Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Labor force at the lowest level since 1984????

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/lab...sh-26-year-low

I've got work for someone actually interested in it......

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Today’s Job Report: Unemployed Far More Likely to Drop Out Than Find a Job

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    14-15 trillion in debt, yeah it's that bad. Barry needs to stop that clock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thing the Dems focused all their energy on the issue most important to Americans -- health care.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Midwest is having a hard time finding employees.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thing the Dems focused all their energy on the issue most important to Americans -- health care.
    That fix had to be attempted. The Repugs screwed it up badly.

What are House Repugs doing about the the economy and jobs? Nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what can they do

donkey in white house
    sentate is controled by donkeys also

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What was the Republican job plan, Darrin?

Be specific.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Note long, flat, stagnant -brown line starting in2001 belongs to the Repugs, with their tax cuts paying for themselves and causing economic growth, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Business Doesn't Need American Workers

Once again, the job numbers are dismal. In January, the U.S. economy created just 36,000 domestic jobs, far below the roughly 145,000 that economists had forecast. The unemployment rate fell, to 9 percent, but only because more and more discouraged workers are giving up and leaving the workforce.

The U.S. still has a jobs gap of about 14 million jobs, and that number is increasing as the labor force grows. Counting people who've given up, or who are working part time when they want full time jobs, the real unemployment number is around 17 percent. America now has about 25 million people either out of work or underemployed.

Meanwhile, corporate profits continue to set records. Profits in the third quarter of 2010 were 1.659 trillion, about 28 percent higher than a year before, and the highest year-to-year increase on record.

What's going on? Very simply, America's corporations no longer need America's workers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert...tml?view=print

==============

UCA doesn't need US employees, and don't give about them. They are, in pure economic terms, nothing but expensive costs to be minimized, even eliminated.

Veteran
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    Boutons, did you ever notice that no one ever replies to your posts? And so you know, it's not because you are "dominating" the argument.

You are ing delusional.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Note long, flat, stagnant -brown line starting in2001 belongs to the Repugs, with their tax cuts paying for themselves and causing economic growth, yadda, yadda, yadda.
    Why do you lib s forget the tech bubble bursting after the Y2K scare?

Do you always cherry pick facts that way, or are you really that dumb?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Midwest is having a hard time finding employees.
    When unemployment goes down because hundreds of thousands of people stop looking for work and drop out of the labor force, you respond with personal anecdotes about available jobs and the threadbare inference that it must be because people are lazy. Nice.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    If jobs and pay is there and so is unemployment, what do you think the problem is? Do tell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The jobs and pay aren't there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If jobs and pay is there and so is unemployment, what do you think the problem is? Do tell.
    few jobs for middle class, only unskilled labor in our service-based economy.

the middle class jobs have been largely outsourced.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do you lib s forget the tech bubble bursting after the Y2K scare?
    The Y2K INVESTMENT was co-incident with the Internet stock bubble.

And 6 years the "MBA Whitehouse ( dubya an MBA? ) " and 6 years of Repug rule, and low interest rates, was plenty of time for the Repugs to get the economy moving for EVERYBODY. But, as St Ronnie said, for the Repugs, govt IS the problem, must be destroyed, and can never be a force for good.

The Repugs mismanaged the economy into a hole, where it remains for 95% of the people.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    The jobs and pay aren't there.
    You can take your pick of jobs up here that will give an unskilled worker more than starting teachers. I'm sorry your crowd is too good for that.

I'm not even getting into the oil field or truck driving either.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    few jobs for middle class, only unskilled labor in our service-based economy.

the middle class jobs have been largely outsourced.

So its better to not have a job then do something that one feels is beneath you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can take your pick of jobs up here that will give an unskilled worker more than starting teachers. I'm sorry your crowd is too good for that.
    I'm gainfully employed.
    I'm not even getting into the oil field or truck driving either.
    You've got your own Rust Belt bums to blame for that I suppose. Kindly leave us Texans out of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    14-15 trillion in debt, yeah it's that bad. Barry needs to stop that clock.
    That debt has very very very little to do with the present economy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    American Business: Never had it so good

THE first time the Dow Jones Industrial Average hit 12,000, in October 2006, presenters on CNBC, a business channel, almost caught fire with excitement. When it reached that milestone again on February 1st the reaction was more muted, though the recovery from a low of 6,547 less than two years ago is remarkable, and soaring share prices reflect a corporate America that is leaner and stronger than it was back in 2006.

The current profit-reporting season is shaping up to be one of the best ever. For non-financial firms in the S&P 500, earnings per share are now higher than they have been for at least a decade. With over half of the companies in the S&P 500 having reported, profits in 2010 were up by 17% compared with 2009. (The year-on-year increase is far greater if financial firms are included, since they plunged in 2009 and then rebounded spectacularly.)

In America, rapid sales growth is still only a rumour. In emerging markets, it is a fact. So American firms will continue to expand overseas. “Whereas 2010 was a stabilisation year [for corporate America], 2011 will be a year of investing in laying the foundation for growth,” says Mark Spelman, global head of strategy at Accenture, a consultancy.

That is likely to mean tapping into some of the mountains of cash that American firms have ac ulated over the past few years. The cash piles were at first supposed to provide a safety net in case of another financial disaster. ...

Thanks to recent productivity improvements, corporate America is well placed to turn higher sales directly into higher profits, says Mr Standevad. If not investing in new organic growth, many firms will look to expand their sales through mergers and acquisitions, both at home and in emerging markets.

If, for some reason, they should fail to put their cash mountains to work, investors will demand the cash back through dividends and share buybacks. Indeed, many are already demanding, and receiving, just that. In short, as American firms expand at home and abroad, profits are set to rise and cash holdings to fall. Whether this will help the more than 9% of the American workforce who are unemployed remains to be seen.
    http://www.economist.com/node/18073369

I think all the indicators are that 2011 will see some gains in employment. I still stick to my "weak growth" prediction though.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    The Y2K INVESTMENT was co-incident with the Internet stock bubble.

And 6 years the "MBA Whitehouse ( dubya an MBA? ) " and 6 years of Repug rule, and low interest rates, was plenty of time for the Repugs to get the economy moving for EVERYBODY. But, as St Ronnie said, for the Repugs, govt IS the problem, must be destroyed, and can never be a force for good.

The Repugs mismanaged the economy into a hole, where it remains for 95% of the people.
    If that's what you wish to believe. I know I cannot change your mind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to automatically defend republicans. I just despise your lies. There was far more going on than legislation that the elected republicans in congress did, in fact, they tried to stop many things that lead to out current failures. Too bad your partisan ass doesn't recognize it.

Was it the republicans in congress that changed the short selling rules?

Was it the republicans in congress that defended the lending practices when brought into question?

Think about what you say before you say it. The answer to your question is that it was unelected establishment officials, and democrats that did all this.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "2011 will see some gains in employment"

"some" ain't gonna hack it in the face of 20M+ un/under/mal/employed.

Before globalization, etc took hold, depressions as deep as the current one took many years to recover from. After the similar 1930s Depression (and similar wealth inequality), the economy still wasn't right until the WWII stimulus hit.

So it's not unreasonable to expect the millions of jobs, the level of common wealth, and upward mobility won't recover for 10 years, and probably not then since the VRWC plutocracy is running the government and the country now, and no such govt stimulus is possible (after both the bogus "fiscal conservatives" Reagan and dubya each TRIPLED the national debt).
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 02-07-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Thread Information