Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Who knows what the motivation is to say something like that,” Buford said.
    7-14 playoff record since 2008 maybe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the more telling stat is since they won game 3 of 2008 first round, the spurs are 2-16 on the road. In 2007, they were 7-2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ouch...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TP is probably just pissed off that Bonner and Jefferson didn't do to help the team, which is why they can't contend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole team sucked in the playoffs. Tim was awful as was Tony. Rj sucked the whole last 3/4 of the season so that was no surprise. Manu was erratic...they buckled under pressure and against physical compe ion. It wad totally embarrassing. For those of you bashing Pop, just try and realize that the man made lemonade out of a bunch of lemons. No one should be surprised at the playoff failure. Most people saw it coming. I got caught up in thinking we had a chance because I didn't want to face reality. No D= No win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm undecided on whether Parker should have said that or not.

Why he should have STFU:
    - It could hurt Spurs financially. Saying that Spurs aren't a contender anymore won't help Spurs to sell tickets.
    - It puts Spurs in a need situation on the trade market which is a never a good thing.
    - It could hurt Spurs chemistry.

Why he was right to say that:
    - Maybe Pop interview with the E-N was just PR bull but what he said was damn worrisome. If Spurs FO truly think that they can stand pat, they deserve to be called out publicly.
    - A reason why Parker didn't try to sign the biggest extension possible was that he wanted to keep Spurs compe ive. He has the "right" to put some pressure on the FO to keep Spurs compe ive.
    - It's always nice to hear a player saying something different than the usual talk.

Regarding what Parker said, I think some details should be said.

The "Spurs done as a contender" coming from Parker isn't a surprise. For years, he has said that while 10 or 12 teams claim to be contender, there were only 4 or 5 true contender. Last summer, Parker said it was Spurs last year of contention. Add to that that Parker is damn straight when he speaks to French media and it's logical to see Parker saying that.

The "if someone is going to be traded, I know it will be me" shouldn't be understood as Parker asking for a trade. With time, more complete transcript of this press conference have been release. Parker said that but it was in response of an oriented question "Spurs are at the end of an era and needs to rebuild their team. You are the player with the highest trade value...". Parker is also someone who understand really well the GM side of the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think TP had an agenda saying that tbh it was just a direct answer to a direct question.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker is our Sydney Govou... traded every season for ten years

The difference is that Govou WANTED to leave every year, except he didn't find a big club wanting to pay for him...

TP wants to stay.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs seem stuck between being good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to get a good draft position. I know we did get some good value at where we picked Hill and Blair, but we need to get back in the top 3 to turn things around.

I've heard this years draft is one of the weaker in recent years, so I'd say trade Parker for something decent besides a draft pick, and focus this year on development of our young guys. Only thing I'm concerned about is, even if we did play Anderson, Hill, Splitter, maybe a player that we recieved from the Tony trade starters minutes, we would probably still be compe ive enough to miss the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ppl are overthinking this too much. TP said what he said because that's what he thinks.

IF he had layed it all out on the floor and stepped up I would have no problems with it. But given that in round 1 his nuts shriveled more than a Frenchman's in WWII, he has no right to say except take blame.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude has to be traded.

Why would the Spurs want to have a player who thinks they can't win it all? Parker's effort won't be 100%

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow spurs management seems to be in complete denial. probably the same denial that caused them to give bonner and jefferson contract extensions. this is bad news.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cleveland does have a 14.5 mil trade exception from Lebron James that expires on july 11 per sham sports...Just throwing that out there
    Doesn't help at all with a supposed Arenas-to-Cleveland deal.

per Coon's faq:

the team can only trade away one player, and can receive no more than $100,000 more than the salary they trade away
    Even if Cleveland was going to do a side trade of one player for the exception as part of a larger deal, it couldn't work with Arenas. Arenas makes over 17 million. Can't be traded for a 14.5 exception.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm undecided on whether Parker should have said that or not.

Why he should have STFU:
    - It could hurt Spurs financially. Saying that Spurs aren't a contender anymore won't help Spurs to sell tickets.
    - It puts Spurs in a need situation on the trade market which is a never a good thing.
    - It could hurt Spurs chemistry.

Why he was right to say that:
    - Maybe Pop interview with the E-N was just PR bull but what he said was damn worrisome. If Spurs FO truly think that they can stand pat, they deserve to be called out publicly.
    - A reason why Parker didn't try to sign the biggest extension possible was that he wanted to keep Spurs compe ive. He has the "right" to put some pressure on the FO to keep Spurs compe ive.
    - It's always nice to hear a player saying something different than the usual talk.

Regarding what Parker said, I think some details should be said.

The "Spurs done as a contender" coming from Parker isn't a surprise. For years, he has said that while 10 or 12 teams claim to be contender, there were only 4 or 5 true contender. Last summer, Parker said it was Spurs last year of contention. Add to that that Parker is damn straight when he speaks to French media and it's logical to see Parker saying that.

The "if someone is going to be traded, I know it will be me" shouldn't be understood as Parker asking for a trade. With time, more complete transcript of this press conference have been release. Parker said that but it was in response of an oriented question "Spurs are at the end of an era and needs to rebuild their team. You are the player with the highest trade value...". Parker is also someone who understand really well the GM side of the NBA.
    Parker was just being honest.

As far as hurting the Spurs selling tickets . . . they couldn't sell tickets before. Some of it is the economy, some of it is contentment over having won so many les, but I would think most of it is the AT&T Center. The 'new arena' attraction has worn off, and the area it's in is still total garbage. It's an industrial wasteland on one side and a ghetto on the other. Nothing like the old days when there was all of the downtown touristy things to do before and after games. You go there and you leave, and pay a lot of money for it. They're not selling out anything even if they were contenders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker was just being honest.
    I agree that there isn't too much to read in why he said that. I'm just wondering if it good or bad that he said that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It can only be good to my mind.

Letting Pop and the FO know that they're not contenders in a bluntly honest way is a good thing, especially coming from Parker. I wish Duncan and Ginobili would do the same.

Pop talking about "Maybe it's Matt Bonner (as the starter for 2011-12)" was a huge red flag that Pop was still in full "senile-Pop-mode".

Only by recognizing that they weren't contenders playing guys like Jefferson and Bonner and rejecting the foolish "if only we weren't out of rhythm" mindset can the Spurs be at their best.

If Parker talking makes helps Pop and bitter RC open their eyes, then Parker has done a great thing.

Doesn't excuse his poor play in the playoffs, but at least it would mean he kind of gets it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker needs to be traded away in a package with whoever to bring in a cornerstone big that this franchise can build around again. Period.

silverblk mystix
    Dude has to be traded.

Why would the Spurs want to have a player who thinks they can't win it all? Parker's effort won't be 100%
    Why would anyone on the team BELIEVE that they have a shot at a le in ANY year--when their own head coach repeatedly calls ANOTHER team the best in the league.

When that coach makes comments throughout the season that team A or team B is the best and that the spurs ....are "not in the same level"....

Why would a coach with a defeatist at ude like this be retained?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I do agree that Parker is partially to blame for the 1st round exit, I don't disagree with his quote. I would have been very angry if players on the team had just said: There's always next year. It sure seems like Pop believes that. At least someone isn't being delusional.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker saying the Spurs are not contenders anymore has me very confused.

Yes that is true but this is not something any starting PG of a team that had the best record in the West should ever say.. He got a new deal from this team and he comes off like he will just be playing for the $$ next few years in SA. That or he is laying the groundwork to be traded.. Either way Tony should not have said this..

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Ye if Parker have said something among the lines of "we'll be fine", "we just need one or two pieces" Spur fan will be full of joy and in expectation for another great season to begin.

What he said is the true and there's nothing wrong with that. You don't trade him because of that, you trade him if a good deal can be made because he's the only one in the team with a market value.

Everything else is rubbish.
    Wise words, from a smart man ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just cuz the Spurs are done doesn't mean he should be talking . Nice PR there Parker. I say trade his ass....

....Start the re-building process...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What he said is the true and there's nothing wrong with that.
    What he said is true but there is plenty wrong with it.. If i am the GM and my starting PG who just got a big money extension from me says this, that tells me he has quit on this team.. Tony has 3 rings and the Spurs just had the best record in the west but he says "We are not contenders anymore" Very very odd comment..

Sounds like he is here for the money and just playing out his deal.. Or that he wants out..

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Parker is a fine player but without tim, he is like plenty of pretty good PG's that retire as ringless "flash in the pan stars" ...

Thread Information