Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it only looks like a strategy in hindsight. the vast right wing conspiracy you speak of is neither vast nor distinctively right wing. it isn't even a conspiracy, tbh. that's just your fairy tale simplification of the synthetic mass of overdetermined, real world results.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tautology club. if you beg every question, all the answers are easy.
    so you don't have answer

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it only looks like a strategy in hindsight. the vast right wing conspiracy you speak of is neither vast nor distinctively right wing. it isn't even a conspiracy, tbh. that's just your fairy tale simplification of the synthetic mass of overdetermined, real world results.
    some strategies, esp ones kept secret, only become clear in hindsight, and after they are exposed by events. That doesn't invalidate the conspiracy. Then you go back and connect the dots to verify.

Still waiting for your explanation of how America got ed, and how you think you can un it, as if "get the word out" were anything near as effective as pissing into a hurricane.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so you don't have answer
    for the gigantic, overdetermined ball of real world results?

no, I don't.

having pat answers for complex phenomena tallies better with ideology and supers ion than knowledge, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never claimed I could un anything, boutons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    btw, the view from 30,000 feet is bound to miss a few important details.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    btw, the view from 30,000 feet is bound to miss a few important details.
    debating and pissing around with details without the Big Picture from 30K feet is a sterile waste time. I see no evidence here that your detailed debates arrives at any higher perspective, Big Picture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    says you, johnny one note.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Textbook Publisher Pearson Takes Down 1.5 Million Teacher And Student Blogs With A Single DMCA Notice
    from the 38-year-old-content-in-a-5-year-old-post-equals-1.5-million-dead-blogs dept

If there's one thing we've seen plenty of here at Techdirt, it's the damage a single DMCA takedown notice can do. From shuttering a legitimate ebook lending site to removing negative reviews to destroying a user's Flickr account to knocking a copyright attorney's site offline, the DMCA notice continues to be the go-to weapon for copyright defenders. Collateral damage is simply shrugged at and the notices continue to fly at an ever-increasing pace.

Textbook publisher Pearson set off an unfortunate chain of events with a takedown notice issued aimed at a copy of Beck's Hoplessness Scale posted by a teacher on one of Edublogs' websites (You may recall Pearson from such other related copyright nonsense as The $180 Art Book With No Pictures and No Free Textbooks Ever!). The end result? Nearly 1.5 million teacher and student blogs taken offline by Edublogs' host, ServerBeach. James Farmer at wpmu.org fills in the details.
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...a-notice.shtml

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...gaupload-mega/

They call it Mega and describe it as a unique tool that will solve the liability problems faced by cloud storage services, enhance the privacy rights of internet users, and provide themselves with a simple new business. Meanwhile, critics fear that Mega is simply a revamped version of Megaupload, cleverly designed to skirt the old business’s legal issues without addressing the concerns of Internet piracy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outlawed by Amazon DRM

A couple of days a go, my friend Linn sent me an e-mail, being very frustrated: Amazon just closed her account and wiped her Kindle. Without notice. Without explanation. This is DRM at it’s worst.

Linn travels a lot and therefore has, or should I say had, a lot of books on her Kindle, purchased from Amazon. Suddenly, her Kindle was wiped and her account was closed. Being convinced that something wrong had happened, she sent an e-mail to Amazon, asking for help. This was the answer:

http://www.bekkelund.net/2012/10/22/...by-amazon-drm/
    Last edited by velik_m; 10-22-2012 at 09:06 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Six-Strikes “Independent Expert” Is RIAA’s Former Lobbying Firm

Next month the file-sharing habits of millions of BitTorrent users in the United States will be monitored as part of an agreement between the MPAA, RIAA, and all the major ISPs. To guarantee the accuracy of the evidence that will be used for the accusations the parties agreed to hire an impartial and independent technology expert. However, their commitment to this promise is now in doubt as the hired experts have turned out to be a former RIAA lobbying group.
    http://torrentfreak.com/six-strikes-...g-firm-121022/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    foxes> henhouse

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Was Fast: Hollywood Already Browbeat The Republicans Into Retracting Report On Copyright Reform

So, late Friday, we reported on how the Republican Study Committee (the conservative caucus of House Republicans) had put out a surprisingly awesome report about copyright reform. You can read that post to see the details. The report had been fully vetted and reviewed by the RSC before it was released. However, as soon as it was published, the MPAA and RIAA apparently went ballistic and hit the phones hard, demanding that the RSC take down the report. They succeeded.

more: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...t-reform.shtml

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Senate proposal touted as protecting Americans' e-mail privacy has been quietly rewritten, giving government agencies more surveillance power than they possess under current law.

CNET has learned that Patrick Leahy, the influential Democratic chairman of the Senate Judiciary committee, has dramatically reshaped his legislation in response to law enforcement concerns. A vote on his bill, which now authorizes warrantless access to Americans' e-mail, is scheduled for next week.

Revised bill highlights

✭ Grants warrantless access to Americans' electronic correspondence to over 22 federal agencies. Only a subpoena is required, not a search warrant signed by a judge based on probable cause.
    ✭ Permits state and local law enforcement to warrantlessly access Americans' correspondence stored on systems not offered "to the public," including university networks.
    ✭ Authorizes any law enforcement agency to access accounts without a warrant -- or subsequent court review -- if they claim "emergency" situations exist.
    ✭ Says providers "shall notify" law enforcement in advance of any plans to tell their customers that they've been the target of a warrant, order, or subpoena.
    ✭ Delays notification of customers whose accounts have been accessed from 3 days to "10 business days." This notification can be postponed by up to 360 days.

Leahy's rewritten bill would allow more than 22 agencies -- including the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Communications Commission -- to access Americans' e-mail, Google Docs files, Facebook wall posts, and Twitter direct messages without a search warrant. It also would give the FBI and Homeland Security more authority, in some cir stances, to gain full access to Internet accounts without notifying either the owner or a judge. (CNET obtained the revised draft from a source involved in the negotiations with Leahy.)
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...news&tag= le

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Keep voting these authoritarians in, and that's what we get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no crocodile tears for the victims of regulatory alligators?

how marvelously unsentimental, Mr. Wild Cobra.. . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a hard time believing the House will oppose any of this... soft on terror!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Was Fast: Leahy Drops Warrantless E-mail Surveillance Bill

"Under the right conditions, online activism can be very effective. U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy has already abandoned his warrantless e-mail surveillance bill we discussed this morning. 'The Vermont Democrat said today on Twitter that he would "not support such an exception" for warrantless access. ... A vote on the proposal in the Senate Judiciary committee, which Leahy chairs, is scheduled for next Thursday. The amendments were due to be glued onto a subs ute (PDF) to H.R. 2471, which the House of Representatives already has approved. Leahy's about-face comes in response to a deluge of criticism today, including the ACLU saying that warrants should be required, and the conservative group FreedomWorks launching a pe ion to Congress -- with over 2,300 messages sent so far -- led: "Tell Congress: Stay Out of My Email!""

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Keep voting these authoritarians in, and that's what we get.
    You're the one in other threads saying things to the effect of "If you didn't do anything wrong, why are you worried?" and "You don't own the internet pipe, so you shouldn't expect privacy/they shouldn't need a warrant/it's the third parties choice to do what they wish", aren't you?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    You're the one in other threads saying things to the effect of "If you didn't do anything wrong, why are you worried?"
    You are wrong in this case. I challenge you to show otherwise. You have me confused with someone else.
    and "You don't own the internet pipe, so you shouldn't expect privacy/they shouldn't need a warrant/it's the third parties choice to do what they wish", aren't you?
    Now this one, I accept for the most part, except "third party choice." What do you mean by that? It becomes what ever agreement you signed for. Almost all contracts have a third part clause where the owner of you account can share your activity with third parties.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    That Was Fast: Leahy Drops Warrantless E-mail Surveillance Bill

"Under the right conditions, online activism can be very effective. U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy has already abandoned his warrantless e-mail surveillance bill we discussed this morning. 'The Vermont Democrat said today on Twitter that he would "not support such an exception" for warrantless access. ... A vote on the proposal in the Senate Judiciary committee, which Leahy chairs, is scheduled for next Thursday. The amendments were due to be glued onto a subs ute (PDF) to H.R. 2471, which the House of Representatives already has approved. Leahy's about-face comes in response to a deluge of criticism today, including the ACLU saying that warrants should be required, and the conservative group FreedomWorks launching a pe ion to Congress -- with over 2,300 messages sent so far -- led: "Tell Congress: Stay Out of My Email!""
    Is he having senior moments, changing his mind like this, or is he a typical flip-flopper?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he having senior moments, changing his mind like this, or is he a typical flip-flopper?
    I wouldn't know, but I'm sure he'll try again under some 'protect the children from pedos' excuse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Police Raid 9-Year-Old Pirate Bay Girl, Confiscate Winnie The Pooh Laptop

An anti-piracy company has found itself in the middle of a huge controversy. CIAPC, the company that had The Pirate Bay blocked by ISPs in Finland, tracked an alleged file-sharer and demanded a cash settlement. However, the Internet account holder refused to pay which escalated things to an unprecedented level. In response, this week police raided the home of the 9-year-old suspect and confiscated her Winnie the Pooh laptop.
    http://torrentfreak.com/police-raid-...laptop-121122/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information