Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...nio_92_bl.html

The Blazers' Andre Miller is defended by the Spurs' George Hill on Monday in San Antonio. Miller scored 26 points to lead Portland.

SAN ANTONIO -- There were two games played here Monday night: a hotly contested, if not rather unsightly, basketball game between Portland and San Antonio, and one between Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and the minds of the Trail Blazers.

The Blazers won both games, but not without struggle.

It wasn't pretty, it wasn't dominating, and it wasn't against the full cast of the San Antonio Spurs, but the Blazers' 100-92 victory over the league leaders counted just as much as any other win, which pushed the Blazers (43-31) closer to the playoffs.

"We won," said Andre Miller, who led Portland with 26 points. "That's all that matters."

As he has been wont to do throughout his successful career, Popovich on Monday rested many of his key players, most notably point guard Tony Parker, which, combined with the injuries to All-Stars Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, left the Spurs far less intimidating than the team that has amassed a league-best 57 wins.

Less than an hour before the game, a buzz started circulating among the Blazers when they saw Parker on the court in a business suit. Eventually, Blazers forward Nicolas Batum went over to talk to Parker, a friend and fellow Frenchman.

Parker told Batum that he was being held out along with starting power forward Antonio McDyess because Popovich wanted to prevent Parker from joining the injured ranks of Duncan (sprained ankle) and Ginobili (thigh bruise).

Only small forward Richard Jefferson was among the normal starters for the Spurs, who sent out two rookies (Tiago Splitter and James Anderson) and two efficient reserves, sharp-shooting Matt Bonner and high-scoring George Hill.

Immediately, Blazers coach Nate McMillan said the contest became "a trap game" because of the way the mind works, thinking the game was suddenly going to be easier.

"All of the sudden you start to put pressure on yourself ... people get tight and think that we are definitely supposed to win," McMillan said.

And Miller, a 12-year veteran, said his coach was right.

"I mean, of course you are going to be like, 'Aw, we aren't gonna get their best players,'" Miller said. "And you can look at it that you don't have to play as hard as you normally do."

But Miller said the Blazers had a simple talk, a point that many of the players brought up afterward.

"We talked about what point of the season we are in, and the importance of this win," Miller said. "Pop, he knows what he is doing over there. But we can't worry about what they do. He's resting his guys for the playoffs, and they have earned that, they have a right to do that. But we said regardless of what's going on over there, we have to get this win."

The Blazers got the win, but not without some stress.

Portland had a nine-point third quarter, which included an embarrassing final two minutes by Brandon Roy, who on the Blazers' final four possessions committed three turnovers and a wild shot that was well off.

Meanwhile, Hill was zipping up and down the court, unimpeded, and Splitter was getting so physical with LaMarcus Aldridge that he took the Blazers' star out of his offensive game while also providing some surprising offense of his own.

After leading all of the first half, including 58-51 at the break, the Blazers entered the fourth quarter down 72-67 and stunned.

But the Blazers stormed back in the fourth, going on a 13-0 run to take an 87-81 lead. Batum was the catalyst, assuming defensive duties on Hill, while also coming alive after a quiet offensive night. Batum finished with 10 points and 13 rebounds, seven of his points coming in the fourth.

Gerald Wallace, who played power forward for much of the game, had 14 points, seven rebounds, two steals and a block and seemed to hit the shot that broke the Spurs' back -- a straight-on three-pointer with 2:03 left that gave the Blazers the 87-81 lead.

With eight games remaining, the Blazers' magic number to make the playoffs is four, meaning any combination of Blazers wins and Houston losses totaling four will earn the Blazers their third consecutive playoff appearance.

Before the game, McMillan and Popovich shared a laugh, which was revisited after the game in a much more hearty fashion. There was a hug, a handshake and some hearty laughs.

"He said that he hoped he sees us," McMillan said, smiling. "And I told him, 'I hope we do too, because that means we are in there.' He said, 'Not in the sense of playing you, but you have worked hard.' So I'm hoping we get there. We don't care who we see, if it's (the Spurs) we will make that adjustment then."

Notes
    The Blazers have won nine of the last 11 meeting with the Spurs and are the only team to beat the Spurs three times this season. ... Portland holds the sixth seed by one game over New Orleans and trails Denver by 1 1/2 games. The Blazers play at New Orleans on Wednesday. The Hornets have won two of the three meetings. ... Aldridge was held to nine points and did not score in the second half. It was the lowest he has scored since he had nine points in a home loss against Sacramento on Jan. 24. ... Wesley Matthews had 19 points, 10 of them from the free throw line. ... Roy on his play in the third quarter: "Had a couple ... had a couple ... just not really paying much attention to turnovers. I just got to get a little more focus. Still getting used to playing again. I just have to take more care of the ball."

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

The Blazers' Andre Miller is defended by the Spurs' George Hill on Monday in San Antonio. Miller scored 26 points to lead Portland.

SAN ANTONIO -- There were two games played here Monday night: a hotly contested, if not rather unsightly, basketball game between Portland and San Antonio, and one between Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and the minds of the Trail Blazers.

It wasn't pretty, it wasn't dominating, and it wasn't against the full cast of the San Antonio Spurs, but the Blazers' 100-92 victory over the league leaders counted just as much as any other win, which pushed the Blazers (43-31) closer to the playoffs.

"We won," said Andre Miller, who led Portland with 26 points. "That's all that matters."

As he has been wont to do throughout his successful career, Popovich on Monday rested many of his key players, most notably point guard Tony Parker, which, combined with the injuries to All-Stars Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, left the Spurs far less intimidating than the team that has amassed a league-best 57 wins.

Less than an hour before the game, a buzz started circulating among the Blazers when they saw Parker on the court in a business suit. Eventually, Blazers forward Nicolas Batum went over to talk to Parker, a friend and fellow Frenchman.

Parker told Batum that he was being held out along with starting power forward Antonio McDyess because Popovich wanted to prevent Parker from joining the injured ranks of Duncan (sprained ankle) and Ginobili (thigh bruise).

Only small forward Richard Jefferson was among the normal starters for the Spurs, who sent out two rookies (Tiago Splitter and James Anderson) and two efficient reserves, sharp-shooting Matt Bonner and high-scoring George Hill.

Immediately, Blazers coach Nate McMillan said the contest became "a trap game" because of the way the mind works, thinking the game was suddenly going to be easier.

"All of the sudden you start to put pressure on yourself ... people get tight and think that we are definitely supposed to win," McMillan said.

"I mean, of course you are going to be like, 'Aw, we aren't gonna get their best players,'" Miller said. "And you can look at it that you don't have to play as hard as you normally do."

But Miller said the Blazers had a simple talk, a point that many of the players brought up afterward.

"We talked about what point of the season we are in, and the importance of this win," Miller said. "Pop, he knows what he is doing over there. But we can't worry about what they do. He's resting his guys for the playoffs, and they have earned that, they have a right to do that. But we said regardless of what's going on over there, we have to get this win."

Portland had a nine-point third quarter, which included an embarrassing final two minutes by Brandon Roy, who on the Blazers' final four possessions committed three turnovers and a wild shot that was well off.

Meanwhile, Hill was zipping up and down the court, unimpeded, and Splitter was getting so physical with LaMarcus Aldridge that he took the Blazers' star out of his offensive game while also providing some surprising offense of his own.

After leading all of the first half, including 58-51 at the break, the Blazers entered the fourth quarter down 72-67 and stunned.

But the Blazers stormed back in the fourth, going on a 13-0 run to take an 87-81 lead. Batum was the catalyst, assuming defensive duties on Hill, while also coming alive after a quiet offensive night. Batum finished with 10 points and 13 rebounds, seven of his points coming in the fourth.

Gerald Wallace, who played power forward for much of the game, had 14 points, seven rebounds, two steals and a block and seemed to hit the shot that broke the Spurs' back -- a straight-on three-pointer with 2:03 left that gave the Blazers the 87-81 lead.

With eight games remaining, the Blazers' magic number to make the playoffs is four, meaning any combination of Blazers wins and Houston losses totaling four will earn the Blazers their third consecutive playoff appearance.

Before the game, McMillan and Popovich shared a laugh, which was revisited after the game in a much more hearty fashion. There was a hug, a handshake and some hearty laughs.

"He said that he hoped he sees us," McMillan said, smiling. "And I told him, 'I hope we do too, because that means we are in there.' He said, 'Not in the sense of playing you, but you have worked hard.' So I'm hoping we get there. We don't care who we see, if it's (the Spurs) we will make that adjustment then."

Notes
    The Blazers have won nine of the last 11 meeting with the Spurs and are the only team to beat the Spurs three times this season. ... Portland holds the sixth seed by one game over New Orleans and trails Denver by 1 1/2 games. The Blazers play at New Orleans on Wednesday. The Hornets have won two of the three meetings. ... Aldridge was held to nine points and did not score in the second half. It was the lowest he has scored since he had nine points in a home loss against Sacramento on Jan. 24. ... Wesley Matthews had 19 points, 10 of them from the free throw line. ... Roy on his play in the third quarter: "Had a couple ... had a couple ... just not really paying much attention to turnovers. I just got to get a little more focus. Still getting used to playing again. I just have to take more care of the ball."

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Notes

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a miracle!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at Blazers getting hyped over beating the Spurs B-team. They should be embarrassed the game was even in question.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol mental win

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol T II with his usual trolling during the regular season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't even bother reading any of that...with that said...we were out 4 starters...we should have been blown out...the fact the Blazers had to come back to win doesn't say a whole lot about them now does it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at Blazers getting hyped over beating the Spurs B-team. They should be embarrassed the game was even in question.
    The Blazers don't have much to go on... they are still touting a single championship they won in 1977.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Didn't even bother reading any of that...with that said...we were out 4 starters...we should have been blown out...the fact the Blazers had to come back to win doesn't say a whole lot about them now does it...

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Work it, t. Nail 'em up there good.

Tree of Woe never looked better, t.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    more mental than physical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "I'm an old single guy whose favorite team sucks so bad that I have to get off on meaningless regular season victories against teams playing without their star players," said tlongII, who led Spurstalk.com in spam threads with 126. "That's all that matters."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank god there are no more games with the Blazers, or this old fossil would start up 100 post game threads every time...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    B-Team?? Gimme a break that was a D team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    B-Team?? Gimme a break that was a D team
    That D team overcame a 10pt deficit against a playoff team that owns the Spurs, to go up by at least 8 in the 3rd, holding the opponent to the lowest quarter by an opponent this year.

If that's a D team, I would love to see the A team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That D team overcame a 10pt deficit against a playoff team that owns the Spurs, to go up by at least 8 in the 3rd, holding the opponent to the lowest quarter by an opponent this year.

If that's a D team, I would love to see the A team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    ^^^
    Not good work with the jersey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Enjoy your first round exit.

^^^
    Not good work with the jersey.
    To borrow a line from Andre Miller:

"It's damn funny," said Andre Miller, who led Portland with 26 points. "That's all that matters."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Work it, t. Nail 'em up there good.

Tree of Woe never looked better, t.
    And Cubster swing merrily along on the schlong of tlong.

Thread Information