Post Count
    A word of caution before we get a little to out of hand with comparisons

Nikoloz Tskitishvili

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A word of caution before we get a little to out of hand with comparisons

Nikoloz Tskitishvili
    Niko was drafted #5 overall and therefore had much bigger expectations..Richards is a late 2nd rd pick so even he does not make it as an NBA regular then not nearly as big a deal for a franchise..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Niko was drafted #5 overall and therefore had much bigger expectations..Richards is a late 2nd rd pick so even he does not make it as an NBA regular then not nearly as big a deal for a franchise..
    I agree
    however I was pointing out a player who had incredible workouts yet never produced. Similarly, few ever saw him in a game.
    I suspect pre Niko and Darko Ryan would have gone much higher

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCMQ3...eature=related

compares himself to bosh and odom.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    more boshlike then odom.

Pop wont let him run around the perimeter running point like a headless chicken.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like his fade away....for a 7 footer it's extremely hard to guard!

ala Dirk. Comparing height not game.

George Hill: 2-Guard NewJerSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop gave Blair good minutes in his 1st year and even crucial PT in both rounds of the playoffs.....he also got Splitter in there in the middle of the series this year. The last time a rookie got cold stonewalled was Hill when the Spurs got beat by Dallas 4-1 in 2009.

I think the dude has a good shot at getting good minutes if he looks good in TC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop gave Blair good minutes in his 1st year and even crucial PT in both rounds of the playoffs.....he also got Splitter in there in the middle of the series this year. The last time a rookie got cold stonewalled was Hill when the Spurs got beat by Dallas 4-1 in 2009.

I think the dude has a good shot at getting good minutes if he looks good in TC.
    I would not count on a single thing, zero, nothing from Richards in the coming season..The kid barely has any minutes playing professional basketball in europe and some of you guys think he all of a sudden is ready to contribute against the best in the world..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would not count on a single thing, zero, nothing from Richards in the coming season..The kid barely has any minutes playing professional basketball in europe and some of you guys think he all of a sudden is ready to contribute against the best in the world..
    Well, we've seen High School players make the leap and he has been hanging around in SA from the talks working with staff with the team. I'm hoping for the best and that the league can negotiate something before the CBA is up or shortly thereafter so dude can get more run in the summer prior to camp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hill? Not Splitter for the entire year?

But I hope you're right about Richards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Bonner can get mins Richards surely can. I would role the dice with R Squared over Bonner any day.
    , talking out of your ass again...What exactly does Richards do better right now? If you come back with an answer you are talking our of your ass again cause nobody knows exactly what to expect from Richards..Dont come back with some youtube videos of practice or some other crap to prove your point either, Richards has never played against NBA caliber players ever..I am also intrigued with Richards but to think he will be an answer for anything in the coming season is foolish.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Ryan Richards is a rotation player for the Spurs next year, the team will have been blown up and starting from scratch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    speaking of ryan richards, just found this article: http://www.mvp247.com/2011/05/ryan-r...et-for-gb-bow/
    He's still playing with kids?

That makes me think he's going to sign a D-League contract and not one with the Spurs unless the assignment rules change -- but I guess if he really impresses he could be playing in the senior tournament.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's still playing with kids?

That makes me think he's going to sign a D-League contract and not one with the Spurs unless the assignment rules change.
    Thanks, for carrying that link cause I accidently erased it ..Agreed, this kid needs to simply play against older players for some kind of experience. D-league would be great for Richards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hill? Not Splitter for the entire year?

But I hope you're right about Richards.
    The only rook in recent years that's gotten stonewalled was Hill. Splitter had an injury for a perioed of time but did get burn when Tim went down and got put into the lineup in the middle of the series. Could've used more run during the season, but I don't see that being an issue this year.....whenever it starts.

George didn't get any burn until the very end of the series in Dallas, even with the short bench and injuries of the Spurs.

I'm hoping for the best with Richard's as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You must be another dumb ass lib on this board. What does Bonner do other than shoot the 3 and puss out come playoff time?

Richards is bigger, a better ball handler, will be a better rebounder, better shot blocker, better passer, will be a better player.

I dont watch UTUBE to get my info, I scouted Richards and was a team mate of one of his best friends who I am also very close to and who plays pro over seas.

I cant believe how many people on this board have fallen all over Bismack who may be 25 years old because he had a good game against high school all stars, but Richards who by far shows more skill, is spoken off as a long term project.

Last year had he played in the Mc D all star game, he would have dominated. His skill level is clear. How many 7 foot guys handle the ball like a SG, can shoot the 3 off the bounce and have the makings of a solid post game......Name them. If he was American instead of playing pro for the last 4 years he would have been a top 3 high school player.

He is far and away more skilled than Tyson Chandler was coming out of the draft, and he would have been a top 5-7 pick this year.

He will be as good as he wants to be, had it not been for a shoulder injury he would have been a mid first rounder last year.

The spurs must get bigger, more athletic, younger and he is all three, to not get him mins next year would be a shame.

Look at the FA landscape, we are not gonna get any better if we dont make a deal or start to develop these young guys.
    Until you stop making up you will have zero respect from me on your assessments of players. The only thing you can say that I agree with is that Richards has good size, everything is stuff you have no idea about but are guessing and hoping for in Richards. If you can show me some stats or video (against legit competation not kids) of all these talents you profess about then I will gladly agree with you but until then try sticking to the facts, and that is nobody knows what this kid is good or bad at right now in his career. Didnt think you could get any worse until you mentioned Richards domination of the mcdonalds game if he attended, thanks for the self imposed stupidity stamp ..
    Last edited by yavozerb; 05-15-2011 at 09:32 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JA got minutes before the injury and would have been a regular had he not gotten hurt.....might've even taken RJ's minutes. Agree with Phila that Richards should be given a look, possibly in TC, and given time to develop or play his way out of the lineup if he shows promise in the samr way Blair got his PT as a rook.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phila_Chamberlain, if Ryan Richards were in the draft this year, around where do you think he would be drafted? First round lock? Lottery?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Ryan Richards is a rotation player for the Spurs next year, the team will have been blown up and starting from scratch.
    Gotta be honest with ya, I'd rather see Richards play 20 minutes a game instead of Bonner. Love Matt as a person, but honestly, we know what he can do and Richards has all the tools to be a really good role player, but lacks coaching and experience. You can practice all you want, tear up the D-League, and go to work on inner-squad games, but nothing compares to playing 15 to 20 minutes a night in 82 games with the lights on against players that can out play anyone any given night. Had Pop taken 2 or 3 rotation minutes from the big 3 and given them to Ian Mahinmi, Marcus Haislip, James White, [insert another end of the bench high potential player that never played] then the Spurs would either have a couple young or in their prime role players or those players would be overpaid on another team.

Pop has to realize that Butler, Green, Richards, Anderson, might not be game changers, but they could make the difference.
    Chump is right on the mark, the more ryan richards we see, then the worse off the season is going..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really though -- Haislip? White? Ian?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to coaches I've talked to Haislip made some of the most amazing plays they had ever seen in practice. It was beyond them why he never played. James White, Malik Hairston and Pops Mensa-Bonsu were all players who tore up the D-League. And we all know Ian had all the talent to be a really good player, but how can you expect him to reach that level if he never plays?
    All these players had other chances in the NBA. Where are they now?

It's a fine line to walk; trying to win while giving welfare minutes to an inexperienced player is tough. In the cases you mentioned, only one is actually in the NBA and he's racking up DNPCDs for another team that wants to win and is winning without him. Hairston might come back, but his performance at a higher level than the D-League was pretty sporadic.

Dominating the D-League is pretty much required as an indicator of potential NBA success, but it certainly isn't a guarantee. You can take Ian as an example. He really only dominated in two areas in the D-League, scoring and team defense. The scoring numbers were inflated because he was simply taller, bigger and more athletic than the people guarding him. That leaves his team D, which actually carries over to the NBA pretty well, but his foul trouble also carried over and may well have been exacerbated by the better, bigger, faster offensive players he had to cover on on one.

I have high hopes for Richards, but going from playing children to NBA rotation players in a few month's time probably isn't going to happen. , if the lockout goes like last time and the D-League stays on schedule, it's better for Ian to sign a D-League contract since he'll actually be playing and he'll have access to the Spurs staff and facilities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem it seems, is that every young big the Spurs acquire, Spurs fans desperate for a big to pair with Duncan, want a savior big man starting from day one. Mahimni, Splitter, and now Richards, regardless if that big is young, raw, and inexpierenced. Understandable, but not realistic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are no doubt underage, so I wont waist much time on ya. Your respect is worthless to me. I have seen the man play, and unlike yourself my job requires me to evaluate players and help recuite them.

Richards has been playing pro for 4 years! These high school kids your talk about are actually pro- semi pro and college players.

What if the spurs could draft Austin Rivers right now, you would be all over it, yet he has only played against High school players!

Your a fool, again, go back if you can manage and find draft camp and see what NBA scouts had to say about Richards game.

Serge Ibaka never played against good talent, never. He played with piss poor HS players non which would make a D3 roster, yet he was a first rounder and in 2 years has turned into a dominate young defender.

Richards who is the same age, Bigger, more skilled and has played against pro talent since 15, you act like hes a long term project.

Please kid, get back in school.
    , Your employer must be very proud they have such a knowledgable player evaluater at there disposal....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he plays in the adult Eurobasket compe ion, I'll believe he'll have a small chance to play for the Spurs next season.

Thread Information