Birthday: 09/14/1989
    College: Marquette

DraftExpress
    nbadraft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/122372339.html

On Friday the 21-year-old Butler was scheduled to interview with San Antonio and Minnesota, after he spoke with five teams on Thursday: the Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis, Golden State and Orlando.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steal of the draft; the guy can do it all. He has so much potential.

The Spurs need to take a hard look at him if they're not comfortable with the bigs that will be available at 29.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another 6 foot 7 guy UGH

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steal of the draft; the guy can do it all. He has so much potential.

The Spurs need to take a hard look at him if they're not comfortable with the bigs that will be available at 29.
    Is he any better than danny green? I like the guy but I feel like with manu,green,JA,Jefferson, and Butler that the sg/sf positions are one of deeper on this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he any better than danny green? I like the guy but I feel like with manu,green,JA,Jefferson, and Butler that the sg/sf positions are one of deeper on this team.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Green and Butler don't make the team next year, we have way too many sgs. The only small forward we have is Jefferson.

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be surprised if Green and Butler don't make the team next year, we have way too many sgs. The only small forward we have is Jefferson.
    Butler is a SF. Green can play both. Anderson can play both. We need size on the wing. Other teams just post up Hill, Neal, and even Manu. When ZBo left the game, Memphis didn't miss a beat, just switching to Allen or Battier punishing our smaller guards in the post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you pick another fringe SF NBA prospect to replace fringe SF players already on the roster? I would rather keep what we have and go for a big or pg prospect

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Butler is a SF. Green can play both. Anderson can play both. We need size on the wing. Other teams just post up Hill, Neal, and even Manu. When ZBo left the game, Memphis didn't miss a beat, just switching to Allen or Battier punishing our smaller guards in the post.
    Butler is unproven coming off a serious injury, Green isn't a true small forward same with anderson.

So you pick another fringe SF NBA prospect to replace fringe SF players already on the roster? I would rather keep what we have and go for a big or pg prospect
    We need a true small forward with size who knows this guy can become a decent player, everything I've read says he's smart and does all the little things to help his team win. Also he has a high work ethic.

And I understand a big but why a PG? If we get a point that means Hill or Neal becomes the odd man out basically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fringe prospect? Did you just make that up out of thin air?

A high-energy player with an extremely high IQ, a post game, a decent rebounder, an ability to play the 4 in small line-ups, can pass the ball well, a willingness to make hustle plays and play defense; sure you can say he isn't a good shooter, but his mechanics are good, so the potential to shoot is there. There is a reason Butler has been projected to be drafted anywhere from late in the 1st round to early in the 2nd -- and for quite some time now.

Yes, the Spurs should draft a big, but this guy is still a great option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fringe prospect? Did you just make that up out of thin air?

A high-energy player with an extremely high IQ, a post game, a decent rebounder, an ability to play the 4 in small line-ups, can pass the ball well, a willingness to make hustle plays and play defense; sure you can say he isn't a good shooter, but his mechanics are good, so the potential to shoot is there. There is a reason Butler has been projected to be drafted anywhere from late in the 1st round to early in the 2nd -- and for quite some time now.

Yes, the Spurs should draft a big, but this guy is still a great option.
    Extremely high IQ- I could find higher IQ's from alot of 2nd rd or even some non drafted players.
    Post game- maybe in college, but who exactly do you think he will be posting up in NBA at the 3 or 4?
    Decent rebounder- averaging 6 rbs in college is average at best for someone 6'7 and do you think that will improve in the NBA?

Not hating on the guy but I just dont see him worth a 1st rd pick from any team. He was average in college in everything and I just dont see his game getting much better in the NBA. Just my opinion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Extremely high IQ- I could find higher IQ's from alot of 2nd rd or even some non drafted players.
    With Butler's talent? You're not going to find many.

Decent rebounder- averaging 6 rbs in college is average at best for someone 6'7 and do you think that will improve in the NBA?
    Sure, why wouldn't it? He's not going to average more RPG that he did in college if that's what you're asking. He will mainly play at the 3 after all.

Nevertheless, you should quit nitpicking. You're not going to find a perfect player at 29 in a relatively weak draft.

Not hating on the guy but I just dont see him worth a 1st rd pick from any team. He was average in college in everything and I just dont see his game getting much better in the NBA. Just my opinion
    Again, with his high work ethic; why wouldn't his game improve? I bet you didn't see Landry Fields as a NBA player either. What about Wes Mathews?

Butler is getting drafted, or he's going to be in a situation similar to the players I just mentioned. Either way -- he's going to produce.

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Butler is unproven coming off a serious injury, Green isn't a true small forward same with anderson.
    So is this kid. What's your point? Da'Sean has as much chance to develop as he does, and with the lockout will likely be 18+ months recovered by training camp. Never said that Green or Anderson were true SFs, just that they can swing to the position. , we had Manu playing SF in some sets, and it usually got us killed on D.

We need a true small forward with size who knows this guy can become a decent player, everything I've read says he's smart and does all the little things to help his team win. Also he has a high work ethic.

And I understand a big but why a PG? If we get a point that means Hill or Neal becomes the odd man out basically.
    Hill regressed badly this year. He had a chance to show his stuff when TP was out, and instead, two games were dropped to POR and MEM because of ball handling miscues that never would have been an issue with TP playing. Hill is easily flustered and trapped and picks up his dribble when he shouldn't. He also isn't all that in the playoffs. If we need a sweetener in a deal, as far as I'm concerned, he can go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Butler's talent? You're not going to find many.

Sure, why wouldn't it? He's not going to average more RPG that he did in college if that's what you're asking. He will mainly play at the 3 after all.

Nevertheless, you should quit nitpicking. You're not going to find a perfect player at 29 in a relatively weak draft.

Again, with his high work ethic; why wouldn't his game improve? I bet you didn't see Landry Fields as a NBA player either. What about Wes Mathews?

Butler is getting drafted, or he's going to be in a situation similar to the players I just mentioned. Either way -- he's going to produce.

Guess you didnt read my post..Let me say this again his skill set is not one of a 1st rd pick..I see him going early to mid 2nd at best. Not sure why you brought up Wes mathews cause he to was undrafted and Field was a 2nd rd pick. These 2 players are not the norm and could you please list the other 2nd rd picks and undrafted players from that draft who have not been heard from, I am positive it is greater than 2..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guess you didnt read my post..Let me say this again his skill set is not one of a 1st rd pick..I see him going early to mid 2nd at best. Not sure why you brought up Wes mathews cause he to was undrafted and Field was a 2nd rd pick. These 2 players are not the norm and could you please list the other 2nd rd picks and undrafted players from that draft who have been heard from..
    You said, 'I don't see him as a first round pick', 'He's just average. In my opinion'. You didn't say his skill-set isn't one of a 1st rounder, but now that you did, I'm going to disagree with you. He can do everything except shoot consistently well, and we all know that is one area where a player can always make progress in.

My point with Mathews and Fields was that they were not projected to be drafted, nor did they meet all the necessary, requisite skill-sets to make it in the NBA. Yet, one was drafted, and another went undrafted to eventually become a key piece in several playoff teams. Why can't Jimmy be another one of these players? You haven't yet told me.
    Last edited by TimDunkem; 05-22-2011 at 02:39 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said, 'I don't see him as a first round pick', 'He's just average. In my opinion'. You didn't say his skill-set isn't one of a 1st rounder, but now that you did, I'm going to disagree with you. He can do everything except shoot consistently well, and we all know that is one area where a player can always make progress in.

My point with Mathews and Fields was that they were not projected to be drafted, nor did they meet all the necessary, requisite skill-sets to make it in the NBA. Yet, one was drafted, and another went undrafted to eventually become a key piece in several playoff teams. Why can't Jimmy be another one of these players? You haven't yet told me.
    All of these players on this draft board will exceed or fall short of expectations...If Butler can become an NBA rotation player then in my opinion he has exceeded his expectations coming into this draft. Now answer my question, you have named 2 players that were either not drafted or drafted in the 2nd rd and are now doing very well, now please enter the names of the those drafted in the 2nd rd or not drafted that did not succeed in the NBA during those same drafts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would be the point of that exactly? So you can compare his skill-set to a completely different player and claim he will fail like that player? You can do that yourself. It won't mean anything until we are well into next season.

All I've said is I think the guy is worth the pick, and I'd like to see the Spurs make it if there are not any better options. All in response to you misappropriately labeling him as a fringe player. I don't see why you want to argue about that. You must love to argue.

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    The point is, that most second round and undrafted players are evaluated spot on. A few VASTLY exceed their expectations, but to draft on that basis is foolishness itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think possibly being drafted at 29, and becoming a rotation player is vastly exceeding expectations for Butler to be honest. Calling him a fringe prospect is more of a stretch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So is this kid. What's your point? Da'Sean has as much chance to develop as he does, and with the lockout will likely be 18+ months recovered by training camp. Never said that Green or Anderson were true SFs, just that they can swing to the position. , we had Manu playing SF in some sets, and it usually got us killed on D.
    We never know how Da'Sean will be after this injury which is more then enough for me too want to take this kid over him.
    Exactly we got burned playing players out of their position. And you're acting as if the lockout is a sure thing to happen nobody knows what's gone happen with all these negotiations going on.
    This Jimmy Butler has all the intangibles to be a really solid role player for us, while Da'Sean would be rehabbing and out of basketball for a year and some change.Nuff said.
    Hill regressed badly this year. He had a chance to show his stuff when TP was out, and instead, two games were dropped to POR and MEM because of ball handling miscues that never would have been an issue with TP playing. Hill is easily flustered and trapped and picks up his dribble when he shouldn't. He also isn't all that in the playoffs. If we need a sweetener in a deal, as far as I'm concerned, he can go.
    I agree, I really don't understand why seeing as how well he did last year when Tony was out. But on the issues of turnovers what you were saying about George defiantly was true about Tony as well in the playoffs this year like half of the games he had as many turnovers as assists. Tho Hill is at his best when he's playing with Manu, he defiantly doesn't play all that well with Tony.

I agree if that's the case tho about a trade.
    Last edited by Spurs da champs; 05-22-2011 at 06:14 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/a...cc4c03286.html

If Butler, who was measured at 6-7 3/4 with shoes, continues to impress during upcoming workouts with Miami, New Jersey, Boston and San Antonio, among others, he could conceivably sneak into the first round, just like his former Marquette teammate Lazar Hayward did last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A great article about his story, a must read:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...=Butler-110618

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'd be a decent prospect if the Spurs had a high second rounder...but I don't think he's worth a first. As others have said, the other prospects at the wing that are currently on the roster have just about as much potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see a Landry Fields-type second round steal with this guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True that. Hard not to be a fan of this kid once you hear his story.

Thread Information