Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Howard to Minny makes no sense at all.
    This. If he thinks he can't win in Orlando, why the would he want to go to a cellar dweller, especially since they won't have Kevin Love anymore.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. If he thinks he can't win in Orlando, why the would he want to go to a cellar dweller, especially since they won't have Kevin Love anymore.
    Minnesota would still have Beasley, Johnson, and Rubio, which is more than Orlando can boast. It would still shock me to see Howard sign off on the deal by extending though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minny does love point guards, maybe they want TP?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Bruno for the translation

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Minny will trade a load of great assets for one year of Howard while they will be average at best during this year? Sorry, but it makes no sense.
    Exactly.

No chance the Timberwolves give up Love and the 2nd pick for Howard, who would definitely leave them after next season. If there's a (supposedly) good chance he doesn't stay in Orlando, then there's a zero percent chance he stays in Minnesota.

Smith, I could see the Spurs looking into him, but I doubt they actually acquire him. Varejao is probably most likely, if they trade for a big. Short of that, I could see them taking a flier on a guy like Clark.

As far as Parker's comments, he first says they're done as contenders, then says they could be in the Mavs' position had they got the right match-up. Which one is it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly.
    As far as Parker's comments, he first says they're done as contenders, then says they could be in the Mavs' position had they got the right match-up. Which one is it?
    One year is a big difference when your best players are 35 and amost 34.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Exactly.

He said they are done as contenders because he felt this was the last year they could win a championship in a league chalk full of young, up and coming talent. Realistically, the Spurs had their shot and blew it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's sure there is nothing between playing well and playing horribly. Parker didn't played well but he wasn't as horrible as some people say on both ends of the court. The whole "he got destroyed by Conley" thing is just false.

Parker deserves his fair share of criticism for the playoffs. The key word here is fair. You and some other posters aren't fair which put you in the hater category.
    Where to start....

1) Someone disagreeing with your assessment doesn't make them a hater. That would be like me calling you a TP nut-hugger because you don't agree with me and always try and stick up for him and everything he says.

You can't call someone a "hater" when their body of posts doesn't indicate that. When someone is very "fair" all the time and then outlines a position about their favorite player they see as a harsh truth, it doesn't make them a hater. At all. That is you being sensitive.

2) Fair share? So does that mean that everyone deserves equal blame? Or do some people deserve more blame than others? I never said that he is the only person to blame, but every team has someone who gets the majority of the blame because ultimately it comes down to your best players. Like it or not, it's how this works.

When I evaluate how a player did, I look not just at the numbers but the situation. You also look at expectations. The harsh reality is that the Spurs lost to an inferior team. In fact, they got upset in one of the more dramatic fashions in NBA history.

Within that, this team is comprised of a big 3 who get all the credit when they win, and with that, comes all the blame when they lose (overall and rightly so). The fact is the team went away from Tim over the past couple of years and became more Manu's and TP's. This is something they wanted. The fact is that when looking at the Grizz we knew a couple things: 1) Tim by far had the hardest match up on both ends. 2) Manu was injured and had probably the second hardest match up with all of the wing defenders they can throw at him. 3) TP was the youngest of the big 3 and the offense was his this year. He also had the most favorable match up.

The expectations were that it was going to be TP's time to shine anyways because he was the youngest, healthiest and it had been going that way this year. They you look at the match ups and it was TP's time to play great. Not only did he not elevate his game, he played the worst playoff series of his life since he became "TP". This was the biggest moment in his career as far as being the "man" when the Spurs needed him and he didn't step up. Especially early on when they needed him (Manu missing game one). Because of that expectation, in my opinion, TP deserves the blame and I think it's fair. It doesn't mean I hate him. Even if his numbers look "ok" everyone saw that he played so far below his normal level with no injury excuse and the most favorable match up. In these situations when you are clearly the better team and you have guy in Manu who is injured and Tim who is older, guys like TP need to step up and elevate their game (which he normally does), not go backwards. Because of that, TP as the youngest star of the team deserves the majority of the blame.

If everyone deserves their "fair share", then you should be on TP for completely throwing the front line under the bus while at the same time saying "Hey, I just missed some shots and didn't play that well, but it was the front court where we got dominated and we need more help there...". Doesn't seem like he is placing the fair share of blame around either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly.

No chance the Timberwolves give up Love and the 2nd pick for Howard, who would definitely leave them after next season. If there's a (supposedly) good chance he doesn't stay in Orlando, then there's a zero percent chance he stays in Minnesota.

Smith, I could see the Spurs looking into him, but I doubt they actually acquire him. Varejao is probably most likely, if they trade for a big. Short of that, I could see them taking a flier on a guy like Clark.

I think he knows that even if they were in the WCF, they aren't really contenders to beat who they would have to face in the finals anymore. Just like I have said all year, and Pop recently echoed, they have/had zero margin for error and that only gets worse as the years go on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it most interesting that Tony basically admits that he took the extension since he had been hurt and wanted the security- not so much that he wanted to stay in SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^TP has said numerous times, both before and after his extension that his preference was always to stay in San Antonio. Sure, maybe his injuries and a few other factors played into the final number, but he wanted to be in SA and SA wanted him here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One year is a big difference when your best players are 35 and amost 34.
    Theoretically, yes. But I'd be surprised if Duncan and Ginobili significantly drop off next season. I know even a marginal drop off, this team couldn't take, as far as contending goes, but say it is a shortened season, it could actually benefit them. I don't think they're any less likely to contend next season than they were this season.

I'm not crazy about a Varejao trade, but McDyess' partially guaranteed contract, Blair and the 29th pick for him, is a realistic trade (the Spurs would have to add filler to make the salaries work; a third team could be brought in to help facilitate the trade). And if you add Varejao to Duncan and Splitter, you're talking about an elite defensive front line, which has been their biggest weakness the past few seasons. The perimeter firepower would still be intact. I'm not saying that vaults them back into being one of the odds on favorites, but it should improve them and it definitely doesn't make them worse.

DPG, fair enough.
    Last edited by TD 21; 05-18-2011 at 06:00 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fact is the Spurs are in one of the hardest spots to be in, in the NBA.

They are "tweeners". Not quite contenders, not quite terrible. No financial wiggle room and long-term contracts on the books.

It's going to be interesting to see how things shake out, but I can see a whole lot of nothing major and the Spurs just being an up and down team with no real shot at a le (like every team but 4 or so) and no real "blow up and rebuild".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SA has been done as a contender every year for the past 5 years, even before their last ring.

It's just a cyclical thing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I take back what I said about them not being any less likely to contend next season. What I meant was, I don't think they'll be any worse a team. In fact, they could be slightly better. The problem is, the Heat, Bulls, Thunder and Grizzlies, are all likely to be better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phila, just so you know, something like TP/RJ/Hill for Joe/Smith works in your scenario to give an idea of the type of money.

But to also put that in perspective, it would be an additional 50M+ over the next 4 years or so for that trade.

While Joe is clearly better than TP from a talent perspective and Josh is 10x better than RJ, that is a ridic amount of money and no way the Spurs do something like that. If it was me not caring about money, then sure, those two would make the Spurs better short-term, but that isn't how it works in the NBA.

Rugged like Rwanda SpursNextRomanEmpire's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone has said that the Spurs have been done as contenders for the past few years.

I guess hearing Tony say it is the shocking thing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) Someone disagreeing with your assessment doesn't make them a hater.
    The problem is not with disagreeing. The problem is with being excessive.
    Saying "Conley tore him up" is excessive and false. It isn't a matter of opinion, it is a matter of facts. Like it or not but being excessive makes you a hater.

If everyone deserves their "fair share", then you should be on TP for completely throwing the front line under the bus while at the same time saying "Hey, I just missed some shots and didn't play that well, but it was the front court where we got dominated and we need more help there...". Doesn't seem like he is placing the fair share of blame around either.
    Parker isn't throwing the front line under the bus. He is throwing the front office under the bus for failing to built a good front line. There is a huge difference between putting the loss on a player like you do with Parker and saying that this team has some huge weaknesses in the way the roster is built.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Putting exact numbers aside, and the fact that the Hawks want to shed salary, would the Spurs trade Tony and RJ fro Josh Smith and Joe Johnson? That's a lot of money to take on, but it does amp up the team with a high energy and athletic forward on top of a dynamic scorer in Johnson. Then go after a point in FA.
    JJ and JS are both owed 30 mil next season..With the departure of TP and RJ the spurs would save 21 mil. If the spurs got word that TD opt out of his contract to maybe 10 mil per year then the spurs would lose no money at all for the coming season. Just a thought

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saying the front court got dominated while at the same time saying "I just did too little too late" is throwing them under the bus. He didn't say that the front office did them in, he said the front court and that is the players.

I explained why I don't feel it's excessive. You failing to look at all of my posts about TP overall (and not this one thing) and calling me a hater because of this one thing makes you a TP nut-hugger because you are taking one comment that was explained with reasoning and not an over-reaction filled with cursing TP out as me being a TP hater.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, in any of my post above did I say "Conley tore up TP"? I said he was outplayed and then elaborated on how based on the situation and expectations and how TP is an elite player, that he deserves the majority of the blame?

Do you think that everyone deserves equal blame? If so, do you think TP is giving out the blame equally by his statements?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Webster is hardly an asset. The mix of Love and the number 2 pick is hardly "a load of great assets." Kahn has done stupider things-such as drafting back to back point guards, trading Al Jefferson for two first rounders. Kahn had set his team and salary cap up for a trade of this caliber. I've heard that if not for Love's great season (start and overall season) a Kevin Love for Chris Bosh trade almost happened.

As for the risk of Howard leaving, yes I wouldn't make the trade personally. But honestly, the projected line up would be: Flynn/Ellington/Johnson/Beasley/Howard. Not a great line up, but easily the most athletic from 1 to 5. Nor is it the deepest honestly, but sometimes you have to take risks.
    Capspace, Love and Derrick Williams are great assets. Trading that for something that could only be an one year rental of Howard is a little crazy. Now, as you said, Kahn can always do something stupid...

Don't get me wrong, I don't imply that you're making up stuffs but I think that there is nothing serious behind what your source told you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Putting exact numbers aside, and the fact that the Hawks want to shed salary, would the Spurs trade Tony and RJ fro Josh Smith and Joe Johnson? That's a lot of money to take on, but it does amp up the team with a high energy and athletic forward on top of a dynamic scorer in Johnson. Then go after a point in FA.
    Taking the contracts of Parker and RJ is not exactly shedding salary.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Others have said it, but renting Howard for one season makes no sense. I don't think even is that stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I take back what I said about them not being any less likely to contend next season. What I meant was, I don't think they'll be any worse a team. In fact, they could be slightly better. The problem is, the Heat, Bulls, Thunder and Grizzlies, are all likely to be better.
    Exactly. That's why I'm not opposed for a TP trade, that can make us better as far as championship contention( very unlikely) or better for the post Manu/Duncan retirement.

Thread Information