Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reading this thread just makes me sick again about how the season ended. .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saying the front court got dominated while at the same time saying "I just did too little too late" is throwing them under the bus. He didn't say that the front office did them in, he said the front court and that is the players.
    What do you think is the most realist:
    Parker blaming Bonner or Blair for not being able to stop Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph?
    Parker blaming Spurs' FO for having only Bonner or Blair to put agaisnt them?

Can you be a little serious for a second?

I explained why I don't feel it's excessive. You failing to look at all of my posts about TP overall (and not this one thing) and calling me a hater because of this one thing makes you a TP nut-hugger because you are taking one comment that was explained with reasoning and not an over-reaction filled with cursing TP out as me being a TP hater.
    I certainly won't look at all the posts you've made about Parker. And don't take the word hater as some kind of insults. I just think you are too harsh on Parker performance against Memphis.

Also, in any of my post above did I say "Conley tore up TP"? I said he was outplayed and then elaborated on how based on the situation and expectations and how TP is an elite player, that he deserves the majority of the blame?
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...&postcount=392

Do you think that everyone deserves equal blame? If so, do you think TP is giving out the blame equally by his statements?
    A player doesn't deserve a lot of blame when he is trying. Parker was trying but was bad in the first 3 games. Duncan and Dice were trying but they were old. Bonner was trying but he is just damn limited.
    Among players, Blair for not being able to stay in shape and RJ for not trying deserves the most blame.
    Pop and the front office deserves tons of blame for all the mistake they made. I consider that being a good GM or a good coach is way easier than being a good player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. That's why I'm not opposed for a TP trade, that can make us better as far as championship contention( very unlikely) or better for the post Manu/Duncan retirement.
    I'm not opposed to it, if it makes the Spurs better either now or in the future. A lot of the realistic trades I see don't accomplish either. They're just lateral moves.

Bruno, age is the obvious culprit, when it comes to Duncan and McDyess vs Gasol and Randolph. But what's been obscured, because of that, is the strength factor. Gasol (despite his 265 listing), has got to be about 280 and Randolph is 260. Duncan is generously listed at 255 and McDyess is 245. Duncan was also giving up two inches to Gasol. In other words, they were physically overwhelmed and they would have been whether they were young or old. The difference is, on the other end, Duncan would have destroyed Gasol in his prime.
    Last edited by TD 21; 05-18-2011 at 07:37 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD21 Tim and Gasol were basically the same height. It had everything too do with his age and him losing a lot of weight. He should of stayed the weight he was from 2008 tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still not sure if Phila is trolling us or not - BUT if you were doing this trade Smith/Johnson - TP/RJ and include Dice money works - but I would be tempted to try and get 1 more piece/pick in deal for taking back that much money - also a deal like this I would think would have to go down before new CBA/lockout

Also with Johnson/Manu wouldn't necessarily have to have true PG - even if you couldn't land the FA PG you wanted you could go with Hill as starter and draft PG in 2nd round or use Neal in some matchups

Johnson would be huge in allowing Pop to really manage Manu's minutes/burden even more than this season

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD21 Tim and Gasol were basically the same height. It had everything too do with his age and him losing a lot of weight. He should of stayed the weight he was from 2008 tbh.
    Gasol is 7-1; Duncan is 6-11. It was partially age, partially size and strength. I went into detail about this not too long ago, so I'm not going to re-hash it all. But basically, despite his style, Duncan is not a true center. He's around the same size as Garnett and Nowitzki; he's not O'Neal. Asking him to be the primary defender against Bynum, Gasol, etc., is foolish. He'd be best served defending the four or five depending on match-up. Starting Splitter next to him should allow for that (presuming he get's stronger).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol is 7-1; Duncan is 6-11. It was partially age, partially size and strength. I went into detail about this not too long ago, so I'm not going to re-hash it all. But basically, despite his style, Duncan is not a true center. He's around the same size as Garnett and Nowitzki; he's not O'Neal. Asking him to be the primary defender against Bynum, Gasol, etc., is foolish. He'd be best served defending the four or five depending on match-up. Starting Splitter next to him should allow for that (presuming he get's stronger).
    lol I'm just going to agree to disagree we've been over this before.

Their was a 1 inch max height difference at most.

Duncan especially in the later half of his career can guard centers. He knows he wont be the same player which is why I don't understand why he lost all that weight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you think is the most realist:
    Parker blaming Bonner or Blair for not being able to stop Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph?
    Parker blaming Spurs' FO for having only Bonner or Blair to put agaisnt them?

Can you be a little serious for a second?
    I am being serious. I think that TP is most certainly saying to a certain degree "it's not really on me, it's on other parts of the team, namely the front line".

Regardless of whether or not you think it's aimed at the players or the front office, my point was that TP doesn't seem to be giving fair blame to himself.

I certainly won't look at all the posts you've made about Parker. And don't take the word hater as some kind of insults. I just think you are too harsh on Parker performance against Memphis.
    You don't have to look at all the posts I have made. You have seen me post long enough and even my other posts in this thread alone should tip you off.

Hater is an insult. The word implies that you irrationally hate a player for no real reason and get mad at his success and cherish his failures. That's not the case.

I did say tore up and I didn't really remember saying it, or at least meaning it in the way you are looking at it (meaning comparing the stats of him and Conley).

I explained why I put the majority of the blame on TP. The fact is the numbers shouldn't have been close between him and Conley. While Conley didn't score efficiently, he hit much more timely shots, bigger shots and ran his team much better than TP did.

It's not about the stats overall. It's about the fact TP is the youngest member of the big 3, he was the most healthy, had the most favorable match up and for no excuse he had the worst playoff performance since he became "TP" when the Spurs needed him most. It was his team (at least the offense).

A player doesn't deserve a lot of blame when he is trying. Parker was trying but was bad in the first 3 games. Duncan and Dice were trying but they were old. Bonner was trying but he is just damn limited.
    Among players, Blair for not being able to stay in shape and RJ for not trying deserves the most blame.
    Pop and the front office deserves tons of blame for all the mistake they made. I consider that being a good GM or a good coach is way easier than being a good player.
    A lot of people try, but trying is not doing. TP isn't Bonner. He isn't limited like him. He has never played like that before. He flat out played poor in a time when the team couldn't afford it and that is why I think he gets the blame from me. If you look at his numbers in a bubble he didn't play "terrible", but considering the moment and what happened, he did.

The front office is the same front office that had them win 60+ games. Losses on are players, especially ones that really under perform. This is also the same front office that managed minutes more than any other team in the league. No matter what you say about the front office (which I agree they made a lot of mistakes) there is no way this team, even with all of their shortcomings should have lost to a marginally talented Griz team.

Again, there are a lot of things that went wrong and it's not all TP's fault, but I put the blame on the best players mostly and TP was supposed to be the man this series because the Spurs needed it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see TP's point about the frontline . . . if they are letting the Grizzlies clog the paint, that takes away the area where Parker is most effective. His penetration game was taken away in the series and that is on the post players not being able to pull out the defense. Where TP is to blame is his inability to keep the defense honest by hitting his jumpshots. If TP's midrange game was on, the lane would have opened up for him a little.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    About Spurs improving the team this summer:
    I don't see how we will be able to do that. We can't trade our young players. At the draft, you got to be lucky. Pop has always done a good job so I hope there will have some good surprises for next season's start. But if you know a 7'3" bigman who is a free agent, you can just call me (laugh)....
    Yao Ming is a Free Agent.

The Most Sexy Troll on the Interwebs Hemotivo's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

About his year in NBA:
    I've had on of my best season in NBA. I've improved a lot in the leadership area. In term of being a true point guard and managing games, this is my best season.
    this is true

until the playoffs he was really great

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all I will say is that if Pop played manu in game 1 and parker played closer to his regular season (ie, better FG% and more assists/less turnovers; how many times did tony get stuffed / throw it out of bounds this series?), the spurs beat memphis. It seems we only had one game where more than 1.5 of the big 3 had good games.

discussing conley is rather irrelevant, he never has and never will be a determining player.

as far as the blame, I agree Pop and the FO get the most. Blair and RJ deserve their share too, but they are not stars like Parker. In 09, on an even worse spurs team, TP was magnificent. Unfortunately it seems that TP's 09 playoffs were a flash in the pan caused by favorable matchups.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reading this thread just makes me sick again about how the season ended. .
    Definitely, instead of cheering for our Spurs in front of the tv for the WCF here we are discussing what if TP gets traded...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see any realistic scenarios where TP gets moved to be honest, unless it's some crazy weird trade where you can't say no.

Teams that want TP: More than likely contenders that need a PG

What the Spurs would want: Cap space, young talent, solid draft pick(s)

Teams that meet those criteria: ???

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i remember discussing the merits of a parker for smith trade some time in the past. i didn't like it back then and i still don't. smith has got to have some of the worst shot selection in the league. but if the spurs can get rid of jefferson...i just can't say no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well if that's what Tony thinks then the FO should just ship him out. No point having someone making over 13 million on the roster who doesn't believe we can win. George Hill can take over PG duties if we can't get a PG in free agency and we can trade Tony and his 13.5 million dollar contract for a descent 7 footer. Ship Jefferson and his 8.4 million dollar contract for a long defensive minded SF who can nail the open 3 ball and we are right back in the hunt. Doesn't make sense keeping Tony on board if he doesn't belive we can win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's go Tall Ball

Parker, Jefferson and Antonio's expiring

to the Lakers for

Gasol and Odom

Parker get's the bright lights of Hollywood and LA gets an all star PG and RJ and cash from Antonio's retirement

Spurs can run out a starting lineup of

Gasol
    Timmy
    Odom
    Manu
    Hill/insert free agent PG

Kobe is unhappy with Gasol even though he helped him win 2 championships so i duno how that will play out for LA. And Tony doesn't believe the Spurs can win.

Do it RC

(PS: i know it isn't gonna happen)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn't the backcourt that lost the series, it was our frontline, which made the guards look worse than they were. TP was alright, if he played like he did and the bigs held their own, spurs would have won. The root of the problem is the fo, saddling the spurs with blair/bonner, overplaying 100 year old dice, and not developing splitter through out the seaon. Putting the the lion's share of the blame in tp, is ridiculous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly why the LA trade would work for us

George Hill: 2-Guard NewJerSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, the media may not count the Spurs as contenders given the results of this year, but guys like Neal, Splitter, Anderson (if we see the same JA that started the year), whatever we get in the draft and get from a trade of Dice's contract/RJ and possibly even Ryan Richards will tell the tale imo.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    everything he said was on point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Josh Smith!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol I'm just going to agree to disagree we've been over this before.

Their was a 1 inch max height difference at most.

Duncan especially in the later half of his career can guard centers. He knows he wont be the same player which is why I don't understand why he lost all that weight.
    He can and in a lot of cases, it's better for him to guard the center, as opposed to the power forward. But in certain match-ups, he should be guarding the power forward.

He lost weight because in the second half of 08-09, his knee tendinosis was acting up, so the more he weighed, the more stress was put on his knees. The last two seasons, he's claimed he's felt better.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    possible trades? paker for billups would be a tough pill to swallow since they want to use that expiring for cp3. clips already have mo williams so a kaman trade inst happening. i think thats about it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard Minny is trying to trade there 2nd pick for veteran help

Parker for Flynn and the number 2 pick and draft Williams

Thread Information