Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Public promises haven't been unknown in the past. This may have been a guess on the media's part -- Bertans has suggested he didn't want to stay in the draft without going first round. They may be supposing someone has promised him and have filled in the blanks.

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Public promises haven't been unknown in the past. This may have been a guess on the media's part -- Bertans has suggested he didn't want to stay in the draft without going first round. They may be supposing someone has promised him and have filled in the blanks.
    I don't EVER remember a public one, uinless you count the #1 pick. Do you have an example?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams never publicly said who they will draft but leaks happen. It's possible that Spurs have made a promise to Bertans and a leak happened.

Spurs are usually great at keeping it secret but it can even happen to them like when they made a promise to Batum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't be bothered to look any up, but more solid 'promises' happen much earlier and no, they aren't actually public, and yes, they often involve the Knicks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams never publicly said who they will draft but leaks happen.
    Well, it has sorta happened. Unless my memory is faulty, back in Rondo's draft, PHX's Griffen told the the media that there was no way Rondo was getting past them. As it turned out, there was in fact a pre-arranged trade with Boston if Rondo fell, so Griffen was publicly letting the public know about who was going where, but people had assumed he was referring to his own team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Chad Ford rumor that gets out this far ahead of the draft? Sounds like a smokescreen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's just as likely a smokescreen. Hoping to get an earlier team to jump on Bertans in order to let someone else fall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I proclaimed this earlier in this thread and will do so again. I believe Bertans is the player the Spurs are targeting. Despite an obvious need for size, it's clearly apparent that Pop favors one-dimensional shooters over size. If Bertans is there, I believe he'll be the pick.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I proclaimed this earlier in this thread and will do so again. I believe Bertans is the player the Spurs are targeting. Despite an obvious need for size, it's clearly apparent that Pop favors one-dimensional shooters over size. If Bertans is there, I believe he'll be the pick.
    Well, he is a shooter WITH size. I wouldn't mind it if the Spurs were the ones who guaranteed him a 1st round choice.

My only concern with him is what would our reaction be if Bonner remains a Spur and Pop trots out a lineup with Bertans as PF and Bonner at C. That would definitely be spreading the floor out. Sit everyone outside the 3 point line and have Parker penetrate. It could actually work on the offensive side of the court, but defensively it could be a nightmare, unless by some miracle Bertans has a hidden knack for defending the post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, he is a shooter WITH size. I wouldn't mind it if the Spurs were the ones who guaranteed him a 1st round choice.

My only concern with him is what would our reaction be if Bonner remains a Spur and Pop trots out a lineup with Bertans as PF and Bonner at C. That would definitely be spreading the floor out. Sit everyone outside the 3 point line and have Parker penetrate. It could actually work on the offensive side of the court, but defensively it could be a nightmare, unless by some miracle Bertans has a hidden knack for defending the post.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop seemingly tends to be a paper kind of guy, and on paper it could possibly work out well, however only on one side of the court. Like I said before, the defensive side of the ball would need nothing more than a miracle to actually be a decent concept. It would be freakin hilarious if Pop does something like that should this kid be drafted by the Spurs. I can only imagine the types of thread coming out about it. Definitely high quality entertainment for forum purposes, but not so much in the standings department.

After all, if Parker can penetrate (and is actually playing worth a damn unlike the series vs. Memphis), and with everyone afraid to help, he is pretty much money if he gets into the paint. The weakness is the Spurs getting abused on the opposite side of the court. At the very least it would be quite entertaining on multiple levels.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner will be gone by the time Bertans sees an NBA uniform.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That is EXACTLY the point as well as the crux of the this ongoing hypocrisy with Pop. He's on record as stating his intentions of getting the Spurs back to a Top 3-level defensive team. At the same time, he doesn't seem willing to field a team with players who can affect a game on the defensive end - on the interior and the perimeter.

The only way this can be accomplished is by adding players who are competent defensive players. You're not going to find another Bowen, but at least having players on the roster who can play both ends of the floor is a good start. Adding one-dimensional, unathletic perimeter shooters isn't the way to go.

If this team was much more formidable defensively, adding a player like Bertans would be a sweet deal. The point is they already have enough poor defenders and don't really need another one. We'll see just how serious Pop is about this, or whether he's just giving lip service again.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is EXACTLY the point as well as the crux of the this ongoing hypocrisy with Pop. He's on record as stating his intentions of getting the Spurs back to a Top 3-level defensive team. At the same time, he doesn't seem willing to field a team with players who can affect a game on the defensive end - on the interior and the perimeter.

The only way this can be accomplished is by adding players who are competent defensive players. You're not going to find another Bowen, but at least having players on the roster who can play both ends of the floor is a good start. Adding one-dimensional, unathletic perimeter shooters isn't the way to go.

If this team was much more formidable defensively, adding a player like Bertans would be a sweet deal. The point is they already have enough poor defenders and don't really need another one. We'll see just how serious Pop is about this, or whether he's just giving lip service again.
    ...and these defensive teams always started with 2 shot blockers. Bowen was incredibly effective because he played the system perfectly by funneling his player baseline to the shot blocker. After Horry left we did not have 2 good defenders in the post. Even Bowen in his prime would be funneling a scorer into Bonner only to have him dunk over Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Bertans as a possible long-term prospect. However based upon what the Spurs need at this time, he seems more of a long-term luxury pick. They already have enough perimeter shooters.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is EXACTLY the point as well as the crux of the this ongoing hypocrisy with Pop. He's on record as stating his intentions of getting the Spurs back to a Top 3-level defensive team. . . . . We'll see just how serious Pop is about this, or whether he's just giving lip service again.
    That's just lip service from Pop. Pop's true feelings are exposed when he talks about things like blaming being 'out of rhythm' and not fully healthy for the loss in the playoffs. Pop doesn't actually blame the defense . . . after all, it was a 60+ win team! They were just out of rhythm!

Another sign is the "Maybe it's Matt Bonner" as starter statement.

Pop doesn't care about defense so much anymore. I always get a chuckle when posters talk about drafting or signing a guy when "Pop can teach them defense". Please.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Chad Ford rumor that gets out this far ahead of the draft? Sounds like a smokescreen.
    This is exactly what I thought. Heck, half the time very few people have even heard of the guy the Spurs draft after he's been drafted much less a week ahead of time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have the Spurs promised Davis Bertans the 29th pick?

http://www.48minutesof .com/have-...-davis-bertans

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Have the Spurs promised Davis Bertans the 29th pick?

http://www.48minutesof .com/have-...-davis-bertans
    This is still based off the same Chad Ford rumor we've been discussing for a page or so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welcome. Don't suck when you come over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans at #42 definatly makes up for the early gamble at #29 in my opinion..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Positives

Excellent shooter with deep range
    Quick release on his jumper
    Can create his shot off the dribble
    Great size for his position
    Good passer
    Aggressive

Negatives

Needs to add strength
    Poor shot selection at times.

Notes

Bertans has declared for the 2011 NBA Draft
    Plays for Union Olimpija Ljubljana. Averaged 4.1 ppg in 9.8 mpg while shooting 57 percent from three during the 2010-11 season.

June 13 Update: Bertans burst onto the scene with a strong performance in the practices of the Nike Hoop Summit. His actual game performance wasn't particularly great. Turns out that the same was true here at Eurocamp in Treviso, Italy. Bertans did a workout in front of NBA scouts and teams on Sunday and played pretty well. Of the three workouts here, he was, by far, the best. He hit shots, made plays, and showed that he was a better athlete than we give him credit for. While he didn't shoot the lights out (which was a disappointment given his rep as a sharpshooter) he looked good.

Then Bertans played in a Sunday evening All-Star game and he struggled with just seven points in 30 minutes of play. He was clearly forcing the issue at times. At other times his shot looked great, it just didn't go in. It happens to even the best shooters and Bertans is a very good shooter and should make a living at it for a long time in the NBA.

Bertans agent, Marc Fleisher, told me he's looking for a first-round guarantee from a team to stay in the draft. With the deadline approaching Monday, and with no guarantee as of Sunday night, it's unlikely that he stays in. With a bit more seasoning, he's a very solid first-round prospect.

Apr 11 Update: Bertans certainly didn't come to the Nike Hoop Summit with a huge amount of hype. The skinny sharpshooter from Latvia did make the All-Tournament team at the U-18 European Championships this summer, but generally he was considered a "down the road" prospect.

What scouts went crazy for over the week was Bertans' combination of lethal shooting ability and agility. I'm sure by now you're sick of hearing every big Euro who can shoot being compared to Dirk Nowitzki, but you heard it over and over again this week from scouts. Bertans had a so-so game at the Hoop Summit, but showed enough to get scouts drooling.

If he were to declare for the 2011 NBA draft, I think he'd get a look in the late first round, but if he waits another year, he could go much higher.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    any chance we bring him this year, even if not quite ready, like we did with Tony?
    to let him make quick growing...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what is his contract situation? when can he play on the nba

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing we tend to overlook on Bertans is that he is extremely young for this draft class.

Thread Information