Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Dors he value money more than a ring and a chance to play with a hall of famer and two potential candidates?
    I'm not sure that's even the real issue. This may be his last chance to play in the NBA. Guys rarely come over after 30. I can only think of Oberto, who had Manu here already, and Sabonis. He can come over and try the NBA, and if he doesn't like it, or the money isn't forthcoming, he can always go back. If he signs with CSKA, that's pretty much it for any NBA career for him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think prior posts made it sound like Lorbek values his finances more than the allure of playing in the NBA.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is bargaining, I guess.
    Whoever offered him the most would get him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should be more aggressive with getting him tbh

Can't let Bonner taking more minutes in the playoffs.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    He is bargaining, I guess.
    Whoever offered him the most would get him.
    If money is what he is basing this on, he'll be in Moscow next year.

The Spurs don't throw big money at NBA unknowns. Manu took $1.4M/yr for 2 years when he signed, the amount of the LLE in 2002. You have to show SA something at the NBA level to get paid.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I figure we're just being used again. No surprise.

The only thing worse than that is another season of Blair and Bonner.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that is the problem when drafting overseas players that if they start getting good then you could loose them to a team with bigger pockets. That is why I hope they could bring Adam Hanga over this year...he is going to be good..

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Yeah that is the problem when drafting overseas players that if they start getting good then you could loose them to a team with bigger pockets. That is why I hope they could bring Adam Hanga over this year...he is going to be good..
    Hanga is young, though. He can make some dough in Europe, and still come over in his mid twenties like Manu did. Lorbek is way past that point. It's or get off the pot time, Razzy. What's it gong to be?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hanga is young, though. He can make some dough in Europe, and still come over in his mid twenties like Manu did. Lorbek is way past that point. It's or get off the pot time, Razzy. What's it gong to be?
    Plus, Hanga can build his resume for a few more years like Manu, who basically won a silver medal at Indianapolis before coming over

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The latest rumor is that CSKA, with their new coach Messina, has madea an offer to Lorbek:
    http://encestando.es/?p=33689

If it's true, it isn't a good news at all for Spurs. CSKA is pretty much the team in Europe with the most money.
    It is if Diaw/Lorbek is the either/or proposition the vast majority have expected it to be for some time. I'd rather Diaw, if that's the case. Now, if their plan is for Splitter to be the centerpiece of a trade for an athletic, starting power forward, then I'd prefer Lorbek. But as it stands, I'll take the starting power forward, who's a virtual seamless fit over the third center, who's a questionable fit.

With how small teams play now, I can't see Lorbek being able to defend power forwards in the NBA. This is why he's not the fit next to Duncan some think he is. The reason Pop doesn't play Duncan and Splitter together often is twofold. One is, as you said, the lack of spacing. But the other is he's clearly not comfortable with Splitter defending power forwards with any degree of consistency; and Splitter is more mobile than Lorbek. Even if he was comfortable with this idea, who would be the starting power forward? Blair? Then there's the whole adapting to the NBA game, learning the Spurs system, teammates and opponents tendencies, etc. It's not worth it, not at the expense of Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is if Diaw/Lorbek is the either/or proposition the vast majority have expected it to be for some time. I'd rather Diaw, if that's the case. Now, if their plan is for Splitter to be the centerpiece of a trade for an athletic, starting power forward, then I'd prefer Lorbek. But as it stands, I'll take the starting power forward, who's a virtual seamless fit over the third center, who's a questionable fit.

With how small teams play now, I can't see Lorbek being able to defend power forwards in the NBA. This is why he's not the fit next to Duncan some think he is. The reason Pop doesn't play Duncan and Splitter together often is twofold. One is, as you said, the lack of spacing. But the other is he's clearly not comfortable with Splitter defending power forwards with any degree of consistency; and Splitter is more mobile than Lorbek. Even if he was comfortable with this idea, who would be the starting power forward? Blair? Then there's the whole adapting to the NBA game, learning the Spurs system, teammates and opponents tendencies, etc. It's not worth it, not at the expense of Diaw.
    Sums it up.

Seems clear that Lorbek won't sign the below market value contract represented by the BAE. Spurs can only get one of Diaw/Lorbek with the MLE. Diaw is the obvious choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sums it up.

Seems clear that Lorbek won't sign the below market value contract represented by the BAE. Spurs can only get one of Diaw/Lorbek with the MLE. Diaw is the obvious choice.
    Do you know how much CSKA offered?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you know how much CSKA offered?
    No idea.

I'm making an assumption based on the respective reputations of Lorbek, Barca, and CSKA. If he's fielding offers from those teams, the 2yr/4M BAE won't get him to leave Europe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your assumption is probably correct but I can also remember this with Tiago and he signed for much less than most here thought possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CSKA have a load of money. They gave $4M per year last summer to Kristic. Lorbek should get about the same.

At the end, it will depend on what is Lorbek priority. If it's money, he will go to CSKA (if the rumor of CSKA wanting him is real). If it's comfort, he will stay with Barcelona. If it's the basketball challenge, he will go to Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can imagine Lorbek passing on more money (CSKA), and more comfort (Barca), in order to accept a Splitter-sized deal to take on the challenge of the NBA. I can't imagine him passing on those things for the BAE.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sums it up.

Yeah and unlike Splitter, Lorbek has never given the impression that the NBA was his first priority. He wasn't interested in coming period until the Spurs acquired his rights and even then, the interest has seemed lukewarm.

And I take back the part where I said this: "Now, if their plan is for Splitter to be the centerpiece of a trade for an athletic, starting power forward, then I'd prefer Lorbek." I'd still take Diaw, because said athletic power forward could serve as the backup center at times and because the ideal role for Diaw is third big anyway. Plus, there's serviceable enough backup center options available in free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is obviously very talented, but I am not thrilled with him coming over. I have serious concerns about his game translating and he is a risk for the money likely involved. Spurs need to take risks, but I'd prefer it to be on someone atheltic and a little younger.

I wouldn't be upset if he comes, but I am not super thrilled about it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well we have to do something cause Boner sure as going to lead us to the promise land...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regarding how much it will cost to sign him, consider this

http://twitter.com/DraftExpress/stat...58150333145090
    "Sign of the times: Both teams that earned promotion to Spanish 1st divison (ACB) will decline for financial reasons. Tough summer in store."

Teams are declining promotion for financial reasons! I don't see anyone getting large offers in Europe this summer, and getting paid in US$ is looking much more attractive than Euros...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regarding how much it will cost to sign him, consider this

http://twitter.com/DraftExpress/stat...58150333145090
    "Sign of the times: Both teams that earned promotion to Spanish 1st divison (ACB) will decline for financial reasons. Tough summer in store."

Teams are declining promotion for financial reasons! I don't see anyone getting large offers in Europe this summer, and getting paid in US$ is looking much more attractive than Euros...
    CSKA has a lot of money.........

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if this helps/hurts Lorbek's chances but CSKA signed Zoran Erceg (PF/C)

http://www.cskabasket.com/news/?id=11323&lang=en

--

Not sure what roster size restrictions are for INT teams, but currently, CSKA has 13 (they had 15 for '11-'12 season).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then they are going to have to give him a load because it won't be worth much..pesos....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Emiliano Carchia ‏@SportandoBasket

Ettore Messina said that the rumors about a €44M budget for CSKA are not true but he confirmed that CSKA will have one of the best budgets

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Per Chad Ford: "Confirmed. 3 yrs, $15.675M Using MLE RT @HowardBeckNYT: Nets have reached deal in principle with Mirza Teletovic, source says.”

Is this guy comparable to Lorbek? If so, it looks like the market price may have been set for Lorbek -- full MLE.

Thread Information