Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    is it gonna happen?

if so where and when?

NT? more like SO i said
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    how about answering the question you gots?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is it gonna happen?

if so where and when?
    You're asking when is a nation we're at war with going to drop a 15 kiloton bomb on one of our cities?

Double facepalm...
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    You're asking when is a nation we're at war with going to drop a 15 kiloton bomb on one of our cities?
    I think that is what he is asking, but he could mean when is a nation we are at war with going to drop a 15 kiloton bomb on one of our cities named hiroshima, using a Boeing B-29... Does it also have to end an even numbered World War, like WW4?

NT? more like SO i said
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    tbh it's a plan that Al Qaeda has threatened us with. supposedly they've smuggled in numerous devices that are used to create nuclear bombs. the plan is to detonate them simultaneously in numerous US cities.

i've googled it but i haven't been able to find any articles about it before 2005 so i was wondering if anyone had any updates

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Hopefully it happens to north te....south Oklahoma. One of the unclassiest areas in the world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh it's a plan that Al Qaeda has threatened us with. supposedly they've smuggled in numerous devices that are used to create nuclear bombs. the plan is to detonate them simultaneously in numerous US cities.

i've googled it but i haven't been able to find any articles about it before 2005 so i was wondering if anyone had any updates
    Smuggled suitcase nukes are something that is plausible enough to worry about.

AQ *might* get its hands on ONE nuke, but the chances of several are remote to the point of impossible. Much more likely is a dirty bomb with nasty nuclear material making some area uninhabitable.

This is also why I laugh at North Korea and anybody else building rockets for nuclear weapons.

You don't need missiles, when Fed Ex ships anywhere, anytime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

AQ *might* get its hands on ONE nuke, but the chances of several are remote to the point of impossible. Much more likely is a dirty bomb with nasty nuclear material making some area uninhabitable.

This is also why I laugh at North Korea and anybody else building rockets for nuclear weapons.

They can't ship dAt BULL!! to random cucky's place to give summers a lesson is what i hear.

hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    armaggedon through a virus is more likely.

- Army of the 12 Monkeys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can't ship dAt BULL!! to random cucky's place to give summers a lesson is what i hear.
    Translation:
    Somebody's pouting because they didn't get the attention they think they deserve.

Quite frankly, I find it hard to respond to some of what you have posted here because it is so poorly written as to be incoherent. I don't say that with any ill feelings at all, it is what it is.

If it really means that much to you, I will find some time later today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    armaggedon through a virus is more likely.

- Army of the 12 Monkeys
    You wish.

-Skynet

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As we set yet again with BP leaking oil onto the Alaskan tundra right now, if an American reactor melts down, it will be due to corporate profit taking. The corporate mgmt of nuclear reactors to maximize their profits is much less trustworthy and error prone than the reactors themselves.

Blaaaah
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't need to wait for that, a huge financial crisis is on its way, thus a lot of country including america will be defunct before...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Being involved in nuclear security for some time, I can tell you that the threat is being taken seriously. There are many detection stations set up, some as close as your nearest traffic signal.......

That white electrical contractors van which keeps circling around our neighborhood seemingly lost? Maybe, maybe not . The devices which are onboard are sensitive enough to detect if someone has recently had a nuclear medicine scan (15-30 mCi initial dose avg).........from the parking lot across the street . On average, this is after about one half life for Tc-99m.

What I've seen and know gives me confidence in our ability to interdict a hazardous payload before it reaches any inland destination. The likelihood of any organization having multiple devices in place simultaneously for detonation is virtually zero. What you should be concerned about is costal/border detection. That's a bit more tricky. There are porgrams in place there as well although not as widespread as systems on land.

If I were a betting physicist, I'd say that an incident were most likely to occur at a border crossing or near a major port if at all.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Even if AQ smuggled a suitcase nuke in, the area the explosion would cover wouldn't come close to Hiroshima/Nagasaki. It'd be like a BB gun to a Howitzer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excellent post, Agloco.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if AQ smuggled a suitcase nuke in, the area the explosion would cover wouldn't come close to Hiroshima/Nagasaki. It'd be like a BB gun to a Howitzer.
    Well......not exactly. 2-6kt can still cause a lot of damage. Probably enough to take out one square mile depending on geography and detonation height.

Probably more like a BB gun to a Sawed-Off

But the issue is still the same, detection/interdiction before targets are reached. It remains challenging, but a task that the DNDO is equal to in my eyes.

If anyone is interested in nuclear forensics, determining where the material was sourced from is what the field is mostly about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I'm thinking of it, in this months issue (July 2011) of Physics Today there is a good article about the role of scientists in nuclear security (non-technical):

http://physicstoday.org/resource/1/p...s1?bypassSSO=1

Adventures in scientific nuclear diplomacy
    Siegfried S. Hecker

A former director of Los Alamos National Laboratory offers a first-person perspective on the important contributions scientists can make toward improving the safety and security of nuclear materials and reducing the global nuclear dangers in an evolving world

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Well......not exactly. 2-6kt can still cause a lot of damage. Probably enough to take out one square mile depending on geography and detonation height.
    That's the big difference, to me. When I think "suitcase bomb", I think of something going off at ground level, not having that full blast power.

Again, if you're talking "van bomb", slightly different scenario.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the big difference, to me. When I think "suitcase bomb", I think of something going off at ground level, not having that full blast power.

Again, if you're talking "van bomb", slightly different scenario.

I was thinking in my head about a scenario where a suitcase is taken up to the top of a well known landmark. Perhaps the Sears Tower or some other building with an observation deck.

At 2-6kt you'd only need to be about 200-300 meters up to maximize damage. Most of that will come from the blast wave.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

I was thinking in my head about a scenario where a suitcase is taken up to the top of a well known landmark. Perhaps the Sears Tower or some other building with an observation deck.

At 2-6kt you'd only need to be about 200-300 meters up to maximize damage. Most of that will come from the blast wave.
    I'm hoping that a person with a suitcase getting dangerously close to the edge of a high building would arouse su ion.

And fwiw, the Sears Tower has an observation deck but it's a glass "bubble" pushed out from the building. It doesn't have anywhere you can actually lean out and throw something, that I recall. Also, it's now called "Willis" Tower.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hoping that a person with a suitcase getting dangerously close to the edge of a high building would arouse su ion.

And fwiw, the Sears Tower has an observation deck but it's a glass "bubble" pushed out from the building. It doesn't have anywhere you can actually lean out and throw something, that I recall. Also, it's now called "Willis" Tower.

Indeed.

It wouldn't be so obvious though, perhaps disguised as part of the food service delivery for one of the eateries there. We've brainstormed scenarios with field agents, they have diabolically creative minds. Also, the term suitcase is simply a moniker. With a few mods you could deploy one of these things in a backpack or large handbag.

As for it being outside, that's an ideal situation sure. If anyone managed to sneak a package up Wills (lame name BTW....) Tower, its getting detonated as soon as it hits the destination floor. Best case scenario for a would be terrorist in that particular instance.

All in all though I think anyone with one of these devices would be content to detonate it at ground level. Just getting it to the target city would have been a major feat in and of itself.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

It wouldn't be so obvious though, perhaps disguised as part of the food service delivery for one of the eateries there. We've brainstormed scenarios with field agents, they have diabolically creative minds. Also, the term suitcase is simply a moniker. With a few mods you could deploy one of these things in a backpack or large handbag.
    Agreed. But there's no way to prevent an attack in 100% of the situations, without unfortunate side effects like giving up all of our liberty and privacy. It could be done, but I'd like to think it would be quite difficult to pull off, as you alude to below.

As for it being outside, that's an ideal situation sure. If anyone managed to sneak a package up Wills (lame name BTW....) Tower, its getting detonated as soon as it hits the destination floor. Best case scenario for a would be terrorist in that particular instance.

All in all though I think anyone with one of these devices would be content to detonate it at ground level. Just getting it to the target city would have been a major feat in and of itself.
    Agreed there too. Just smuggling a nuke somewhere would be a real coup, even if it didn't go off. The mere thought that a terrorist could even get a nuke, and then get it into position, would flip out a lot of people.

And most Chicagoans still call it the Sears Tower...

Thread Information