than the Wii. They aren't even in the same hemisphere of accuracy. Move golfing would feel almost like real golfing, IMO.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I can never wait. I get the idea in my head and usually it's a done deal before I know what happened.

The only thing stopping me from adding another subwoofer is having to pay my property taxes in the next few weeks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can never wait. I get the idea in my head and usually it's a done deal before I know what happened.

The only thing stopping me from adding another subwoofer is having to pay my property taxes in the next few weeks.
    sell one of the property to avoid taxes, pay ur capital gains, keep the money and buy new equips...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're going to golf, get the Ps3 and the Move. Far, far better controls than the Wii. They aren't even in the same hemisphere of accuracy. Move golfing would feel almost like real golfing, IMO.
    I have a Wii and I have the games. Getting a PS3 and a Move is just a needless expense for me. Getting another $200 Wii to go with the games I already have is a much better option.

Besides, if I want something that's really like golf, I'll drop the kids off at my mom's, get my clubs and go play golf.
    Last edited by Nathan Explosion; 01-26-2011 at 12:42 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, getting a PS3 wouldn't solve my problem of playing the Super Mario Wii game that I have but am unable to play because my son plays Mario Kart whenever I turn on the Wii.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I've gotten better about this in recent years but I completely understand. Just recently in Drachen's nook thread I realized how much better about it I had gotten when I spent 2 days researching tablets and decided against actually getting one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've gotten better about this in recent years but I completely understand. Just recently in Drachen's nook thread I realized how much better about it I had gotten when I spent 2 days researching tablets and decided against actually getting one.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I've done a complete 180 on the Kindle, because of school. I'm just looking for one that does what it's supposed to do, and nothing more either, so the Kindle seems just right. Plus, it looks like Amazon has text books in electronic form, for MUCH cheaper than a textbook, so that should definitely save me some money in the long run.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    You do get better about it as you get older. I used to spend money like water on that I only used for a short time.

You also learn to prioritize much, much better. I know many will think that adding one expensive sub is a luxury, let alone two, and not needed but it's something I enjoy and will use on a daily basis(unlike a hat and gloves for a dude living in NM).

Don't like it? Go yourself.

Plus, it's just me and probably will be that way for the foreseeable future. That tends to keep other frivolous spending at a minimum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah you should spend your money on whatever you enjoy. Now that I'm just working part time and going to school I definitely have to prioritize, however.

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    for those who have thin walls and want to blast their PC :

buy acoustic foam and put it on your walls. that's what I did for my PC room. it comes in different colors or designs and it actually makes the room look cooler

put it all over the walls in the room.

problem solved

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I had a room just for home theater then I'd probably not be living next to other people. Just saying.

Thread Information