Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will when the mood strikes me.

As of now, international copyright laws have not had their place in this discussion.
    Actually, the core of this country's copyright legalese is entirely based on international IP agreements, like TRIPs (which I did brought up earlier in this thread, IIRC).

They're not a minor topic, because this new IP Czar has attacked international sites directly, even ones that were declared legal in their respective countries (ie: RojaDirecta). This new IP office also assigns new IP attaches to US embassies abroad, so international enforcement is certainly a core issue, and another waste of money (IMO).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sony Betamax is no longer the gold standard though, after the Grokster case. While the Sony Betamax test hasn't changed, there has been added tests to it after Grokster.

Furthermore, with the advent of the DMCA and the new encrypted media, cir venting the encryption even for making personal copies is a felony.

So the Sony Betamax test should be used with a lot of asterisks these days.
    For the example that LnGrrrR gave, I'm not sure anything has changed regarding copying a broadcast.

Although it seems there is precedent in other situations that would also back up that example, I think I could simply use that ruling in a court of law and it would hold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Viewing the videos is not a crime, and that has nothing to do with knowing/not-knowing the legal status of the video.

Under copyright law, what's penalized is the copy or distribution. The copy happens when you make a copy of the licensed video, the distribution happens when you distribute said copy (upload, stream, email, etc) or even the original licensed video.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, the core of this country's copyright legalese is entirely based on international IP agreements, like TRIPs (which I did brought up earlier in this thread, IIRC).

They're not a minor topic, because this new IP Czar has attacked international sites directly, even ones that were declared legal in their respective countries (ie: RojaDirecta). This new IP office also assigns new IP attaches to US embassies abroad, so international enforcement is certainly a core issue, and another waste of money (IMO).
    Yeah, we base our legalese off of international agreements, but there is no international court of law.

All the examples that have been given in this thread come back to our own court rulings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the other hand, if you actually store the streamed video, you're making another illegal copy....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Viewing the videos is not a crime, and that has nothing to do with knowing/not-knowing the legal status of the video.
    Criminally, no.

Morally, depends on you.

I say if you know you are watching a pirated movie, you are stealing.

Don't mistake that for me being on a soapbox telling anyone what they should or shouldn't do. I don't really care what you do outside of obeying the law. I'm just calling it like I see it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, we base our legalese off of international agreements, but there is no international court of law.
    Well, no, agreements mean that the signatories must implement what was agreed upon in their local legislation. Enforcement is obviously done independently by each country.

They basically describe what the minimum basic requirements of the local law must be. Each country must then implement at least that. Some go further, some don't. Some have stiffer penalties, some don't.

All the examples that have been given in this thread come back to our own court rulings.
    Well, I brought up RojaDirecta as an example because their DNS was hijacked at the same time as channelsurfing. This was done by the US, because their domain registrar was in the US.
    But RojaDirecta was declared legal in Spain... So it's tricky.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Morally, depends on you.
    I'm glad we don't legislate morality... although some might disagree

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I brought up RojaDirecta as an example because their DNS was hijacked at the same time as channelsurfing. This was done by the US, because their domain registrar was in the US.
    But RojaDirecta was declared legal in Spain... So it's tricky.
    huh.

that'll be a good one to watch.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Hey Blake you want to get off your high horse one day so we can have a beer?

I don't support the idea that coping a movie like "no strings attached" just so you can maybe get laid after 90 minutes of pure something to be fined for, in fact you deserve a medal! Besides it's a movie you can't wait to remove from your HD the same as a person going into Wall mart and putting a DVD in their pants. And I will tell you why.

To steal something from someone they have to claim they don't have it anymore. So how can you call the cops that your DVD of Debbie Does Dallas was stolen from your home if when the cops get there they see the DVD still sitting on the coffee table?

Are you going to say.."but officer my neighbor watched my movie and I didn't give him permission" You know how that sounds? Do any of you taint sniffing salad tossers have any idea what the word "theft" means?

As for as "copyrights" go.... I think they should be respected. I have many scripts being copyrighted as we speak and I would hate for some bag to steal my movie idea.

(BTW) it's only 20 dollars to do it

But I do think the laws need to separate the felony from the misdemeanor by if the copyrighted material was used to make a profit. Did you take a Spurs Shirt with the same design and sell them at the SBC center? Then yes it's a crime. Do the time. pay the fine.

But if it's some 16 year old kid who is posting a video of his drunk dad dancing on youtube and happens to use the music from Salt N Peppa then use your common sense and realize that is exposure for that band why not spread the music around?

I don't get it I have a band i beg people to share my link with others.

But some cheesy band like Fog hat doesn't want their music heard?

where is the logic.

This is the era of the wireless megabytes and just like cell phones killed the beeper the www killed will the Music CD.

and you can quote me.
    Last edited by mouse; 03-23-2011 at 05:41 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey Blake you want to get off your high horse one day so we can have a beer?
    probably not... I like it up here.

To steal something from someone they have to claim they don't have it anymore. So how can you call the cops that your DVD of Debbie Does Dallas was stolen from your home if when the cops get there they see the DVD still sitting on the coffee table?
    If someone copies your dvd of DDDallas and leaves with the copy, they aren't stealing from you.

They are stealing from the movie company.

Do any of you taint sniffing salad tossers have any idea what the word "theft" means?

As for as "copyrights" go.... I think they should be respected. I have many scripts being copyrighted as we speak and I would hate for some bag to steal my movie idea.
    so if you don't know what theft means, does that automatically make you a salad tossing taint sniffer?

where is the logic.
    most of us ask that every time you post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, i didn't realise music industry is losing, sorry, is getting stolen from so much money:
    $75 Trillion .
    We must do something NOW!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw this today on slashdot:
    "Big Content" Is Strangling American Innovation

11:45 AM Thursday March 31, 2011

Innovation has emerged as a key means by which the US can pull itself out of this lackluster economy. In the State of the Union, President Obama referred to China and India as new threats to America's position as the world's leading innovator. But the threats are not just external. One of the greatest threats to the US's ability to innovate lies within: specifically, with the music and movie business. These Big Content businesses are attempting to protect themselves from change so aggressively that they risk damaging America's position as a world leader in innovation.

Read on...

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I say if you know you are watching a pirated movie, you are stealing.
    You have a relatively broad definition of stealing, though. Again, if I'm watching an uploaded unauthorized video that can't be legally purchased in any fashion, you'd still consider that stealing, right?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Also, wondering where you draw the line Blake.

Let's say I have an mp3 server at my house, shared with various members of my family. I buy one copy of a CD, and the whole house listens to it. Is that stealing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have a relatively broad definition of stealing, though. Again, if I'm watching an uploaded unauthorized video that can't be legally purchased in any fashion, you'd still consider that stealing, right?
    Is there a copyright on the video?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, wondering where you draw the line Blake.

Let's say I have an mp3 server at my house, shared with various members of my family. I buy one copy of a CD, and the whole house listens to it. Is that stealing?
    If you legally purchased one copy of a cd, why would it be stealing?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    If you legally purchased one copy of a cd, why would it be stealing?
    If I legally purchased a song, dloaded said song to my PC, and then uploaded it to a website, would you say that's legal or not?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Is there a copyright on the video?
    Sure, why not? Still don't see how it's "theft" if there original creator of the video is not providing a means to purchase the video legally.

It may not be "legal", per se, but I fail to see how it's theft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I legally purchased a song, dloaded said song to my PC, and then uploaded it to a website, would you say that's legal or not?
    a website like facebook?

technically illegal.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    a website like facebook?

technically illegal.
    So what's the difference between putting a copy of an MP3 on a local server for everyone in the house to enjoy, and putting it out there on the web?

Why would it be legal to use an mp3 server in your home (assuming other besides you use it)?

Edit: And I also meant a personal website, but it doesn't make a big difference for the purposes of the analogy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, why not? Still don't see how it's "theft" if there original creator of the video is not providing a means to purchase the video legally.

It may not be "legal", per se, but I fail to see how it's theft.
    so there is no way to see the original video unless you download and view it without asking permission.

I fail to see how you still fail to see this is stealing a viewing of said video.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    so there is no way to see the original video unless you download and view it without asking permission.

I fail to see how you still fail to see this is stealing a viewing of said video.
    Is there harm being done to the person who originally made the video? Please define where the harm is perpetrated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what's the difference between putting a copy of an MP3 on a local server for everyone in the house to enjoy, and putting it out there on the web?

Why would it be legal to use an mp3 server in your home (assuming other besides you use it)?
    because it's one copy meant to be listened to by the one owner of the purchased song. If others are around when the music is playing then no problem.

The problem would exist if you made the copies for others to where they could take it with them when the leave.

Edit: And I also meant a personal website, but it doesn't make a big difference for the purposes of the analogy.
    Then I would say generally speaking, it would be illegal to upload any song at any time onto a website.

That said, if you had your own personal website that you wanted to upload a song on, then the two questions I would have are:

1. are you making money off the song?

2. are you keeping the music company that owns the song from making money?

if the answer is yes to either, then yup, you're stealing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there harm being done to the person who originally made the video? Please define where the harm is perpetrated.
    you are taking intellectual property.

nothing out there says that the owner can't someday decide to sell the video.

...but because you took it without asking, future potential value of the video just depreciated.

Thread Information