Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    congress should make every reasonable effort to protect intellectual property rights.

7 blocks from the white house.

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Laws like this are last gasp efforts by the RIAA and MPAA to stave off irrelevance. Their model is growing less necessary in the internet age, where art can be freely and easily distributed without the need of a studio printing it, marketing it, distributing it, and collecting most of the reward.

This is especially true in the case of music... now your average joe can record a great sounding album all by himself and distribute it however he wants. The archaic process of signing with a record company and having them negotiate with radio conglomerates to play their songs is dying, as it should be.

I am rarely gleeful about people losing their jobs but in this case I am not sad about it either. These days record companies and radio conglomerates stand in the way of more good music than they actually bring to the masses. They limit access and mandate what you hear on the airwaves, not based on quality but based on contracts. It's a process that is inherently anti-art.

It should not be the law's responsibility to protect the RIAA and MPAA from irrelevance. If they are going to survive, it is up to them to:

1. come up with distribution technologies that better prevent mass piracy
    2. price their product such that a consumer feels it is worth paying for, and/or
    3. better incentivize purchase.

Job creation is something worth working for, but we shouldn't be protecting jobs that have no place anymore. Record and film executives who are unable to keep up with shifts in audience habits will just have to find something else to exploit for money.
    tbh, the RIAA needs to be put out of OUR misery for constantly pimping like Kay Perry and various American Idol castoffs.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

7 blocks from the white house.

I see a picture of an outdoor marketplace. Are you suggesting those are illegal copies? If so, what evidence do you have?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    la pulga. all purchases are "as is". warrantability is nil.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    leaving wholly to one side the authenticity of the vendible goods.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    commerce discovers the judgment of consumers as well as any lack of it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (ideally, of course. in the bummer universe, results are often sub-optimal.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Copyright King: Why the "I Have a Dream" Speech Still Isn't Free

Martin Luther King Jr.‘s “I Have a Dream” speech is considered one of the most recognizable collection of words in American history. It’s the rhetorical equivalent of a national treasure or a national park. The National Park Service inscribed it on the Lincoln Memorial and the Library of Congress put it into its National Recording Registry. So we might hold it to be self evident that it can be spread freely.

Not exactly. Any unauthorized usage of the speech and a number of other speeches by King – including in PBS do entaries – is a violation of American law. You’d be hard pressed to find a good complete video version on the web, and it’s not even to be found in the new digital archive of the King Center’s website. If you want to watch the whole thing, legally, you’ll need to get the $20 DVD.
    http://motherboard.vice.com/2012/1/1...ill-isn-t-free

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why?

Does it cost ACDC any money if I make a copy of s Bells?
    Is ACDC cool with you giving a copy to your neighbor for free?

Doubtful, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    la pulga. all purchases are "as is". warrantability is nil.
    Last time I was at one about three years ago, plenty of $5 first run movie bootlegs to go around.

Probably not so much any more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It should not be the law's responsibility to protect the RIAA and MPAA from irrelevance. If they are going to survive, it is up to them to:

1. come up with distribution technologies that better prevent mass piracy
    2. price their product such that a consumer feels it is worth paying for, and/or
    3. better incentivize purchase.
    So you are saying piracy should be legal.

K.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you are saying piracy should be legal.

K.

I don't think it's something that warrants legal involvement unless someone is turning around and selling the bootleg copies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is ACDC cool with you giving a copy to your neighbor for free?

Doubtful, imo.
    Are you serious? They wouldn't give two s about it.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I don't think it's something that warrants legal involvement unless someone is turning around and selling the bootleg copies.
    I see. Not too far off of an example from my understanding:

So if I go to a store, and shoplift a CD and sell it to you, it warrants legal action.

If you shoplift the CD yourself, that's OK?

Just because data isn't necessarily in a physical form, doesn't make the crime any different.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just because data isn't necessarily in a physical form, doesn't make the crime any different.
    It makes it completely different. If you steal a CD from Best Buy, you are stealing from Best Buy, who ordered the CD from a distributor with the intent to sell. That CD would have likely been sold to someone else if you had not stolen it. Instead, Best Buy has lost money from a potential sale.

A music label doesn't lose $10 every time one of their CDs is pirated, or borrowed from a neighbor, or played with stunning accuracy by a live band and put on YouTube.
    Last edited by Spurminator; 01-17-2012 at 03:40 PM.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    It makes it completely different. If you steal a CD from Best Buy, you are stealing from Best Buy, who ordered the CD from a distributor with the intent to sell. That CD would have likely been sold to someone else if you had not stolen it. Instead, Best Buy has lost money from a potential sale.

A music label doesn't lose $10 every time one of their CDs is pirated, or borrowed from a neighbor, or played with stunning accuracy by a live band and put on YouTube.
    Yet is is a lost sale. How many people buy a legal copy after having a bootleg?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet is is a lost sale that will now not occur.
    1. You don't that the person who downloaded the CD would have purchased it if the technology did not exist to download it.

2. People download albums and buy them later all the time.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    1. You don't that the person who downloaded the CD would have purchased it if the technology did not exist to download it.

If you say so. I guess you are an expert of such criminal activities, so I will admit to being ignorant, not having such first hand information.

I'm curious. How many of the CD's, DVD's, etc. do you buy after downloading them first?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you serious? They wouldn't give two s about it.
    I bet they would if one person bought it and then made 10 million copies to give away to 10 million friends.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. Irrelevant

2. Irrelevant

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you say so. I guess you are an expert of such criminal activities, so I will admit to being ignorant, not having such first hand information.
    I'm not an expert, I just have a more justifiable opinion on the matter than you do.

I'm curious. How many of the CD's, DVD's, etc. do you buy after downloading them first?
    I have downloaded more music than any person would conceivably buy in his lifetime. I probably haven't even listened to half of it. But it's there if the urge strikes me.

Most of the CDs I've bought in the last 8 years were downloaded first. In most cases, I want to hear it before committing to purchase. The only exceptions are for my favorite bands when I still like the experience of opening the album and listening to it for the first time off the disc in my car.

I have over 700 CDs in my collection and I subscribe to Spotify. So I'm pretty morally comfortable with my music torrenting habits.

I rarely download movies that are in the theater or available to rent.

Not that any of that matters, but you asked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Rofl trying to justify piracy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Irrelevant

2. Irrelevant
    Says you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rofl trying to justify piracy
    This is ROFL funny? You need to get out more, buddy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have downloaded more music than any person would conceivably buy in his lifetime. I probably haven't even listened to half of it. But it's there if the urge strikes me.

Not that any of that matters, but you asked.
    Do you usually pay for the music downloads?

Thread Information