Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For an organization that's won four championships in a nine season span, they've sure embarrassed themselves plenty of times. And they're in the midst of doing it again.

They've got a team of mostly playoff neophytes that tanks to play them and this is how they respond? Instead of taking it personally and sending a message immediately, they let their confidence, already sky high, go through the roof and confirm that, yes, this team can beat them. They also confirmed to the rest of the league, who disrespected, flat out ignored them or both the entire season that, yes, they are in fact a joke. Not that they were going to be motivated by that, but you'd think they'd want to stick it to all these ass holes. Apparently not.

Not a ing chance in the Lakers or Celtics allow that. Point to the Grizzlies girth in the paint or the fact that the Spurs of the past three seasons have not been in the same class as the Lakers or Celtics all you want. The point is this: They're the two other teams in the league with championship pedigree. They'd have taken pride in knocking an upstart team like this down a peg. They'd have came in, quieted the crowd and re-established control of the series.

What's worse than the fact that this team did none of those things is that they look like the terrified team. All this experience and yet they come out and it's as if they're intimidated by the atmosphere. Inexcusable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately, this is how I felt they were gonna come out this series.

They really lack the swag they use to have in the past. In the past, the media doubted them but they always showed in the playoffs why the media were idiots. Now it's like you can say anything negative about them and it turns out to be true.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the whole hype of this game had me kind of expecting this. idk hopefully by monday, some of the hype will have died down... the thing is that the griz are playing their best basketball right now. the spurs arent even playing half as good as they could. if they could just put their heart into it even a little bit, the griz wont win another game.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of the posters here who know what Spurs basketball is about figured out that this team was a gimmick a long time ago. The "look at our 60 wins!" crowd are just now showing up to the dance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is the beginning of the end. We might make 2 more playoffs, then dissapear into irrelevancy for who knows how long.

Spurs fan at Princeton Ginobili2Duncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For an organization that's won four championships in a nine season span, they've sure embarrassed themselves plenty of times. And they're in the midst of doing it again.

They've got a team of mostly playoff neophytes that tanks to play them and this is how they respond? Instead of taking it personally and sending a message immediately, they let their confidence, already sky high, go through the roof and confirm that, yes, this team can beat them. They also confirmed to the rest of the league, who disrespected, flat out ignored them or both the entire season that, yes, they are in fact a joke. Not that they were going to be motivated by that, but you'd think they'd want to stick it to all these ass holes. Apparently not.

Not a ing chance in the Lakers or Celtics allow that. Point to the Grizzlies girth in the paint or the fact that the Spurs of the past three seasons have not been in the same class as the Lakers or Celtics all you want. The point is this: They're the two other teams in the league with championship pedigree. They'd have taken pride in knocking an upstart team like this down a peg. They'd have came in, quieted the crowd and re-established control of the series.

What's worse than the fact that this team did none of those things is that they look like the terrified team. All this experience and yet they come out and it's as if they're intimidated by the atmosphere. Inexcusable.

I feel the exact same way. And this is why I felt Game 1 was so critical, Memphis was brazen enough to tank the last two games so that they can play the Spurs. A Game 1 victory would've brought their confidence down, instead Popovich outsmarts himself and decides to sit Ginobili. Now the Grizzlies confidence is at an all-time high now and they have made it that much harder to win this series.

Even if the Spurs will this series do you feel good about their chances vs. the Thunder and the Lakers after that? With the way the Spurs have struggled with Memphis, I don't.

I felt that the Spurs' would take it personal that this team went looking for them, but so far, it looks like I'm wrong. Popovich also deserves a big part of the blame too. I think he may be the only coach in the league that doesn't use his best personnel. They are now going to win in spite of him, not because of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup the team reflects the coach, and it looks like the coach has to go. were tired of his !!! his stupid ass "im a genius, so dont ask me questions" at ude is really lame and has no where near an AVERAGE mind much less a GENIUS! . that man is dumber than dirt

what ? hahaha now i just heard him say on his interview, that we didnt do anything different from last game to this game, so im guessing hes thinking were due for another W soon (b/c we lost this one lol ....this coach has Lost it...
    Last edited by ++SaiNt TiAg0++; 04-23-2011 at 10:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They've got to decide whether they're content having the Duncan era end this way
    That decision was made when this roster was put together a couple of seasons ago...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a follow up . . .

Why does this team not carry themselves like a team with championship pedigree at their core/a 61 win team should? Even if you think their record was not a true reflection of them, they still won 61 and did so by managing the minutes of their best players far more than any other team and by not having their second best big in the rotation.

Is it the lack of size? Reliance on too many young players? Senile coach? All of the above? Whatever it is, they have absolutely no confidence whatsoever. It's equally perplexing and pathetic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're overreacting. Deep breaths.

A couple bounces here and there and the Spurs would be up 3-0 in this series and you wouldn't be posting about the Spurs embarrassing their legacy or being pathetic or whatever. It's been a frustrating series but this thread is a bit too emo for the current situation.

Dropping fuckin' loads! Nick Manning's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    You're overreacting. Deep breaths.

A couple bounces here and there and the Spurs would be up 3-0 in this series and you wouldn't be posting about the Spurs embarrassing their legacy or being pathetic or whatever. It's been a frustrating series but this thread is a bit too emo for the current situation.
    A couple bounces here and there and the Grizz could be up 3-0 as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A couple bounces here and there and the Grizz could be up 3-0 as well.
    True. But even then, the Spurs wouldn't be embarrassing their legacy or whatever he was saying. Winning championship #5 this season has always been a longshot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had the Spurs succeeded in overcoming that deficit, they would be praised. Instead they are shunned.

Every time they started to gather momentum, Pop would insert Bonner and the game would swing back the other way.

I have no ing idea what Pop's bas stepchild has done to deserve playing time, but that guy is a cancer to the game. It's not his fault, but he's someone's BIL out there playing a pickup game. He shouldn't even be in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All it takes is for some 7' nobody to be pushed next to Duncan for this team to just dominate the NBA and it's pissing me the off.

Dropping fuckin' loads! Nick Manning's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    True. But even then, the Spurs wouldn't be embarrassing their legacy or whatever he was saying. Winning championship #5 this season has always been a longshot.
    True. We all knew the undersized front court was going to be their demise, we just didn't expect them to get exposed this early in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had the Spurs succeeded in overcoming that deficit, they would be praised. Instead they are shunned.

Every time they started to gather momentum, Pop would insert Bonner and the game would swing back the other way.

I have no ing idea what Pop's bas stepchild has done to deserve playing time, but that guy is a cancer to the game. It's not his fault, but he's someone's BIL out there playing a pickup game. He shouldn't even be in the NBA.
    Worst thought is that we are stuck with him for at least another 3 seasons... I don't think any team would take up is terrible contract.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im obviously not the only one since there are many far more knowledgable posters than me on this board... but after about 20 games into the season when it became clear that Splitter wasnt going to play an integral part this season..

I said that it wasn't possible for me to foresee a situation where a team could win an NBA championship with DeJuan Blair and Matt Bonner as its second and third best bigmen. Think about that... these are two guys who probably wouldnt start or play key roles for ANY team in the league. Would even the Cavs start Blair or Bonner ahead of Hickson or Jamison? What about a team like the Raptors? I say they still start Amir Johnson/Ed Davis ahead of these two guys.

It's just too difficult to win a championship with these two guys playing significant roles. They are both one dimensional basketball players.. they both play ing hard.. and im sure they care about the team and its fans.. but they dont belong anywhere near an NBA contender.

Im really not that surprised at whats happening since i never expected the Spurs to win the ship... even if they come back and beat the Grizz (which i think is still 50/50) they are gonna get destroyed by Perkins/Ibaka... or Gasol/Bynum/Odom... or Chandler/Dirk... or Camby/Aldridge even ... these guys are just too big and athletic for our bigmen outside of Duncan and Splitter.

No matter what happens.. the regular season was fun as winning all those games... i enjoyed it big time... and im still gonna root for the boys this series because i think they can still win... i just dont think the team will win the championship.. never have tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With this thread you're proving to be a gutless fan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im obviously not the only one since there are many far more knowledgable posters than me on this board... but after about 20 games into the season when it became clear that Splitter wasnt going to play an integral part this season..

I said that it wasn't possible for me to foresee a situation where a team could win an NBA championship with DeJuan Blair and Matt Bonner as its second and third best bigmen. Think about that... these are two guys who probably wouldnt start or play key roles for ANY team in the league. Would even the Cavs start Blair or Bonner ahead of Hickson or Jamison? What about a team like the Raptors? I say they still start Amir Johnson/Ed Davis ahead of these two guys.

It's just too difficult to win a championship with these two guys playing significant roles. They are both one dimensional basketball players.. they both play ing hard.. and im sure they care about the team and its fans.. but they dont belong anywhere near an NBA contender.

Im really not that surprised at whats happening since i never expected the Spurs to win the ship... even if they come back and beat the Grizz (which i think is still 50/50) they are gonna get destroyed by Perkins/Ibaka... or Gasol/Bynum/Odom... or Chandler/Dirk... or Camby/Aldridge even ... these guys are just too big and athletic for our bigmen outside of Duncan and Splitter.

No matter what happens.. the regular season was fun as winning all those games... i enjoyed it big time... and im still gonna root for the boys this series because i think they can still win... i just dont think the team will win the championship.. never have tbh.

This.
    I will always root for the team. But I took off my homer glasses long ago and see things the way they are.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD21 went a tiny bit emo... but most of what he said is hard to dispute... Allen has been in man handling Manu all series long... Randolph is elbowing our guys in the ribs on every shot that goes up to get rebounding position.. you know Battier is dishing out behind the scenes... everybody knows the Grizz deliberately tanked to get the Spurs... yet i have not seen one Spurs player (outside of Manu obviously since he has the biggest balls in the league bar ing none) get in a Grizzlies players face and let them know that they are in for a in war. The Spurs are missing that Malik Rose/Kevin Willis type of guy who will wear his heart on his shirt and let es know whats up.

Matt Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hate to cosign, but truth is truth. Tough loss, but what the does an anonymous internet poster know about guts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are winning this series. I don't bealive, I know.
    Last edited by DAF86; 04-24-2011 at 12:49 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are winning this series. I don't bealive, I know.
    I also don't believe you know.

Ford is the Best in Texas scottspurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The true gutless worms are the fans jumping off the wagon right now. This series is far from over. Spurs are going to put this away in 6 and I will have all the respect in the world for the Grizzlies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting swept last year in the 2nd round, then losing in a catastrophic upset as the number one seed to a team that had never won a playoff game (if they do beat the Spurs) is a major blow to Tim's legacy. Especially with Kobe still going strong and surpassing Tim in rings.

I understand the never too high, never too low thing, and it's just basketball, but you are underestimating the severity of the situation IMO if the Spurs were to lose.

Of course winning a le was a long shot. Winning the first round against the Grizz should have been a no brainer. Especially when they flat out disrespect you and tank to get you.

Thread Information